As mentioned on the blog, we're pushing out a beta version of our proposed update to the Standard Assets that come bundled with Unity. We'd like you to try them out and give us feedback. These aren't replacing the Standard Assets in the Unity installer just yet, so you can download them as a separate package from the asset store.
If you haven't read the blog post yet, check it out here, and then come back here to let me know your thoughts!
The highlights include:
- A New First Person Character: Physics-based, with head bob movement and footstep sounds.
- A New Third Person Character: Using root-motion animation driven movement, and physics-based.
- A Sample 2D Platformer Scene
- Camera Rigs: Free Look, Auto Follow, and CCTV
- Car: A fully set-up next-gen example, and an "empty" version for you to add your own 3D model to.
- Aircraft: Two different styles of example aircraft (Jet and Propeller driven), plus you can make any GameObject fly with the scripts!
- Cross Platform Input: Various mobile control rigs ready to drag and drop into your scenes. Our samples above use these.
- AI Examples: Showing how - with the proper componentised set-up - you can swap user input for a simple AI input.
- Prototype Environment: For quickly blocking out level designs.
UPDATE: Try the Webplayer demo of these assets here
Released new version of Sample Assets Beta. Changes include:
* Fix for first-person controller so it sticks to ground when running up/down slopes.
* Added simple arcade style 2-axis aircraft control example.
* Added "Handheld Camera" prefab. Has realistic fuzzy tracking of object, and auto zoom to fit target in view.
* Updated mobile particle effects for better performance.
* Character model ('Ethan') re-skinned, fixed bone weights, joint orientations and interactions, and blending errors.
* Added Blackberry platform to cross platform input code.
* Better cursor locking handling.
* Fixed camera in car scene, so loop-the-loop is possible!
* Added custom defines in Cross Platform Input, so examples will work without Cross Platform Input package (for when packages are separated).
* Added menu item in Cross Platform Input so user can choose between mobile/standalone input when testing in editor with a mobile build target selected.
* 1st person character plays jump sound during repeated jumps.
* Optimised 3rd person character so rayHitComparer is only created once.
* Made controllers handle the 'no MainCamera' problem.
* Made aircraft point nose (a little) down when stalling
* Clamped input magnitude of 3rd person controller, so diagonal movement is not faster than forward movement.
* Removed dependencies between packages.
* Removed unused ref to ThirdPersonCharacter in FreeLookCam
* Script tidying
* Increased skybox resolution import settings
* Small scene improvements (cam positioning, obstacles)
Although you can leave comments on the blog post, this thread is for more in-depth discussions and Q&A about the contents of the package. We will also most likely post here when we make updates to the package.
You need Unity 4.3.3 or later to install this package. If you don't have it, you can grab it here.
Looking forward to your feedback!