Unity Community

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Duck

New Standard Assets - a.k.a. Sample Assets, Beta Release

Hi all!

As mentioned on the blog, we're pushing out a beta version of our proposed update to the Standard Assets that come bundled with Unity. We'd like you to try them out and give us feedback. These aren't replacing the Standard Assets in the Unity installer just yet, so you can download them as a separate package from the asset store.

If you haven't read the blog post yet, check it out here, and then come back here to let me know your thoughts!

Name:  LINKPIC.jpg
Views: 12531
Size:  194.9 KB

The highlights include:
    • A New First Person Character: Physics-based, with head bob movement and footstep sounds.
    • A New Third Person Character: Using root-motion animation driven movement, and physics-based.
    • A Sample 2D Platformer Scene
    • Camera Rigs: Free Look, Auto Follow, and CCTV
    • Car: A fully set-up next-gen example, and an "empty" version for you to add your own 3D model to.
    • Aircraft: Two different styles of example aircraft (Jet and Propeller driven), plus you can make any GameObject fly with the scripts!
    • Cross Platform Input: Various mobile control rigs ready to drag and drop into your scenes. Our samples above use these.
    • AI Examples: Showing how - with the proper componentised set-up - you can swap user input for a simple AI input.
    • Prototype Environment: For quickly blocking out level designs.

UPDATE: Try the Webplayer demo of these assets here

UPDATE 2:
    Released new version of Sample Assets Beta. Changes include:
    * Fix for first-person controller so it sticks to ground when running up/down slopes.
    * Added simple arcade style 2-axis aircraft control example.
    * Added "Handheld Camera" prefab. Has realistic fuzzy tracking of object, and auto zoom to fit target in view.
    * Updated mobile particle effects for better performance.
    * Character model ('Ethan') re-skinned, fixed bone weights, joint orientations and interactions, and blending errors.
    * Added Blackberry platform to cross platform input code.
    * Better cursor locking handling.
    * Fixed camera in car scene, so loop-the-loop is possible!
    * Added custom defines in Cross Platform Input, so examples will work without Cross Platform Input package (for when packages are separated).
    * Added menu item in Cross Platform Input so user can choose between mobile/standalone input when testing in editor with a mobile build target selected.
    * 1st person character plays jump sound during repeated jumps.
    * Optimised 3rd person character so rayHitComparer is only created once.
    * Made controllers handle the 'no MainCamera' problem.
    * Made aircraft point nose (a little) down when stalling
    * Clamped input magnitude of 3rd person controller, so diagonal movement is not faster than forward movement.
    * Removed dependencies between packages.
    * Removed unused ref to ThirdPersonCharacter in FreeLookCam
    * Script tidying
    * Increased skybox resolution import settings
    * Small scene improvements (cam positioning, obstacles)

Although you can leave comments on the blog post, this thread is for more in-depth discussions and Q&A about the contents of the package. We will also most likely post here when we make updates to the package.

You need Unity 4.3.3 or later to install this package. If you don't have it, you can grab it here.

Looking forward to your feedback!
    Last edited by duck; 02-13-2014 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added update changelist and direct link to asset store
    Ben Pitt : Consultant & Trainer at Unity Technologies, Game designer & developer.
    www.robotduck.com | twitter | blog | irc (duckets)

2. Location
    Kalisz, Poland
    Is the car made for mobile? Or is it like the previous one? I would be great to have a car made for mobile

3. Unity Fanboy

Hi Dariusz,

We've been testing on mobile from Iphone 4 / iPad 2 level upward (plus android, windows etc), the car is optimised, will have a little more optimisation done to it, but is not what you'd call a low poly asset, its designed with next gen in mind.

Will
    Content Manager at Unity Technologies. Author of Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials (second edition), available now at Amazon...

http://tinyurl.com/6b8vbh7

unity3d.com
    willgoldstone.com

4. Posts
    awesome!

i was about to start writing a script for multi-platform controls, will try this right away

5. Posts
    I can´t download that asset from asset store, it says i have to have unity 4.3.3 but I have 4.3.2f and if I check for updates in unity it says that unity is up to date :/

6. Location
    Kalisz, Poland
    Thanks Will,

thats great news. I want to start a new project, and it will only be a 1 car game, so maybe it will do. It would save me a lot of work
    I have a Xperia P and Xperia Arc S. I'll check the car on both and let you know what happened.

