Search Unity

[WIP] Platformer Pro

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnnyA, Jan 19, 2014.

1. outtoplay

outtoplay

Bueller?

2. Alessandro-Previti

Alessandro-Previti

Hi! The plugin looks great, I am eager to get it! Should I wait for the pro or projects developed in the old version will work with pro?
    By the way, does any of the two versions support wall run (i.e. Rayman origins\legends) ?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Firstly sorry to all those who posted questions here ( @outtoplay, @garrido86, @vidjo , @kilik128, @robinball ).

I wasn't getting notifications on this thread so didn't know that was happening. I've now added it to watched threads list.

This project has been stalled as work and family life have been busy but it is not dead. All major updates go to my youtube channel ( youtube.com/user/JNAMobileHidden ). Most importantly I've got 3 weeks off for holidays which should be enough to get some major progress (maybe even an initial release).

Here's the feature list I'm working to for the holidays (note that this does not include features already delivered).

Must Haves

Movements:
    - Double Jump/Triple Jump/N-Jump

Interactions:
    - Decaying/Falling Platform
    - Keys and Doors

Animation:
    - Mecanim Animator for 3D

Items:
    - Collectible items (coins, lives)

Code Fixes:
    - Wrap GUI/Inspector code in #if UNITY_EDITOR

Camera:
    - Camera follow with smoothed centring

Input:
    - Sample with Xbox and PS3 controls (okay to use Unity inputs)

Should Haves

Movement:
    - More wall movements - Jump, slide, run, etc.
    - Ledge Hang and Climb
    - Swimming
    - Ropes

Interactions:
    - Trampoline
    - Fan
    - Pipe <- Mario Style
    - Button and Lever Example (trigger with animation)
    - Bobble Bricks <- Mario Style
    - Break Bricks <- Mario Style

Overrides:
    - Default Movement Override from Power Up - Example: JetPack
    - Animation Override from Power Up - Example: JetPack
    - Single Movement Override - Example: Cut Scene, Ragdoll
    - Complete Character Switch -> With animate character running on/off?
    - Example: Example: Pick up axe and you have an axe, you can attack with it, and you can’t double jump.

Camera:
    - Camera follow with boundaries (start move only when some percentage of screen from edge).
    - Camera follow with chunks (move a full screen width when hitting edge).

Attacking:
    - Eight-way shoot

Animation
    - Legacy 3D Animator

Input:
    - Configurable Input Sample
    - Touch Input Sample

Collisions:
    - Auto collider creation (static)

Integrations:
    - Ferr2D
    - 2D ToolKit
    - cInput2

Nice To Haves

Overrides:
    - Complete Character Switch with animated character switch
    - Basic cutscene mechanism
    - Ragdoll

Interactions:
    - Pickup/putdown/throw - Mario 2 style
    - Push and pull boxes
    - Physics interaction
    - Rope bridges
    - Gravity switch
    - Loop-de-loop

Animation:
    - Step climbing for 3D
    - IK on slopes for 3D

Collisions:
    - Auto collider creation (dynamic)

Integrations:
    - Playmaker

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Wall run is not supported in 2DPC but will hopefully be in Platformer PRO at some stage (maybe not initial release).

5. kilik128

kilik128

Ok will wait for him for start 2015 ! :)

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Just a quick update on Platformer PRO, some videos will follow in the next few days (or maybe a bit longer... internet is terrible here).

Features Added
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Crouch and Crawl
    Double Jump
    Camera(s) with scrolling and zones
    Collectible and Stackable Items
    Jetpack with Optional Fuel
    Legacy 3D Animations with easy drag and drop configuration

Next step is to build some sample games which I will release here. Then back to features.

7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Found a public Library with some slightly less slow internet so posted a couple of rough cut sample scenes.

Although WIP I guess the main point of interest is that both these samples were created with zero coding.

Next thing on the agenda is the Mecanim Animator(s) for 3D and also a set of movements which use mecanim root animation instead of translating the character directly.

vidjo likes this.
  8. kilik128

kilik128

Final ik get root animation and direct translate combine it's very interessing technique

9. vidjo

vidjo

Kilik128, can you explain any more about what you mean?

10. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Unity IK (pro only) will also be included, although maybe not first release, but it will be separate to the movement. You should be able to use IK with both direct translations and mecanim root animation. You can also mix and match, for example ledge climb and other acrobatic moves are likely best done with mecanim target matching and root animation, even if the rest of your movements are direct translations.

11. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Here's an update which goes in to lots of details on creating enemies (it also shows some of the new stuff in the CommandBro Sample such as animation overrides, particle effects, destructible platforms, the ground movement RollOnFall, etc).

