Search Unity

Failed to update Unity web player

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by kit, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kit

kit

Hi!
    After update to the latest unity i cannot run my web builds.

error from log file:
    140115 22:56:59 ------------------------------------------------------------
    140115 22:56:59 Instance starting, version 4.3.3f1_c8ca9b6b9936, UNITY_WEB_ENABLE_AUTODOWNLOAD: 1, GetDisableAutoUpdates(): 0
    140115 22:56:59 Datafile file://localhost/B:/projects/Museum/Build/web/web.unity3d
    140115 22:56:59 Setting error display: 'Failed to update Unity Web Player', details: 'A newer version of Unity Web Player is required, but the auto-update failed.
    Failed to apply auto-update.
    Please install manually.
    ', link: 1

I reinstalled the plugin a lot of times, but it doesn't help.

Please help me

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Looks like the auto-update is attempting to fetch the 4.3.3 *player*. Maybe look on your machine for the web player components. (Will be in Program Files, or your user AppData folder.) It could be the 4.3.3 *player* download has failed. Note that what you download from the Unity website is just the browser plugin.

3. kit

kit

Thanks, Graham Dunnett.

I removed all registry entries of web player, and now it works fine. But it was really something very strangle. I afraid that plugin won't work on my pc ever :)

4. montyfi

montyfi

Unfortunately I have already several reports from facebook players that they are not able to upgrade the web player. I can clear registry and whatever, but I cannot expect an usual FB player to do such things. They just move to another Flash game, saying that Unity is probably malware. Especially now, when Chrome shows warning about it.
    Awful job Unity.

5. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

If you post your bug report number here, I'll prod the QA guys and ask them to investigate. (I could find any from your forum email address.)

6. montyfi

montyfi

Thank you Graham, unfortunately I cannot reproduce the bug myself and Facebook users are not very cooperative. For some players it works. For the all previous players who installed the game before (4.2 probably) it works. But new people just move away from the game because they cannot upgrade as webplayer ask them to do.
    A couple of players said they just have a white screen without any trace of loading claiming they upgraded to 4.3.3
    I wish I could find more info to help you with investigation.

7. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

There is currently a bug in Chrome https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=325309 rendering pages just as blank white instead of showing plugin content. Resizing the window makes the content appear. Maybe that accounts for some of your user's problems.

Do you have a link to your game?

8. montyfi

montyfi

Thank you, that seems to be the reason of white screens. It's pity that Chrome won the browser war but dropping quality.
    The game is here: https://apps.facebook.com/ostrichisland

9. nililin

nililin

I'm using a Mac and get this.

$Screen shot 2014-03-05 at 9.21.24 PM.jpg

Any thoughts of what could be the issue?

10. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Might be a cache miss due to our channel update yesterday. Try uninstalling the player and download+install the one from the website.

11. Dragonhill

Dragonhill

Did this solution work for anybody?

~Dragon

12. LukeTomes

LukeTomes

No.

I found since the last release the web player fails to auto-update on Mac OS X 10.8.5 due to file permission error on the Unity Web Player.plugin.

Code (csharp):
    1. mdworker(948) deny file-read-xattr /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Unity Web Player.plugin (pre-plugin fstype:hfs fsflag:480D000 flags:250000005E diag:0 uti:com.apple.plugin plugin:internalPlainTextImporter - find suspect file using: sudo mdutil -t 1055601)
    Chmod the plugin so everyone can read/write and then it will happily update. Auto-update works fine on OSX 10.6, 10.7 and 10.9 but seems to fail on 10.8.5 and possibly other 10.8 versions with the above console error generated.

Would love to hear from others if they are seeing this behaviour, so I can put in a bug report and we can get this fixed. Search your console for 'Unity" after the update fails and if you see this file permission error, then this is the cause.

Use this to change the permissions:

Code (csharp):
    1. sudo chmod 777 /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Unity\ Web\ Player.plugin
    You should probably change permissions back afterwards as this could be a security risk otherwise!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  13. rstals

rstals

I had to run the following to fix (note recursive flag):
    Code (csharp):
    1. sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Unity\ Web\ Player.plugin/

14. fporter

fporter

I've had the same issue for so long and this fixed it finally!! I've uninstalled and reinstalled...

