Search Unity

Unity Standalone build running in full screen blocks Charms Bar in Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows' started by OmnivisionStudio, Jan 22, 2014.

1. OmnivisionStudio

OmnivisionStudio

Hi guys,

When I build a standalone version for Windows and run it on the Windows 8 desktop in full screen mode, it is not possible to access the Windows 8 charms bar by swiping from right to left on the right side of the screen.

An additional problem is that when you hit the Windows key on the keyboard, it opens up the Metro/Modern start menu of Windows 8. Normally, when you hit that key again, you should go back to your previously active application. However, for some reason the Unity standalone build does not get focus, so you end up on the desktop. To go back to the game, you need to click on it in the taskbar (or another possible method to switch programs).

All this behavior is not happening in a Windows Store App build. The problem however is that we need to integrate the game in a shell. And opening a Windows Store App from the desktop requires fiddling with registry keys, which is not really an option for us.

My instinct tells me it might have something to do with the Unity Playback Engine that somehow blocks Windows 8 specific behaviour. Other full screen desktop applications do not seem to have this problem. I even installed an old (non-Unity) game to be sure it was not a Windows 8 issue where full screen applications can’t take advantage of the Windows 8 features.

Also I have gone over the Player Settings for the build in Unity and haven’t been able to find possible options there which could be creating the Windows 8 ignoring behavior.

I Googled all morning and haven't been able to even find a vague answer to this problem. It’s a requirement we have this functionality working. I hope some of you here can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Omnivision Studio

P.S.:
    I also placed this question on Unity Answers, but I noticed it gets pushed away quickly by newer posts and answers handles every platform, while our problem is located on the Windows 8 platform specifically.

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Are you sure the expected behaviour for fullscreen desktop applications not block charms bar? From personal experience I can say that all games do that.

3. OmnivisionStudio

OmnivisionStudio

Hi

Thank you for the response. We have been doing some further testing with different applications and it turns out it all depends on what the underlying system of the application is. An AIR application will allow the Charms Bar, others aren't allowing it. The old game we tested is one of the applications that did allow the Charms Bar.

Just to be absolutely sure: there is no known system inside the Unity engine that is suppressing the Charms Bar, right?

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Not as far as I know. It does that by default in a fullscreen application in Windows - at least when a Windows is created in fullscreen mode with CreateWindowEx().

5. OmnivisionStudio

OmnivisionStudio

Ok. Thanks again for responding and thank you for your time.