Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v1.0 for Unity - Plugin version Online

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Apr 29, 2009.

1. nikko

nikko

is there a way to save a road in obj, or fbx or something that could be used on iPhone (terrains are not supported by Unity iPhone.

2. raoul

raoul

The road itself can be saved in .obj format. I could add options to save the terrain too in .obj if that is useful?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Ps. can the guys behind AlphaBit please PM me!

3. lima3b

lima3b

Absolutely. That would be a very usefull feature to iPhone developers!

4. minevr

minevr

How to draw two road? :?:

5. raoul

raoul

Drawing multiple roads right now is not possible. Pro users can export the first road. Create a new assetbundle with the road and reimport back in EasyRoads3D.

Support for multiple roads is planned for the next release.

6. minevr

minevr

Look forward to the new version. Come on!! :p

7. raoul

raoul

Minevr, meanwhile you can also simulate multiple roads by using the bridge feature. Bridge segments do not affect the terrain so you can use them to cover the distance between one road and another.

ok, I will add export to .obj for the terrain itself also in the next release.

8. amherst

amherst

Raoul,

how do we purchase a copy of your EasyRoads? Is there a download separate from the Demo version?

Thanks!

9. raoul

raoul

Hi amherst,

Did you try the demo? It has purchase info (paypal only right now).

Raoul

10. nikko

nikko

Yes export to Mesh is a must for iPhone developers...
    It will bring you lot of sales (mine at least)

11. raoul

raoul

Hi Nikko,

I am currently working on an update, terrain export to mesh will be one of the new features.

12. lues de fabulam

lues de fabulam

I think it would be terrific if you also started working on crossroad/intersection templates for various amounts of roads, with markers to bend and twist its shape and rotation. Really, this is a much needed feature and would dramatically increase the caliber of your work.

For instance, a 3-way intersection template could look like this:

You'd manipulate the markers to adjust rotation and whether either arm of the intersection pointed towards different slopes/elevation. The curves would be auto-generated depending on angle, similar to bezier curves.

13. zumwalt

zumwalt

Well I downloaded the MAC demo version, but all it does is import a generic terrain, no edit features, nothing, its like alpha .01 version. Is there an updated demo to download that does something? I also sent you an PM about purchase. I'd like to see how this thing actually functions but the version to download does nothing but opens the demo terrain, thats it.

14. raoul

raoul

This is on the scope. I am currently working on a plugin version and then I will add new features.

Zumwalt, all demos in the 2 threads about this do work. The demo in the first post of this thread is the latest and does work. I replied to your PM. Did you read the instructions? Please let me know if it still fails to work for you.

15. Jordos

Jordos

Hi. I'm having trouble with the physics of my car in combination with the road mesh. Was wondering if anyone could help me.
    I used EasyRoads to make a simple road. Imported to unity and added a mesh collider to the road. Now when I drive the car from the terrain ON the road, it gets really slowed down. Except when the road is placed higher than the terrain (like y = 1), it just behaves normally then.

I guess one could suggest to not add a mesh collider then, but how to get bridges to work then? Make them seperate models?

16. raoul

raoul

Hi Jordos,

It seems the issue you have is not really related to EasyRoads looking at your earlier thread in the support section, http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=32284.

I wish I could help but I do not have much experience with car physics. Maybe you could post your code and explain your physics setup? Someone might be able to help you getting it to work.

Raoul

17. Jordos

Jordos

You're right. I was hoping someone who used EasyRoads implemented physics in their game.

18. online|offworld

online|offworld

Hey Raoul,

Would you like to host your project at my website? I have unlimited space and bandwidth and happen to think this is super cool work.

The URL is http://www.showmethatagain.com

19. bibbinator

bibbinator

Hi Raoul,
    What's the current status of EasyRoads?

Any idea when the 1.5 update will be ready?

Thanks,
    Brett

20. raoul

raoul

Hi Brett,

A plugin version is almost finished with a couple of new features such as closed tracks for racing games. It will be available hopefully within the next month.

Raoul

21. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

That is great to hear - I'm looking forward to this :)

22. raoul

raoul

Thanks!

Some screenshots:

For my own projects I developed a range of other terrain tools among which rivers and lakes with shore geometry automatically created and materials added. If there is interest in this kind of tools I will release them as plugin versions as well.

23. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Absolutely - I'd be happy to purchase further products from you - these are great quality.

24. zumwalt

zumwalt

A rivers and lakes carving tool would get used a lot around here I would imagine.

25. Pixero

Pixero

Absolutely.

26. basel

basel

Your windows demo give a 404. Can you fix the link?
    I will test it out :)

27. raoul

raoul

Yes, I took it off as it won't be long before I will release the plugin version. If you, or anyone else, is still interested in the standalone version let me know!

28. basel

basel

If it's no cost, then i am interrest.

29. DrFromTheLab

DrFromTheLab

Have you got a update when the plugin will be ready? :) can't wait! btw will we get the update on our e-mail or as a link in htis threat?

30. raoul

raoul

Thanks for your interest DrFromTheLab! Still some small things to fix/check. Also working on a website, unityterraintools.com

From this website you can download the demo and purchase the full version.

Raoul

31. sleekit

sleekit

Any luck yet raoul
    Will a stand alone version be available as well?

