Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New Standard Assets - a.k.a. Sample Assets, Beta Release

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by duck, Jan 17, 2014.

1. isacan

isacan

i import package and i use free look camera rig in my scene but CrossPlatformInput.GetAxis ("Mouse X"); and CrossPlatformInput.GetAxis ("Mouse Y"); when mouse movement get 0 and not change camera position

Can you help?

2. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

@isacan: Is your build target set to a mobile platform? With a standalone platform selected, you should get the regular values when moving the mouse. With a mobile build target selected, you need to make sure you have one of the control rig prefabs in your scene too (in particular, one of them which maps mobile inputs to Mouse X and Mouse Y, such as the Mobile Character Control Rig or the Mobile Dual Stick Control Rig).

3. isacan

isacan

camera default look at z. can we change to look x?

4. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

The first person controller has some nice ideas, but I think it needs way more work.
    For instance, because it's rigidbody based, when you run up a ramp, the momentum carries it off the ground for a bit.

5. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

6. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

I just noticed that it's now 4 am, and I should probably have gone to bed a few hours ago.. anyway, I've been having too much fun playing around with the different scenes and objects.

My largest "eyesore" however is with the aircraft you've made, stalling feels wrong. Usually a stalling plane would go into a nose dive, yours just drops like a rock.
    I know there are probably larger problems with the pack xD, but would it be possible to fix this? =)

A few other things that can be noted are that both 1st and 3rd person character controllers feel a little too "static". I bought "Ultimate fps camera" a while back, and their setup feels very fluid and dynamic, comparatively yours currently feels more clumsy when moving around (I know it's hardly a fair comparison since their setup is also a lot more complex, but that's the best comparison I could think of =) )
    Also, the 2D character controller can't jump very high if moving towards a wall.
    I'll post more if I find other oddities =)

7. TRIAX GAME STUDIOS

TRIAX GAME STUDIOS

HI Duck! And Unity TEam !

Thank you Deeply So much for this Standart Assets Packs Examples !
    Expecialy for sending them for free ... You guys ReaalY Rule !

You Are helping alot of indie Starters as me ...

Its Incredible how CLEAN things are Done when done By UnitY Team.
    YouR EXamples are reaalY greath !

THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING !

Best regards

PS: Can i Humbly Ask a Litle Improvment ?
    - In the Third person Character Example : Could you Guys make The Character FLY and Also CLING To Edges and SCALE Walls And Double jump Like Jump Against a Wall And Rebound back , As well take damage if falling to high ? That Would be reaaly Awsome Rad And a Dream Cometrue for me And i bet many ones Seriously ...

THANKS !

TRISH DIAN
    TRAIX GAME STUDIOS

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I had to change the Input.GetAxis names to the right thumbstick X and Y on the XBOX 360 controller. I had to invert the right thumbstick Y.

9. p6r

p6r

Impressive !!!
    I like this package a lot ! It's really great for "almost beginners" too.

This is a very attractive package to start creating 2D and 3D games for new users, for example. And that's a good point !
    As a teacher I have noticed you have tried to make it as easy as possible to use and for me it's fantastic for game creators and especially for new users who can't be frustrated anymore.

In addition to this, the asset store and the great assets people can do allow users to "easily" create games or apps. Creativity is the most important word for me and I want to thank the Unity team for this package and for a lot of other things...

6R

10. Tanshaydar

Tanshaydar

I've been using a rigidbody FPS controller for a long time for the game I'm developing at the moment, and I have to admit that this new rigidbody controller is better than what I have come up with. Really, it is a life saver especially considering the sync between head bobbing and footstep sounds, I couldn't manage that.
    Also, the AI module is nice to play with, but still further than what most people need. A simple A* implementation for it would be much better, not that I need one, it works with my current AI.

I couldn't ask for more, but crouching for rigidbody controller would have been excellent. Anyway, devs should add to the game right, Unity shouldn't make the game by itself :p

11. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

@Triax - thanks for the feedback, yes we'll definitely iterate on what we have character wise though the idea with these assets is to provide an example you guys can extend easily, we'll probably do tutorials on how to do this at a later date once the assets themselves are refined. By The Way, YouR USE of CapiTal LetTers is incredible.

