Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shader Forge - A visual, node-based shader editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Acegikmo, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Hello!
    After about 5 months of development, Shader Forge is finally ready to be released publicly :)
    With Shader Forge, I wanted to bring AAA quality shading to Unity with massive amounts of flexibility and customization in an intuitive way - not just a rigid set/pack of shaders
    Mail: webmaster@acegikmo.com
    Twitter: @FreyaHolmer or #ShaderForge

And of course, a little feature summary and screenshots below!
    Hope you like it :)

// Freya Holmér

Workflow:
    • Create shaders visually with a real-time 3D preview - no code required
    • No extra files to sync over your version control system; Shader Forge uses a single file for shaders - the .shader file itself
    • SF writes CG shaders that can be used in any project, without installing Shader Forge
    • Works in both Unity Pro and Unity Free
    • Documentation and support center, for contributing feedback and bug reports
    Some of the features:
    • Built-in Physically Based Lighting mode and energy conserving shading
    • Visual and intuitive interface - Get a clear overview of what each node does
    • Custom lighting nodes and IBL support, with seamless Skyshop integration coming soon!
    • DX11 Tessellation Displacement
    • Transparency; both partial and alpha clipping
    • Refraction Render Textures
    • Optionally use lightmapping and light probes / spherical harmonics
    • Plus all the essentials such as cubemaps, custom blending modes, depth sorting, fog control, and much much more!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. fholm

fholm

This tool is absolutely amazing.

3. donzen

donzen

Cool tool, and now is mine! :)

Can you please show all the connections for this effect?

Another question: how can I distort the UV using a 2D texture?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. RenOli

RenOli

This is an amazing powerful tool....

I've created beautiful shaders in a really fast way, and the best part, it is really well performed.

I tested it on OUYA and Galaxy S, it work and really fast (obviously it depends on wich shader you are using)

Thanks for this tool... for sure, on the top best tools in asset store.

5. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Distortion can be done my offsetting, with the add node, a UV coordinate node by a texture, and then plugging it into the UV input of a texture.

Here's the node tree you were asking about:

OP_toss likes this.
  6. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

Awesome! Congratualtions on release!

A question: what would be the best way to get the distance from a vertex to a camera clip plane in Shader Forge?

7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

One of the most anticipated tools is finally on the Asset Store! Good work Ace. Keep moving forward. Would love to see more tutorials, nodes etc in future updates :)

8. donzen

donzen

(I've deleted the post by mistake)

I can't connect operations like MULTIPLY and ADD to ANG and UV, I'm doing something wrong?

$FailedConnection.jpg

9. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

This is a bit tricky. Assuming you are content with a pretty close approximation, this should do for a camera fade:

It's not 100%, because it's assuming your screen is not flat, but radial. You can add a slight bias to it by adding a small value to the projection parameter near distance, if you experience some clipping issues near the edges of the screen :)

10. Becoming

Becoming

View attachment 81969

Is there a rule which value to use to decode the RGBM? Also i would like to know how to drive the Specular IBL Cubemap Mip with a glossmap, if that is possible. Thanks a lot for this awesome Tool !!

11. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

That's because your multiply node hasn't evaluated yet. Connect the inputs of it first!

12. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

There is no rule for RGBM, there are different standards depending on how the cubemaps were saved in the first place!

Unity probably has one rule for their RGBM (I think it's 4), Skyshop probably has their own value. It may not even be linear, so this is just an approximation from me :)

If you want to control glossiness, connect a value, such as your glossiness value, into MIP and multiply it by something around 5-8, and you should get MIP control with the glossiness!

13. donzen

donzen

I've found the problem. I was connecting RBG instead of a single color channel with the 2Dtexture node :)

Thank you for you your answers :)

14. Zeblote

Zeblote

ooooooh it's released

15. jmatthews

jmatthews

Congrats, quite an accomplishment.

16. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

Hmm, ok then, thank you! I was hoping for something more accurate - my current shader works basically as you described, and I get issues near the edge of the screen. I'll give the bias a shot. Or maybe if I use the view angle and some trigonometry... Is it possible to get view angle? Something about projection matricies? Shaders make my brain hurt sometimes.

17. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

It is quite dark, because it's doing energy conservation calcs. You'll need stronger lights in your scene or, like you said, multiply the diffuse by some value :)
    By default, the Unity directional lights have an intensity of 0.5, I recommend setting it to 1

Yeah that's because you're connecting a loop (infinite loop), I haven't added a loop detection yet! Ideally you shouldn't be able to make the connection in the first place

18. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

The 0.18 update is soon out! It's not a very big update, but it fixes an issue where some properties didn't show up.
    I'm also adding two new nodes; Vector Projection and Vector Rejection :)

19. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Gratz on release!

This product and documentation look very well made.

Will surely get it at some point.

20. Chaoss

Chaoss

What do these nodes do? also as I've said in the other thread numerious times this tool is really awesome and Acegikmo is very good at answering questions if you get stuck. I'd highly reccomend it!

21. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Thanks Chaoss!

About the new nodes;
    Assuming you have two vectors, a and b (The black ones in the image), you get get the resulting vectors a1 and a2 using Vector Projection and Vector Rejection.

The Vector Projection node gets you the green vector, a1
    The Vector Rejection node gets you the red vector, a2

22. Krileon

Krileon

Ok, I created a flow refraction shader using the example refraction shader as a base. It'll flow the texture, refract anything behind it. I've it designed to support a flow texture, a refraction texture, flow speed, flow direction, flow emission, refraction intensity, and you can add color to it.

With that said onto my issue. I can't seam to get specular to work. I want to be able to add a "shine" to it, but neither gloss or specular seam to do anything. I think it has something to do with the refraction as once I sent refraction intensity to 0 it's ok. Any ideas how to go about fixing this? Attached is my current shader progress.

Attached Files:

23. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

I tried running it, but it seems to work fine for me, with reflections and all. Are you sure your scene and preview is set up correctly? Lights are on etc?

24. Krileon

Krileon

It's just specular that won't seam to do anything. I'm using DX11, Deferred Lighting, Linear Color Space, and 1 light next to it. I've tried upping the specular a ton, adding a slider to it, adding a color to it. Changing it just doesn't seam to do anything. If I set the refraction intensity to 0 then it works.

25. Chaoss

Chaoss

I've found a pretty critical showstopping bug. on ANY shader I make none of my properties show up and the shader is bright pink, even with just a diffuse slot. This ShaderForge is a clean install.

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

In my prototype space I was able to get a custom ibl shader going ;) Thanks!
    $wip8.jpg

Attached Files:

27. DSebJ

DSebJ

Known issue. Has been fixed and will be released in the next version.

For the time being a workaround I found was to setup a property that's needed for evaluating the defuse, compile the shader. Those properties seem to show up in the properties window most I the time. You should then be able to safely break the link and use it where you actually want.

28. DSebJ

DSebJ

That looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing what comes from you now that you've got Shader Forge :)

29. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Deferred is the culprit, I believe. SF doesn't make deferred passes at the moment, which means some shaders can't be rendered properly. Transparency and DX11 tessellation being the two known cases where things break so far. Switch to forward and it should work :)

Like DSebJ said, it's a known issue, but has been fixed in 0.18, which is now in Unity's hands waiting to be approved!

Very nice one!

30. Chaoss

Chaoss

Is there a way to recreate this shader in ShaderForge...
    The shader has the road mesh plain appear flush with the terrain, but without z-fighting. What I have managed to get is a road shader where the further to the camer view it is the higher up the road becomes, The 2 main problems I have are the roads appear to be 'above' the terrain, even if it's just by a tiny bit, the other issue is anything on the road such as players feet or dropped weapons 'sink' into the road some. If i push the road down any more than it is right now t z-fights

31. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

I completely forgot the offset values! (Offset -0.5, -275)
    I'll implement this in Beta 0.19. Could you request it on the feedback page? :)

32. Chaoss

Chaoss

What do you mean by the offset values?

33. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

34. Chaoss

Chaoss

Ah awesome, yeh if you could add that it'd be much appreciated! :)

35. Dimage1989

Dimage1989

Refraction tutorial will be?

36. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Amazing asset! I'm curious about the deferred lighting...specifically transparency (your vegetation shader to be exact). As you mentioned, this has issues in deferred mode. Is this simply not possible, or a feature that is still in the works?

Thanks!

37. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Possibly! Although there is a refraction shader included in the example assets :)

Thanks!
    SF doesn't render deferred passes, so all shaders created in SF are rendered in forward rendering, regardless of your render pipe setting.

So, what basically breaks (from what I can see so far): Alpha blending, alpha clipping and Tessellation.
    It is planned, but it might take a while to get it sorted out, because deferred works in completely different ways!

38. Krileon

Krileon

I'm not sure that's the issue. Transparency seams to be working fine. Everything is except Specular. I even changed to forward rendering (which I can't as my game doesn't look good with it) and there's still no Specular. I wonder if this is just an issue with the Normal being generated by my texture.

39. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

You might need to normalize your normal direction before it goes into the normal input of the main node

40. Becoming

Becoming

Really love SF so far! It needs a lot of convinient features for managing big graphs(collapsable compounds, node instances, labeled fields, wire routing points, etc.) but since its still a beta i am sure the future will bring some of these. The functionality is already outstanding :D Like already mentioned i also hope that we can author shaders that work in deferred mode at some point.

I would be interested to learn more about the PBL and especially about what could eventually break the energy conservation. Does the energy conservation happen in the main node and everything we plug into it will be automatically handled correctly or do we need to take care about some things? Another question i have is, what is the best way to get custom fresnel curves for reflectivity:

$fihms.jpg

my idea is to have a second fresnel node inverted and added on top of the first fresnel node before multiplying it onto the specular color/map. Is that a good way to do it or are there better ways?

However, love the tool and already made a neat PB IBL multi purpose shader in no time:

$PBL.jpg

41. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

The fresnel node is not very related to the fresnel term in PBL rendering. They both have to do with intensity based on view dir and normal dir, but they work in fundamentally different ways.
    The fresnel reflectance is currently the specular input, more or less, but it is using an approximation (Shlick's approximation) that's a lot faster, but looks pretty much the same.

The method you described could work! It probably won't be physically based or energy conserving anymore, but, personally, I'd rather go for artistic flexibility rather than realism, if the project allows ;)

Energy conservation is based on lighting, so the inputs that are currently take energy conservation into consideration are:
    Diffuse, Specular, Gloss, Light Wrapping, and Transmission, as transmission is essentially a flipped diffuse.

As for node management; nested nodes are planned, as well as zooming in the editor, which should make it much easier to navigate and organize :)

Also, very nice shader!

42. Krileon

Krileon

Ok, Once I set Normal Quality to Normalized then set it to Forward Rendering the specular worked. So does look like once you add Deferred Rendering support it should work as expected.

43. Murgilod

Murgilod

Just after I requested nested nodes yesterday? Clearly this is all my doing.

44. Justei

Justei

I have to say this tool is one of the best and most helpful tools I have every bought. Worth every penny it cost :).

I can't wait to see where this goes.
    I'd also love to see more tutorials :) I'm not very experienced in shaders, and even though I can make some of the stuff I needed. Tutorials are always welcome as I'm very hungry for more information and to get more skilled at this :D!

45. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Thanks Justei!
    More tutorials are planned, just need to find the time for it :)

What sort of tutorials would you like to see?

46. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Personally, my main concern was the vegetation shader, which has issues for me in deferred. A double sided vegetation shader which properly handles lighting and shadows is huge for me. Heck, I probably would have paid $50 just to have THAT.

47. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

I would pay $50 for that too, deferred has a *very* different lighting pipeline! That said, it should work just fine in forward rendering!
    Deferred is planned to be implemented down the line anyhow :)

48. Chaoss

Chaoss

I've found a... well I wouldn't call it a bug but it's definately different. I put 'shadows' on to be cast from a local spotlight as I was testing something with differed rendering, anyway I turned it back to forward rendering and came out of Unity and completely forgot about it.

A few days later I am wondering why my light source is still casting shadows on meshes with shaders that I've made in ShaderForge, I double checked and it's definately set to forward rendering. It appears shaders made with ShaderForge are either magic or something strange is happening, the shadows seem to work perfectly without any artefacts.

49. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Yeah, I've enabled shadow casting for all light types, including point lights :)
    (Whoops!)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  50. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Can anyone point me to resources for shader theory that do not go into great technical detail, so I am better able to understand how to create the effects I'm looking for without blind experimentation?

I'd love to know what all of these words mean, and how to combine these things together without having to know GLSL.