Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Ninja Brothers! Splitscreen Stealth Action

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by 0tacun, Jan 17, 2014.

?

What do you like?

1. Singleplayer

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. Multiplayer(coop) (network)

29 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Multiplayer(coop) (one machine)

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  4. Go away with coop on one machine, you 90's kid!

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

This game si so cool :D but I find a bit annoying not being able to up the low steps. In addition, sometimes fail locking enemies and they kill me so easy :( (I played the tutorial)

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@gongalf: just hold down the block button then strike when you see an opening. (also make sure you have the lock-on active on your opponent!) That's what i did to do it. sneaking around also helps, as attacking from behind fells an enemy instantly. just note that crouching is actually the V key and not H! (this is something 0tacun forgot to change.)

3. 0tacun

0tacun

@fleshtheworld: Yes that is the key combination for dashing. Is is not responsive enough or too difficult to execute? I'll see if I can rework it.

@gongalf: Thank you for playing :D you mean is is hard to walk up on the roofs? I try to change that in the next release! Have you a certain issue (an example) when locking on an enemy failed? Or is it just not intuitive/responsive enough? And yes the enemys show no mercy :) I'm thinking of a dojo level, where it should be possible to train combat in tranquility.

@FuzzyQuills: Looks like you have already made a battle plan! Damn you! I have to make the enemys more surprising for you! :)

4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@0tacun: heh... :rolleyes: wasn't that hard. and plus, me used a gamepad!

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  5. 0tacun

0tacun

Development Update:

- cleaned up mecanim states
    - added draw/ sheat sword mechanic. Now it is not possible to properly climb with a drawn sword. I have to implement enemy grabing and non lethal gameplay.
    - reworked some animations
    - reworked movement ( yay again )
    - optimized AI code
    48 AI Test video:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/ninja-brothers/videos/48-ais-test

- included team system
    - hunted some null references

I'll be showing a video when the new player control script is complete.

~stay hidden~

0tacun

6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

7. 0tacun

0tacun

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

THIS. IS, FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!

Love the grab mecanism! It also looked like the characters head was spinning in his hands! :D And that is smooth motion! Only gripe i would put here is the fact that the character appears to float on the edges when hanging on and moving sideways... :p

9. 0tacun

0tacun

Yep he is sometimes spinning :D I'll resolve the visual issue while climbing. Currently I am reworking the inventory system.

---

$chase.jpg

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Still lookin good! Once Cyrien5100 has SSAO ready, this will be out of this world!

11. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

My SSAO is ready hope to see it in your game !
    It will be awesome !

PS : A little place in your credits would be cool :)

12. 0tacun

0tacun

That's right Cyrien5100 managed to bring ssao to unity free! Pretty amazing achievement. If you want to check the new effect or the current movement system (not complete) here is for a limited time a webdemo:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78559347/Webplayer.html

W,A,S,D: movement
    Space: jump, dash, roll
    Left ctrl: duck
    Shift: draw sword
    E: lockon
    C: use item
    Q: next item
    Left mouseclick: attack/grab enemy when sheated sword.

Have fun!

Edit: Fixed Link, Thanks @FuzzyQuills!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Step1: dress into a samurai suit. Step2: Grab an Xbox controller (or PC controller) Step3: GAME ON!

EDIT: Um 0tacun, you didn't host it properly... It says "download" not the page!

14. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

Great work !

Positive points :
    - A Stealth Game !!! It's a thing which is too rare in Unity :)
    - The Co-Op mode, a stealth game in coop would be awesome, like splinter cell in coop ^^
    - I like the graphic orientation

Negative points :
    - The character control is too rigid, it's not very natural, it's a little jerky.
    - Not very a negative point because it's WIP but i think tutorial would need more work.

Also, AI seems a little basic for a stealth game.
    Keep up the good work ! :)

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, Cyrien, I will say one thing, and that is that someone on this thread actually got beaten by the AI's so they aren't that basic. Once you get your hands on a gamepad though... :rolleyes:

I also think 0tacun is bumping up the difficulty a tad so it isn't 'basic' for some. it is probably because of me though: just look back over my posts, and you will see why! :)

16. 0tacun

0tacun

@Cyrien5100 : Thank you for your feedback!