Everyone else - some parts of characters we made are restricted by having to rely on the default input settings - basically the asset store doesnt ship with input settings included by default, so we could make them easily enough but they wouldn't get to you. We added support for this as an option for Complete Projects category, but we know that with Sample Assets (And standard assets before them) users often import this stuff into an existing project - and we did not wish to accidentally overwrite your settings, so we went with simpler input commands for now.

Unity is revising its Input manager so at a later date all of this stuff will be easier. Anyway folks, look forward to more iterations on these assets soon.

12. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

overall, good stuff! I like the particle effects and the light shaft stuff is pretty intense!

However, the head bobbing script needs some work. I'm noticing some really jarring snapping behavior when running on slopes or on narrow spaces, such as the maze walls in the prototype level.

13. Karmalon

Karmalon

This is great stuff. Great resources. Loved the headbob but it's a bit too intense. Finally a good First Person Controller :)
    Particles are also pretty awesome! Keep it up.

14. Dantus

Dantus

That's awesome! Looking forward to it!

15. DrBlort

DrBlort

Loving it so far!

One thing that I'd like for a future release, is common gamepad mapped as standard (i.e., Xbox 360, DirectInput controllers). It's a little dissapointing that I want to control the car, airplanes or the TP character with it, but only works partially :)

Plus, a standard scene for remapping input keys in runtime would be awesome.

16. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

Yes, I vote for key re-mapping in run time too.
    That's standard in much games nowadays.

17. squidbot

squidbot

Very minor issue to report: If you import the sample assets in to the 2D platformer sample project (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11228) they both contain CameraFollow.cs and cause a compile error.

Interestingly, the two files are identical except in the platformer sample TrackPlayer() is called in FixedUpdate() but in the sample assets it's called in Update().

Otherwise, looking great so far!

18. yuewahchan

yuewahchan

For the Third Person Character Animation fbx, is it possible to clean it up some unnecessary mesh while exporting form 3d modelling tools and the import setting is consistent.

For example:
    Mid Air.fbx, Jump And Fall.fbx, Idle Jump and Fall.fbx and Crouch.fbx - contains unnecessary mesh and avatar definition
    Idle.fbx - contains unnecessary avatar definition, should be Copy From other Avatar
    Run.fbx, Run Turn.fbx, Run Turn Sharp.fbx - Rig Source is missing
    Stand Turn.fbx - Rig Source is missing
    Walk.fbx, Walk Turn.fbx, Walk Turn Sharp.fbx - Rig Source is missing

19. haim96

haim96

all the sample scene seems to be focused on mobile.
    but why non of the controls works on editor? is all of that is for mobile only? (touch screen) :confused:

20. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

@haim96 If the build target is set to a mobile platform, you'll see the mobile controls and you'll need to use the Unity Remote application on your mobile device to control the app.

If you switch the build target to Standalone or Webplayer, you'll be able to control it using mouse and keyboard.

21. LaneFox

LaneFox

These are actually really great, I'm messing around the the First Person Character the most, but all of the examples are quite good.

I'll see if I can break something on the FPC soon.

22. haim96

haim96

ohhh! didn't think about that... my sandbox project is set to android. i will try this again with desktop settings.
    by the way, it's amazing that most of the sample scene are 100~ drawcalls but yet running fast.
    while my game is 20-25 drawcalls but feels much heavy even on the editor.

i guess i have much to learn...

thanks!

23. That's awesome! Haven't tried all the scenes yet but seems very good stuff!

24. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

I have two things to say about that: Great and finally!

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great asset, thanks guys.
    I've been struggling to find a good sample code to manipulate flight and this is quite useful to understand a couple of things (even if my idea is more of a helicopter-like type of control).

:D

26. Mikie

Mikie

Great stuff. I was wondering if you have published any of the apps to an android phone(Droid 2). Unity version 4.3.3. All my apps from 4.3.3 work initially but when I leave the app it locks up my phone.

27. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    I appreciate a lot the assets offered.
    Perhaps the Ethan character can benefit by a different structure, with fewer materials. Also, its idle animation, where he looks at the side all the time, is funny :)
    Kind regards.

28. DexRobinson

DexRobinson

Such an awesome package from the looks of it. Something Unity definitely needed. Can't wait to try this out later! Just from the Web Player demo, the AI Character movement was a bit jerky when turning.

Does this require Unity Pro to use all these features?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  29. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

"Wow. This. Is. Amazing!!" Ive never seen something as this before, uploaded by the Unity developers themselfs. I really got to say that this is just awesome work. This is THE solution to make the part complete of my singleplayer game it's plane attacking scene.

Besides that, I got a few questions:
    - When this version is actually finished, will it be available for free on the asset store?
    - Or will you split this up in several projects?

My wish for Unity I always wanted:
    - I'd like to see a system where you can simply put a model in a scene, attach a movement script so it can walk, and the final touch: Easily setup the bones (arms, left leg, right leg, head etc. just like a ragdoll) but then it just can actually walk, based on the default animations in the package.

30. KennethVedder

KennethVedder

@duck This Pack is a big step forward i've noticed that you can use the CrossPlatformInput command only on C Sharp, and i would like to know how to use it on JavaScript, is there a different command or line for Java to use the CrossPlatformInput?

31. XCO

XCO

I just want to say Thank You, No other company gives us as much as UNITY DOES! :D (UNITY for LIFE)

32. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Really really great assets! Especially the light shafts effect!!! I really can't point this out enough. AWESOME work! I noticed that the HDR flag on the main camera of the first person controller causes some trouble with the bloom anamorphic lense flares :/ But it is still a beta, can't wait for the final Sample Assets :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  33. Voronoi

Voronoi

Sweet! Really nice examples and huge upgrade from the previous first and third person controllers. I also like the way the scenes are set up the same way, with mobile options when available. It's great to see best practices generally and showing how to get set up for cross platforms is excellent.

I didn't notice during import, but is it convenient to import specific parts without importing everything? For example, I might have a project already created and just want to optimize it to work across platforms. All I would really want are the mobile-specific optimizations and possibly the mobile example scene. But I really don't need all the controllers, airplane example etc.

In the past, de-selecting items in the list would inevitably break whatever I was trying to target so I usually just import everything.

34. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

The new First Person Controller is finally able to walk up steps, very nice, I can't quite figure out how to adjust the volume on the foot steps.
    Any Ideas? Also is this designed to change the foot steps sounds according to surface?

35. andyz

andyz

These new assets are great, the only thing is the vehicle meshes are far too detailed for prototyping [in contrast to the basic environment blocks] - perhaps you can include low detail alternatives (e.g a boxy car like in 'Randomation vehicle physics') and low/high detail scenes or something?

The car demo only runs a lowly 20 fps in the editor on my [lowly] laptop, almost entirely down to the detailed car mesh and shaders and also multiple light sources (50-60 without the visual flare)

36. Michard_

Michard_

Wow! These assets are a nice upgrade, I specially liked the First Person Control I've some time searching for something like that. Also I felt the new car more reallistic than the car used in the unity tutorial. However the plane was kind of confusing to control. Everything else is Ok and it'll be a really nice nice upgrade for old and new developers. Thanks guys!

37. AaronC

AaronC

Good stuff. From the weeby, it seems the player gets stuck in the fps scene due to the lock cursor thing, and with the car sandpit, the audio is all over the place, its like the reves need to ease into each other rather than jump all over the place like the lead guitar break on a bad metal song

38. liven410

liven410

Played Around it on webplayer and herezz a friendly FEEDBACK
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Scene= "AI Car" Type= Bug Fix or Improvement required
    If you place the maker exactly to the nearest left of nearest right of where the car is standing right now, then it will start moving and keep on circling around the target and will never reach the target's center point and thus will never stop.
    Simply saying "Short turns needs fix"

2) Scene= "Car Sandbox" Type= Bug
    No break control.
    Eg: Pressing space-bar not applying any brake to the car. Only way now is to apply a reverse throtle by pressing the down arrow key.

