Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Island ScreenShots

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by LittleJ, Jan 21, 2014.

1. LittleJ

LittleJ

Hey guys, made an island and took some screenshots to see the results.
    I think they turned out pretty nice, What about your opinions?

2. xt-xylophone

xt-xylophone

To be honest it looks very unnatural. If you were after a cartoony style then its pretty close with the bright textures and sharp edges.

If you are after more realism you're gonna need more than, by the looks of it, 3 textures and blend them much better.

Also a scene is greatly improved by playing with the fog and light colours to create an 'aerial perspective'

3. LittleJ

LittleJ

Thanks, its only really the first actual island i have tried to make. Thanks i will take that in mind :))

4. Livvy

Livvy

I would also grab some different textures from the standard unity ones , check the asset store as there are plenty of free ones. Lighting is also very important.

I am not sure if it is still available but there was a "Terrain Tools" made by unity i believe. It was a very helpful tool for creating terrains.

5. LittleJ

LittleJ

Okay, thankyou! I am currently looking into lighting aswell to get it more realistic.

6. Livvy

Livvy

Another thing you could try is to make a very small terrain. Say about 50 x 50, try and focus on making this tiny little scene as nice as you possibly can. Once you have practiced on this smaller section then try expanding into a bigger world.

Focusing on a small section has helped me greatly, especially with regards to object placement and texture blending.

If you need any help feel free to drop me a message.

7. Gobla

Gobla