Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New Standard Assets - a.k.a. Sample Assets, Beta Release

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by duck, Jan 17, 2014.

1. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

Hi all!

As mentioned on the blog, we're pushing out a beta version of our proposed update to the Standard Assets that come bundled with Unity. We'd like you to try them out and give us feedback. These aren't replacing the Standard Assets in the Unity installer just yet, so you can download them as a separate package from the asset store.

If you haven't read the blog post yet, check it out here, and then come back here to let me know your thoughts!

$LINKPIC.jpg

The highlights include:
    • A New First Person Character: Physics-based, with head bob movement and footstep sounds.
    • A New Third Person Character: Using root-motion animation driven movement, and physics-based.
    • A Sample 2D Platformer Scene
    • Camera Rigs: Free Look, Auto Follow, and CCTV
    • Car: A fully set-up next-gen example, and an "empty" version for you to add your own 3D model to.
    • Aircraft: Two different styles of example aircraft (Jet and Propeller driven), plus you can make any GameObject fly with the scripts!
    • Cross Platform Input: Various mobile control rigs ready to drag and drop into your scenes. Our samples above use these.
    • AI Examples: Showing how - with the proper componentised set-up - you can swap user input for a simple AI input.
    • Prototype Environment: For quickly blocking out level designs.

UPDATE: Try the Webplayer demo of these assets here

UPDATE 2:
    Released new version of Sample Assets Beta. Changes include:
    * Fix for first-person controller so it sticks to ground when running up/down slopes.
    * Added simple arcade style 2-axis aircraft control example.
    * Added "Handheld Camera" prefab. Has realistic fuzzy tracking of object, and auto zoom to fit target in view.
    * Updated mobile particle effects for better performance.
    * Character model ('Ethan') re-skinned, fixed bone weights, joint orientations and interactions, and blending errors.
    * Added Blackberry platform to cross platform input code.
    * Better cursor locking handling.
    * Fixed camera in car scene, so loop-the-loop is possible!
    * Added custom defines in Cross Platform Input, so examples will work without Cross Platform Input package (for when packages are separated).
    * Added menu item in Cross Platform Input so user can choose between mobile/standalone input when testing in editor with a mobile build target selected.
    * 1st person character plays jump sound during repeated jumps.
    * Optimised 3rd person character so rayHitComparer is only created once.
    * Made controllers handle the 'no MainCamera' problem.
    * Made aircraft point nose (a little) down when stalling
    * Clamped input magnitude of 3rd person controller, so diagonal movement is not faster than forward movement.
    * Removed dependencies between packages.
    * Removed unused ref to ThirdPersonCharacter in FreeLookCam
    * Script tidying
    * Increased skybox resolution import settings
    * Small scene improvements (cam positioning, obstacles)

Although you can leave comments on the blog post, this thread is for more in-depth discussions and Q&A about the contents of the package. We will also most likely post here when we make updates to the package.

You need Unity 4.3.3 or later to install this package. If you don't have it, you can grab it here.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    John3D and Magiichan like this.
  2. dariuszpietrala

dariuszpietrala

Is the car made for mobile? Or is it like the previous one? I would be great to have a car made for mobile ;)

3. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi Dariusz,

We've been testing on mobile from Iphone 4 / iPad 2 level upward (plus android, windows etc), the car is optimised, will have a little more optimisation done to it, but is not what you'd call a low poly asset, its designed with next gen in mind.

Will

twobob and Alte like this.
  4. diogomota

diogomota

awesome!

i was about to start writing a script for multi-platform controls, will try this right away

5. Daviz

Daviz

I can´t download that asset from asset store, it says i have to have unity 4.3.3 but I have 4.3.2f and if I check for updates in unity it says that unity is up to date :/

6. dariuszpietrala

dariuszpietrala

Thanks Will,

thats great news. I want to start a new project, and it will only be a 1 car game, so maybe it will do. It would save me a lot of work ;)
    I have a Xperia P and Xperia Arc S. I'll check the car on both and let you know what happened.

7. SketchWork

SketchWork

@Daviz, you need to go to the download page on the Unity site.

8. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

@dariuszpietrala - The car scripts and the "empty car" prefab is also designed to be usable with any other car models that you might want to use (there are plenty others on the asset store). It's pretty simple to drop your own car artwork in and get it up and running! Have a look at the guidelines txt files included for more information.

9. lmbarns

lmbarns

Why do you guys make it so only people with the newest unity version can download? Couldn't you guys export a copy with version 4.2 or something?????? Which part of it is a 4.3.3 specific feature only...?

10. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Nothing, but do you have a reason not to upgrade? Its an asset store restriction we're working with tbh.

If you don't want to install 4.3.3 over your existing 4.2 install then simply install it in another directory.

11. DaveA

DaveA

Exactly. I understand 4.0 vs 3.5 or something. But things that can be used with older versions should be. Esp. the 3.5 compatibility, for people who couldn't afford to upgrade to 4.x

12. DaveA

DaveA

Will we be able to include these samples in our packages we sell on the Asset Store? For example, if I'm writing some shaders and want to show them off, could I use this car? Or if I'm doing some animation scripting, could I use this character in my package? With due credit?

13. matthew9815

matthew9815

i think i found a bug in CAR :/
    There is no decelerating.
    If i don't touch gas button car still getting faster :/

14. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

This is cool.

The thing about the package shipping with Unity and being linked to the Asset Store, though - that's going to change eventually, right? Like eventually it won't ship with Unity, but there'll be some front-and-center way to download 'starter packages' from the Asset Store, from these assets to the various game templates etc… right?

15. Baroni

Baroni

In the 2D character controller example, pressing left/right when crouching stops the character and ignores further user input. Also you might want to consider using the same key for crouching across scenes, in the 2D scene it's "ctrl" but the third person samples use the "c"-key.

Thanks for these, I like the aircrafts :)

16. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

I'll echo the other users requests to lower the minimum requirement to a 'real' requirement. At least make it 4.3 and not 4.3.3, that way we understand that 2D features are required for some of those assets.

The rational is that there are cases (like mine) where the engine upgrades to specific branches happens once every.... couple of years. I understand I might be the exception but I don't expect to go over 4.3.1 for at least 2 years, seeing it's quite stable.

Thank you.

17. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

@matthew9815 You're correct, the car is supposed to slow down if you release the throttle! In fact specifically, the Car's rigidbody component is supposed to have some drag, but it looks like it somehow got set to zero. You can solve this by setting the car's rigidbody drag to a value of 0.1.

Noted, for next release, thanks!

18. dariuszpietrala

dariuszpietrala

@duck Thanks ;) I'll check that soon.

I've checked the scene on Xperia P and Xperia S and it runs nice :)

19. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey guys, once again - I understand frustrations for those on 3.x - but a lot of the features used here include the 4.x Animator, so would not be backwards compatible, apologies for those feeling left out in this regard.

I don't quite follow those with 4.x licenses not wishing to upgrade or install Unity 4.3.3 in a separate folder to get this project if you really don't wish to upgrade. 4.3.x are bug fix releases, why not grab em! and if for whatever reason you're at a company whose IT refuses to upgrade you or you're working on a project that needs to stick to a version, just install separately and grab the project - it still works with 4.3, mostly likely with 4.2 also.

I understand if you're worried about bugs in current versions, but like I say either install in a separate location, or wait for a friend to throw it on a file sharing service ;)

20. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

@superpig Hey - yes that's the plan, we have a new feature coming later which allows for stuff like this, this beta is part of that plan.

21. matthew9815

matthew9815

Great!Thanks for replay!And you understand my english :O
    Sorry for my English BTW
    @edit
    Car,AirCraft,first person and third person works great on Nexus 4 stock 4.4.2

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  22. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Finally!!!!
    Hell Yeah, I've been waiting for something like that for a very very long time. aaaa a dream come true :)
    i got to say its miles better than the old one, and now people can easily create and start there games just with these assets! amazing job!

BTW do you support a 2d AI example as well? and also are the scripts in javascript and in c#?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  23. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

@Frostbite23 Thanks for the feedback, glad you like it! No, we don't have a 2D AI example yet, but it's a good idea. Consider it noted! And no, we decided to go with an all C# approach for the new stuff, so there are no javascript versions of these new sample assets.

24. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

awwwwww man, well thanks for the reply, can't wait to see the 2d AI (hopefully).

25. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Really a wonderful set of examples. Thanks you a lot!

It will be interesting have crouch and corner peek movement in character controller example.

26. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

I like them, really a good example.
    Play quite awhile with the example scene.
    I haven't see the script yet, I hope the codes are all commented since I'm not really a programmer. :)

27. Rirath

Rirath

Just wanted to say thanks guys, this set looks great and is much appreciated. Good call on moving Angry Bots to the Asset Store and replacing it with this.

Good call here as well. I'm personally of the opinion Unityscript and Boo should be phased out.

Not that I disagree, but just to give you a quick and simple reason: I didn't upgraded from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 because it was a 1GB download for a single bugfix that I didn't need. I hadn't even realized 4.3.3 was released.

Unity needs delta updates.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  28. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

By the way, if you want to quickly find all the scenes in the project, filter the project view to show only scenes, like this: /tDps $17-01-2014-23-21-23-7efc.png

29. lmbarns

lmbarns

Yeah I've had some game breakers with Vuforia and 4.2 and above. If you use 2 cameras and gui it gives a black screen on mobiles...they've supposedly worked on a fix for 4.3 but I had to roll back to 4.1.5 and the vuforia version 2-6-7 and I have no problems...

Also it's kinda an annoyance because I don't upgrade every time there's a new version because I've had nightmares in the past with vuforia breaking, I have 4.1.5, 4.2, and 4.3 installed but haven't got the latest 4.3.33, so it's more of an annoyance seeing something in the asset store and having to stop what you're doing and install unity again because there's a small patch...rather than just being able to download the asset.

For example people having blackscreen issues with newer unity + vuforia:
    https://developer.vuforia.com/forum...ussion/camera-showing-black-screen-android-42
    https://developer.vuforia.com/forum...iscussion/black-screen-when-loading-ar-camera
    https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/device-support/black-screen-samsung-galaxy-trend
    https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/ios/video-renders-black-second-time
    https://developer.vuforia.com/forum.../black-screen-issue-android-v-287-unity3d-430
    https://developer.vuforia.com/forum...al-discussion/v-267-doesnt-work-unity-43-beta
    https://developer.vuforia.com/forum...device-black-screen-after-i-call-function-cam

:(

30. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I look forward to checking out the Flying AI. I've been slamming my head against a wall for a few months now trying to get something feasible with no luck. I really hope what you have works well. My main concern will be keeping the AI from flying through the ground, and through obstacles, and through ...stuff... which is the biggest pain so far. I also hope that your AI doesn't "turn on a dime".

Wow, this just sounds all negative. I'm actually very excited to see what you've put together and in the process of loading up the newest version of Unity right now. And just an FYI - I've been teaching myself unity C# for the past year and a half so that I can make games for my now 9 year old boys.

31. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Well, the Airplane AI flies a hell of a lot better than I can. I added the script, set a ring as a target, and off it went. I can barely control that airplane when I was using keyboard and mouse, but the AI can control it perfectly. Not sure how to make the controls easier for a user, but the AI is really good. I'm going to try this AI control on a Wasp or Bumble-bee to see how it behaves and cycle through some targets.

32. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Any thoughts on how to make a verticle takeoff and hover mode...think bumblebee

33. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Sweet! Thanks again guys! The only thing is that the virutal joystick input it's clamped in a square area instead of circle area.
    Everything is cool!

34. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

This is some really fun stuff. Great Sample Assets. I really like all the examples you've put together. If you are looking for suggestions, then I would really like to see a Bird, or Fly, or something that takes off vertically can hover and flies around. This action could be used for spaceships, flying animals/bugs/robots/so on.

35. landon912

landon912

Looks great can't wait to try it out!

36. Createman

Createman

In the First Person Sandbox the ending sound for jump is not played when player is running and jumps towards a slope.

37. DaveA

DaveA

Coincidently I'm working on an asset that does a better job of this, hope to have it up soon (still working on jumping, hang tight!): http://bit.ly/1dENxco

38. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I can't get the jet airplane to take off from the runway using XBOX 360 controller. The throttle and rudder work but the flaps on wings don't work for pitch and roll. The mouse works for pitch and roll.

39. Dantus

Dantus

Have you though about using namespaces? Of course they only work for C#, but as you are aiming for good practices, this would make a lot of sense in my opinion.

40. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

@jeffmorris1956 To use a controller for pitch and roll, you'll need to set those extra axes up in the input manager, like this:

$18-01-2014-12-50-20-e43d.png

(I don't have an xbox360 controller handy to test right now, you may have to change the axis numbers that it's reading. I'm pretty sure it's the 4th and 5th axis for H and V on the right-hand side control stick.)

And you'll have to change the AeroplaneUserInput script to read the axis names that you choose, something like this:

float roll = Input.GetAxis("Roll");
    float pitch = Input.GetAxis("Pitch");

I've used the regular unity Input class there, but if you want to continue using the CrossPlatformInput class and the mobile aircraft control rig, (so that you can deploy your project to mobile, but also use your controller on standalone) you'll also need to change the tilt input part so that they provide values for your new "Roll" and "Pitch" axes, instead of providing them as Mouse X and Mouse Y, like this:

$18-01-2014-12-57-20-018d.png

Enjoy!

41. ZJP

ZJP

@OP
    Does the new Character Controller works in zero (or custom) gravity? I mean around a sphere or a planet?

42. mathias234

mathias234

The new first person is really nice but he can walk up anything aslong as its not above 90degrees

43. 00christian00

00christian00

This looks awesome.

By the way, the guy from Bearapocalypse is skinned much better than Ethan. Since I get Ethan will be your new main character for Mecanim you would want to fix it. Specifically the head is all wrong, moving the Jaw in any direction result in some creepy horror result :D
    The neck side movement also produce errors.

44. jocyf

jocyf

Great assets, the car example is amazing and the scripts are very clear and well commented. The waypoint system is more advanced (splines) and is very easy to setup inthe inspector (using property drawers).

I dont like the First Person Controller, i prefer the previous one but it has a nice camera effect when jumping/landing. I allways liked more the CharacterController aproach to do FPC rather than using a rigidbody.
    All is done using c# (finally!!!!!).

The prototype models and textures are a very good idea. I would like to see more basic models (including 'cubic' basic characters with animations, cars, , planes, trees, etc...).

45. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

This new version of Unity is breaking some of the assets I use, so I am going to have to go back to the prior version. Ugh, what a headache. For one, it's not liking Rain which I really enjoy using.

46. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

@00christian00 - we are aware of the problems with the Ethan character, we'll aim to fix them and replace him in a future beta.

@ZJP - it does not - though its not a common thing we are asked for, and we try to make generalised assets for the Samples - with the intention that they should teach users certain effective skills by example.

47. RayKatz

RayKatz

I really like the new FPC (old one gave me a headache), but I can't seem to manipulate him with AddForce and ForceMode.Impulse. I want to throw the player away from explosions or give him sort of a air-jump-boost, but the FirstPersonCharacter-Script cancels it. Any help?

48. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

For your next update - I think that you should add some commented code in the Update FixedUpdate of the AI Scripts near the Move piece. For instance, you might put //Move (Vector3 move, bool crouch, bool jump, Vector3 lookPos) below line 38 of AICharacterControl.cs as a reference (line 98103 on Airplane control, line 170 on Car control).

Also, why don't you use FixedUpdate on the AICharacterControl (you use Update instead). You use this on the Car Airplane.

49. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

A quick note: I've updated the first post with a link to a webplayer demo of these assets, for those of you who want to check them out before downloading the package (or updating your version of Unity!)

Try the webplayer demo here!

50. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Wow those sample assets really impressive, some question about some of them :
    - why no point light support in lightshaft?
    - is it possible to add some random noise sampling for lightshaft when using low sample?
    - for First Person Controller when running and reaching at the top of the slope why it alwasy ended up jumping? is it intended? (I know that it was Rigid body based, i'm just curious)
    - For TPS is it possible to add as sample of IK system blending for feet and hands(when playing animation)? and climbing :p