Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v1.0 for Unity - Plugin version Online

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Apr 29, 2009.

1. raoul

raoul

Thanks Max for letting me know about that layer 30 info missing in the manual. I remember I added the mesh surface snapping feature quickly when this was requested here on the forums. Didn’t think of adding that to the manual, I will do that!

Regarding the new procedural geometry system, like I already mentioned this is available in the beta and is being developed further. Once all is working including upgrading objects created with the current system, this will be released. So, if you like the new system, keep an eye on the beta, the next release will have most of the editor issues fixed...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Attached Files:

• $SF2.jpg
      $SF2.jpg
      File size:
      253.1 KB
      Views:
  3. raoul

raoul

That looks great Max, apart from the buildings is that all done with EasyRoads3D?

4. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Yes, of course.... only "Custom Object" feature used (mesh terrain):
    - to place trees rows and bushes (GameObjects placed randomly)
    - to place all individual solar panels in row on the ground (GameObjects placed in row)
    - to place all row of solar panels that follow the terrain (40 hectares in rows procedurally)
    - to place all net fences and wall fences (placed procedurally )
    - to place all light pole with perfect orientation (each 20 meter in all inside roads).
    All above works added in one day (thanks to your tool)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. winterkewl

winterkewl

Has anyone experienced crashing when using the "Process the terrain and create road geometry" button in Unity 3.5 ?

Everytime I hit this button Unity Crashes with no errors in the console, anyone else seen this?

6. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Loving this tool and I'm kicking myself for not getting the holiday special, lol. Two quick questions:

Using the free version, I get clipping issues with agressive elevation changes. Is this an issue with the free version, video card or the tool in general.

Also, is it possible to generate physical ruts and smaller undulations on the road surface? For instance, looking at richard burns rally, you'll notice ruts, grooves and other slight deformities in certain places.

Best,

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  7. raoul

raoul

@winterkewl, it is indeed not stable in 3.5 but note that 3.5 is still in Beta! It is our policy to come with an update, if necessary, only after a new Unity version has been officially released. This time however it involves a public beta, so, yes, we receive more questions about this over email and we decided to release an update once we got everything sorted out.

Meanwhile use it in the official release 3.4...

@Gherid_lacksGPS, The quality of the final result depends a lot on the terrain heightmap resolution in relation to the size of the terrain. In steep areas, try using higher indent values... Not sure actually if the free version includes this feature but for sure in the full version you can set the number of segments over the width of the road and there are a number of parameters to make the road less flat. If you want to add other slight deformations, you can easily export the road to .obj add the deformations in your modeling app and import back in Unity.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. raoul

raoul

UPDATE: This seems to be an issue with the 3.5 beta. For now please try turning off "Update Vegetation" in General Settings and let me know if you still experience issues.... I was told it will be fixed in the next beta.

UPDATE: Unity 3.5 issues with vegetation have been fixed

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  9. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Thank you for the clarification and info.

10. kamran1985

kamran1985

as i am creating a prefab for side object,its duplicating my object in preview.when i select the prefab of my object its shows two object in the preview.for eg:- i m exporting only one object from my max file bt when i see it in unity it creates a copy of dat automatically.

11. raoul

raoul

Hi Kamran,

I am not entirely sure if the problem that you are having is related to the procedural side objects system inside EasyRoads3D or that it is related to importing your max file / creating prefabs. From what you wrote it seems an import / prefab issue? In that case, if you want you can send the max file / unity project to me and I can have a look at it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  12. kamran1985

kamran1985

thanx for the reply raoul...........i was able to solve this problem and yes there was some issue with the exporting....bt another issue dat m facing is that when i see ur videos ur side object comes beautifully ,accurately matched along the road side.when i do it the objects are coming along the road side bt i always hv the problem of overlapping.for eg:- recently i was placing side railings,it was quickly placed wherever i wanted bt i had the issue with the distance in between the ralings.i tried to reduce and increase the distance to mantain the continuity bt it didnt work.i saw ur geometry in the tutorial it was perfectly aligned and was luking smooth and no overlapping,is there anything dat i need to take care of when m making mesh in max.....................m attaching some images to you if u can luk at them i'll b really thankful to you...

