Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v1.0 for Unity - Plugin version Online

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Apr 29, 2009.

1. raoul

raoul

Update:23-03-2011
    Version 2 is released. Check http://www.unityterraintools.com for various demo videos showing new features like, side objects, the new river tool and Custom Objects! Get your copy here, http://www.unityterraintools.com/store.php

Update: 01-07-2010
    EasyRoads3D Version 1.7.1 for Unity is now available here: http://unityterraintools.com/downloads.php
    Demo Movie: http://www.unityterraintools.com/demovid.php

Update: 17-10-2014:
    EasyRoads3D v3 WIP:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I just put a Mac built on the server (Windows will follow!) for EasyRoads3D v1. No website, fancy screenshots yet but you can download standalone trials for Windows and the Mac here:

http://www.andasoft.com/temp/demo.php

Please read the manual it will help you getting started.

EasyRoads3D v1 Feature list:

- terrain height data export from Unity > import to EasyRoads3D
    - Assetbundle import
    - unlimited road markers with adjustable properties for full control over the road and surrounding surfaces.
    - Save/load project
    - export height data from EasyRoads3D > import in Unity
    - export high and low poly road geometry (it now includes correct uvmapping)
    - road splatmap texture export > apply to Unity terrain splatmap
    - Support for terrain lightmap on road geometry

Please PM me or fill in the feedback form at the bottom of the webdemo (see link above) for purchase details if you are interested.

Here are some screenshots of a scene I quickly put together today:

Screenshot assetbundle import

The scene in Unity, including the road geometry and splatmap texture

Version 2 screenshots:

[updated images 01-11-2011]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. JeffAU

JeffAU

This looks very interesting and I love the look of your screenshots. However when I use the web player I don't see the blue circles, I'm unable to create bends in the road and I'm having trouble creating anything usable.

Is there any way you could prepare a video showing the process you used to create the roads in your screenshots? I'd love to watch a video demo and then try to replicate what you do.

Cheers

Jeff

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

Looks like a very nice start for a road tool :)

but it some more or less ugly problems in the webplayer:

1. The street texture is inifinity scaled instead of repeat nicely as on the screen. Didn't see any way to control the scale

2. The street floats above the ground. This can not be altered as the street height is hardcoded, any attempt to change it from 5 cm will drop it back

3. changes to the start control point are only visually represented if another control point is beeing changed

4. Adding a new control point enforces it to be in front of the last one in its current "road direction". A bit annoying when building snake like curves up a hill for example

5. it seems like the terrain deform has no impact. I expected it to deform the terrain if I am below it even if just partially. This also would be of interest for anti-roads ie a possibility to dig river beds into terrains.

6. The ui explodes when going fullscreen. Seems like this event isn't handled correctly. Otherwise it works fine on FF3 + Vista64

Missing features:
    1. Add a new control point between two existing points

4. raoul

raoul

Thanks guys,

JeffAU, the webplayer doesnt work well although you should be able to create the road. The issues are more related to navigation. Perhaps you should zoom in more to the ground to see the bluespheres? It really is just a matter of clicking on the terrain to layout the road. Afterwards you can change the properties of each marker indivually. At any time you can click "create terrain" to deform the terrain and see what it looks like. Right now I am preparing a Windows built which hopefully is ready today or tomorrow. Then I will prepare a standalone demo download. And I also planned to make videos but first the windows release and demo.

1. correct uv´s were added later, the webplayer has not been updated yet.

2. You can change the street height. And apart from that it only acts as a reference. You can adjust the height exactly to how you like it when you imported the road in your unity project.

3.Not sure what you mean, you should be able to change the properties of the start point. At least you can with the standalones!

4. The maximum allowed angle depends on the road width and is implemented to avoid overlapping faces when bends are too curvy. I could change this by having the target sphere turn red as an alert but not stopping you from adding a new marker at that point. And you can always change marker positions to any place you want afterwards.

