Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v1.0 for Unity - Plugin version Online

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Yes, you're right, that was the problem. My indent value was a bit too big. I've changed it to a lower value and now all looks nice! Thanks again!

2. Hans

Hans

Hello raoul

Is the latest ver still 1.2 ?

I have purchased your road tool when is first was released.

hope to see some good things in the next release.

Hans

3. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

No. 1.6.5 is the latest version and it is available as an editor plugin on his website. I think you can contact him to get an update for free.

4. raoul

raoul

Good SirLancelot, you got that fixed too!

Hi Hans,as SirLancelot wrote 1.6.5 is the latest release. You should have received an email with a download to the plugin version earlier this week. You did not receive it?

Anyone else who owns a licence and did not receive this email, please PM me or better, as I probably do not know your Unity forum name, send me an email!

5. sport20

sport20

I got the demo version and I must say that I can't seem to do anything with it.

I'm experiencing the same issues that SirLancelot was experiencing

"Hello and thank you! I've downloaded the demo and import the Demo-Assets-Package. I've also read the manual but how do I make a demo road? I've build a "New EasyRoads3D Object" but it seems that all I can do is set road markers with Shift and LMB.

There are please-register-messages on all tabs and no other buttons. I also can not change/edit road markers. If I click on road-marker surface it jumps back to its parent RoadObjectX. Is it me or an issue with the Demo? "

I can't seem to register though. Do I need to pay for it to be able to register?

6. raoul

raoul

Hi sport20,

SirLancelot was able to register afterwards. Please try again? Maybe there was an issue connecting to the server?

Also the same question for you, did you get a confirmation message that registration was succesful after you clicked the submit button? What did/does it say when you register? Do you get any error messages?

You don't have to pay to test the demo! Just in case, the serial is "demo"

Regards,
    Raoul

7. sport20

sport20

Thanks raoul! It's working great now. I didn't get any errors when registering and yes I got a confirmation that the registration was successful.

I must say, this is a great tool since I have been trying to create roads using cinema 4d and then importing them into unity3d and it's been hell for me. I'm currently working on a real road though, trying to replicate the roads where I live. It's a small project that I'm working on.

8. raoul

raoul

Thanks sport20, glad to hear you like it. Let me know if you have any further questions.

9. Jer0entjeh

Jer0entjeh

Hi Raoul, i downloaded the package but I'm getting the same problems as Sport20 and SirLancelot. My demo is registered! I've got the message that the registration was succesful.

But when I try to make a road I can only see square boxes. Can you help me?

10. raoul

raoul

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I was away last week. In most cases this issue is solved by closing Unity and reopening the project or by creating a new road object. Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Raoul

11. Jer0entjeh

Jer0entjeh

Thanks for your reply but it still doesn't work. I'm working on a mac so maybe that's got something to do with it?

I've tried to get it work for several hours but without succes, maybe i've missed some steps? Is there some kind of a video-tutorial?

Thanks

12. seventyfive

seventyfive

hi raoul, same goes for me.. why dont you include a demoproject with the package, at least one will know, that the stuff is set up properly..

edit:

as far as i can judge, it doesn't seem to work on mac.. after placing n markers and hitting refresh surfaces, there should be at least some kind of generated something. just the gizmos in the editor. changing settings anywhere lead to no result as well..

happy monday,
    marco

13. raoul

raoul

Hi Marco,

I will upload a simple demo package. I am on this and hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

Anyone interested in this, try the demo and see if it works for you: http://unityterraintools.com/downloads.php

Raoul

14. Armagon

Armagon

Do you have plans of releasing new versions soon? Also, how does this work for racing circuits? Any possibility of easily attaching a mesh around the road (guard rail, for example)?

15. raoul

raoul

For my own project I do use a customized version that allows you to add walls but this kind of thing is quite project depended.

I will think about this. Adding walls / guard rail is not that complicated, there is always the option to have a custom version of EasyRoads built, just contact me.

16. seventyfive

seventyfive

hi raoul
    any news on the mac versions issue?

cheers,
    marco

17. raoul

raoul

Hi Marco,

I am working on it. There is progress but not 100% working. I will send you an update coming week for testing.

Raoul

18. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

Good work!
    I have just tested it but the "requires internet connection" for activation is a big problem. I hate simple tools or plugins with this conditions and I generally boycott this. :D :D

Unity was the only exception but this is a big game engine and not a plugin. ;)

You could make a simple offline activation like Milkshape3D.

19. raoul

raoul

Thanks Gaspedal, maybe I will change this in the future. At this stage I prefer to put time in improving the plugin itself rather then changing the registration procedure. Anyone interested (using Windows) but without an Internet Connection at home, contact me.

20. JeffAU

JeffAU

Raoul,

Are the changes you are making possible solutions to the issues I have been having? I've never been able to render a road in the latest in-Unity builds.

Super ready to test for you anytime.

Cheers

21. raoul

raoul

Hi Jeff,

Do you see the road surfaces connecting the markers or only the cubes at marker positions? If you do see the road surfaces, what error messages do you get? Are you on Mac or Windows?

For those who are interested: the current version for the Mac is not stable. Test the plugin and see if it works for you: http://www.unityterraintools.com/downloads.php

Regards,
    Raoul

22. Armagon

Armagon

Any ETAs on this? :roll:

I'm not sure if a custom version is within my budget.

23. raoul

raoul

Hi Armagon,

I have been thinking about this and will probably add these features. It will let you create tracks like in the scene of the new car tutorial. But it will be in a next version. The Mac issues need to be fixed first. A new release is planned for the coming week. After this I will start working on the new features.

Raoul

24. BnTheMan

BnTheMan

Hi,
    This is more toward Roul, but anyone may reply. Also, I am not sure if this thread is dead now, since the last post was back in April 29 2010. However, in one of Roul's replys in this thread, he mentioned that he is planing on at least posting a video demo on how he designed his project that was posted in his first screen shots on this thread. So I am just wondering if there is any new news on that or maybe a tutorial as of yet?

I have downloaded the demo plug-in and read the manual, but I am still lost. The best thing I can create now is the original markers and setting up the left and right indents and surroundings. However, once I move a marker that is after the first marker all the markers prior to the one I am moving cause to create a sunken terrain around the road. To make matters worse, I then try softening the terrain to only find out that I loose the terrain's updates when I go back to the markers. In addition, the hardest part I am trying to accomplish is to have a road connect lineup with a bridge that I have modeled in Maya, as well as creating a road that goes under the bridge. There are 2 things in which are making it very difficult to accomplish my bridge road area.

1. The first part is with trying to adjust my last marker to be high enough to align with my bridge, and yet not too high that the marker exceeds the highest point of the terrain's height, which this happens anyway every time. So them I am re-adjust the last 2 markers, and doing this creates this horrible sunken terrain effect around the previous markers. Then, this is where I was mentioning about when I go fix the terrain in the terrain editor, swap back to the road markers, I then loose the updated terrain fixes.

2. The second thing has to do with the following...

First off, if I do get the last 2 markers lined up, which occasionally this does happen, I really start fouling up the terrain preparation for the under pass, which means that I need to readjust the last marker in step 1 and then I fall into this failing cycle. Also when I mess up real bad, in which I need to delete the road object, I cannot name the new road the same name as before. I am trying to keep things defined as the physical street names my game will have, such as 8thAve etc. However, when I try doing that, it says that it already exists. How could that be when I just deleted it? Does it create a hidden name list somewhere, and how can I delete that?

25. raoul

raoul

Hi BnTheMan,

It has been a while since I posted news, but a small update is ready, I just have to create a demo version out of it and then I will post it here including a video demo showing how things should work.

Not sure what is going on here, can you post a clear screenshot of this?

Yes, going back to the markers resets the terrain. That is supposed to happen otherwise the shape of the road will still be in your terrain and the terrain will be messed up when you change positions of markers afterwards. Wait with manually adding detail to the terrain until you are entirly finished with the road. Then add detail to the terrain if necessary.

It is much easier to create the road first in Unity, export to .obj and import into Maya. You will now be able to built the bridge exactly according the road shape. If you already have your bridge modeled then it will be very difficult to perfectly match the two in unity because of the nature of the road shape, a spline shape. I would probably stop the road object at one end of the bridge and continue with a new road object at the other end. And then connect the road segments properly in Maya.

Just one thing in between, it sounds like you are tring to accomplish creating a reasonably complicated road with the demo version which only supports up to 6 markers. For a good quality bridge at least 5 markers are needed. I belief it is impossible to create a brdige and an under pass at the same time with the demo version.

Look in your project folder, you will see a folder "EasyRoads3D". For each road object in a project a folder is created with the same name inside this folder (the road splatmap and exported road geometry will be stored in this folder). Delete the "8thAve" folder and you will be able to create a new road object with this same name.

Let me know if you have any further questions. And I really like to see what you mean with this "sunken terrain" problem!

Raoul

26. BnTheMan

BnTheMan

Wow a new update? What will it be? Inserting markers in between 2 selected markers. I am glad to hear that there will be a demo video coming out shortly. I also have a suggestion. Would it be possibly easier if you were to design road brushes? This way a user could choose circles, 3 way splits etc.

I will try, but I really think it only happens when my markers are not close enough. See the problem is, when say the end marker #6 needs to be pushed up, marker #6 and marker #4 create a "u". So in other words marker #5 is lower than 6 or 4, so when I move #5 up, #5 and #3 creates the "u". I do not think this is a bug, it is just how splines work, and I was just trying to mention examples of things I am doing wrong because I do not understand all the bells and whistle not to mention, I am also trying to learn how to use the terrain tools at the same time.

Oh boy, I did not really explain this one to well. Firstly, I did not mention that I am creating the bridge road ends as 2 road objects, and I am aiming of creating the under pass as a separate road as well, which I apologize for the confusion. However, my problem I am having with is cleaning up the terrain after pushing and pulling the markers. I do not know if it is because I do not know how to clean up the terrain or if it is the fact I should not be pushing and pulling the markers too much. Meaning, I am referring to how the road blends with the terrain. If I push the markers to high then the terrain does not look naturally built. It looks like the roads were more so built on stilts instead. I tried softening the area of the terrain, but then it does not flow with the rest of the terrain pattern. Then again, like I said above, I am also trying to learn the techniques on how to use the terrain brush tools at the same time.

Oh, so much to do and yet so much to learn, and I have set a goal for myself that I would have my beta version of my game completed by June of 2011. :roll:

27. raoul

raoul

This is already possible by selecting the Insert Marker tab instead of the Add Marker tab.

Yes, I understand that it is likely to have larger distances between markers in the demo version (assuming that you are using the demo at the moment) because of the limited number of supported markers. Obviously this gives you less control over the shape. Creating a U shape with only 2 markers is possible but it doesnot give you much control over the height during the U turn. To control this you will have to insert more markers.

I do not know the shape of your terrain but, again, when you use more markers snapped to the terrain height you will have a road that follows the contours of the terrain and it will look more natural.

The purpose of the demo is to get an idea of how it works and if it works well for you (there are some Mac issues which are hopefully resolved in the update I will prepare this week). You will need much more then 6 markers to create a nice looking road.

28. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

29. raoul

raoul

Hi,

Version 1.7.1 of the EasyRoads3D plugin for Unity is now available, download the demo here http://www.unityterraintools.com/downloads.php. Apart from new features it has been reported as being more stable on the Mac by beta testers. Should you still experience issues then the new builtin debug system will make it easy to trace these issues.

I also finally put a demo movie online. It demonstrates how fast you can create high quality roads with this plugin. Special features such as tilted bends and bridge segments are also demonstrated. Watch the movie here http://www.unityterraintools.com/demovid.php. Special thanks to Botumyx who kindly provided the terrain.

Unless serious issues are reported, this will be the last update for version 1 which is still available for the special price of $29.

Version 2 is already being worked on and will include a system to apply your own side objects to the roads, such as lamp posts and fully customizable procedural geometry such as side walks and walls.

Please ask if you have questions.

Regards,
    Raoul

30. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

The update looks great!

The new video tutorial is also very good.

Could you send me the project and scene from the video, then I can add one of my cars racing around your road! and I can post a video of it as well! :)

All the best!

31. kosmopol

kosmopol

Wow, this tool is awesome!

32. botumys

botumys

Nice video Raoul !

(ps: it's Botumys, not Botumyx :) )

33. raoul

raoul

Thanks guys! And sorry about that Botumys! I looked at one of the zips I sent to you which was with x, but that was probably my mistake as well! :oops:

34. sam1234

sam1234

Anyone knows how to add markers in Unity on MAC?

I have selected the "Move" button in the Unity as described in the manual. (Unfortunately the download package is missing all the graphics so difficult to know for a noobie)

I have used CTRL, Shift, Command, ALT none of them work. Everytime I use SHIFT and left mouse button, it tends to use another object (Terrain) in the Hierarchy.

Thanks

35. mercuryplutus

mercuryplutus

are intersections possible with this? or just one long road?

36. raoul

raoul

Sam, the downloads have been updated with images. You can also access the online manual from the EasyRoads3D info tab on the right. Anyway, I don't think the problem you describe is related to selecting the move tab in the Unity Editor. Not sure why it selects the terrain object. Over here the terrain object can only be selected from the hierarchy. Clicking on it in scene view will not select it. Are both the road object and terrain selected after clicking or only the terrain?

mercuryplutus, no intersections yet, but it supports multiple roads and geometry export. So you can merge roads in a modelling app.

Raoul

37. sam1234

sam1234

Thanks Raoul.

I am using Unity 3. Unfortunately Unity 3 install overwrote my Unity 2, so I cannot test it on Unity 2.

On Unity 3, pressing SHIFT and left mouse button selects both RoadObject and Terrain Object. It is similar to selecting multiple objects. Maybe a better approach would be to use some other key combination?

Thanks again.

38. raoul

raoul

Thanks sam1234, I will look into this as soon as I have received my beta 3 access.

39. mercuryplutus

mercuryplutus

sweet exporting the roads and merging intersections will work for me. if i buy this will it work with unity 3.0? or will i have to buy another version?

40. raoul

raoul

It seems there are issues with shift key (which you have to press when adding road markers) in Unity 3. I will look into this as soon as I have received my beta access. But you can try the demo, http://www.unityterraintools.com/downloads.php. If the demo works, the full version will work.

41. sam1234

sam1234

Raoul,

Here are my observations on MAC, Snow Leopard

I reinstalled 2.6.1 and the EzRoads does work in that version. in unity version 3.0 beta 2, it however does not work.

Also found out that if there is a RoadObject01 in Hierarchy and if I deleted it, It does not cleanup the directory from Assets folder. Maybe this happens on MAC and not on Windows version. this forces you to create a new Road object with 02 and 03 etc. Anyway that is not a biggie.

42. reissgrant

reissgrant

Are there are plans to include intersections in the future releases?

43. raoul

raoul

Thanks sam1234 I will look into Unity 3 issue as soon as I can. Regarding road names, in the EasyRoads3D folder, just delete the folder with the same name as the deleted road object. You will now be able to reuse the same road name again. The current folder structure needs to be changed in order to do this dynamically as it may delete folders associated with roads in other scenes. I will add this in version 2. And good to hear that it does work for you on the Mac! Do all features work?

Yes, reissgrant, I am planning to look into adding support for intersections. I just need to get into this and find a good way to deal with issues like uvmapping when two roads cross.

44. Greymarch

Greymarch

I too would be looking for the ability to intersect roads, either the same single road and/or multiple roads into both + and T intersections. Any news on how that may be progressing or when/if that will become available? Thanks.

45. raoul

raoul

Hi Greymarch, Thank you for your interest! At the moment I am working on other new features which come along quite well, I will post some screenshots / video when this is fully working. I do not have updates regarding intersections other then it is on the list. Meanwhile you can use the road export feature, merge all roads in your modelling app and reimport in Unity.

Raoul

46. hakcan

hakcan

hi roul,
    ı want to use your plugin for my simulation project and ı have to take extra informations
    can you send your msn to my pm

47. raoul

raoul

Hi hakcan, just sent you a PM

48. Ethan

Ethan

Hi raoul,

do you see a possibility to create rails instead of streets? If you could place rails in any way i'd buy it right away!

Cheers
    Ethan

49. raoul

raoul

Hi Ethan,

You will be able to this in the near future with version 2. I will see if I can post some screenshots.

Raoul

50. Greymarch

Greymarch

Is there an ETA on version 2? (coming very, very soon or unknown?) Thanks.