regards

Attached Files:

• $2.jpg
      $2.jpg
      File size:
      981.1 KB
      Views:
    • $1.jpg
      $1.jpg
      File size:
      501.9 KB
      Views:
    • $4.jpg
      $4.jpg
      File size:
      585.2 KB
      Views:
    • $3.jpg
      $3.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  13. raoul

raoul

Hi Kamran,

When you create a side object, you have 2 choices for Object Type:

1. Imported Mesh Object
    2. Procedural Mesh Object

Imported Mesh Objects are instantiated along the path. This type is used for side objects like lamp posts, trees, rocks, etc.

Procedural Mesh Objects are dynamically generated and follow the path according the 2D shape you can draw in the geometry editor window. This type of side object should be used to create fences, walls, etc. When you select "Procedural mesh Object" you will see a button "Edit Geometry". Click this button to open the geometry editor window. In this window you can add / move nodes that form the shape of your side object. You can add mesh objects as start / connection / end objects to procedurally generated meshes.

From your screenshots and what you wrote it seems you chose 1. Imported Mesh Object. Your objects will be instantiated ,hence the gaps in corners and railings not connecting.

The solution is to use the procedural mesh object type for the side objects shown in your screenshots. Did you have a look at the demo project? It includes examples of the type of side objects in your screenshots.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Raoul

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  14. Mr Turnip Head

Mr Turnip Head

I was wondering if the procedural sideobjects can have collision?

Currently I have a road with a simple wall along the side, but my character just goes through this wall. What are the steps to get collision?

Thanks
    Andrew

15. raoul

raoul

Hi Andrew, Yes I have to add that as an option. But this is easy to do in the unity editor:

1. Search in the hierarchy for the side object that requires colliders: Your EasyRoads3D object > Side Objects > Your Side Object
    2. Select this game object. You will see in the inspector that it has a Mesh Filter attached to it.
    3. Main Unity Menu at the top > Component > Physics > Mesh Collider . This will attach a mesh collider to the side object

Does that work for you?

Raoul

16. Mr Turnip Head

Mr Turnip Head

Hi raoul,

That did just what I needed. Thanks

17. raoul

raoul

Ok, glad to hear that, just make sure to wait with adding the Mesh Collider (or repeat this action) until you are entirely finished with the side object as the mesh collider will be removed each time you make changes to the side object. I will add "Mesh Collider" as an option in the next update...

18. kamran1985

kamran1985

Hey Raoul.....Thanx a lot for ur help....yes i saw the demo videos and i used procedural mesh objects only,and i saw in the video dat two prefabs are applied (one for start and one for the end) in the procedural mesh object,does dat hv different mesh for start and end.I cannot see my object on the path its shows a pink color path no object. when i use procedural mesh object and if I apply the same the prefab in in the connection object option also ,i can see my object in the scene and on the path but wid dat i hv the same problem of overlapping and gapping dat i showed you before...i seriously dnt knw where m going wrong.....

19. raoul

raoul

That sounds like no material has been added to the procedural mesh. You can add a material in the EasyRoads3D Object Manager window or in the Inspector after selecting the side object in the hierachy.

From what I can see from the screenshots you posted, only a pole connection object should be used for the railing. Apart from that all other elements for all 3 objects are procedural. Using connection objects for those will result in gaps.

If you want you can send me the materials and example meshes. I will make the side objects so you can have a look at it and you can instantly use them in your scene...

20. kamran1985

kamran1985

hey...thanks again for reply... i hv made a mess i knw dat bt m nt able to find out where m going wrong....its just a click in the video n m trying it out for a week......though m not a unity user bt this is really pissing me off now:(:(.....m sending u my max and texture files,it'll be really helpful if u can hv a luk at it....and thanx again

Regards

Attached Files:

21. raoul

raoul

I looked at these models. I had to export to fbx in order to import in Unity. But they all import in the scene at different scaling. Could you import these objects as fbx in Unity, correctly scale them in a scene and export the scene as a unity package. This way I know exactly at which scale to create the side objects...

22. kamran1985

kamran1985

Hey Raoul its done.....its material dat was causing problem,,,thanx a lot for ur help brother.bt i hv some doubts about custom objects also.i dont see any such option when i try to create a new object through easyroad3d tool.it gives me 3 option road object,river object and procedural mesh object.is custom object and procedural object same????......

23. raoul

raoul

Glad you got it working!

You indeed have 3 different object types with EasyRoads3D:

1. Road object
    2. River Object
    3. Procedural Mesh Object

The Procedural Mesh Object is essentially a waypoint spline based system to which you can assign one or more side objects, no terrain deformation involved. You can use this to create individual fences, walls, tree lines etc.

It was initially called "Custom Object" but I renamed it into "Procedural Mesh Object". I just double checked, in the manual it is still called "Custom Objects", I guess that is what is causing the confusion, right? I will fix that in the manual, thanks for mentioning this!

24. kamran1985

kamran1985

$SIdeObjectEnds.jpg $SIdeObjectEnds.jpg Hey Raoul...yeah finally its working and its coming out good..nice tool...gud work.......few more questions,i wish m not troubling u a lot.
    1. my side objects are ending in a very strange manner,m sending u an image,i'll b glad if u can hv a luk at it.Is there a way to end them properly,I mean rt now they are going down inside the ground.i want them to be straight and without stretching......do i hv to luk in edit geometry option for this....

2.when i make the road and i use side objects m not able to get rid of the markers even if am playing the game.they are still visible.bt in case of custm objects once m done with building the objects the markers goes invisible automatically bt in case making road and using side objects this doesnt happens.i hv to deactivate the markers everytime to hide them

Reagrds

25. kamran1985

kamran1985

Hey Raoul...one more doubt...my texture also filps whenever i flip the faces in edit geometry option...is there way to get rid of dat...and i was just working rt now and the road i made ,i tried to increase the width of the road after putting the side objects into the scene..strangely when i do dat it makes a copy of the road

Regards

26. kamran1985

kamran1985

Apology......nothing wrong with road...its all fine...there was copy of the road made by mistake

27. raoul

raoul

Hi Kamran, are all problems fixed? Regarding the screenshots, it is very difficult to tell from a screenshot what goes wrong. Is that marker the first marker of the scene? Are you using start end objects and are they possibly pointing in the wrong direction?

If you want you I can provide you with ftp access to our server so you can upload the project to our server and I can have a look at it...

28. G-Rom84

G-Rom84

I have one question about this plugin:
    Does it possible to place a road on custom terrain mesh, which for example I am planning to export from 3ds max to Unity? Or still it is possible to place roads only on built in Unity procedural terrain only?

29. raoul

raoul

If you want to adjust the terrain to the road, a Unity Terrain object is required. That is how EasyRoads3D works out of the box.

However, over the past months I have done a lot of coding regarding procedural mesh creation on custom objects. If you want to merge a road mesh and a terrain mesh, that is certainly possible. But it will be a bit harder to implement the smooth transitions between the road shape and the terrain. In EasyRoads3D you have full control over this. Per marker you can define over what distance the terrain will be leveled to the road height at that point.

30. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Doesn't terrain4mobile convert mesh to terrain? Perhaps that's an option? Or create a height map off your mesh - using a gradient material. Though, that's if precision scaling isn't an issue. :shrugs:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  31. G-Rom84

G-Rom84

Thanks for answer

32. unitarian413

unitarian413

Quick FYIs for people like me just getting started with EasyRoads3D:

First a tip: don't forget to make sure all your layers are on (esp the EasyRoads one) or else you are missing a lot of visual goodness in the editor :)

Second, there seems to be a bug if your project has multiple scenes/terrains with EasyRoads3D objects on it. It is possible (easy in fact) to have EasyRoads objects from one terrain mash up geometry in another. I think this was briefly touched on earlier in this thread.

