Search Unity

[Finished in 1 day] Turret Defencer

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by SkyYurt, Jan 12, 2014.

1. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

Hi,

I want to share an game I made in a day.

I have been using unity for 4-5 years now and I was never able to finish a game.
    Why couldn't I finish any game? I came up with 2 reasons:

1. The size of the project.
    When I come up with ideas for games, it usually start with an simple idea, but then it becomes bigger and bigger, which ends with something I can't handle and finish.

2. Motivation.
    I have noticed, that I lose motivation for every day that passes by and the project becomes boring and I want to start a new project.

So what could I do?
    I have recently seen developers here, who finish games in few days or weeks. So I thought that I need to find an super simple game concept, which can be done in 1 day, so I don't end up losing motivation or hope that I ever will finish it.

So I made Turret Defencer.

Turret Defencer is an very simple game, where the player controls an Turret and have to survive waves of enemies.
    As you fight your way through the waves, you will see that the number of enemies increases and you will meet new enemy types. You can submit you score and beat your friends score.

The idea isn't original, but it can be fun to play(maybe because of the highscore system).

Enough talk. Here is the game:
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/MuhsinKaymak/turret-defencer

Screenshot:
    $screen2.png

Please give feedback or write an comment!

Thanks!

- Muhsin Kaymak

2. Paparakas

Paparakas

Awesome game! Shooting is very satisfying and I can tell you're experienced if you finished this in a day. I got up all the way to wave 23 :O .
    Also, there's a bug where you can submit as many entrees of your highscore as you can.

3. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

Thanks for the feedback, Paparakas!.
    The highscore submitting bug should be fixed now.

Thanks!

- Muhsin Kaymak

4. jmatthews

jmatthews

Congrats. I had the same issues. not so much with Unity but with game development in general. I'm doing the 1 game a month challenge. Finished my first Unity game last month, and I'm almost halfway through this months challenge. I may have bit off a bit too much for this month's entry but I believe i'll still complete it by the deadline.

5. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

hi jmatthews,

I'm planning to try the one game a month challenge too. I have planned how the game is gonna be, but i'm worried that I will lose motivation for it over time.
    Is there anything you do to motivate yourself or is it just a good planning, that keeps the game development alive?

Hope your game goes well!

- Muhsin Kaymak

6. jmatthews

jmatthews

I struggle with the same issues. What I've found with the 1 month challenge is that once you take it seriously it works as a great driver. You don't have time to jack around.

It also relieves you of any release anxiety you may suffer from. You may not think about it(I don't) but inside your head people have a fear of being labelled and judged and that includes creative works. A one month deadline gives you the "yeah, I can do better but not in a single month" outlet. My last game was a pacman clone with asset store art and some pieces of code that would make architecture astronauts cry but it compiles and you can win or lose. it's my first complete Unity game after years of jacking around.

Witness the "splendor" of Rabbit 1.5

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10371409/rabbit1.5/rabbit1.5.html

The last time I tried to get serious about making a game in Unity I spent 80 days on it and quit at around 80% completion. I guarantee I could knock out a complete game just like it in 20 days now.

I'm practicing finishing because that's where I need the most work, but I'm getting better and really enjoying the journey.

7. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

Thanks, jmatthews.
    Nice game you have made in a month. It actually motivates me to see that it is possible :)

I will try the 1 game a month challenge next month and see how it goes :).

thanks!

- Muhsin Kaymak

8. MrDonkey

MrDonkey

I think it ran pretty smooth. I enjoyed the gameplay. I was never really good at these type of games though. It makes it even more challenging because the arena is a rectangle rather than a square, so units that are coming from the north or south of the unity approach you at a much faster pace. That was why I was dying haha.

Good work.

9. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

Thanks, MrDonkey. Glad you liked it :)