5. It does deform the terrain. In what way didn´t it work for you? Yes, you can use it for other things like rivers too. I actually had already made a script that did specific terrain deformation. This tool is derived from that.

6. Yes, like mentioned in the instructions on the webplayer page, the gui is not working well in fullscreen. This is a temporary webplayer demo. I rather not spend too much time on making it perfect as the tool will be standalones.

Inserting and removing control points will be available in the full release (as mentioned in my post above).

Raoul

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

3. very strange. Didn't work yesterday, was forced to edit another controlpoint to have the street updated.
    Now it works just fine ...

5. You are right.
    Didn't work when I tried it yesterday. Strange. No idea what went wrong ...

6. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Maybe an actual downloadable would be better? The webplayer just isn't working for me.

7. minevr

minevr

Great!!

I would like to activate PayPal as soon as possible

8. karmacomposer

karmacomposer

I would pay $20 for this. I assume it will work with the indie version of Unity?

Mike

9. english10

english10

Bump...

“Windows will follow!) ”
    :D :D

10. Dakta

Dakta

Woah, what happened to my post? Oh well...

I agree, the webplayer lacks functionality, but this is something we need, and should have with the terrain engine.

11. raoul

raoul

As people seem to have more problems with the webdemo then I thought (there was not much feedback on this in the other thread, http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=20576, about this project) I decided to work on the standalone demo´s.

The screenshot above uses the road splatmap on the terrain splatmap. In the current version the road splamap is exported and can be pasted in the terrain splatmap using your paint program all manually. The demo will not have export options and I belief this splatmap functionality should be visually present in the demo. So in the weekend I put all of this inside EasyRoads3D. The splatmap exports from EasyRoads3D now includes 2 textures:

1. the road with a transparent background, for those who want full control and edit it in a paint program.

2. the terrain splatmap with road from easyRoads3D in it ready for import in Unity.

All of this means a short delay for the Windows version. But all is ready and in testing now, so it won´t be long before the Windows release and Mac Update.

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

Very good news and great progress you are making there :)

Go Go gadgeto-river-dig-and-road-paint ^^

13. raoul

raoul

I just uploaded standalone demos for both the Mac and Windows.

http://www.andasoft.com/easyroads3d/easyroads3D_Demo_Mac_Intel.zip
    http://www.andasoft.com/easyroads3d/easyroads3D_Demo_Windows.zip

The Assetbundle and Import folders both have 1 demo scene in it. You can test the Unity to EasyRoads3D pipeline yourself too. Please read the manual, it is not too big and it covers important information on how to export terrains from Unity using the terrain export script or assetbundles.

The Version History file has some info about updates and known issues.

I will do the final full testing tomorrow morning and then, if the demos work well for you too, I will release the Windows version and Mac update.

Hope it works better then the webdemo!

14. Hans

Hans

Woohooo looking forward to the win ver

thks

Hans

15. RoyS

RoyS

Vast improvement over the other one. Much easier to use, I had no problem placing roads.

1. How do you "close" a road? Like a race track.

2. Can the road be changed to a dirt road, two track or path?

Will be watching for the Windows release.

16. raoul

raoul

1. Closing a road is not possible right now. It will be added to the next release. In the mean time, if you want to finish a project quickly, you can just place the last 2 road markers at exactly the same position as the first 2 and weld the overlapping vertices of the road geometry in your modelling app.

2. EasyRoads3D only exports the terrain data and the road geometry. You have full control over the textures in the Unity Editor. Inside EasyRoads3D you cannot change the road texture at this moment.

17. raoul

raoul

18. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Awesome tool. I was having fun with the Mac demo, then when I started playing with the "Splatmap Properties" settings I ran into a glitch (see attachment). Dooh! Incidentally, you have a typo in the labels, it should be "Opacity".

Attached Files:

19. raoul

raoul

Thanks for letting me know about the typo!

