Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Camp fire : The game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Deleted User, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

hello basilbits here um is there anyone who can give me some suggestions on my new game?

your in a helicopter and it gets shot out of the sky in enemy territory. surive. how: gather food, find shelter with lighting, and defend yourself.

A im stuck using unity's soldier scenery. i got rid of most props but have to use terrain ground and skybox or else it screws up gui.

B suggestions or ideas for game?

C what do i use in java or c for enemies to attack the character or what scripts

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  2. Livvy

Livvy

I would first choose a language to learn, either c# or JS. For the problems you are having with the "soldier scenery", have you read the documents that come with it? They will explain what does what and will help you understand why you are having issues.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

thank you for your help. i will see what language is easy for me

4. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

Are you modeling yourself? If you are then use blender, it's the best free program out there besides unity itself.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

im stuck using soldier 3rd person soldier control but i will try using blender. im back 5 m later but it wont let me run the program:sad:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

well im sort of starting fresh now. may change everything. but i may save his idea for a different game

7. georetro

georetro

Hey dude. If this is your first time working with Unity3D welcome! If you are planning on doing a game based around the survival genre then I would ask yourself a couple of questions:

How does my game compare to other games in this genre such as DayZ, Rust, Project Zomboid, Sir you are being hunted?
    What features do I offer that are unique?
    Why should I play this game when I could be playing more popular games like Rust and DayZ?

This is just some advice I give to everyone whom is making a game under this genre. Because there is currently a lot of survival games out it is easy to integrate the same features as other games. For example: food, health and thirst bars, day/night cycle, lootable buildings.

Hope everything goes as planned and don't let this stop you from making a game under this genre. This is just a bit of advice :)

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

thank you i'm actually familiar with unity and know some java but i will take your ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

well I'm not completely on this game. finally learned some java to cut out the soldier locomotion because i know a Js that shoots objects so don't need a pre-created model. now i can just add the script to 1st person. (i wanted this to be a 1st person game any way+ my team was leaning torwards that.). also can i open blender in unity?

10. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I don't want to make offense here, but first you should to learn the basics of scripting, starting a project with a bootcamp demo which is old is not a good way to make a game, i bet that you have a lot of warnings because of the version of unity.

Also known a js script that shoots objects it's not the way to do the things, you actually need to know how to script it, well you can search for some help but if you copy it you will never learn.

And yes, Unity can open blender files.

Good luck!

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

im thinking of postponing this game for a way better survival game but ill think about it.

12. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

A way better survival game won't make that you need to write your own code, or animations or models.
    If you like your idea do it, but if you start without any knowledge of scripts or modelling it can be a mess.

Only my suggestion, you can do whatever you want.

Cheers.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

i'm going to stop using the bootcamp anyway but im right now in a bit of a rush.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

and yes it was one heck of a mess.

15. georetro

georetro

Dude, I would listen to KirbyRawr as I agree with him. You said your familiar with Unity but the way you are responding and telling us about the scripts etc... it sounds like you are very new to programming and Unity itself! If I was you I would sit down and get to grips with your chosen programming language (that's if you do want to program of course) and then get used to Unity and make your game.

16. Lautaro-Arino

Lautaro-Arino

Seriously dude. If you have not programmed a game before then you should maybe not aim for a full 3d, combat, survival, menus, inventory thing. I think you will get stuck to offen and just get sad and quite. You need to learn.

So if you want to continue i think you should ask yourself if you will enjoy studying, experimenting and learning as much as enjoy making a game?
    For your first game, a Pac Man clone is complecated enough. Start small. You will not succeed in making a game that is fun for anyone but yourself and your closest friends untill you have learned it all. Take small steps and aim to study and learn, not to make game history.

17. creativemindsexcel

creativemindsexcel

He will learn by creating his dream game. It may be complicated, but it's still a learning experience.

Make your game and it will probably be better than most survival games. Remember that.

18. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I left all for create games and assets, and i started with a 3d platform, not a good idea because i abandoned it, it was a messy thing but it worked.
    Maybe he can do it, but he will redo it 5 times at least, i'm sure of it.

Cheers

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well I never said I was done learning jv and I'm starting with a very basic design

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Although I know your being rough on me because you want this to be a good game so thanks for being supportive and not abandoning my cause :)

21. TotalAlone

TotalAlone

I can give a big plus to www.walkerboystudio.com for being a good learning tool for Jv! Even though its 3 years old, they still respond to emails and such, so it's still active. I'm using it myself. :)

22. CGCxXSMALLSXx

CGCxXSMALLSXx

i agree completely with kirby i refreshed mine at least 5 times :)

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sometime soon I will probably close this thead for another game I'm using

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

How do you close a thread?

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

I wonder ; does notch use unity

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Anyways not the point what I'm trying to do is postpond this idea for a different game

27. Deleted User

Deleted User