Search Unity

Rotate a parent object so that a child's rotation matches a given rotation value.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Autonoma, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Autonoma

Autonoma

I have a setup where I have a game object that has an empty game object as a child. The child is at a different world rotation from that parent. What I want to do is rotate the parent so that the child's rotation matches a given rotation value (I get that rotation value from a different empty game object).

I think this can be done using the Quaternion math, but I have no idea how to do it. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Zach

2. Brian-Stone

Brian-Stone

If Q[sub]c[/sub] is the child's world Quaternion, and Q[sub]to[/sub] is the quaternion that you're trying to match the child's orientation to, and Q[sub]p[/sub] is the parent's current world quaternion, then...

Q'[sub]p[/sub] = Q[sub]p[/sub] x (Q[sub]c[/sub][sup]-1[/sup] x Q[sub]to[/sub])

Code (csharp):
    2. Quaternion Qto; // Rotation to match the child to.
    3. parent.rotation = parent.rotation * (child.Inverse * Qto);

3. Autonoma

Autonoma

Edit: I got it working. I think what I'm seeing is an affect of how I'm calculating the rotation to match.

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. Sandy-Gifford

Sandy-Gifford

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but is child.Inverse the same as Qaternion.Inverse(child.transform.rotation)?