Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 - A shot in the dark

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nanity, Jan 13, 2014.

1. orb

orb

I'd be really happy with a 64-bit editor during the 4.x cycle, and I'm sure people would feel better about upgrading if UT gave developers that before they had to pay again. I'd like to test 64-bit only plugins right in the editor, rather than having to do it the old-fashioned way, where I build, run and tail a log file.

Multiple open projects right inside one instance of Unity would also be good for productivity and resources. It could lead to fancy new features in the editor, like in-editor comparison of files between the open projects, for instance.

These are all the "freebies" I'm asking for :)

Frankly, 32-bit only software in this day and age is shameful! It's about so much more than just RAM. There are features you don't have access to with 32-bit on OS X, for example. The old APIs have been deprecated for a long time.

2. im

im

+ 64-bit editor

+ updated mono runtime (new gc) or even allow us to replace mono runtime with Microsoft .NET runtime.

+ improved Mecanim (basically more events)

+ new GUI (Window Forms like drag / drop, wysiwyg editor and inspector with events and added controls, combo box, ect...)

+ ability to unlock selected pro features for fee (basically all pro features should be for sale in asset store as either a bundle or individually).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. SVGK

SVGK

that would be cool.

4. BFGames

BFGames

- New GUI
    - Updated physX
    - 128 Bit support.
    - Unity buys Microsoft and adds visual studio pro for everyone.
    - "Make MMO Game" magic button.
    - Free Coffee sent by mail.
    - Everything is free! Free pro licenses for the masses.

I expect nothing less!

5. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Excellent List Rea!!
    Yes, "Better data streaming" is a must -currently it's a real pain to make it smooth/not freeze your scene for a bit while loading

Also, after creating your empty project and getting stuff from the Asset Server where your game is stored, having the project switch platforms automatically to avoid reimporting

6. Max2323

Max2323

So, again new licenses or update fees but now after about 1,5 year after release of Unity 4?

7. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Hmmm, from what has been suggested, I'd vote:

Open up access to more of the engine
    Better streaming
    64 Bit editor

I'd put Garbage collection.in there, but I think it's far too pressing to put on a wishlist for an update in the far future.

They might want to look again at whether restricting so many optimization features is a good idea for unity free. When people see the unity logo, they are usually seeing a unity free game made by someone who is just trying to learn, and it's usually very poorly optimized. Basics like occlusion culling and static batching make a lot more things possible, especially considering how easy they are to implement when they are available.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  8. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

64 bit editor is really needed on my side!

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Honestly, just give me a better garbage collector. One at least, where I can control how many millisecs the collection is taking. If I make this too small and it has too much, it'll collect the lot.

This alone would substantially improve my quality of life in Unity.

10. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Regardless the new features unity 5 brings, if you wanna stay in game, you gotta upgrade.
    Price-wise the best moment to upgrade - purchase a new license is when a new version comes out.
    I guess this will happen around December 2014 - August 2015.
    What do you think ?

11. BTStone

BTStone

That's the point. I wouldn't like to buy now a Pro license when 5.0 will come the next month and I would have to buy a Pro license again.
    It would be great to know when 5.0 would approx. come out.

Or just let me pay UT some hundreds of bucks in order to be able to use the Profiler... :D

12. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Yup.
    Unity Pro plus Unity IOS Pro subscription = 187.5$ incl VAT /month = 4500 $ for 2 years.
    Unity Pro 5.0 license upgrade plus Unity IOS Pro 5.0 license = xxxx for 2 years.
    A clear view of estimated costs can help a lot financial planning.
    I am more interested in getting answers on this topic than GUI - 64bit - etc.

13. QI

QI

Yeah,really can't wait for the Unity3d 5.x,
    Love it !!

14. jeday

jeday

great

15. chris200x9

chris200x9

I'm just hoping for a linux editor.