About the splatmap issue, did you have this issue with one of the demo scenes or with one of your own scenes? If it is your own scene, are you using an assetbundle or terrain import? Also does the original terrain in Unity use 1 or 2 splatmaps? If no, could you send the terrain you are trying to import to the email in the purchase window?

Edit:
    Hmm, just had a closer look at the screenshot. It could be one of the demo scenes (the import file), but the texture contents seemed strange. I now see parts of the Gui in it which makes me think it didnt use the 2nd cam for the rendertexture but somehow the main cam But then, it looks like the road was captured correctly as the road texture is clearly visible on the path. Does this always happen when you use the splatmap features?

20. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I imported the included terrain map, created a fairly simple road, looked at it, then started to play with the splatmap properties settings and then it did what you see in the screen capture.

21. raoul

raoul

bigkahuna, I sent you a PM with a link to a test demo to get hopefully more insight in what goes wrong.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

22. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Sorry I wasn't able to get to this today, will try tomorrow...

23. raoul

raoul

bigKahuna, no need to run the test app. Something similar happened to me today. It turned out that terrain texture 4 got corrupted in my case which sounds strange to me as only splatmap manipulation is going on. Reimporting the texture solved it. I already contacted the guys at Unity about this.

I do wonder though if this always happens for you as for me it was the first time and I really tested this a lot not to speak about my other project where I use similar splatmap manipulation code.

And, does it also happen with the assetbundle demo scene?

Anyway, it does not affect the road splatmap itself, this is generated correctly.

Coming up this week:
    - insert / remove road markers
    - support for bridges
    - improved Road Test cam following with more features

24. raoul

raoul

The download link is updated:

http://www.andasoft.com/temp/demo.php

Added:
    - support for bridges
    - road texture tiling
    - insert / remove road markers

Improved:
    - Road fly through

Fixed:
    - terrain texture refresh after each splatmap update. This should avoid corrupted terrain textures like in bigkahunas post.

This is pretty much it for now unless there are some serious issues. Full version will follow!

25. rhamm1320

rhamm1320

Very nice utility and a great deal for $20. I purchased a copy of Unity indie because its not available for the engine I use yet.

Looking forward to future updates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OA0RzueMKs

26. raoul

raoul

Thanks rhamm1320 for purchasing EasyRoads. Hope you are enjoying it and your Unity licence too! All others who purchased at this stage, thank you as well. It is much appreciated. I will keep you informed on progress.

27. kmcmurphy

kmcmurphy

This tool is really great and the addition of adding/subtracting points made it even better! That was really a sticking point for me in the first release.

I do have one question, I've created an EasyRoads project and imported everything into Unity. I've made changes to the terrain in Unity and want to get it back into my EasyRoads project to make some additional changes to the track on my newly Unity modified terrain. Is this possible?

28. minevr

minevr

I was still difficult to apply for my PayPal

29. raoul

raoul

Thanks kmcmurphy for the nice comments. I agree that the option to remove and add markers was really needed.

About your question, you could simply export the terrain once again from Unity and save it under exactly the same name as the initial export file from Unity. Or you could open the specific project file (or a duplicate) in a text editor and search for the exported file name (2nd line) and replace it with the name of the newly exported terrain. This will load the project including all markers and properties but with the new terrain. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Minevr, I will send you a PM to see if we can work something out.

30. zelk

zelk

I am unable to download the demo. It never finishes. How large is the zip file?

Edit: It finally arrived. It just took some time. Get ready to receive your $20. ;-)

31. raoul

raoul

My hosting company (have been a client with them for over 8 years) was recently taken over by another company. Not too pleased about this as it involved lots of changes and upload time is just ridiculously slow. Download time should be fine though.

The zips are about 35mb (just in case anyone else is experiencing issues with this)

32. zelk

zelk

Your documentation say that I should place the "Editor" folder in the Unity Folder. However, where do I find the "Editor" folder. It does not seem to be part of the zip file!?