Here are the steps to reproduce:
    1. download and unzip the EasyRoads3D sample project from Raoul. (You received the link to it in your registration email which also contained the serial number)
    This project contains 2 sample scenes, one called "_road scene", the other "_train scene", each with its own terrain gameobject

2. load it up, it opens in road scene (mislabeled in my picture, sorry please ignore), switch to the train scene. Everything looks cool, the 3 Easyroads objects (race track, river and bridge) in the road scene and the train track in the second scene are all in "edit mode" and neither Easyroad objects effects are visible in the other scene. You can switch back and forth between the scenes to verify nothing is happening just on switch.

3. now, in the road scene, select the river object (RoadObject13) and create the river by clicking on the "Create Road Geometry" button in the inspector (the middle one). As expected, the river is created. Now switch to the train scene. Unity will ask you whether you want to save your road scene changes before switching. Answer yes. When you see the train scene, you are in for a surprise: the river is imprinted in the train scene terrain !!

Is this is a bug or my pilot error ?

I attach a picture of the story.

I also noticed that if you restore the terrain in the road scene on the river object BEFORE switching to the train scene, everything is fine. I.e. the train scene terrain is not affected, no riverbed is carved in. I wonder whether the restore terrain mechanism of EasyRoads3D gets confused by the scene switch and somehow applies its magic to the wrong terrain ? I have not tried this yet, but I wonder whether this happens also if you use two terrains in the same scene ?

$EASYROADS3D.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  33. raoul

raoul

Hi unitarian413,

Indeed true if you use custom layer settings in scene view! EasyRoads3D uses layers 30 and 31. These layers are not named that is why the layer field seems empty when selecting an EasyRoads3D object. After you customize your layer settings, chances are that layers 30 and 31 are no longer rendered in scene view. Selecting "Everything" does not work here, for some reason Unity seems to also disable unnamed layers when chosing "Nothing" but ignores unnamed layers when chosing "Everything". To fix this, give layers 30 and 31 a name. You will now see that EasyRoads3D indeed uses these layers and they will also become visible in the layers drop down at the top right of the editor. You can now enable these layers and the objects will be visible in scene view.

You saved scene 1 with the river in "Rendered Mode" so the river shape is still in the terrain. Scene 1 and scene 2 in the demo project use the same terrain asset. This is an asset in the asset folder. Because of this, if you alter the terrain in scene 1, the changes will also be visible in scene 2. This is normal Unity behaviour. You will probably not encounter this issue in your own projects because you will create a new terrain for each scene. If you do want to use the same terrain source in several scenes and to avoid this issue from happening, duplicate the terrain in the project tab, remove the terrain from scene 2 and drag the duplicated terrain in the scene. Your 2 scenes now use unique terrain objects but they look exactly the same and roads / rivers in scene 1 will not affect the terrain in scene 2.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  34. KingPeas

KingPeas

Encountered the following problems:
    1) My computer has several users. All users can create roads using EasyRoad3D, but one of them couldn't see the road, it is transparent.
    2) Any changes to the road or terrain lead to restoring the object EasyRoad and to work with the new road has to build it. Every time calculation takes 3 to 5 minutes when the number of markers in the object about 10-15.
    3) After the construction of the road why is part of road painted under the terrain?

Sorry for my English

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  35. raoul

raoul

Hello KingPeas,

It sounds like that user customized the layer settings for scene view. Can you double check the Layer settings (combobox at the right top of the editor)? EasyRoads3D uses layers 30 and 31. These layers are by default not named. Unity has the behaviour that when customizing the layer settings and choosing “Nothing” for example, the layers 30 and 31 will be hidden as well. When choosing “everything” afterwards however, layers 30 and 31 are ignored because they are not named. The solution, select "Edit Layers" at the bottom of the dropdown" name layers 30 and 31 so they become visible in this layers dropdown box. You can now manually enable them so objects on these layers will be visible in scene view. Does this help?

I am not entirely sure what you are asking here? Regarding the time to process the terrain, this is not related to the number of markers but the length of the road and the nature of your terrain, heightmap resolution and the amount of vegetation and detail layers. But 3 - 5 minutes seems very long. I need more info regarding your project to give more precise feedback. If you want you can send me a PM or email me and send me your project so I can look at it.

This queston is also difficult to answer without having more info, can you post screenshots? Or again, can you send me the project so I can look at it?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  36. Miaheat4life

Miaheat4life

Hello Raul,

First off, great tool and I am excited for the upcoming updates.

My question is, How is the road priority currently determined after a final build? For instance, I have three road types, Roads with marking, Roads with no markings and dirt paths. I would like to force unity to read the roads in the order I just mentioned them. I realize that the tool update will give me an option for prioritization but for now, I would like a work around if possible.

Thank you,

Alex

37. raoul

raoul

Hi Alex, glad you like it!

Apart from deforming the terrain to match the road shape, EasyRoads3D creates geometry only. The result is an ordinary game object with meshfilter attached. That is the situation after the final build. Anything related to how Unity renders the roads is not controlled by EasyRoads3D.

What exactly do you want to achieve? Do roads overlap and do you want to render specific road types on top of the other? In that case probably the easiest to try and experiment with is the offset settings in the EasyRoads3D shaders. This offset is intended to make sure the road is rendered on top of the terrain. Perhaps you can achieve the desrired result by using different shaders with different offset values for each road type. In case you are not familiar with shaders. This is very easy to do, just open the EasyRoads3D shader you are currently using and look for:

Offset x, x (below LOD ...)

Experiment with the two values.

Let me know if you have further questions or if you meant something else...

Raoul

38. Miaheat4life

Miaheat4life

Raoul,

That is exactly what I meant, See examples below.

By default the Offset x, x is set to -5. I am using your EasyRoads3D-Alpha-Bumped.shader so I can have a fade on each end of the roads into the terrain.

Currently all my roads have the above mentioned shader applied. To test what you asked me to do, keep in mind I am not a software engineer, I placed a EasyRoads3D-Alpha-Diffuse on the top road and kept the bumped shader on the road underneath. I left the diffuse shader as -5, -5 and changed the bumped shader to -8, -8 but had no change.

Is what I'm doing correct? Can you give me an example of it if it is not.

Thank you very much for you help!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  39. raoul

raoul

Hi, lower values means it will be rendered on top of the other road. From what you wrote it looks like that is what you did, can you double check that because I justed tested this and it works fine here: -1, -5 (apha) vs -2, -6 (bumped which is rendered on top of the other road)

But this is about intersections. Depending on the nature of your project, the number of roads etc. I have an alpha version available with the new system. You migth want to check that out and see if that already works for you. Currently only one geometry layout is supported which is not ideal if roads have different materials, but you can easily fix that in a modeling app if you are confortable with modelling. Send me a PM if you are interested in that...

40. Miaheat4life

Miaheat4life

Raoul,

Due to the complexity of the project, I will have to have 3 types of roads. I have multiple segments, I have 26 segments alone with the dirt paths. I am building a roughly over 4km x 4km area with 3 areas of interest at 1km each.

I am proficient in May and Max. I noticed in your post that there is an obj export. I may have to use that if we can't get this sorting working properly. I would rather not due to the time constraints I have the possibility of having re do the roads if the customer feels like he needs to change something so modify the source directly would be ideal to carry over any changes.

So below I have a screenshot of what I did, this example shows two lane with markings and two lanes with no markings. I want the roads with markings to take priority always.

I did as you advised me to do with no luck. Maybe I missed something?

Thank you again,

Alex

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  41. raoul

raoul

Yes, you can export the roads to .obj and tweak them in Max or Maya.I would do that. Or check that alpha on a duplicated project, no need to redo the roads you only have to define the crosspoints...

But, like I wrote, I did a simple test changing the Offset shader as a workaround and it seems to work. I can't tell from here why it doesn't work for you. If you want you can send me an example so I can see what it looks like right here. PM me if you do not have my email...

