Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LogicBots

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by kensct, Jan 9, 2014.

1. kensct

kensct

Hi All,

LogicBots is a puzzle game where robots are used to complete the various levels. Sometimes the LogicBots will be controlled by the player and other times they will work independently to complete the puzzles. In both cases it will be up to the player to design, build and wire their LogicBot to meet the requirements of the level.

Key Features
    • 40 challenging levels
    • 4 in depth tutorials (more to come)
    • 3 bonus objectives for each level
    • Circuit Sandbox (full sandbox in development)
    • Endless combinations of parts and circuits with more still to come
    • Physics driven gameplay
    • Soundtrack by Brandon Penney aka Neon-Bard

TL;DR - Kerbal for robots.

There is now a demo available on steam so check it out if you are interested!

Ken

Links

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/290020
    My Website: www.incandescentgames.co.uk
    Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/647436241/logicbots (funded April 2013)

How does the game work?

Each level consists of three distinct modes; Construction Mode, Wiring Mode and Live Mode. First comes Construction Mode, in this mode you have to build your robot from scratch by selecting and connecting together modular parts. The first part you place is always a Main Body part which is the housing of you circuit board and contains useful parts such as motors for driving your robots wheels. You then join together all the other parts your robot needs to complete the task such as wheels, sensors, hinges, pistons, etc.

Once you have built the physical part of your robot you switch to Wiring Mode. In this mode you give your robot its brains by wiring together the inputs and outputs of your robots main body. There are a selection of logic, comparison, maths and functional gates which you can wire together to process the inputs giving your robot its behaviour. This may be, for instance, turning left when Sensor 1 detects an object within 30cm, or firing a projectile when a laser sensor is tripped.

Once you have constructed and wired your robot you hit the start button and go to Live Mode. Depending on the level, in this mode your robot either has to complete the puzzle on its own and all you can do is watch, or you will have to control your LogicBot to complete the objective. The puzzles include getting your robot to follow a line to the finish, navigating a maze, retrieving objects, catching other robots, manoeuvring over physical objects and much more. If your LogicBot fails the puzzle, or you think it will, recall your robot, make changes, and then send it on its way again.

Levels

There are five areas within the game ranging from easy to difficult, each consisting of eight levels. There are also optional tutorial levels at the start of the game. Each level has a main objective to complete, a time goal, a cost goal and a bonus objective. Completing objectives unlocks further levels to complete.

Music

The soundtrack for the game is made by Brandon Penney aka Neon-Bard you can check out his music on Soundcloud. His musical style can be described as a unique blend between electronic and classical genres with a heavy influence drawn from video games.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

Very, very cool! It looks really great! My brother showed me some Gary's mod some time ago and it indeed looks a bit like it, but this looks really nice, I'm very impressed.

3. NomadKing

NomadKing

Cool looking concept.

Also, congrats on hitting a very down to earth KS goal :)

4. 90DegreeDesigns

90DegreeDesigns

Brilliant! This game looks absolutely fun! I certainly hope to see this succeed. Is there only one logicbot set up that you can build that will allow you to win the scenario, or are there several possibilities?

5. kensct

kensct

Thanks! The main reason I did a kickstarter was to check I wasn't wasting my time making a game no one wanted. Ended up with 470 backers which was great.

The number of possible robots for even simple levels is huge. Along with the kickstarter I had a very early build of the game what had two levels to play. It surprised me how many different ways there were to solve the same problem of following a line, each with there advantages and disadvantages. Some people made robots which would track the line by turning when the sensors failed to see the line, others by doing the inverse by trapping the line between two sensors and turning away from the line when the sensors detected the line and other people tracked the line by following an edge of the line.

In the game there are 4 awards to get for each level, one for completing the level, one for keeping the cost of your robot low (minimizing parts used), one for completing the level in a time limit and one bonus objective (like complete the level without using part x). Because of this if you want to get all the awards on the level you may need to make two or more different robots for the same level.

6. kensct

kensct

The latest alpha version for Kickstarter Alpha Backers has just been released. It contains the first two tutorial levels and two new levels for the first level set which are designed to help you get used to making LogicBots. Check out some of the in game screenshots.

$LogicBotsAlpha 2014-01-25 18-11-01-62.jpg

This screenshot is showing the second tutorial where the game teaches you how to build a LogicBot capable of following smooth black lines.

$LogicBotsAlpha 2014-01-25 18-12-03-87.jpg

In the walkthrough tutorial you learn how to place and wire gates so your LogicBot will carry out its task.

$LogicBotsAlpha 2014-01-25 18-15-31-95.jpg

This is the new first level to the game (some of you may recognize it from Kickstarter). It makes a good first level as it carries on from the tutorial and sets you an interesting aditional challenge designed to make you think about simplicity.

$LogicBotsAlpha 2014-01-25 18-16-29-00.jpg

The new second level which you can see in this screenshot has much tighter corners This will force you to rework your robot design or your robot's wiring from the first level, and this then acts as a transition to the third level where there are sharp 90 degree corners.

The game now has 13 levels and 2 tutorial levels. More to come very soon, including some army themed levels. The LogicBots Steam Greenlight is going well and the game is currently 92% of the way to the top 100. We just need another 550 votes to be in the top 100! So please, if you haven't already done so, remember to upvote the game and share it with your friends.

7. kensct

kensct

Just released a demo version of the game on Steam so check it out if you are interested!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/290020

The demo consists of 4 tutorial levels and 3 of the games levels.