Unity Community

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Spain
    I looked at these models. I had to export to fbx in order to import in Unity. But they all import in the scene at different scaling. Could you import these objects as fbx in Unity, correctly scale them in a scene and export the scene as a unity package. This way I know exactly at which scale to create the side objects...
    http://www.unityterraintools.com - Road, River & Procedural Geometry time saver systems for Unity - Free test version for roads available!

EasyRoads3D on the Assetstore

Latest WIP procedural geometry demo - Upcoming Support for road intersections demo

WIP: Caves, overhanging Cliff, Tunnels,

2. Posts
    Hey Raoul its done.....its material dat was causing problem,,,thanx a lot for ur help brother.bt i hv some doubts about custom objects also.i dont see any such option when i try to create a new object through easyroad3d tool.it gives me 3 option road object,river object and procedural mesh object.is custom object and procedural object same????......

3. Location
    Spain
    Glad you got it working!

You indeed have 3 different object types with EasyRoads3D:

1. Road object
    2. River Object
    3. Procedural Mesh Object

The Procedural Mesh Object is essentially a waypoint spline based system to which you can assign one or more side objects, no terrain deformation involved. You can use this to create individual fences, walls, tree lines etc.

It was initially called "Custom Object" but I renamed it into "Procedural Mesh Object". I just double checked, in the manual it is still called "Custom Objects", I guess that is what is causing the confusion, right? I will fix that in the manual, thanks for mentioning this!
    http://www.unityterraintools.com - Road, River & Procedural Geometry time saver systems for Unity - Free test version for roads available!

Latest WIP procedural geometry demo - Upcoming Support for road intersections demo

4. Posts
    Name:  SIdeObjectEnds.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  1.16 MBName:  SIdeObjectEnds.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  1.16 MBHey Raoul...yeah finally its working and its coming out good..nice tool...gud work.......few more questions,i wish m not troubling u a lot.
    1. my side objects are ending in a very strange manner,m sending u an image,i'll b glad if u can hv a luk at it.Is there a way to end them properly,I mean rt now they are going down inside the ground.i want them to be straight and without stretching......do i hv to luk in edit geometry option for this....

2.when i make the road and i use side objects m not able to get rid of the markers even if am playing the game.they are still visible.bt in case of custm objects once m done with building the objects the markers goes invisible automatically bt in case making road and using side objects this doesnt happens.i hv to deactivate the markers everytime to hide them

Reagrds

5. Posts
    Hey Raoul...one more doubt...my texture also filps whenever i flip the faces in edit geometry option...is there way to get rid of dat...and i was just working rt now and the road i made ,i tried to increase the width of the road after putting the side objects into the scene..strangely when i do dat it makes a copy of the road

Regards

6. Posts
    Apology......nothing wrong with road...its all fine...there was copy of the road made by mistake

7. Location
    Spain
    Hi Kamran, are all problems fixed? Regarding the screenshots, it is very difficult to tell from a screenshot what goes wrong. Is that marker the first marker of the scene? Are you using start end objects and are they possibly pointing in the wrong direction?

If you want you I can provide you with ftp access to our server so you can upload the project to our server and I can have a look at it...

8. Location
    Russia
    I have one question about this plugin:
    Does it possible to place a road on custom terrain mesh, which for example I am planning to export from 3ds max to Unity? Or still it is possible to place roads only on built in Unity procedural terrain only?

9. Location
    Spain
    If you want to adjust the terrain to the road, a Unity Terrain object is required. That is how EasyRoads3D works out of the box.

However, over the past months I have done a lot of coding regarding procedural mesh creation on custom objects. If you want to merge a road mesh and a terrain mesh, that is certainly possible. But it will be a bit harder to implement the smooth transitions between the road shape and the terrain. In EasyRoads3D you have full control over this. Per marker you can define over what distance the terrain will be leveled to the road height at that point.

10. Location
    Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest
    Doesn't terrain4mobile convert mesh to terrain? Perhaps that's an option? Or create a height map off your mesh - using a gradient material. Though, that's if precision scaling isn't an issue. :shrugs:
    Last edited by Gherid_lacksGPS; 04-15-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    Landscape Architecture and Environment Modelling Portfolio - http://www.gheridsmick.com

When the bible says "man shall have dominion over the earth," the Hebrew interpretation of "dominion" does not mean to rape, destroy and take advantage of. Rather, man is to take a Spider-Man approach...with great power, comes great responsibility.

"Vitors BJJ is like the nucleus of an atom; people say it exists, but no one has actually seen it."

11. Location
    Russia
    Thanks for answer

12. Posts

Tip and Bug?

Quick FYIs for people like me just getting started with EasyRoads3D:

First a tip: don't forget to make sure all your layers are on (esp the EasyRoads one) or else you are missing a lot of visual goodness in the editor

Second, there seems to be a bug if your project has multiple scenes/terrains with EasyRoads3D objects on it. It is possible (easy in fact) to have EasyRoads objects from one terrain mash up geometry in another. I think this was briefly touched on earlier in this thread.

Here are the steps to reproduce:
    1. download and unzip the EasyRoads3D sample project from Raoul. (You received the link to it in your registration email which also contained the serial number)
    This project contains 2 sample scenes, one called "_road scene", the other "_train scene", each with its own terrain gameobject

2. load it up, it opens in road scene (mislabeled in my picture, sorry please ignore), switch to the train scene. Everything looks cool, the 3 Easyroads objects (race track, river and bridge) in the road scene and the train track in the second scene are all in "edit mode" and neither Easyroad objects effects are visible in the other scene. You can switch back and forth between the scenes to verify nothing is happening just on switch.

3. now, in the road scene, select the river object (RoadObject13) and create the river by clicking on the "Create Road Geometry" button in the inspector (the middle one). As expected, the river is created. Now switch to the train scene. Unity will ask you whether you want to save your road scene changes before switching. Answer yes. When you see the train scene, you are in for a surprise: the river is imprinted in the train scene terrain !!

Is this is a bug or my pilot error ?

I attach a picture of the story.

I also noticed that if you restore the terrain in the road scene on the river object BEFORE switching to the train scene, everything is fine. I.e. the train scene terrain is not affected, no riverbed is carved in. I wonder whether the restore terrain mechanism of EasyRoads3D gets confused by the scene switch and somehow applies its magic to the wrong terrain ? I have not tried this yet, but I wonder whether this happens also if you use two terrains in the same scene ?

Name:  EASYROADS3D.png
Views: 485
Size:  1.14 MB
    Last edited by unitarian413; 08-08-2012 at 02:18 PM.

13. Location
    Spain
    Hi unitarian413,

First a tip: don't forget to make sure all your layers are on (esp the EasyRoads one) or else you are missing a lot of visual goodness in the editor
    Indeed true if you use custom layer settings in scene view! EasyRoads3D uses layers 30 and 31. These layers are not named that is why the layer field seems empty when selecting an EasyRoads3D object. After you customize your layer settings, chances are that layers 30 and 31 are no longer rendered in scene view. Selecting "Everything" does not work here, for some reason Unity seems to also disable unnamed layers when chosing "Nothing" but ignores unnamed layers when chosing "Everything". To fix this, give layers 30 and 31 a name. You will now see that EasyRoads3D indeed uses these layers and they will also become visible in the layers drop down at the top right of the editor. You can now enable these layers and the objects will be visible in scene view.

Unity will ask you whether you want to save your road scene changes before switching. Answer yes. When you see the train scene, you are in for a surprise: the river is imprinted in the train scene terrain !!
    You saved scene 1 with the river in "Rendered Mode" so the river shape is still in the terrain. Scene 1 and scene 2 in the demo project use the same terrain asset. This is an asset in the asset folder. Because of this, if you alter the terrain in scene 1, the changes will also be visible in scene 2. This is normal Unity behaviour. You will probably not encounter this issue in your own projects because you will create a new terrain for each scene. If you do want to use the same terrain source in several scenes and to avoid this issue from happening, duplicate the terrain in the project tab, remove the terrain from scene 2 and drag the duplicated terrain in the scene. Your 2 scenes now use unique terrain objects but they look exactly the same and roads / rivers in scene 1 will not affect the terrain in scene 2.
    Last edited by raoul; 08-09-2012 at 06:46 AM.

14. Location
    Russia, Novosibirsk
    Encountered the following problems:
    1) My computer has several users. All users can create roads using EasyRoad3D, but one of them couldn't see the road, it is transparent.
    2) Any changes to the road or terrain lead to restoring the object EasyRoad and to work with the new road has to build it. Every time calculation takes 3 to 5 minutes when the number of markers in the object about 10-15.
    3) After the construction of the road why is part of road painted under the terrain?

Sorry for my English
    Last edited by KingPeas; 08-29-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    I want to IQ as ICQ, or at least as ICQ IQ.

