Search Unity

Fallen Spirit - RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Deleted User, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Edit, new thread to come (at some point):

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2016
    balaam and FBTH like this.
  2. minionnz

minionnz

Wow, looks amazing - Are you working with a team?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks, yeah there's a fair few of us :). Update more photos:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
  4. jonkuze

jonkuze

Cool! any chance for a Playable alpha Build?

5. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm a big fan of witcher 2 so this is interesting, how big is the gameworld? I ask simply because the screenshots give a good impression but are too geometrically lined up to seem other than placeholder atm which makes me think of quickly blocking out quite a large world and iterating. My own project i'm thankful doesnt need so much direction as an RPG so filling the large space can be procedurally done 'in an artistic way' i suppose. I have an ongoing joke with myself about trees when you need to render millions and millions of them, no idea how, i'm hoping inspiration/clever asset store person doesnt take too long

Especially with the tools you can get for unity now (and the insight you've provided on the forum) you should be able to make great on this, and i can always go for more witcher 2 style rpging

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ Kuroato

Not at the moment, it's more of a tech demo as opposed to a complete functioning item as we have spent ages upgrading things. Although once we have the new FFT ocean built then we can start on the dialogue system / cinematic's etc. Shouldn't be that long away :)

@ LazyGunn

The gameworld is big enough, along the lines of DAO and Witcher 2 but obviously we are not a team of a hundred+. As much as I'd like to do a massive sandbox it's off the cards at the moment (I know Dragon age 3 and witcher 3 are heading in that direction). That' being said, to get the whole storyline in, there's a lot of gameplay..

A lot of the tools we build ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  7. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

Looks very nice, would love to see more soon :D

8. lazygunn

lazygunn

Forgive me for random acts of generosity but i have quite a nice fft ocean which wouldnt be all that big a deal except those.. damn beautiful white caps. Very pretty, no shoreline effects however, and its a bit messy and i'd have to take the suimono stuff out (unless you have suimono), but it's beautiful and fast and very tweakable. I added a feature to change ocean states for eg wanting stormy. Youd probs find it useless but i can send the code and im sure you saw the video (hdr issues are fixed now), might be nice placeholder or a nice new look for an area

Just thoughts cause i have a tonne of junk that someone somewhere must find useful - i do admire teams that can focus on exactly what they want from a tool, but an old and funny blog for you, might not be relevant but certainly helped me appreciate my way of going about things

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Seg thanks I appreciate it.

@ Lazygunn,

I appreciate the offer but no need, we don't write everything from scratch as we have access to variety of different lighting systems, we have a self developed engine with tech in it we move back and forth and finally the Nvidia developers framework, with a lot of source and examples (Good one's too).. Example:

$NvidiaOcean.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  10. lazygunn

lazygunn

Im not sure you put anything after 'example', but thats a good bunch of stuff to have! I'm relatively clueless (ew people to educate me) but i do try be helpful, and i'm mainly tormented about the white cap ocean shader never finding a use - ill jam it into one of my endeavours no doubt

Keep the good stuff coming, i'm personally finding the gpu pro books pretty inspiring for where to take your ideas next, all the source for the 4 released books is available on the crc press website too, thats been my look at inspiring an active need to learn

11. aixaix

aixaix

This looks just amazing. Great work and keep it up!

12. Ninjashifter

Ninjashifter

Looks good, concept art is promising.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Here's the next set of screen shots.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
  14. GeneBox

GeneBox

Some quality stuff here, love it!

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ Ninja + GeneBox

Thanks really appreciate it.

16. Joker_54

Joker_54

Very nice Stuff you got there
    One thing though, I would definitely improove the Quality of the Textures inside and Outside of the church/Cathedrale, they look kinda old or misplaced.

But Indeed, very nice Art and Graphics.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah that cathedral is a complex nightmare and still a WIP, thanks for the tip.

18. AlwaysBeCoding247

AlwaysBeCoding247

This is looking great. Good luck with your project

19. SuperSlonik

SuperSlonik

wow, this looks so well-polished. Do you have any other concept art?

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is something we threw together in a couple of weeks, over the next couple of weeks to a month we should have a lot more to show :).

@ Always, thankyou :).

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

So we have been playing with Marmoset and have our own GI solution built, oh and we have the basis of a UI in too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
  22. Adinac

Adinac

How's the game play coming? Screen's look good.

23. nofosu1

nofosu1

Screens look great so far. Cant wait to see game play vids

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

After all the tech work the actual game components is moving slowly..

At a guess we should have a three scene demo for public release around october / november time.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Updated for all the new screenshot's on the first page.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Adding a picture now all the lighting is complete, new tree setup in and we have just added color grading.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
  27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Added some of the latest screenshot's to the main page, I think we are done tweaking the graphics and now we are focusing on getting more asset's into the game / improving the combat mechanics and getting the cutscene's done.

On the main page some updated screen shot's.. Here we have the Basic UI for the character selection screen.

Attached Files:

28. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

I just had to reply to tell you that I drooled over your screen shots. Drooled. Great work. :)

29. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Keep up the great work, Shadow!

Best,

Jon ;)

30. lazygunn

lazygunn

Gimme your GI system

Hah, its looking good, would love to see it more populated, definitely hit me up with an update come the time, if you can be arsed

31. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

AMAZING! Great work. Looks phenomenal. Would love to play it once it's complete.

Bookmarked :).

32. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahh also in response to your comment about marmoset, i'm pretty new to all that so i'm giving both skyshop and lux a look at as the opportunity arises, they both seem really competent, with Lux having the bonus of open source, free and pretty rapid and talented work being done on it. I suppose in the end you just use what's best for the job, perhaps i'll end up using a bit of a melange of both, i cant authoritively say!

Any feedback in that area would actually be very much appreciated, as i'm undoubtedly going in that direction

33. Kyle_Dewar

Kyle_Dewar

@ShadowK very nice graphics / detail I hope to see the gameplay of your work in the future. :)

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wow, thanks everyone. I should check this thread more :)

@ LG that was just a scene we were working on, we have 5 and thinking about doing a 4KM map next :) Looking forward to PBR in Unity 5 and some enlighten, Marmoset is cool though.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

35. Mauri

Mauri

Send you an PM.

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Edit not needed..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  37. Mauri

Mauri

What exactly did prevent you from replying me via PM (also called Private Message for some good reason) again then?
    The reason I've posted here was because I messaged you, didn't got any reply back so far and I wasn't sure if you got my PM.

Not really a good move from you at all. Too bad "confidential" seems to be a foreign word for some people...

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

Because there is nothing private or confidential about it and you're not the first person to ask, we probably will be releasing the ShadowEngine framework for Unity sooner or later and there may be a version of GI in there for Unity free also some upgrades for Unity 5 pro dependant on how easy it is to integrate. I'll be notifying everyone when we release our tech to the public. But as it stands right now, it's the last thing on our minds..

So I wasn't replying directly to you, sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I removed the post above, no hard feelings ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  39. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Those screenshots look very good I must say (found this project on ShadowK's profile)

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Amazing work :)

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks everyone, shame it had to come to a halt due to all the issues we encountered.. The game still will be released, but potentially not in Unity.

It all depends on Unity 5.0.

A visualisation of our caves scene:

$Caves1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  42. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Looks very good. Dare I say it reminds me of Skyrim caves in quality

43. Cheburek

Cheburek

What issues were you having problems with that would make you consider choosing different engine, just curious?

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

How long have you got? :D

Our main issue stemmed around the lack of 64-bit editor, we constantly reached ram limitations and using any additional extras like Beast / Umbra or Marmoset would kill the editor. It got to the point where we couldn't move an object, or select multiple cube maps or images without the editor crashing.

Secondly, the deeper we got the more bugs and limitations we uncovered with Mecanim, physics, terrain system etc.. We upgraded from 4.2.21f to 4.3.4 and the terrain system constantly became unresponsive or crashed. When we tried to revert back, we lost everything and our backups wouldn't import so we were stuck with 4.3.4 or nothing.

Thirdly, performance: We were always scaling back constantly to try and keep at the 60FPS mark, lack of multi-threading in areas caused major problems with main thread latency. So the game was starting to steer in a different direction than the concept specified.

At number 4: Time was a massive issue.. Umbra was hit and miss at the best of times, we ended up replacing the solution for one of our own.. We started working on tools for Cinematic / cut scene portions, as we couldn't export to Beast due to ram limitations we had to make a not very good but workable GI system, we spent a lot of time working on post effects. We were spending more time upgrading than making a game..

Number 5: I don't think I could re-count all the issues I came across, but I don't think our customers would like bugs. Without access to fix all the shortcomings our self, it's become difficult.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  45. Frpmta

Frpmta

Is this Unity?
    Looks like CryEngine.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

It is, after a lot of modification it's a replica of what we did in UE4 (I just wanted to see how far I could push it). I want to thank everyone for their kind words and best of luck to all the great developers who gave us feedback..

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  47. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Oh so you are evaluating Cryengine as well too then? Well good luck to you guys. Had no idea your project looked this good when I talked to you originally on the forums. Signatures wasn't enabled in my profile so I couldn't see the link to your project. duh!

Didn't realize this til Hippo (moderator) told me

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry I should of been more clear, everything I have posted in this thread was done in Unity. I evaluated CryEngine, Unigine, Unreal 4 and Unity.. The caves scene above we did originally in UE4 and replicated it in Unity. It took a lot of work but it's possible..

49. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Okay so just triple checking because I sometimes suffer from reading comprehension :)

This great looking scene is from Unity? This is one of the best looking scenes I've ever seen rendered in it to be frank. Good work

GarBenjamin likes this.
  50. Deleted User

Deleted User

I found these laying about from when were in concept, the original plan was just to keep it as is from the assets we had got. The caves scenes probably contribute to around 1 or 2% of the game.. This was after we had extensively modified lighting and post etc. Interesting to see how it would look in Unity 5.0.

Attached Files: