Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

HD livestream as Texture with GigE-Vision

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by sirvivor, Jan 21, 2014.

1. sirvivor

sirvivor

Hello Community,

I am developing a system for digital sight in military vehicles by utilizing an Oculus Rift. We have several 1080p cameras which provide a 360° surround view. The Videos shall be displayed on rectangles like virtual LCDs. When they are positioned and scaled correctly it should be an impression like the vehicle would be topless ;). But we have two requirements:
    - Up to ten full-HD streams must be transformed as Textures.
    - Delay must be as low as possible to avoid virtual motion sickness.

Of course it’s easy to display a recorded video as texture on the virtual LCDs via Drag Drop but this is no real-time solution.
    I tried to update the Texture by loading only one changing JPG-file (HD) but then I was just able to reach 0,3FPS instead of 40FPS when using video-playback.

Generally the cameras deliver a GigE-Vision interface and it would be nice if I could directly include the capturing of the streams as a Unity plugin. Another software or video-server would introduce further delay. The camera supports several coding styles:
    YUV 4:2:2, RGB 24bit, Mono 14 (RAW data) all with a resolution of 1920x1080 @ 25 FPS
    (German Datasheet)
    http://www.cm-tech.at/upload/3502079-KappaZelos02150GV.pdf

I Tried to use the Manufacturers .Net DLL but it seems like some used Dependencies are not supported by Unity/Mono (e.g. System.Drawings) I would have to create an own wrapper for using the Plain C libraries. But even then I am not sure whether Unity is capable to handle the given Task.

Does anybody know a more elegant way to solve this problem or is my aim not achievable with Unity? In my mind it’s a lot of work to load so many large textures and render them at more than 25FPS.

This is my first Contact with Unity3d bit I am experienced in C, C++, C# and Visual Studio 2005-2013.

2. Staale

Staale

Could this be for a Leopard tank, in a land far to the north?

I'm guessing you've found a solution by now? In my experience, installing the 32-bit driver instead of the 64-bit solves most driver problems.

I will be dealing with the same things now, in a setup with 10-15 cameras, but with 4K/5K (Emergent Vision Technologies) over 10GbE.

Previously, I have created 3D side-by-side video by using SDI to HDMI AJA boxes and BlackMagic Design Ultrastudio to get it into Unity. Getting both images into one, single texture gives better FPS. Since you are using 1080p cameras, you could use Pleora’s vDisplay HDI-Pro External Frame Grabbers to get HDMI (also for distributing video to several displays by HDMI), then go side-by-side before importing to texture. I cannot go this route since there is no 10 GigE 4K to HDMI yet.

Please send me a message if this was unclear - or if you want to exchange tips & tricks.