15. Location
    Spain
    Hello KingPeas,

1) My computer has several users. All users can create roads using EasyRoad3D, but one of them couldn't see the road, it is transparent.
    It sounds like that user customized the layer settings for scene view. Can you double check the Layer settings (combobox at the right top of the editor)? EasyRoads3D uses layers 30 and 31. These layers are by default not named. Unity has the behaviour that when customizing the layer settings and choosing “Nothing” for example, the layers 30 and 31 will be hidden as well. When choosing “everything” afterwards however, layers 30 and 31 are ignored because they are not named. The solution, select "Edit Layers" at the bottom of the dropdown" name layers 30 and 31 so they become visible in this layers dropdown box. You can now manually enable them so objects on these layers will be visible in scene view. Does this help?

2) Any changes to the road or terrain lead to restoring the object EasyRoad and to work with the new road has to build it. Every time calculation takes 3 to 5 minutes when the number of markers in the object about 10-15.
    I am not entirely sure what you are asking here? Regarding the time to process the terrain, this is not related to the number of markers but the length of the road and the nature of your terrain, heightmap resolution and the amount of vegetation and detail layers. But 3 - 5 minutes seems very long. I need more info regarding your project to give more precise feedback. If you want you can send me a PM or email me and send me your project so I can look at it.

3) After the construction of the road why is part of road painted under the terrain?
    This queston is also difficult to answer without having more info, can you post screenshots? Or again, can you send me the project so I can look at it?
    Last edited by raoul; 08-30-2012 at 01:43 AM.

16. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Hello Raul,

First off, great tool and I am excited for the upcoming updates.

My question is, How is the road priority currently determined after a final build? For instance, I have three road types, Roads with marking, Roads with no markings and dirt paths. I would like to force unity to read the roads in the order I just mentioned them. I realize that the tool update will give me an option for prioritization but for now, I would like a work around if possible.

Thank you,

Alex

17. Location
    Spain
    Hi Alex, glad you like it!

Apart from deforming the terrain to match the road shape, EasyRoads3D creates geometry only. The result is an ordinary game object with meshfilter attached. That is the situation after the final build. Anything related to how Unity renders the roads is not controlled by EasyRoads3D.

What exactly do you want to achieve? Do roads overlap and do you want to render specific road types on top of the other? In that case probably the easiest to try and experiment with is the offset settings in the EasyRoads3D shaders. This offset is intended to make sure the road is rendered on top of the terrain. Perhaps you can achieve the desrired result by using different shaders with different offset values for each road type. In case you are not familiar with shaders. This is very easy to do, just open the EasyRoads3D shader you are currently using and look for:

Offset x, x (below LOD ...)

Experiment with the two values.

Let me know if you have further questions or if you meant something else...

Raoul

18. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul View Post
    Do roads overlap and do you want to render specific road types on top of the other?
    Raoul,

That is exactly what I meant, See examples below.

By default the Offset x, x is set to -5. I am using your EasyRoads3D-Alpha-Bumped.shader so I can have a fade on each end of the roads into the terrain.

Currently all my roads have the above mentioned shader applied. To test what you asked me to do, keep in mind I am not a software engineer, I placed a EasyRoads3D-Alpha-Diffuse on the top road and kept the bumped shader on the road underneath. I left the diffuse shader as -5, -5 and changed the bumped shader to -8, -8 but had no change.

Is what I'm doing correct? Can you give me an example of it if it is not.

Thank you very much for you help!

Last edited by Miaheat4life; 08-31-2012 at 06:30 PM.

19. Location
    Spain
    Hi, lower values means it will be rendered on top of the other road. From what you wrote it looks like that is what you did, can you double check that because I justed tested this and it works fine here: -1, -5 (apha) vs -2, -6 (bumped which is rendered on top of the other road)

But this is about intersections. Depending on the nature of your project, the number of roads etc. I have an alpha version available with the new system. You migth want to check that out and see if that already works for you. Currently only one geometry layout is supported which is not ideal if roads have different materials, but you can easily fix that in a modeling app if you are confortable with modelling. Send me a PM if you are interested in that...

20. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Raoul,

Due to the complexity of the project, I will have to have 3 types of roads. I have multiple segments, I have 26 segments alone with the dirt paths. I am building a roughly over 4km x 4km area with 3 areas of interest at 1km each.

I am proficient in May and Max. I noticed in your post that there is an obj export. I may have to use that if we can't get this sorting working properly. I would rather not due to the time constraints I have the possibility of having re do the roads if the customer feels like he needs to change something so modify the source directly would be ideal to carry over any changes.

So below I have a screenshot of what I did, this example shows two lane with markings and two lanes with no markings. I want the roads with markings to take priority always.

I did as you advised me to do with no luck. Maybe I missed something?

Thank you again,

Alex

Last edited by Miaheat4life; 09-01-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast