Search Unity

[WIP] Skyjumper - Android and iOS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kelde, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Kelde

Kelde

$mainmenunewile.png

$whoheader.png

Hello, we are Nordic Pixel Kai (Kelde) Elde and Adrien (1HpLeft) ) and we are here to present to you our game “Sky Jumper” for Android, and iOS in the near future after release. We are two guys that figured we wanted to try our hands at making games for a living so here we are! Everyday for the last 7-8 months has been filled with coffee, mild paranoia and sleepless nights since we quit our dayjobs to do this fulltime, hence the long development time. The finishline is ACTUALLY starting to appear but we have a pretty decent stretch to cover yet. Now, the project..

$thegameheader.png

Sky Jumper is a platformer, kind of, in which you move by hooking yourself to magic orbs and turning around them. Releasing a hook at the right time is the key of moving in this world. This is game thats very easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master. Gather gems in each level to progress the campaign, beat the time to win reward like new levels or skins for your character.
    Your adventure will lead you to different locations : forest, desert, graveyard, dungeon where you’ll encounter a lot of danger like bomb, spike, thornes and risky jumps.
    But don’t worry in some tutorial levels an old elder will teach you how to move with hooks.

$skyjumper3.jpg

$contentheader.png

* The game ships with 80 levels that spans across Forests, Deserts, Graveyards, Dungeons and Inferno

* Gather blue gems to progress the unlocking of levels, and search for the red gems that lets you unlock things like new characters and levels

* Each level lets you try your hand at it’s Time Medal, these are very hard to get and require practice, as well as a Gem Trophy for finding every blue gem in each level.

What we may add (if we have time ):

*Weekly Challenge
    *Facebook Integration
    *More Levels
    *Game modes like Endless, Bomb Survival, Goal Shoot
    *Boss Fight

We would really appreciate your comments on the game ( for now it’s just some screenshots but we’ll post a video of gameplay in a couple of days)

2. Kelde

Kelde

Sky Jumper WEBPLAYER

Heres a gameplay video we put togheter. The game is still under development so some things are out of place still,missing SFX etc etc.

The UI is not finished thats why you see all the diffrent versions,and its messed up. We have a totally new UI ive
    been paiting for days now:p

$skyjumper1.jpg

$skyjumper2.jpg

$skyjumper4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. Kelde

Kelde

Character selection screen, spent along time making this works as easy as possible for players, im still not 100% satisfied but thats why im uisng Unity forums, alot of good ideas here!

$cataloguewip.png

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. Kelde

Kelde

Loadingscreen, slides from both sides, paper comes up form bottom and the flying hook guy lets u know the loading has commenced!

$halp.png

5. Kelde

Kelde

Heres a link to our maintheme for the game, jsut to give u an idea on what kind of music u will be expecting:D Done by the supertalented Andre Giachini who is also doing music for all levels and diffrent scenes,lots of work:)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. TheValar

TheValar

The art is looking sweet! Good job

7. Samsson

Samsson

Exellent music !
    Very Good art !

Want to see what gameplay worth ;-)

8. Kelde

Kelde

We are working on an updated video with the new UI in place, i simply dont want to show the old video becasue im sure i was drunk when i painted the UI...:p

Thanks for the reply Sam:) Video VERY soon, gameplay is fun and sometimes very difficult:p

9. k3pp

k3pp

Nice! very beautiful! seems very polished too!
    I just hope the gameplay to be at the same level!
    Congratulations!

10. Kelde

Kelde

Thanks you and so do we, the gameplay certainly is "diffrent" and will probably not fall in taste for alot of people, but then agian, so does alot of games. We did know from the getgo the movement mechanics are kinda unique, but the more i play it myself the more i like it, lets hope thats good.

11. Seven

Seven

Looks ace, envious.

12. TheRaider

TheRaider

reminds me of a semi popular game alien with a magnet.

Your art is pretty good!

13. Kelde

Kelde

Alien with a magnet....well, funny name!:p this is my cartoony art, sometime i have to break off and do some more realistic stuff before i loose my mind:p thanks alot guys, gonna get a video up soon so u can see what this is about, maybe we get a good idea or two, especially on new hooks!

14. Kelde

Kelde

Can a moderator have a look at my OP? when I want to edit the post I get a blank post, I cant see what to edit. I had some weird bug when posting it, told me the post was empty, as it clearly isn't...I have new text to add

15. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

The art really is top notch and attractive. Best of luck! :p

16. Kelde

Kelde

thank you! tried to make it appealing to all ages,hope it worked!

17. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

best of luck dude - let us know when it's up on the ios store - we'll download a copy :D

18. Ziboo

Ziboo

Awesome art ! Good job.
    Would love to see a video

19. Kelde

Kelde

Thanks! we are working on that, just want the company logo as an intro so im currently painting that. When I done we will get some gameplay videos going.

this game is very fast paced so hopefully the video will explain more than the screenshots, even tho im sure u already understand how the game plays?:p

20. jeko_composer

jeko_composer

Working with Kai (Nordic Pixel) and Adrien, for me it is a great pleasure.
    This is not the first time that we work together!
    Kai is an exceptional artist, you can see from the pictures and video that will be uploaded soon!

if you want keep in touch with the project, follow:

The artis and Game Designer @KaiElde
    Music composer @Andreacomposer
    Coder @1HPleft

21. Kelde

Kelde

Thanks Andrea;)

Just thought it would be worth mentioning for the artistic people on this forum that id very much like to have some sort of "character competition" or idea inputs since im planning on having ALOT of them in this game. They are pretty simple, large head, a body and hands, but they move pretty smooth ingame.

Im guessing this is something that works better on our own forums, just letting u drawing guys know thats a plane i have and if the response is large enough later ill have it atleast once a week.

Gameplay video will be up hopefully soon, working on the last touches of the UI to make it schnazzy!

22. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Your art is nothing short of amazing. I'll be picking this up when it comes out for sure!

23. Kelde

Kelde

problem is i learn so much i just see things i wanna redo, but im fighting that urge...saving it for next game! We are putting togheter a video today, hopefully up by tomorrow so u can see what its all about:)

thanks Jesse!

24. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

Hi, I'm the developer of the game, I finished editing a video of the game.

You can now see some gameplay of Sky Jumper.

Any comments ?

25. BTStone

BTStone

Wow, really great. Nice art-style and looking polished! Keep it up!

26. anszwa

anszwa

Your game looks amazing, was a lot of work for sure!

If I where you, I would think about if it is necessary, to show the last decimal place at your timer.
    Anyway, great work and absorbing gameplay, when do you plan to release it, looks almost finished?

27. Kelde

Kelde

I think Adrien knows this, its probably just a programmer thing to keep it in there. Well the game offers 72 unlockable characters so ehm...we have a little while to go, and unlockable levels aswell. We are still debating on how to deal with the price of thise, because im not a fan of ingame stores that enables u to spend real money, but it seems nowadays u simply cannot get by without it. If we put that up it will not contain items that change gameplay at all, its all purely estethics. If the game does alright we will start doing things we have on the wishlist like bossfights and new worlds, among other things.

Release id say is within a 6 months period, the game is large and we are only 2 people:p

28. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

impressive. I like the style, and the music, wish you the best. keep us updated.

29. Kelde

Kelde

Thanks alot, we will probably post a webplayer with 5 levels so u get a feel for how it works and maybe provide some useful feedback. We are basicly blind at this point, works for us, but u guys might find stuff that could use a tweak or 2

30. Rene-Vidra

Rene-Vidra

Hey guys :)

Your art style is absolutly amazing :)))
    I'll definietly buy it!
    Admirable, that you're only two guys and took the risk, to do that full-time but I'm pretty sure, that it will pay off ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing more from your game and those awesome artworks :)

31. Kelde

Kelde

Thank you!

U will get to playtest a 5 level webplayer on monday/tuesday, hopefully u guys find things we have developed ourselves blind on:p

32. Train

Train

The Video looks very nice. Wounderful project, good luck with this game.

33. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

The animation timing is a bit linear on the jumps. I would create more of an arc with stronger slow ins and slow outs.

Regardless, the game looks fantastic and it will be a huge success for you guys. Congrats and don't spend all of your money in one place ;)

34. Kelde

Kelde

Thanks for the reply, can u explain the slow ins and slow outs alittle? Everything helps, im not sure exactly what u mean:)

35. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

An example is from 0:48 to :52. He's spun around the point and is released. The timing of his release, travel along the arc, and landing are all linear with very little acceleration on the release and deceleration at the top of the arc.

When the character spins around the points (hooks?) he also travels in a constant speed. If the character had mass, we would expect him to slow down on the up rotation and accelerate on the down rotation.

This might be a design issue as it might make it harder to players to time their jumps. And personal taste :)

Example of what I'm referring to: Rayman Legends, start at 2:24
    [video=youtube_share;xLl_hO25V9c]http://youtu.be/xLl_hO25V9c?t=2m18s

36. Kelde

Kelde

Ah yes it is a good point certainly, but i think it would make traveling upwards to hooks above alittle difficult. We spent ALOT of time rweaking his mass and speed for release and kinda ended up with a "arcade" feel since it worked best. We could certainly give it a try.

We are working on a small webplayer, even tho the game is very much designed for mobile. Good feedback, thanks:)

37. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I just wanted to say this is looking great. I really like the art and game play, it looks like a fun game which I'll be picking up once released.

38. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

thanks you very much. I really hope you will enjoy the game. we put a lot of work into it and there is a lot left to do.

39. Kelde

Kelde

Just letting u ladies and gentlemen know that today we post a webplayer with 6 levels, just to let u feel the dizziness of spinning around really fast and never getting that jump right. Don't worry, we don't WANT everyone to complete the game:p

sadly i'll have to post it in the second post, Aurore told me the OP is bugged and cant be edited, so look for the webplayer there within a couple hours (im at my dayjob yet YAAAAAAY!!!!!!)

40. Kelde

Kelde

Alright! After fighting with webplayer for something im sure can be called HOURS, its now up and semi working. Theres 6 levels total to give u a quick taste of whats to come. Theres almost no "decor" or polish and we havent out in all the small SFX's and goodies but u know...its a WIP, we are excused automatically.

Give it a whirl and let us know, the lnk is located in post 2 since my OP is bugged.

Oh and HERE if u want!

http://nordicpixel.com/demo/SkyJumper_Webplayer/SkyJumper_Webplayer.html

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  41. BTStone

BTStone

I get "Bad File Length" on MacOS 10.8.5 with Firefox.
    And on Chrome I "failed to download data file".

Suggestions?

42. Kelde

Kelde

weird, never heard of that before. Then again Webplayer gave us a TON of problems when building this demo, had to ix a lot of stuff over and over, in unity it works fine.

I know webplayer isn't fond of some browsers

43. MauiMauo

MauiMauo

Hey there,
    just tried your demo and have to say, I liked it!
    I think someone already mentioned that the "anchoring" is a bit too abrupt for my taste. Don't know how to explain it, but the hooking/unhooking could feel a bit smoother.
    Another thing is, why use a button for holding onto sth and releasing? Just use the whole screen. Or are you planning on using some parts of the screen for other interactions?

Anyhow, nice work!

44. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

@MauiMauo :
    First, nice feedbacks
    you are right we should try to do the hooking/unhooking a bit smoother. I played the game so much that don't shock me anymore .
    -We use a button because some people don't understand and click on the character or the hook ( and once they start to do that , they don't stop) , I think button is easier.

Thanks

45. Kelde

Kelde

We did this as our first control test and people didnt like it since its a pretty fast paced game so their hand would actually block the view of upcoming hooks. I tried it myself for a while and they were right as moving my arm around became an exercise:p I guess some players like to have their finger resting on one place always like a gamepad forces u to do, and some like to have a larger area. We will consider that, good point!

46. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Very nice artwork. It reminds of the style used in the "Prinny" games. And the characters hand movements remind me of Rayman characters haha. It looks very polished and professional. Also really nice webplayer and presentation. This is a quality game.

Keep up the good work :)

47. Kelde

Kelde

Thanks! never heard of Pinny but rayman was my first PS game so yeah, kinda stuck with me since:p The new ones are goregoues, hard to not be inspired:)

Lets hope it shows quality once its out also!

48. ObsoleteAccount

ObsoleteAccount

A strong concept and great art direction. Color me impressed. :)

49. Kelde

Kelde

Haha thank u, i like colors:)

Just wanted to tell everyone that our company FB site is up, so if u fell like u can go there and like it as im probably going to use that more often than the forum threads:)

https://www.facebook.com/Nordicpixel

50. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

No we are not dead. the game is almost done. we are polishing it and preparing a trailer for the release.

Quick recap:
    - 16 characters
    - 6 worlds
    - 104 levels ( 88 classic levels, 12 race levels, 4 challenge levels)
    - 1 boss fight

the game will first be available on Android, then we’ll work on the IOS version.
    We don’t have a release date yet.We prefere release it when we think the game is done instead of releasing an half polish game.
    The game will be available in English,Norwegian,French and maybe other languages ( if we find people to help us with the translation) .

Enough with the boring text, here some screenshots:

The Desert:

The Desert:

Inferno:

And two of the characters:

You can follow us on facebook :
    https://www.facebook.com/Nordicpixel