Search Unity

How Much Would You Pay For This Game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Foofy69, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Foofy69

Foofy69

Now first off, this game won't be done for QUITE some time. BUT, it will surely come out hopefully this year. I am the one and only developer, so I have to (and want to) do everything. Model, Animate, Audio-Things, Script, The game engine itself, etc. and I am pretty new to overall game-making but am making progress so amazingly quickly, I'm surprised myself. So now that you know this, let me describe this game.

This will be the very first (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong), First Person, RPG, Open World, Adventure Game, with only a few (maybe none, still deciding) survival elements. And also I am trying to add lots of humorous objects, characters, and events in this game that will make everybody of all kinds of humors laugh often. I've already got a few character models that look hilarious, as well as some things in the story. And the thing about this game? It's for Android and IOS. I also hope to make one of the biggest maps that has ever been created for mobile devices. So think of a game similar to The Elder Scrolls games, except.... it's different. I promise it won't be a ripoff of the game at all, and it will have quite a few of its own twists to keep it 100% original. A few additional details, I am hoping that the main story line will last at least 65+ hours if you enjoy it and don't rush through it and read most of the dialogue, and so on and so forth. And then there will be side quests, hopefully lasting another 20+ hours. And also like the Elder Scrolls and the Fallout games, it's never ending. If you're done with the game, you can still totally play and explore as much as you want to find items, locations, and other things. There will also be a whole entire religion system, which will for sure be very interesting, which includes 6 gods, as of right now. And it's based on if you follow certain gods, then there are pro's and con's to each one that you choose. There are so many clothing combinations, so many weapons, and even 7 awesome Particle Powers (basically spells that you cast out of your hands, like in Skyrim or Bioshock) which you have to complete certain tasks to level them up to make them stronger instead of just having to get a certain amount of kills with them, insuring you won't get bored any time soon. These are just some of the features, there will be PLENTY more, these are just some of the basic things that I feel would make this game awesome. I was thinking about putting this game up for 10$. Do you think I should sell it for more or less? What would YOU (not what you think other people will) pay for it? Thanks guys.

2. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Rule 1 of a developer: "You can't put any price to a game that isn't done in any stage (Alpha, beta or final version)".

Good luck!.

3. Ninety_

Ninety_

Seems like a good idea, and I wish you luck in developing it. But I'd be wary about making a ~60 hour long game for mobile devices. People with mobile devices like to pick them up, play a quick game and put them down again at a moment's notice - this is why games like Angry Birds are so popular. People like to play mobile games, say, on the train, or while waiting for a bus. This game sounds like it could take a while to get into, so you should think about whether it'll be accessible to that kind of crowd. Good luck anyway.

4. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

If you're new to game-making, I suggest you scale the game down to like 5% of what you planned, or it's not going to happen.

5. Foofy69

Foofy69

Well I'm not too far into the process on coding yet, but how about something like if they press the exit button, then it'll automatically save it, so they can stop playing right as they need to, or something. And I'll insure that it won't be hard to get into and there will be enough action within the very beginning of the game. And thanks also, KirbyRawr, i'll keep that in mind.

6. Foofy69

Foofy69

Actually yeah, I'm not rushing through the game or anything, I'm doing it very slowly but very surely and learning lots. I'm just getting the absolute basics set up (castles, a few weapons, etc). So I won't have to do that later. I'm learning only a bit at a time and totally not biting off more than I can chew.

7. squared55

squared55

Err, no offense, but I think you are. Attempting to make the biggest anything isn't a very good idea for your first game. :)

8. Foofy69

Foofy69

Ah jeez. Well, you don't have the right to believe me because I forgot to mention what I do, which is looking at tutorials for UnityScript and Blender (my modeling program) and when I learn to make something, I change up a bit what I made and just put it into my game just to play around with it and see what it looks like/does (basically combining all the tutorial and models that I learn to make) I'm going to delete the whole little "project" of everything that I put together later on to make the whole real deal later. This is how I'm learning at the moment.

9. Zeblote

Zeblote

$0 - there is no game!

10. TheShane

TheShane

You're not biting off more than you can chew. You're trying to fit an entire, living cow in your mouth.

But keep doing what you're doing. A year from now you won't have this game anywhere near complete, but you will have gained a lot of new skills and a lot of perspective. Best of luck.