3) Scene= "Car Sandbox" Type= Feature Request
    Please try not to release without a N.O.S aka (Nitrous Boost) effect. Say, on pressing 'N' key on keyboard.
    A beer for you :) if you can make something damn cool like the "3-step tripple-power rotating graphics instant nitrous" (the name explains it Right!!) used in the games like Asphalt 6 Adrenaline. With Camera - to - car distance slightly increase on applying nitrous boost, as if the we are watching the car from another car behind it, and it it appears to move away from us very fastly as soon as it applies the nos. And after Nos is over , the distace to carmera again gets the same.

4) Scene= "Car Sandbox" Type= Improvement required
    - Its very hard to control the car, if you have gained a good sum of speed.
    If it is fast and if you turn even little bit , it keeps on like sliding on the floor to the extreme left or to the extreme right.
    - Drift sound is nice but car engine sound is again no good like the old original car tutorial

5) Scene= "Plane Sandbox" Type= Improvement required
    - Keyboard + Mouse combination is little bit hard to controls.
    - If possible can you give control options as gui buttons below the screen like:
    a) keyboard only b) mouse only c) keyboard + mouse (with option to swap mouse axis)
    If not! then atleast do this:
    Please give the mouse axis swapping option, to use the mouse movement forward for plane movement up.

6) Scene= "AI waypoint based car" Type= Feature Request
    If possible , pls provide the waypoint contol for the end user, where he can put the waypoints with the mouse press (just like or better than the ones used in AIDriverToolkit on asset store) and can see how well the car behaves if these are placed very closed or in a zig-zag fashion. A start point to end point or for a looped or close track. Where the way points are visible on screen and the track or ground surface is not on at the same height everywhere.

Well! I know its bit more than just a feature request, but as i said "If Possible!" :)

Particle Sandbox is cool, but it reminds me of the Detonator Parametric Explosion framework.

Overall:-
    if you don't mind, around 7.5 out of 10 :)
    Whatever the fix/ improvement / feature required, the package as of now is a Wonderful Box full of damn COOOL stuff. :)

39. mustafa

mustafa

WOW, Thanks this is awsome.
    I like that you coded it in C#, much better.
    I like that your using rigidbody with the character controllers. And the FPS head moving is nice too
    I love the car physics, its just too much fun :)
    The plane example is nice too but you can't pitch and roll with the mouse properly, you need to move the mouse nonstop to move, you just can't controller it with the mouse, I had to change the inputs to the keybord.
    Other then that ... this is the best asset ever. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  40. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Yes that's so true, finally some clean, crisp C# code! :D

41. Edy

Edy

Can we have the source files for the 3D assets? (.max, .blender, ... whatever)
    I'd like to add some improvements, being specific I'd love to give the car a proper collider.

42. Oldskewl

Oldskewl

all in all it's a very nice set of assets, a couple of very minor criticisms:

- the car feels a bit "light" when falling, not sure if that's intended or perhaps just me

- character controller, would love to see a climb function as well as a function that allows the character to "catch" a ledge when you jump and don't quite make the jump or when you walk off a ledge (character controller should have a toggle for this IMO).

- would like the jet controls could allow for barrel roll, flip and stall to make dog fights more fun and interesting

- the fire particles are a big step up from what is currently included, really enjoyed the one that spread following your mouse cursor. kudos

I'd like to suggest adding the following to standard particle effects
    - would like to see a "god rays" particle effect that shows streaks of light rising up from the floor like a healing spell or something. This isn't hard to do for someone who knows how but when first learning it was kinda tough.

- would like to see camera effects added to standard particles like leaves blowing, rain or snow, at least one of these to give a beginner a good example to build from. These should be included in a standard/sample pack IMO

- lightning bolt particle effect both spell and natural storm should be included. The example in the procedural project is a bit dated and resembles a "ghostbuster ray" more than a lightning bolt.

