Search Unity

Developing Heart&Slash, a fast paced 3D brawler game with rogue-like elements

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by HeartandSlash, Jan 21, 2014.

1. HeartandSlash

HeartandSlash

I am developing Heart Slash, a game about fighting, configuring robot parts, and love. It can be best described as fast paced 3D brawler with rogue-like elements. As Heart you'll fight through three enemy-filled levels, fighting for your freedom to avoid industrial standardization. Modify yourself to adapt to the environment and become so dashing and irresistible nobody will dare to look away.

So it's finally time to show more than just some videos of this. Some of you might have read the devlog blog, but for those new, I present you the Heart Slash pre-alpha.

The game is a 3D brawler (think bayonetta or DMC) cross with roguelike elements. I have been developing it for some time now, and it's getting to a point where, as I close on the alpha, I need feedback on practically everything.

That said, here are the download links (controls are explained in-game):

I'm looking forward to read what you guys think!! At this point it's difficult to see things in perspective... ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. RedVonix

RedVonix

Excellent artwork - love how you combined the 3D with the pixels art - very smooth. Once I got into the game though, I couldn't seem to get out of the second room. The camera was also a bit tricky to work with - check out the camera in Kingdom Hearts for some ideas.... the movement of yours might be just a bit too fast, and positionally too close to the player. Overall though really liking what I'm seeing - gonna have to keep tabs on this one!! :D

3. Ashment

Ashment

Either this requires a controller, the mac build isn't working, or I'm missing something pretty obvious here... I can't even get past "Press Start" on the mac build. I'm pretty sure I pressed just about every key.

4. HeartandSlash

HeartandSlash

Thanks for the comments. There seem to be an issue with the Mac build, working on it now and will send another link soon...

After finishing implementing all the player related content for alpha, the next milestone is to implement the enemies and the scenarios. I started with the enemies, since I need them to design and start to balance the levels.

Previously, I had three enemies implemented with three parts each. The plan is to have 5 enemies with 5 parts each.

This week I have fully implemented one enemy, with 6 different parts (4 very different and 2 that are variations of 2 of those). Not only that, but I also made 4 versions of the enemies, so I could color code the resistances/weaknesses of the enemies.

This, for example, is the basic enemy with a taser-lance and a shield: $UPcbNGH.png

And this is the Rubber enemy (slower, bigger and weak to fire), with a pair of swords: $qSpWHxi.png

And the crash test Dummy version. Weak to electricity but very strong against physical: $HbLvalR.png

The weapons, sword, lance and pair of swords are self explanatory (the dual swords make the enmy attack in a three-strike combo).

The shield, however, can use some animations to visualize. Notice the shield also confers the enemy and evade (this enemy is the ceramic variant, weak to physical attacks -which are most- but faster. Brittle and dangerous):

5. HeartandSlash

HeartandSlash

A sneak peek at where the Heavy Lifter stands now:
    http://i.imgur.com/5TXtSN1.gif

That's a lifter with armor (the black and yellow stripes) and a tank turret. Currently the possible variants are:
    -Standard
    -Flyer
    -Armor
    -Turret
    -Armor+Turret
    -Flying+Turret

I'm going to implement a new part and the Heavy Lifter will be done. I have decided against resistance for this guy since it's base health is so big resistances will make it tiresome to defeat.