The video might be a touch boring as it goes through all the details feel free to skip :)

Performance is a bit crap as my laptop can't handle the video recording at full screen very well, so the jittering isn't present on normal play (or even mobile). Demo's will eventually be published for IPhone, Android and Web so you can verify.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  12. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

So is there any way to get access to these tools like a beta/alpha? (if I had to pre-purchase I wouldn't mind)

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'm hoping to have a closed beta in a few weeks time, which will be available to a limited number of users selected from those who own my "2D Platform Controller" asset. However I wouldn't advise making a purchase on this statement alone as I can't be sure when the beta will be ready.

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Howdy guys just quick text update, I'm back at work but have managing to get a bit done on the train every day (I have quite a long trip in to work). This week been focusing on verifying my claims that the package can theoretically support any kind of movement by implementing some advanced movements: namely 90 degree wall running and sonic style loops (i.e. complete 360).

They are all but done and you should have a video of it over the weekend (although it wont be very pretty as I haven't got art for a sonic like demo yet).

@Alessandro.Previti (just tagging you as you were interested in this)

15. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

And a quick video as mentioned, basically showing loops hit at various speeds and a few other bits 'n' pieces:

Next is finishing off input system, cleaning up some of the inspectors and maybe a couple more platform types and I think we will be ready for closed beta.

16. Clintmcc

Clintmcc

I purchased this asset quite some time ago and I'm really excited to see the updates for the 2.5D aspects. Will the 2.5D have a shooting mechanic? Really excited dude, can't waitto see it. Keep up the good work.

17. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

2.5D will have everything that 2D has including shooting. The mecanim animators are done including the ability to add overrides to cover thing like (for example) holding a light or heavy gun while you run around. My only roadblock there is that I don't have animations/models to support it.

18. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Very excited Johnny! I put my passion project to the side back in April while I waited for this release :p. Would love to get on that closed beta when it's ready.

19. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Drowning Monkeys Send me an email.

New demo scene coming soon, this one showing some more enemy behaviours and movements plus six-way aiming/shooting.

20. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I posted another sample which includes six-way shooting:

I've also added a (very) simple menu system and the ability to configure keyboard input in game. Once joystick input is also configurable in game (soon) then I will write up some doco and begin the beta testing!

- John A

21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Configurable controls for keyboard and joypad are in place, and a simple (but fairly flexible) menu system is almost done too:

22. ZenUnity

ZenUnity

Looks great Johnny. I look forward to hearing how the joystick input is coming along :)

23. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Looking Great! One problem... every video makes me want it NOW! (patience is a virtue I know) lol
    I can't wait to use some of these awesome scripts in my project. In particular the six way aiming looks handy. I appreciate the hard work your putting in, and can't wait to purchase day one! :)

24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

The first beta is ridiculously close, I just need to add some more doco to the web site and do a quick step-by-step walkthrough.

Before release there are a few keys things to do: I'm still waiting on some 3D art so there isn't a pretty 2.5D sample yet and there are a couple of key movement types I haven't fleshed out yet. Still assuming no big problems in the beta it shouldn't be too long.

Thanks for your support and patience.

ZenUnity and aL0nerWolf like this.
  25. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

26. vidjo

vidjo

Looks amazing. Cant wait!!!

27. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Sent the first beta out to some folks last night, and also started putting together the Loopy Hamster sample (which includes 360 loops :) )

* drum roll *

28. nluckett

nluckett

*drum roll*

29. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Just a quick lil sample (recording is a bit iffy, mac is not liking the recording software I am using).

TheValar likes this.
  30. kilik128

kilik128

Gg sonic si back in mario :)

31. abatcat

abatcat

Great hamster :D
    Any chance you may release a small playable demo first?
    I am very curious to find out how the character controls "feel" in your engine. Sometimes, even though the engine is great the movement can just feel wrong to some people.

32. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@abatcat All sample games will be playable on the web before release. With some luck I'll publish a few on mobile too although that might not make first release.

Also note that if you aren't happy with feel let me know, one of the main things I'm aiming for is ability to tweak the feel, each movement has a couple of simple settings to get the basics right but most have many options in an advanced tab so you can tweak them:

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 9.28.19 pm.png

33. abatcat

abatcat

Thanks, that looks great :O

34. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

So I didn't get to packaging things up for beta :(

On the other hand I did add a music player, a sound FX wrapper, ability to tie sound effects to animation states (and also play different sounds depending on different ground), plus volume controls, menus to control them and an in game pause with menu.