42. Miaheat4life

Miaheat4life

Thanks for all your help Raoul. I am going to focus on other elements of the environment to be able to supply a status to my customer. I will leave this as a known issue for now. As soon as I get a chance, I will go ahead and import into Maya with OBJ. Can I find the procedure on how to export to OBJ in the manual? I didn't see it in the menu set. I have a back up project that has the roads un-built in case I have to make any adjustments later.

I found a folder with all of the OBJ. Is the correct procedure to import in Maya, modify the models, then re-import as a MB, MA, or FBX? Or do I save over the OBJ with a modified one and Unity will update from the OBJ?

This is what the path looks like:
    Unity_Terrain\EasyRoads3D\DirtPaths_01\DirtPaths_01_final.obj

Alex

43. raoul

raoul

You can find the "Export Geometry" button in the Inspector after clicking the middle tab which deforms the terrain and builds the final road.

Yes, if Unity_Terrain is the project folder and DirtPaths_01 is the EasyRoads3D game object name, Unity_Terrain\EasyRoads3D\DirtPaths_01\ is the folder where you will find exported geomtery and the source road splatmap textures (if applied).

This data is stored outside the assets folder to avoid importing etc. because it is intended for modifications etc. The modified versions should be in the assets folder so Unity will import them. And you have to replace the default roads generated by EasyRoads3D in the scene for the modified imported version.

A general note: this is the last day of the 2012 summer sale! http://u3d.as/1Ch

44. Miaheat4life

Miaheat4life

I will try that asap!

I already purchased my pro copy. Thank you!

45. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Just wondering, what is the standard procedures to make EasyRoad3D work with Terrain 4 Mobile?

46. raoul

raoul

I am currently looking into this with stephane (T4M) to optimize the workflow between the two tools. For now:

1. create your roads on a unity terrain object,
    2. export the terrain to .obj (scripts for this should be available on the unify website, otherwise I can makea script for this).
    3. optimize the terrain mesh in a modeling app but make sure to keep detail near the road.
    4. use this mesh on the T4M object

47. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Excellent! I am glad you guys are working together! :)

48. KingPeas

KingPeas

When you add a roadside (using side objects) over the road then road is rendered over the roadside. So we see incorrect picture (image 1), because we want the roadside be rendered over the road.
    If we use a standard Diffuse shader instead of EasyRoads3d/Diffuse the road and roadside are rendered correctly.

Settings of the Shader and Physical materials are automatically reset to default at each generating of Sideobjects (i.e. roadside) and roads (image 2)
    Can I customize the objects one time, so they don't loose settings during regenerating ?

Attached Files:

49. raoul

raoul

Yes, the road shaders use an offset to make sure it is rendered above the terrain also from a distance (to deal with the terrain LOD system). This offset can affect other meshes at the same road height on the road. You could use the same shader on those objects and slightly raise it a little bit (Y Position in the Inspector of that specific side object). But that depends on the object, I can not clearly see the shape of the side object. Is it a horizontal flat side object on top of the road at the sides? Depending on the nature of your terrain (reasonably flat or hilly) you can also experiment with tweaking the offset values for better results.

Regarding materials and customization. Is this especially regarding the road mesh render and physics material customization? Side objects are indeed destroyed and rebuild when switching between "edit mode" and "build mode". This is to keep the scene clean in "edit mode". The road mesh uses different shaders in "edit mode" and "build mode", I have to double check if this is done by changing the material or if different materials are being used. If the same material is used then that would explain why manually changed shaders are reset. I will also double check how the collider component is handled and how that affects manually changed materials.

50. raoul

raoul

The final road mesh uses the following roadMaterial Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/roadMaterial

Changing the shader selected for that specific material should work. Regarding the collider material and other collider settings, I changed this so these settings are preserved after changes to the road object. It will be available in the next update.

Regarding side objects and materials, like with the road material, make sure you change the source material in the project folder.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012