-I'm investigating how I could make the movement even more fluider, thanks for the hint that it is still not optimal.

-The tutorial is pretty outdated and haven't received any love in the past. But don't worry I'll be reworking it :)

-Yes the Ai is pretty basic and I still have to tweak the new Ai Code . But I'm glad that I managed to let fight 32 npc's against each other. Anyways have you a particular hint what could be improved?

@FuzzyQuills : I'm trying to let the fights be fair and challenging :) if someone notices any problems while fighting let me know!

The inventory system is nearly complete it is only missing to display icons in the HUD. Also it is now possible to drop an item, like a health potion, so your buddy can pick it up and use it.

17. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

I think make a more "smart" ai using for example a probability finite state machine (a finite state machine with some randomness), with for example, enemy searching for you if he saw you, hidden enemy on the roofs, with a "concentration" mode which allow player to see them etc.

18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@0tacun: it's been a while since I have been here, and the item dropping thing sounds like minecraft... :)

19. 0tacun

0tacun

Dammit! I lost all my data and started from scratch on a super nintendo!
    ( For more Image Effects, check this thread out: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/in...uality-post-process-fx-to-unity-indie.198568/ )

*Development Update*

- created a dojo, where combat practice in tranquility will be possible
    - finished inventory system, with picking up and droping items, items visible in the HUD
    - added vertical wallrun
    - added blocking for enemys, there is now a push back for the defender on impact
    - reworking time of day system, now with variable time, meaning the longer your mission last it could become morning, thus resulting that the enemys can see farther. Still have to create a goodlooking sky shader.
    - baking ambient occlusion maps in second uv channel -> improved workspeed
    - made the camera a tad dynamic
    - made the transition from player 1 to splitscreen to player 2 view more fluid
    - worked on AI
    - added rim lighting for characters
    - corrected audio system
    - tiedied code up

@Cyrien5100: Thank you for the tip, I'll look into it :)

@FuzzyQuills: Well, I don't think that item dropping is a feature only used by minecraft :D

Attached Files:

• dojo.jpg
      dojo.jpg
      File size:
      952.1 KB
      Views:
    • pixel.png
      pixel.png
      File size:
      62.2 KB
      Views:
  20. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

It looks better than before, good job !
    Maybe a little demo soon ?

21. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Yea, I'm with Cyrien, if possible, please bring out a new demo for us! :)

22. 0tacun

0tacun

*Development Update with Demo*

-added critical damage, if you get hit while attacking you suffer more damage.
    -improved jumping, no longer zero velocity while running then jumping
    -worked on sky system
    -improved dashing a bit, still not how I want it.
    -added crouch attack again
    -added better visualization of taken damage in the lifemeter.

To Do:
    -improve grabbing, it has some bugs currently
    -implement non-lethal combat
    -climbing over obstacles function

Bug:
    -sometimes the enemy's disappears if they aren't in the camera frustum. Haven't found a performance friendly solution...

I'm always forgetting what I have done and what I have to do when writting here :D

Anyways here is a new Demo:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78559347/Webplayer.html

It is a sneek peak to the V.S. mode: Battle with your own team against your Ninja Brother.
    Notes:
    -press esc to turn splitscreen on or off
    -shift: draw sword
    -q: next item
    -c: use item
    -e: lockon
    -strg: duck
    -space: jump
    -some things are not complete e.g. sky system, dojo, etc.
    -when playing with a gamepad, it could occur that the axis are addresed wrong

But please give feedback to anything!

@Cyrien5100 , @FuzzyQuills: Hope you both like it :)

Attached Files:

23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

YESSSS! Could you also post an offline version? :)

24. 0tacun

0tacun

@FuzzyQuills: Sorry no standalone demo :) I'm currently trying to fix input with multiple gamepads and correctly supporting xbox 360 controllers. Do you own two gamepads? If you don't mind to help, I would like to send you a new version to test the input manager.

25. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Sure! I have two gamepads! go ahead! And I have done numerous local multi-player tests before, so I can also help in that department too. ;)

I could also send the latest build of one of my game projects to demonstrate if you like. :)

0tacun likes this.
  26. BokuDev

BokuDev

I have four gamepads! Me and my friend had a good time attacking each-other in this! I really like the targeting and foot steps, system/when you press the target button you face forward and can dodge left right backwards or forwards. That is something I wish I could get Cube Knights to have! Great work!

For the visuals I really really like the lens flare, and lighting! Running around in the hills when the place became day and not night looked beautiful! The day/night cycle looks great! (another thing I wanna figure out how to pull off lol)

I know your sounds are prototype of course but is the footstep sound the half-life 1 footsteps? Just wondering for my own sanity because it sounded exactly like it to me! :D

You should consider adding 2 more brothers for 4 player co-op/battles? Maybe have their colors yellow and purple if you catch my drift? :cool:

0tacun likes this.
  27. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@fredrick300: Nice one! four players would be crazy... NINJA TIME!!!!

0tacun likes this.
  28. 0tacun

0tacun

@fredrick300: Thanks, glad you had fun and liked the systems! :)
    The day night system is pretty simple I have to admit, I hope I can implement some kind of atmospehric scattering later in the shader.
    The dashing system was also easy to implement with mecanim, I think you can do it! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Yep you have good ears, those are placeholders and will be later replaced. I downloaded those from a soundeffect website was also a bit surprised. :D

Actually I have already considerd implementing 4 player mode. But after writing the boolean for it, I realized that I have to expand the splitscreen system and other systems... too exhausting... so I dropped it for maybe later :D

*Development Status*

I have finished the item usage system. When the use button is hold down the camera switches to first person and is then easier to aim. A short press on the use button still occurs in fast object throwing in the direction the ninja is looking.

Currently I'm modeling some objects to fill the void in the game. It is a bit hard as I want to resemble the japanese architecture.

Furthermore I trying to expand the combat system. Different direction inputs will occur in different attacks. And combing into different combos should also be possible easily with mecanim.

29. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That sounds a bit like Super Smash Bros. or Kid Icarus: Uprising! In those games, using the left stick (usually... :D) along with a button results in a different attack. I presume you are trying to do this?

And you could have a Co-op camera you know? ;) Like, one screen for all the players. (Getting it to work well with four players on a 3D plane could be challenging though... o_O)

30. 0tacun

0tacun

It is still alive

AthosK likes this.
  31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

HOLY DAMN!!!!! :eek: :) ;) :p

No wonder this thread was quiet for so long... Then BAM! a notification came in, I clicked on it... AND WAS INSTA-KILLED BY AWESOMENESSS!!!! :mad: :)

0tacun likes this.
  32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

And just because I can (and because I found the screenshot a little dark for my liking... :D) I made this out of your screenshot:
    Ninja_Brothers_Latest_Wallpaper.jpg
    If you wish to do this yourself in future, (and you have photoshop... I wish to switch to GIMP as soon as I possibly can! :D) make the image a layer in photoshop, then make a new layer with the same image, blur it a few times, then make the blend mode of the glow layer Linear Dodge (Additive blending). I also recommend using Gaussian blur. (I am using box blur there, and that might be why it looks a little... weird! :))

33. 0tacun

0tacun

Heh, thanks it looks interesting and with a more cartonish touch. I like it! I find it really hard to get the right brightness for visual credibility and playability. It isn't final, but thanks for feedback!

34. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@0tacun: I am probably not the best lighting guru in the world either... but I can help with improving lighting! :)

And I remember you having trouble with lightmaps and real-time shadows not working correctly... is that fixed now? If not, I have used beast a lot (and am one of the only ones who like it! :D) and know how to get the lighting just right! :) I even managed to get baked AO to show on the real-time shadows too... :D

35. 0tacun

0tacun

Yep I had this problem and I think after I switched to baked ao maps in blender I found a solution but didn't wanted to bother. I'm quite fine with the result as I managed to let the ao only appear where no light is and I prefer it over realtime ao solutions where ao apears in broad daylight:

I also used the normal maps to create shadows in the creaks of the normal map as it improved the quality in the shadowed areas, because those didn't appeared as flat. But I decided to drop normal maps for now.

with normal occlusion:

36. AthosK

AthosK

wow super cool!!

0tacun likes this.
  37. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I use dual-lightmap enabled shaders for such AO. Or I use my newly built lighting system for mobiles... :D (And such system is still a WIP!)

38. 0tacun

0tacun

@FuzzyQuills: Have you also baked shadows? And does it allow dynamic sun position?

I'm currently modeling stuff for the game. Such a tedoius task! All my work is just a work in progress as you notice some artifacts here and there.

Gameplay mechanics was not much done. A bit tweaking and so on. I'll look into this matter latter.

AthosK likes this.
  39. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, the dynamic bit, no, but I did find out I can have baked AO in parts with real-time shadows, which is a nice touch! and yes, I can bake dynamic shadows! :)

Technically, I could get dynamic shadows by baking several copies of the same map at different angles, but that could get tedious... :D

"Artifacts here and there": I seriously don't see any obvious ones... :D

And those are really nice screens! Also, is that my bloom effect?

40. 0tacun

0tacun

@FuzzyQuills : Yep that would be truely tedious! Well there are some unnatural dark ao spots which I need to eliminate, but I'm glad that you didn't noticed. I have to admit that the sky looks very much overbright, need to refine that! But no, no image effect were used in those screenshots. Image effects are like candy and distract from working :D

The first iteration of some huts with window light emission texture is ready. It is currently lacking detail somehow, but I'm not sure why. Maybe I need some enviroment props to make it more lively. If someone has a suggestion let me hear it!

41. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, if there is stuff inside those buildings... try using additive blending! :)

42. Mister-D

Mister-D

bake ambient occlusion and add some random decals to the buildings,it will make a big difference and some props around them are a good idea;)

0tacun likes this.
  43. Mister-D

Mister-D

its been a month, any news?

44. 0tacun

0tacun

Oh hey, thanks for showing interest :D

Currently my study is taking most of my time, which means I hadn't much time to develop Ninja Brothers further.

Nonetheless I am currently prototying another Versus game mode for 2 players. It is a mix of capture the flag and moba.

You objective is to steal a document from the enemy base and bring it back to your HQ, while your and the enemies army are clashing against each other.

At start you set a fixed number of buildings up (HQ, armory, army camp, normal houses) to variance the layout the other player must sneak through. Then you can try to sneak past the enmies patrols, or fight alongside your army to invade into the enemy's base etc.
    To make it a bit more intressting you have the possibility to pick up your message, which you have to protect from the other player. Now you could decide to hide it somewhere else or keep it with you, but risking to get it easily stolen when you die.

For this game mode I had rewritten the sensing script, it is now possible to completly hide form the other player while crouching.

I will see if this game mode is any fun. Currently I have almost everything implemented, but I have some problems with enemy pooling.

AthosK likes this.
  45. AthosK

AthosK

Sweet!!

0tacun likes this.
  46. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

What's "enemy pooling?" If it's something I've done before, I can help! :)

47. 0tacun

0tacun

@FuzzyQuills : enemy pooling is the same as object/particle pooling. Instead of always instantiating and destroying a object, which is bad for the garbage collector, you create a number of objects at startup and activate when you need some or deactivate (and push them back into the object pool) if they are not needed.

I have already particle pooling implemented, enemy pooling gives me problems because how I had written my Ai. I guess I need to rewrite them a bit.
    Anyways thanks for offering help :D

@nasoukikos : just noticed you have a new prototype! I'll play it later and give you feedback :)

AthosK likes this.
  48. AthosK

AthosK

Hey thanks! Maybe I'll catch you in there ;)

49. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Prototypes?! I'M IN!!! :D

50. tossen

tossen

hi first let me say that tenchu is the best game for me in the history there is no game better than tenchu so i was try to make game like it but i cant because i am not a programer i was looking for some script for stealth game but i dont find any one and the best tenchu game was on the ps2 so i try to make some ps2 games but no luck so are you want to make this game on the ps2 because it will be better with the controli have every things you need to make it