Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

BoardGame - Khet (Game with Lasers and Mirrors)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Dejrullen, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Dejrullen

Dejrullen

Hi there :)

I'm still somewhat new to Unity and i thought i wanted to create a bordgame in Unity. So i decided to create the game "Khet", a chess-like game with lasers and mirrors :)

The rules are quite simple, each turn you can either move, or turn a piece on the bord. Whenever you have done so a laser will fire from your side, mirrors will ofcourse bend the beam, but i you're hit from a any other direction, the piece will die.
    Your main goal is to kill the oponents "Pharaoh", just like a King in chess.

You can only play vs yourself or a mate on the same computer at the moment, and i know the Camera isn't perfect, and sometimes the laser get's deflected the wrong way somehow, but this has all been done in a day, and now i need some sleep. Been fun working on it so far though :)

Link to webplayer:
    http://flemming-poulsen.dk/UNITY/4/

Screenshot(s):
    $khet.png

Update:

Controls:
    - Select a piece by clicking with your left mouse-button
    - Deselect by clicking on the board or the opponents piece
    - Once selected you can click the glowing indicators on the board to move there, or use the rotation arrows to rotate the piece.
    - Once you'we moved or rotated a piece your turn is over
    - You can rotate the camera round using W,A,S and D

Link to webplayer:
    http://flemming-poulsen.dk/UNITY/4/

Tell me what you think :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. Dejrullen

Dejrullen

just made a quick update:
    - the beam shouldn't get defelcted in the wrong direction now (hopefully!)
    - a few material changes

edit:
    Just noticed that the game does not work in fullscreen because it switches to 1024 x 768, which makes it impossible to see the rotation-arrows.

3. MrDonkey

MrDonkey

I thought it was a pretty interesting concept. A pretty cool puzzle-type of game. It would be great if there was some sort of tutorial in-game, because the controls and gameplay are not that intuitive. But making it in one day is a pretty big accomplishment.

4. Dejrullen

Dejrullen

Another Update:
    - You can no longer move onto tiles which are the colour of your opponent.
    - You can now rotate the camera using W,A,S and D for a better look onto the board.

@MrDonkey - Yeah i kinda agree, the game itself does take some getting use to, and i guess the controls are not as intuitive as thought they would be. I will definitly think of doing that, but for now i'm working on getting the game itself completly done, still need a few things :)
    I had the whole day off, so i could spend some hours on it, and i do know my way around C# already which makes things in Unity a bit easier for me to grasp :)

Small update + screenshot:
    - A text will now appear at the beginning and at the end of a round, letting you know who has the turn.
    - Added small indicators on top of the lasers to easier see which laser is yours when the camera is turned.
    - Inverted the vertical camera-controls.

$khet2_2.png

5. d_goldberg82

d_goldberg82

That's fantastic, do you have any plans to make the game available in the asset store?

Thanks

6. FlawlessOldie

FlawlessOldie

HEy are you still active?