33. raoul

raoul

You are right the Editor folder was missing in the Windows zip, sorry about that! Just updated the zip.

Btw. anyone who doesn´t have a paypal account, check this temporary link http://www.andasoft.com/temp/paypal.html to purchase directly with credit card.

34. bakno

bakno

Hello

This is a great tool. We have spent some time learning it and creating our first track thanks to Raoul's guides.

Two details we are missing are:

- How to smooth some terrain spikes in the middle of the road without making visible holes on the terrain?

- How to get the road with the right texture (the one with white lines)?

Thanks

35. raoul

raoul

In Unity use the middle of the unity terrain sculpting tools to do the last bit of correction, if this is needed. Get the height of terrain next to the part that sticks through the road and use a small brush size and opacity to lower the terrain to the correct height.

I belief the road texture you already got working as you sent a screenshot yesterday of your work, or was that a screenshot taken from the EasyRoads app?

36. bakno

bakno

Thanks Raoul

Yes, the texture was very easy to apply on Unity. See attached image...

Attached Files:

37. jr57k

jr57k

I get a connection fail.

38. raoul

raoul

Did you try again? Download does work over here!

39. Hans

Hans

is the ver still 1.2 ?

thks

Hans

40. raoul

raoul

Hi Hans, yes, 1.2 is the current version. Unless there are some serious issues reported there will not be an update until 1.5 which will include support for multiple roads, undo/redo and some improvements regarding the controls.

41. freshcut

freshcut

Hey raoul, just using the registered version of easyroads and when I export the data, it seems to get stuck on exporting road png texture, just hangs on that status window and after 10 minutes or so it still hasn't gone :)

Any thoughts?

PS. Apart from that i love the program!

42. raoul

raoul

Hi freshcut, I think you are trying to export the road splatmap texture without first creating it. This is a small bug that slipped in after I added the splatmap options inside EasyRoads (initially it only exported the road splatmap without displaying it in the app itself). Make sure you enable the road splatmap first after creating the terrain and road. Then you can savely export all files. Or uncheck Road splatmap in the export window.

Let me know if this doesn´t help!

43. minevr

minevr

I get it!!

:D

44. minevr

minevr

Encountered the same problem :eek:

45. raoul

raoul

The solution is below freshcuts posts, did it work for you too Minevr?

46. emergki

emergki

Hi Raoul,

Very nice tool... In the past I have created a Road Editor too, but not in Unity...

My question is, can be possible use another mesh to be the road without using your road? The terrain will be adjusted to it or only using your road?

47. raoul

raoul

Hi EmerGki,

Did you try the demo?

The terrain will be adjusted according road markers which you can position on the terrain. The markers have a number of properties which gives you full control over the shape of the road and how it will blend with the terrain. This way you create the road and surrounding layout. Then the road can be painted automatically in the terrain splatmap and/or use automatically generated road geometry as an overlay. The tool exports the new terrain data, matching road geometry, the terrain splatmap texture an the raw transparent road texture (just in case you like to edit it yourself in a paint program). Now it is just a matter of importing everything in Unity using the editor scripts that come with the tool.

You can of course use your own mesh for the road but the power of the tool is that the generated mesh exactly matches the terrain surface. It is not possible to use your own road mesh in the tool to do the terrain adjusting.

Hope this answers your question.

Raoul

48. emergki

emergki

Hi Raoul,

Yes, I've tried the demo, and, I like...

The unique thing is what I'll need to make intersections, junctions, etc in the road, and, I need to create a very extensive road for each piece of my game...

Thank you...

49. minevr

minevr

tools operation = Unity operation ?

50. raoul

raoul

EmerGki, just create your roads in EasyRoads, export the roads and create the intersection geometry in your modeling app using the exported geometry as a reference.

Minevr, I have some difficulties understanding your question? tools operation = Unity operation ? :roll: