Search Unity

Super Chopper Squad

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jamie-lowes, Jan 25, 2014.

1. jamie-lowes

jamie-lowes

Hi,

I'm Jamie and I run a one-man developer called VAMflax. My next game is Super Chopper Squad :D

Super Chopper Squad - Click for full resolution, to see image effects.

I've been a videogame coder since 1997 and have worked for Sony, Sega, and Codemasters. I currently work at Codemasters, heading up the gameplay team of a next-gen racing game.

In my spare time I write my own games, and this thread will be updated with its progress.

I developed and published Chopper Mike last year. It's a helicopter time trial game, written in Unity, for iOS, Android, PC Mac. I'm super proud of the game, but feel there's more to the little universe I created than phones and tablets can, currently, support.

I am now developing a new game for PC Mac, called Super Chopper Squad. It's based in the same universe, and will feature Mike as part of a squad of characters who will fight a not-yet-designed foe, in some undefined way! Which, for the purposes of a WIP thread is great, as you get to see my thoughts and justifications for every little detail in the game :D

The screenshot above and video linked below is the current state of the game. It's using Chopper Mike assets for now, as I develop the behaviours and core gameplay, but they will be replaced in time.

I use Unity Pro, NGUI for UI, Marmoset SkyShop image-based lighting shaders, and Colorful post-processing effects. I'm using the Unity DoF effect and have a little controller for it that keeps points of interest in the scene in focus, it's pretty cool and I'll explain how it works soon.

There are more WIP videos on VAMflax.com, as well as other Unity prototypes, and I will be writing and publishing game dev articles there. Worth a trip! ;D

Super Chopper Squad - Current state of the game.

Chopper Mike - Trailer for previous game.

Hope my progress reports can be of some help. If you have any questions, email vamflax@vamflax.com.