- a "spiral" type effect to show new people how it is done

- a shield/force-field effect
    some of these can be found on the unity wiki but they may be dated and it takes a beginner some time to stumble upon them

this isn't meant to take away from the fact that these assets are great, just trying to be constructive

I also prefer the nicely textured assets of the previous projects, they helped me learn a lot about that portion of game design when I didn't know where to look to learn it. Also, I enjoy reusing some of your assets as they're stellar.

43. Essential

Essential

From a learning perspective these are some great additions to Unity, the plane demo is particularly great. My one concern is this replaces the Angry Bots demo and, outdated though it is, it offered a lot of material for learning environmental level construction within Unity. I've always struggled to learn that side of game design but maybe there's something environment-focused in an upcoming Unity tutorial.

44. Essential

Essential

I notice all the scripts are now in C# —somewhat ironically, considering many beginners who want to explore these might be starting on UnityScript— but does this mean you're going to be moving away from UnityScript (Javascript) as the default teaching language for Unity and encouraging beginners towards C# in the future?

45. BES

BES

You beat me to the question ..lol ..

Though the answer is sad ..
    A fully working character controller for planets and zeroG would be a nice addition to Unity, should be a given anyway since a lot of space games are being made with Unity Engine..

I also have a futuristic "dune buggy" type vehicle that I wanted to test on a planet surface with the new car controller from this asset ...that probably wont work either without some major changes...

Thanks though Unity Devs for this asset ...its still very good!

46. TheRealRBK

TheRealRBK

Hello,
    this is amazing!
    I don't know what is better the First or third person controller they look so "smooth" not static if you know what i mean ^^
    I also love the Jet and the car (but the sounds are not so good i think they don't sound "clean" )
    I love the most of the Particles but i think the Particles of the Unreal engine look better ^^
    A very very nice thinnk were a spaceshutle/Spaceship in the interior you can walk if it is still moving it has it own gravitytion in his interior
    so in multiplayer games you can fly and other can walk around in your ship.

but a very very nice update! Good work I love the Unity engine ;)

47. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

New Standard Assets - a.k.a. Sample Assets, Beta Release

Dear Mr Duck,
    I would like to ask you something, and I hope it's not to difficult to do this. At first I would like to know: Does this pack contains only features from the new Unity engine (4.3 and higher)?
    ...And at second thought I would like to have a (unity)package file from it so I can import it. Installing the new version makes me not sure, as I lost an old project a few months ago because I started a new version from Unity and can't get it back.

I hope you can understand my frustration and problems.

Greetings,
    Smartline-Games​

48. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Just a minor remark..

In ThirdPersonUserControl on line 34 we have:

Code (csharp):
    2. Vector3 move =v * camForward + h * cam.right;  
    That needs to be clamped to the magnitude of 1, otherwise the character will move faster diagonally when walking.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

49. NinjaDesigns

NinjaDesigns

First off....Thank you so very much. Everyone else has beat me to it but seriously, the learning power brhind this for me is monumental.

Possible Problem: Empty Car Prefab
    I bring in my vehicle with the wheels all seperate and labeled. I read through the Car Guidlines which is seemed detailed.
    My issue is when I assign a wheel to its corresponding slot on the prefab and click Assign button, the prefab snaps to my vehicle center. Almost like to my models local position. Then when I jump in game, both front wheels are re oriented as if the front axel was turned 90 degrees. The wheels turn when I press the corresponding keyboard buttons but with them off their axis its usueless.

Thoughts about this???

50. cl-apps

cl-apps

Been playing over the weekend with these assets and they are great!

I do have one request though, when designing a game to target mobile the mobile controls will only work if you either use the remote app on the phone or if you switch build settings to desktop - I would really like to see proper controls with the keyboard and mouse in the editor still as it's a right pain switching builds or using the remote app, especially when your sitting far away from the WiFi access point. When you're iterating gameplay the last thing you want is messing with build settings or waiting for the phone to connect.

If you could update to give the option of standard input then I'd be switching to this first person controller all day long for my adventure games as it feels very nice on the iPhone.

Thanks!