11. Foofy69

Foofy69

This made me laugh so hard. But seriously, I'm not. I'm taking everything at a pace that is just right for me.

SAY I DID FINISH IT. How much do you think that this game should be priced at?

12. TheRaider

TheRaider

nobody can possibly give you an intelligent answer to this. Not a single screen shot or game play. Based on your description there is no product so nobody would consider buying it. If you put it on kickstarter nobody would back it.

Worrying about price is pretty much the least important on your massive list at the moment. Worry about price/how to make money once you have a fully working alpha build.

13. rbx775

rbx775

Foofy, what would you pay for my new music album ?
    It has 4 Rock songs on it and several love ballades about deer hunting.
    They are almost ambient tracks except for one where it goes badumm ba dsss dsss dsss badumm at the end along with some gunshots being fired.
    But I can always change that to badumm ba dsss badumm dsss dsss which might be even more sensual.

I also planned on making it availabe for 10$. What do you guys think ?

:p Agreeing to my previous speakers.
    A game is about so much more then only ideas.
    Quotes like: "It only takes good ideas, man" are strong romantizations of course.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  14. SodiumSandwich

SodiumSandwich

Creating a large map for iOS/mobile will be difficult job. I mean, iOS/Android/mobile would have a map size limit, smaller than a PC, only because it has a smaller processor and less power. If you want a really huge map, I'd say going with PC. Also creating bigger things on iOS/mobile would create compatibility issues, say iPod 4 users might not be able to play but iPad users could.

Putting that aside, good luck with all your endeavours, and enjoy programming your game!

15. Blacklight

Blacklight

I wouldn't pay a cent. Not even a byte of my downloads.

What you have here is not a game, but a pile of ideas. Pitch me the ideas behind Aliens: Colonial Marines and I might jump with joy, but there are so many other factors that are necessary for me to decided whether or not it is worth the purchase, like the skill of those developing it, the budget, etc.

What you have here is lacking in those things. You have only ideas, and that's really not even worth a thread on this forum.

16. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

To him you must listen.

17. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

18. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

lold :D
    Best answer for this kind of threads!

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Man you are eating a whole cow aren't you?

20. Siddown

Siddown

Foofy69, just to be clear, ideas are worth about as much as the paper they are written on, it's all about execution of those ideas. Derek Sivers summed it up best about a decade ago when he wrote:

Since your idea seems to be "like Elder Scrolls...but different!", I'm not even sure that qualifies as a great idea. It's a bit like me saying "I've got an idea for a new social networking site, it's like Facebook...but different!"

As others have said, concentrate on executing at least an Alpha, if the idea AND the execution is good, people will pay for it.

21. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I think it's safe to say that I would be willing to part with $15. If it was being sold for $10, I wouldn't even buy it, because that would be like insulting you, good sir. The gunshots are a nice touch. I want to feel the pain of that deer, I want to live its tragic story.

badumm ba dsss badumm dsss dsss?
    Somebody lock him up, for blowing my mind!

22. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

Lolwut...

Anyway, replying to the thread starter.

For me it's like this, since it's for mobile you can go for.

Dungeon Hunter alike = Free to play, make money from store item purchase.

Zenonia alike = Free to play, make money from store item purchase.

GTA series alike (open world) = $6.99 - $9.99 and add another function to suck gamers money from store item purchase.

Final Fantasy mobile series (100+ hours gameplay) = $19.99 but unless you can make story that good... Or make a good establishment from previous title, it's hard to sell at that price tag.

23. sedativechunk

sedativechunk

Hey Foofy69, I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. Not to sound like a jerk, but like everyone else here, this is all "ideas" and to be honest, it sounds a bit like every other game on the market! It's a FPS, adventure style RPG, open world, blah blah blah....
    Number one, you got money on your mind. That's not a bad thing. We should all strive to make financially successful games. They take heart and time to put in. For some of us, this is all we do is program from home, doing games/website programming and the works (I'm one of them ;) ). But in the video game world, it's VERY hard to sell an indie title, even for pocket change. When you sell a game, you are competing with everyone in that market. On the phone, you are stacked up against Angrybirds/Angrypigs, Sonic the Hedgehog, Candycrunch Saga, Scramble, Tetris, and even freaking GTA to name a few. What is so great about your game that you are going to outdo them, some of which are free?

The thing about most of those games... they are simple. They work well on the phone. Candy Crunch is a very simple but successful game. Scramble and Words with Friends are very simple. They are quick games that the non-hardcore gamer audience can enjoy. What you are aiming for is to make a complicated open world FPS. Technically speaking it would be too complicated for a phone. On top of that, the average phone consumer doesn't buy cheesy open world FPS games. 45+ year old phone owners who have kids and a mortgage aren't going to drop $10 on your game, they wouldn't evne try it if it was free. They like viral, popular, simple games.
    Second, your price point is ape crap for a mobile game IMO. When I buy a phone game (or think of people that do), typically a good price is $1-2 dollars. Why do you want to avoid a $10 price on a mobile game? Because people are already paying $80+/month for their mobile phones alone. It's hard to swallow even more money on top of that for alot of people.

Lastly, you should not make this game for the money. Several years ago, I started making a side scroller game. Making money off of it was my first goal in mine. I rushed the game out there, tried to get it published (on Xbox 360 years ago), and ended up wasting alot of time and alot of money. My game wasn't that good back then and I was totally full of myself. Now in 2014, I've resurrected the game from the dead. I'm making money a secondary goal - my first goal is to make a kick butt (sorry don't know the swearing rules around here) game. And so far, the game is coming along astronomically better because I'm taking my time on it and enjoying it. If your heart isn't in it, your game is going to suck. People will smell your bullcrap before even seeing it on the app store. You have to want to make a good game, NOT make some over-the-top crap just for the money. And your idea doesn't sound that original considering you said "kind of like Elder Scrolls". Think of something truely unique and simple for the phone, put your mind to it, and then put it out there. Make money a secondary objective.

24. landon912

landon912

So you plan to make a game on a larger scale then skyrim in one year and no money? Cause it only took 150 men and 100's of millions of dollars to make a smaller scale game in a few years; you should be done at the end of the year right? Wut

25. primus88

primus88

I think it is pointless giving advices to anyone on the internet. Seriously.. a waste of time.
    Even by some miracle, the person you are giving advice too understands, he will still do it his way just to see if it's true.

So this is what will happen (it's a vision):
    A. you will lose your excitement rapidly (two- three months) and abandon the project (this is what happens to 95% of the projects started by newbie devs)
    or
    B. you will not manage to finish just because of it's pure size and resources needed (models, animations, scripts, AI, optimization, level design, story writing and soooo much more ).

If by a miracle you manage to finish the project somewhere in 2018. You will come to the harsh discovery that the success of a game is based on 10% idea, 35% execution and 55% marketing and hype. Yeah, so after all that work, you will discover that you will have to spend even more time and efforts marketing the game, make it available to the public.

I see a lot of children coming to these forums giving some ideas and calling that work done. I'm sorry to say, but while I'm in the bathtub I have about 50 'great' ideas in 15 minutes. But you know where real life starts to kick in? When you try to put them on paper and you realize that some ideas take too much resources and even more ideas are not even fun when mixed together.

Being a game developer means seeing your dreams crushed first in order to have them come true later.

Gl

26. sti4thewin

sti4thewin

1 person, 65+ hours of open world gameplay, optimized for android/ios?
    Uhhhhhh........ Good Luck.

I hope you prove everyone wrong.

27. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

The truth is strange than you think it is. I get resumes of people who, work more than 3 months for free for various people. One hapless person has CV/resume where he worked for free, for various people, for 1 year, unpaid.

When you think about persons who advertise for $50 per week for 8 hours, 5 days a week, there are even worse people who make their contractors, ahem, slaves, work for free for many months.

I feel my money is not so good. If other people are OK towards working for free, why should I pay monthly wages for?

28. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Love ballades about deer hunting? Take my money now!

29. sc3

sc3

I like your enthusiasm, but agree with the others. Actually you aren't just "trying to fit a cow" in your mouth, I'd go so far as to say a whole farm. When you start off, certain things look simple. But when you're thinking of a game to the massive scale that you're thinking, everything becomes so much more complicated. And to be honest, someone with little experience does not yet know enough to realise how big and complex projects can get. "The more you know, the more you realise you don't know."

Your project is not something even the most experienced and professional game developers could do, on their own, in SEVERAL years. Unless you're talking about something that is very bad quality and full of bugs. You will learn a lot though if you try this for even a few weeks. You will fail a lot (the best way to learn).

Don't get ahead of yourself, I recommend you start smaller (much smaller) and work your way up as most people do.

Also as mentioned: It's worth 0$ until there is something to show.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  30. Meltdown

Meltdown

ROFL, one of the funniest quotes I've seen on these forums. And true as well.

I wouldn't pay anything for this game. Because it's never going to be finished.

31. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

I will be paying you US$ 1000 if you deliver your Skyrim-quality level mobile game with 65+ hours of fun made by one man by the end of the year.

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's easy...

...as long as you don't want it to be good. I'm sure I could make, for instance, a game where you just walk around in a giant empty place for 65+ hours that would work on mobiles. Add some kind of simple repetition mechanic and you have a "game". Think something like Desert Bus - just drive through repeating nothingness and keep guiding the bus back onto the road.

33. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

The Kaizo version makes is so that invisible triggers placed strategically - that is, in a certain radius of the starting position - teleport you back to the starting position.

Man, this is a genius idea. OP is going to be the richest dev evar.

34. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

we all have grand dreams, but we need to think realistically. if i was dreaming of being a pro hockey player like wayne gretzky but different, it would take a lot more than just a bunch of ideas about how i would skate and shoot and pass, and practicing a few basic moves by myself. you have to work your ass off just to even be considered for the minorest of minor leagues, and even then its still a long way to go. go and read gigi's stickied thread.

35. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Man, I have have had sooo many ideas over the years on improvements that would make hockey so much more interesting. Of course, I play hockey very poorly. (I was 20 before I ever put on skates). My siblings and I came up with a ton of improvements the game. If only the NHL would give me a shot...

36. Meltdown

Meltdown

Hockey is one of the toughest sports to become pro at if you learned to walk before you could skate lol.

37. tatoforever

tatoforever

38. daisySa

daisySa

LOL - too funny! :)

39. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Totally. I was a able to become a competent skater at 20. I was even decent at being able knock the puck around. But adding other players,.. it got complex real quick. I still had to "think" about skating. I wish we had ice rink when I was learning to walk... sigh...

40. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

this should be an unskippable ad that every new user has to watch before they are allowed to post anything.

41. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Yes, please!

42. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Parts of that video are good, but it’s too extremist on the negative side, and that alone can take away from the video's credibility.

43. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Yeah I'd agree. There are indeed lots of people who will play games just to gun down nazi zombie robots, but I think a good chunk of the market has more "sophisticated" tastes.

44. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

that video was made by an idiot.

you can do anything that you know you will , if you do not believe you can accomplish it, you wont..... but if you believe you can, you can.

the video is made by someone that wants you to lose, you can say to them that They are the loser.

man, the games they make nowdays SUCK BAD! .. i could make something better than that crap... im sure you can too.

GTA5 was a pos. lol (besides the graphics)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  45. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Except that the majority of newbs don't actually know or understand that their plans/ideas are not realistic and can't be done in a reasonable amount of time.

46. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

thats just it. when someone says "i'm learning how to program and doing game engine tutorials, and i plan on making some small projects and working my way up until i can make my dream game which is [...] and i'm actually designing it and not just giving a general idea" than thats awesome
    when someone says "i have no idea what im doing and can barely use my computer for normal things without breaking it, but i have this wicked awesome idea thats like a mix of all these other amazing games but different, and i need everyone to help me for free and when it does make millions which it will for sure because its so awesome, then i might pay a small percent" then they are an idiot.

i agree you shouldn't let negative people talk you out of your dreams and goals, but you have to think about how to actually get there and what its really going to take for you to do it. its not like the movies and tv specials where a kid decides he wants to be the best at something and a montage later he can beat the pro whos been doing it for years and years but is mean to him so that makes him the bad guy.

47. anonymous108

anonymous108

if you sell it for one cent, and million people will buy it , you'll earn some 1 000 000 cents, means - 10 000, 00 dollars...
    that's it...if only some 100 people will buy it - you'll get your 1 DOLLAR