Pause menu runs off the same system as the other menus so it can be easily customised including transition effects, fonts, images, and the menu items themselves.

35. max05

max05

Hi Johnny,
    I've been following this thread for a long time. This looks really really amazing. Do you have any idea when it would be released? What's the current status of the development?

36. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi @max05 thanks for your interest.

There is heaps of doco to write and tutorial videos to make, and there are still a lot of features I would like to add. I also want to polish up and grow the samples as thats one of the main things people will use to judge the product.

That said I think its better to get it out there sooner rather than later. I'm hoping to submit to the Asset Store in May (thats a hope not a promise).

The second round beta should go out in days.

- John A

37. max05

max05

Thanks for the info, sounds good. I'll check this thread regularly to keep up to date.

38. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Hey Johnny, I was thinking about purchasing your 2d platformer controller to get a jump start on a project. I just wanted to know if it will work fine "out of the box" with Unity 5. Just curious because some scripts that I had done myself in 4.6 needed some tweaking when I moved my project over. (because of the API changes)

39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Daniel311311 no guarantees , with PRO only around the corner I havent tested 2DPC on 5. Several users have reported it works, but no idea how thorough their testing was.

- John A

40. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Thanks for the response. I ended up getting it, so far everything is working for me. I've only messed around with the character controller in 2d. Once purchased, do I need to sign up in order to get a chance at the Beta?

41. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Platformer PRO Beta 2 is released!

@Daniel311311 send a support request to register for the beta.​

42. zenGarden

zenGarden

It looks great.here is some things i owuld like to see included before considering a purchase :
    - ladders
    - railings like Snes Mario
    - wall jump
    - jump on top of ennemy to damage it like Mario
    - destroyable crates or blocks
    - water and underwater swimming
    - jetpack
    - some sort of wings like god of war game to fall slowly
    - melee combat for player and ennemies : attack and blocking possibilities for both

Keep the good work.

43. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@zenGarden A lot of the things you list are already done (some since early version from more than a year ago). Heres a quick summary with video links if available.

ladders - done already - lots of early videos, for example skip to about 11:00

railing - not sure what you mean

wall jump - done already I think one version of its in command bro video... skip to about 1:10

another version more like super meatboy is also available

mario jump kill - done but not in video

swimming - not done, probably version 1.1/1.2

jetpack - done already see jetpack video

slow fall - done already not sure if its in a video ( I think its in one of the videos as a power up, but not sure which one)

melee combat - done already see video (skip to about 2:00):

doesn't include block

NOTE: A lot of those videos are old and the systems are better than the video depicts.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  44. zenGarden

zenGarden

Each feature should be in a list and highlight in a video, it's only making kit more valuable ;)
    If you make a features video listing all features that you update regulary it could help, and many of us look at summary videos first.

It would be great.

Is there some dangerous areas like Lava zones system ? you walk on it and your health will decrease regulary at regular intervals as you keep walking on it.

When does your kit comes to Asset Store (out of Beta) ? some estimated date ?
    What will be the price ?

45. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

There will be plenty of promotional material when the kit is released, these videos are aimed at providing details for the many people who have been following Platformer PRO since it was just a twinklin' in my eye.

The tentative submission date is sometime in (i.e. late) May, but it depends on what comes out of the next round of beta testing. Price will be around $75 on release.

PS Railing already done, as are hazards which deliver damage over time.

zenGarden likes this.
  46. zenGarden

zenGarden

47. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Once the product is released you can compare the features sets and make your own decisions. If another asset meets your needs and is cheaper then of course you should purchase that one!

48. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Hey Johnny, been digging into the beta. Even in this state there is so much content that I can integrate into project, and I've learned a lot from seeing how you implement your scripts. I was checking out the Pixtroid sample, and the aiming system would fit well into a project I have going. I was trying to figure out a way to separate the aiming from the movement when using a controller. For example with a 360/X1 controller I would like to use the left joystick for left right movement and the right one as the axis that controls the aiming. Which script would I have to access to do this?

Thanks! I can't wait to get my hands on the full kit. :)

P.S. I have to say that looking at all of the features you have videos for, along with what I have seen in the beta, I think yours is by far THE best solution when it comes to game controller/editor extension assets on the market!

49. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Howdy @Daniel311311 I was actually planning to have a stick based aiming sample in the initial release (really wish I had the 3D art that I was supposed to have by now :s ).

Given you asked so nicely how about I add it to the pixtroid sample in time for the next beta version which should be this Sunday.

- John A

aL0nerWolf likes this.
  50. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Now THAT is what I call customer service! :) I would appreciate that immensely my good sir.