I'm running OSX 10.9.2 and couldn't open any unity web players for a while... now i can test my web builds again. :)

[EDIT]
    I've uninstalled and tried again... and it failed (as expected).. so i looked into the plugin permissions and the 'Frameworks' is owned by root:staff while the rest is owned by root:admin... when i changed the 'Framework' subfolder to root:admin it worked as well.

the command I used:
    Code (csharp):
    1. sudo chown root:admin /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Unity\ Web\ Player.plugin/Contents/Frameworks
    the permissions on the folder is the same (drwxrwxr-x, not writable by everyone), so it should be safer than the previous commands--security wise.

I will try to look into why it is staff group and why changing it to admin group worked (unless someone has the reason).

[EDIT-additional info]
    On macs where it works (no issues reported), the 'Framework' folder is owned by root:admin (at least in my workplace).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  15. jimprucey

jimprucey

Im on a mac desktop 10.8.5

where is this file located?
    Delete the file: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Unity Web Player.plugin

16. nililin

nililin

Easier solution that worked for me.

Search for - Unity Web Player.plugin

Pull up its info hub = CMD-I

Click the lock on the bottom right corner in the Sharing Permissions box (you may need to enter your password)

Change the Privilege that reads "Read only" to "Read Write". Remember to change it back after the installation. It worked for me.

Hope that helps. :)

17. dabutcher

dabutcher

I had this issue and found setting permissions for everyone read write on the unity player plugin worked allowing web browser update/install the framework bundles.

I found that the latest version of the webplayer-mini.dmg dated Feb 25, 2014 would cause this issue. (downloaded 5/1/2014)

I then found a copy of the webplayer-mini.dmg dated Jan 29, 2014 and this plugin version works with no need to update permissions.

This is an issue with the latest version of the webplayer-mini.dmg and hopefully someone @ Unity can resolve this and post and updated version of dmg, or maybe revert back publishing the copy from Jan 29, 2014 since it works allowing the browser to update the Framework bundles without messing with permissions.

18. TedB

TedB

I had run into this problem with the Web player on two Mac 10.8.5 systems: one at home and one at work. After encountering it last March and being unable to resolve it, I set my Facebook game project aside to work on something else. Now I'm ready to pick it up again.

After reviewing this forum thread and trying the following, my problem was resolved!

But, given the problematic installer is still available for download as the current version, I wonder has anyone filed a bug report that went into all the detail in this discussion thread with Unity? It seems clear. It's reproducible. I don't want people running into this problem when they try to play my new game. It was VERY frustrating!

I'll check back in a few days. If nobody replies that they have, I will file it myself.

[EDIT] I went ahead and submitted a bug report. I hope this can be addressed as soon as possible. Case # 607209.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  19. oylchick

oylchick

I'm a FB user and I'm currently having the problem you're talking about. This has happened to me before w/Unity Player, it wouldn't work for a LONG time. Then one day, a few months later, it was miraculously working again. Any suggestions?

20. danish-zia

danish-zia

Hi friends and people ! I am developing an fps game right NOW ! I had the same problem , and i maneged to fix it WITH THE EASIEST WAY ! I spend 6 hours reserching but none worked , SO I MADE A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO DO IT ON YOUTUBE -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y988CnNmbJc ! ITS 100% working ! Hope i helped you ! Please Like and comment on my video if this works

21. TedB

TedB

Unity QA replied to my bug report and said they made changes to the Mac OS X plugin to correct the problem. The changes will occur in a future version of the plugin and the problem should no longer occur after that. Credit to Luke Tomes in this thread for identifying the permission settings change on the plugin folder.

22. glend

glend

so, i runnng a game center. and this unity problem really" makes my head hurts ! 20 pc can't update unity. while on my personal pc i can play it. after trying all suggestion and it's not working so i decided to copy the whole unity folder from my personal pc and paste it to the other PCs and it worked ! if u guys want, here's the whole unity folder and u can extract it to: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow. paste it there and overwrite.. oh yes btw i'm running windows 7 x32 ultimate. and sorry for the bad english :( i'm from indonesia btw. cheers !!

Virustotal: https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/d...7caca2c29d193988a9e00bc9/analysis/1402975157/

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vddroo0mwdkvcgm/Unity.rar

Cheers !

23. glend

glend

at least tell me if my suggestion is work :(

juan daru nugraha likes this.
  24. ronald123

ronald123

i can't play games in facebook on my computer. when i run a game, it says, 'failed to update unity web player... how can i resolve this problem? please help me

Attached Files:

25. ronald123

ronald123

thanks @ glend... it works....

26. juan daru nugraha

juan daru nugraha

@glend : Amazing ! I am Frustated for 3 month & it solved simply... seeepp brooo mantabsss !!!!!!