32. DrFromTheLab

DrFromTheLab

When will the editor version be done? can't wait :) and I check this threat every day :)

33. raoul

raoul

Hopefully before the end of next week. Have to prepare the final built and put a demo version together.

34. DrFromTheLab

DrFromTheLab

wow! you'e just make my day!
    tanks and can't wait!

35. Ennio

Ennio

Heey can someone make a video from "EasyRoads"? I'm very interested but i want to watch a video first.
    Thanks
    Ennio

36. raoul

raoul

Hi Ennio, I am planning to make some videos + tutorials but I first want to get this plugin out. It will include a demo so you can test it. Getting started is pretty straight forward:

1. Create a new Road Object.
    2. Draw the shape of the road by clicking on the terrain.
    3. Render the terrain. The terrain object will be leveled according the road shape and road geometry will be created. Alternatively you can embed the shape of the road in the terrain splatmap using any of the terrain textures.

Each road marker has a set of properties to customize the shape of the road.

37. Ennio

Ennio

Thank you. I have not read the manual... :D
    It's great! I was looking for exactly such a tool! You're a clairvoyant xD
    I ask my father (im only 14 :)) and then I buy it! :D

38. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Sounds really good to me! I can't wait. I work on a Bus Simulator and this would make my city creation a lot easier. I hope it's available later this week. How much does it cost when it's ready? And what does "Render Terrain" mean? I first create some terrain in Unity and then I draw a road on that terrain? Can I also change the texture of that road and width?

39. raoul

raoul

Yes, you create your terrain, then you draw the road. The terrain heights near the road will be adjusted so the road is positioned nicely on top of the terrain and you can change the road texture by changing the material attached to the object. The price will be $29 for now.

40. DrFromTheLab

DrFromTheLab

I have bought the stand alone version.. will key work with the unity "build in" version? Or have I to buy it a second time?

41. raoul

raoul

It will work with the plugin. You do not have to buy it again.

42. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Sorry that I ask here again but any new news? I check your website daily but nothing new :(. Do you still plan to release it this week? Thanks.

43. raoul

raoul

I just put a first release online: http://unityterraintools.com/downloads.php. Use "demo" to register!

Had to put more time then expected in other projects I had to finish, sorry for the delay!

Regarding the plugin, I have to optimize the code more and tidy it up but it should work. If you are interested, please download the demo and see if it works for you.

If you are experiencing issues, please let me know!

44. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Hello and thank you! I've downloaded the demo and import the Demo-Assets-Package. I've also read the manual but how do I make a demo road? I've build a "New EasyRoads3D Object" but it seems that all I can do is set road markers with Shift and LMB.

There are please-register-messages on all tabs and no other buttons. I also can not change/edit road markers. If I click on road-marker surface it jumps back to its parent RoadObjectX. Is it me or an issue with the Demo?

Another question. If it works can I already buy the full version on your site?

45. raoul

raoul

If you see "please register" messages after you registered there must be an issue with the registration. That also explains why you cannot edit markers.

I just checked everything myself, downloaded the package and registered. It works fine for me.

Yes, make sure it works (let me know), but the full version is available. I deliberately put the registration procedure in the demo as the full version works similar!

Did you actually receive a confirmation that registration was succesful? Can you try registering again?

About the road markers, am I right that you only see cubes representing the markers and not the road/surrounding surfaces connecting the markers? This would make sense if registration was not successful!

46. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Yes, you're right! It was not an issue with the demo but with the registration. I tried it again and now it works like a charme! I think I'll order the full version today.

47. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear that you got it working. Test all the features and let me know if you run into issues!

48. Pixero

Pixero

Just bought it. :D

Two questions:

1. Is there a way of connecting roads? I mean like an intersection cross (not sure if that's the correct english term for it.)

2. Not really a question, but the road test drive function you had in the standalone would be great to have in this version as well.

49. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Good question! Intersections would be great idea and really helpful! By the way... I've got a problem with the demo in my test level, see screen below.

This is how it looks after I've placed two markers. Road goes from left to right and it looks strange.

After rendering it is correct, road goes from bottom to top.

It is really strange and edit that road is a bit complicated. But where's the problem? (Road on the left is not made with EasyRoads3D, it's a mesh)

50. raoul

raoul

Hi guys!

@Pixero, tools for connecting roads will be added in a future version. For now you can simulate this by using similar marker positions on both roads at connection points and merge the geometry in a modelling program although I have to look into this regarding center point positions of the exported geometry. I may have to change something if merging road geometry would be useful. I will check!

Agreed, the road test is a useful feature to see what the road will look like from a driving perspective. I decided to implement this the other week but ran into some issues and decided to leave this for now as I didn't want to delay things any further. It is on my list for the next release.

@SirLancelot, as the full geometry of the road object is not visible on your screenshots it is hard to tell. The geometry points to the right direction. First I though it was a scaling issues but looking at the rendered road, it seems you are using quite big indent values compared to the road width! Add another marker, lift the middle marker upwards so it is well above the ground and play with the indent and surrounding properties of this specific marker. You will see what the purpose of these properties are. If all of this is not relevant, can you then post a screenshot with the full geometry visible?

Editing the road should be very simple. I would first add more then 2 road markers and then play with changing marker positions and other marker properties. Which part(s) do you find complicated?