7. Posts
    @Daviz, you need to go to the download page on the Unity site.

8. Duck

@dariuszpietrala - The car scripts and the "empty car" prefab is also designed to be usable with any other car models that you might want to use (there are plenty others on the asset store). It's pretty simple to drop your own car artwork in and get it up and running! Have a look at the guidelines txt files included for more information.
    Ben Pitt : Consultant & Trainer at Unity Technologies, Game designer & developer.

9. Location
    Seattle, WA
    Why do you guys make it so only people with the newest unity version can download? Couldn't you guys export a copy with version 4.2 or something?????? Which part of it is a 4.3.3 specific feature only...?

10. Unity Fanboy

Nothing, but do you have a reason not to upgrade? Its an asset store restriction we're working with tbh.

If you don't want to install 4.3.3 over your existing 4.2 install then simply install it in another directory.
    Content Manager at Unity Technologies. Author of Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials (second edition), available now at Amazon...

unity3d.com
    willgoldstone.com

11. Location
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by lmbarns View Post
    Why do you guys make it so only people with the newest unity version can download? Couldn't you guys export a copy with version 4.2 or something?????? Which part of it is a 4.3.3 specific feature only...?
    Exactly. I understand 4.0 vs 3.5 or something. But things that can be used with older versions should be. Esp. the 3.5 compatibility, for people who couldn't afford to upgrade to 4.x

12. Location
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA
    Will we be able to include these samples in our packages we sell on the Asset Store? For example, if I'm writing some shaders and want to show them off, could I use this car? Or if I'm doing some animation scripting, could I use this character in my package? With due credit?

13. Posts
    i think i found a bug in CAR :/
    There is no decelerating.
    If i don't touch gas button car still getting faster :/

14. Volunteer Moderator
    This is cool.

The thing about the package shipping with Unity and being linked to the Asset Store, though - that's going to change eventually, right? Like eventually it won't ship with Unity, but there'll be some front-and-center way to download 'starter packages' from the Asset Store, from these assets to the various game templates etc… right?

15. Location
    Germany
    In the 2D character controller example, pressing left/right when crouching stops the character and ignores further user input. Also you might want to consider using the same key for crouching across scenes, in the 2D scene it's "ctrl" but the third person samples use the "c"-key.

Thanks for these, I like the aircrafts
    Rebound Games - Website - YouTube - Support Forum - Asset Store

Simple IAP System - Forum
    NavMesh Extension - Forum
    Simple Waypoint System - Forum
    3D Tower Defense Starter Kit - Forum

16. Location
    Québec City, Canada
    I'll echo the other users requests to lower the minimum requirement to a 'real' requirement. At least make it 4.3 and not 4.3.3, that way we understand that 2D features are required for some of those assets.

The rational is that there are cases (like mine) where the engine upgrades to specific branches happens once every.... couple of years. I understand I might be the exception but I don't expect to go over 4.3.1 for at least 2 years, seeing it's quite stable.

Thank you.

17. Duck

@matthew9815 You're correct, the car is supposed to slow down if you release the throttle! In fact specifically, the Car's rigidbody component is supposed to have some drag, but it looks like it somehow got set to zero. You can solve this by setting the car's rigidbody drag to a value of 0.1.

Noted, for next release, thanks!

18. Location
    Kalisz, Poland
    @duck Thanks I'll check that soon.

I've checked the scene on Xperia P and Xperia S and it runs nice

19. Unity Fanboy

Hey guys, once again - I understand frustrations for those on 3.x - but a lot of the features used here include the 4.x Animator, so would not be backwards compatible, apologies for those feeling left out in this regard.

I don't quite follow those with 4.x licenses not wishing to upgrade or install Unity 4.3.3 in a separate folder to get this project if you really don't wish to upgrade. 4.3.x are bug fix releases, why not grab em! and if for whatever reason you're at a company whose IT refuses to upgrade you or you're working on a project that needs to stick to a version, just install separately and grab the project - it still works with 4.3, mostly likely with 4.2 also.

I understand if you're worried about bugs in current versions, but like I say either install in a separate location, or wait for a friend to throw it on a file sharing service

unity3d.com
    willgoldstone.com

20. Unity Fanboy

@superpig Hey - yes that's the plan, we have a new feature coming later which allows for stuff like this, this beta is part of that plan.

unity3d.com
    willgoldstone.com

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast