Search Unity

[WIP] The Core Chronicles - 2d Action Adventure RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Musicapparatus, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Hi everybody I'm working on a 2d bit art arpg called "The Core Chronicles".

$Menu.png

I plan on posting an update everyday for 365 days. That's how serious I am about making this game. I've wanted to make one for the longest time now. I"m using Javascript for the gameplay coding and Gimp for bit art. The player goes on an epic journey to the surface to find out why they live underground. That's the simple version there is a lot more depth to the story line.

The game is focused around a character that is of the race "Moonkin". They are one of the four races that live underground. The world underground is nothing like the surface. They have lived and evolved for 100 years underground so the vegetation lighting everything is effected. There are four races Anphibios, Herbasins, Vilekin, and Moonkin.

Plants only grow where moonstones shine. That's the only source of light for the plants. The plants have a purplish hue due to the light they survive off of. The trees grow towards the light and aren't like the trees above at all and sometimes bear moonfruit.

I have put a lot of thought into this game that I will inform everyone on in other posts don't want to bore anyone.

Current Update!

Dev Update #1

Here is a progress of the landscape. Of course it's just a rough outline so far but progress none the less.

$TheCoreChronicles.png

I kept Unity in 3d mode for this and set a img to every tile on the map. Also by keeping it in 3d mode it gives me the option to put in 3d models in the future.

Dev Update #2

Here is another update since I didn't start this yesturday.

These bushes leaves heal wounds, so when the character attacks the bush the bush drops healing herbs.

$HealthHerb.png

Thank you for checking out my game and I look forward to posting another update. Perhaps next time I'll have a gameplay preview. :) Have a good one everybody.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. dessicaaa

dessicaaa

I'm really liking the color palette. I think the house could look a bit different, maybe more like a cave. It just looks very cookie cutter to me. I know you're still working on the landscape but the trees could use a bit more foliage. I like the idea of the bushes dropping healing herbs instead of a potion bottle. Really neat so far! Can't wait to see more, you've got a long road ahead of you. Cheers!

3. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thanks! Yeah the house is just a rough outline for now definitely going to change it. More like a cave was exactly what I had in mind actually. I am going to add more foliage not sure how much though. Thanks again! Yup I sure do have a long road ahead of me a lot of content has to be made. Cheers to the New Year! :]

4. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Dev Update #3

Worked on more of the environment factors and character creation.

Hopefully I'll have enough done tomorrow to post a gameplay video.

$TheCoreChroniclesDev3.png

5. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Dev Update #4

Here's a short gameplay video to show some of the features I've implemented and progress I've made.

- WASD movement
    - Collision detection
    - Lighting
    - Torches
    - Basic GUI

Working on a basic Inventory system currently.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  6. dessicaaa

dessicaaa

Whoa! Looking pretty cool, the lighting looks really neat!

7. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thank you dessicaaa!

In this update I'm going to show the newest implemented features.

- Main game menu "temporary"
    - Screen Transitions
    - Basic Inventory
    - Item pickups

I also decided to keep the character at 32 bit.

Next I will be adding the combat system, mobs, ai.

8. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Excellent job. This is looking great.

Best,

Jon

9. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thanks Jon I appreciate it. Have an awesome day!

10. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Dev Update #5

Hi everyone here is what I added in this update.

- NPC that you can interact with.
    - Mobs
    - Combat
    - Destroy-able obstacles.

Next I plan on finishing the starting village and polishing it up. Also adding a story of how he gets his main weapon "Spear" so he can venture out of the village. As the character the player will have to navigate through an ancient cave it wont just be automatically with the character. Also I plan to have the bushes drop the healing herbs by next update.

11. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

12. georetro

georetro

This is coming along really well! Good luck and I wish you all of the best for this year :)

13. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thank you georetro I really appreciate it. I wish you the best for this year as well! :)

14. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Hi everyone I've been pretty busy because I have a big test coming up but here is another Development update.

Dev update #6

Added features

- Health herbs
    - Health herbs drop on destruction
    - Follow script

As you can see in the video after the bushes destruction the herb follows you to be collected. Also the old man isn't supposed to be able to walk into the wall so I will be fixing that as well lol. :]

15. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Dev Update #7

Passed my test and now going hardcore with development. Sweet tea in my Legend of Zelda mug fueling me alrighty so here is what is in this update.

- A lot of added aesthetics
    - More NPC's with helpful dialogue
    - Rough draft of the first dungeon
    - Sneak peak of what the Spirit guardian of the dungeon looks like.
    - Transition from after you get your first weapon. Including the npc's have new dialogue realizing you have a weapon.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  16. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Here is an up close image of the spirit guardian that is in the first dungeon. He will play a much bigger role as this game gets further in development. He's 200 years old and the character is the first person he has seen since the last "Chosen".

$Guardian.png

17. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

A quick update to show some of the terrain progress. I'm trying to make the environment look alive. Maybe some tree animations are in order. I'll be making more terrain objects soon.

First environment screenshot -
    $TheCoreChronicles.png
    Current state -
    $CurrentTerrain.png

18. Kelde

Kelde

Veeeeery niiiice! Will be watching!

19. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thank you Kelde! Here is a dungeon terrain update, not even close to done yet. :)

$dungeonupdate.png

20. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Quick update - Here is one of the enemies from the first dungeon. A wild "Blue Cave Slug" appeared!

I should have the first dungeon done soon. I'm still deciding how many floors I want it to be, I think I'll stick with 4 floors. I already have an idea for the boss fight. :)

$bluecaveslug.png

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  21. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Dev update #8 -

This update is showing a little preview of how the combat and dungeons are going to be.

New features -

- Mobs
    - Combat
    - On triggered event doors

I figured out how to make triggered doors. The door doesn't open until the blue cave slug is slain. This opens up all kinds of possibilities for puzzles and the like. On the second floor of the dungeon the only way to get through is to go in the right direction for 3 instances. So you have to go through each direction in the right order or you will end up with monsters and back at the starting room.

22. Kelde

Kelde

this brings a nostalgia, im gonna support this the best I can. Always wanted to do a top down Zelda like RPG like this, maybe ill talk my programmer into givin in for it:p

even the graphics looks "old" amd I really like it!

23. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thank you I really appreciate it, It's been a blast coding the features and doing the pixal art. You and the programmer should definitely look into making one. It looks like your game is moving along quite nicely. Your art style is awesome!

24. HolBol

HolBol

Just want to point out, that should be "You're", instead of "your".

25. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

I know I'm going to need to change it, I just typed something real quick as a draft.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  26. Flint Silver

Flint Silver

very nice project!
    I don't like very much the art ( because are better than mine ). In the second video you show the inventory system, but the weapon was show forward than the player, is this issue solved?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  27. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

Wow, nostalgic.
    I'm "watching" this thread.

Btw, how did you do the inventory system?
    I will making one myself in the future, but haven't figure it out yet.

28. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thank you! I showed it like that so I could show how the player can pickup items and store the item into their inventory.

Cool thanks for watching! The inventory system is done in Javascript and each item slot is a GUItexture variable. In the update function right now I have it so the arrow keys allow you to select what item you want to equip. So by default the counter is set to 0 then when you push arrow left the spear is selected because it's in the first slot.

The inventory script works together with player scripts so it does the right attack animation and weapon damage. I think I'll make a Youtube vid explaining it more because it's way easier to explain by showing it and seeing an example.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  29. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Dev Update #9 - More mobs, bug fixes, added chests

I've added chests that appear after enemies are defeated, mostly fixed bugs this update. Collision issues and what not. In this room you have to defeat 3 blue cave slugs then the chest appears and door opens. Have a good day/night everyone!

30. GeneBox

GeneBox

This is looking pretty good, keep it up!

31. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

This looks really fun :D

I'm also working on a 2D pixel art action RPG (started with some tests of the new Unity 2D sprite system) And will make a topic about it soon :)

Keep up the good work!

32. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thank you, will do!
    Thanks! I'm hoping to release an alpha web player soon. Cool! Let me know when you post it and I'll check it out. Thank you I will! :)

33. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

You're welcome :)

Good idea, being able to try the game yourself is always better than just watching screens and videos! I'll make a topic of my game when the main character and a test level is ready so people can try a webplayer build right from the start :)

34. Flint Silver

Flint Silver

No Updates today? :p
    Thanks for the answer :)

A question:
    How did you do the changer of the 4 differents sprites? Did you make a cube with the 4 different sprites and then rotate the GameObject with a script?

Sorry for my bad English :oops:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  35. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Yes! and that's a good idea as well.

I want to get atleast another floor of the dungeon done before the next update. The player object is modified by a animation script that changes the image based on what direction the player is going. Every direction has 3 images that make the player animate smoothly. It's ok I understand what you are saying no worries. :) if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

36. Flint Silver

Flint Silver

Thanks again for reply :)
    Another question and then I'll stop to ask you everything ( I've already expressed my 3 wishes :D ).
    The Sprites are made like you see from front an object, then inclined to 45° ( or less I don't know ) the sprite, or created with that style?

Sorry for my bad English :oops:

37. nofosu1

nofosu1

Watching your updates, gave me such a warm feeling inside. I love your video as well, short and to the point. will keep an eye out for this. Well done!

38. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

The character sprite is made for the down direction, up, right, left each with 3 images going in each direction giving it the animation effect. When going in a certain direction the script cycles through those 3 images. I hope that helps :)

Thank you I'm glad you really like it, and thanks again stay tuned because there's going to be an update tonight!

39. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Dev Update - #10

I've been designing the 2nd and 3rd floors mostly but here is a pic of one of the rooms I recently made, I've also implemented switches. I'm almost done with the first dungeon.

$switch.jpg

The switches activate when hit by your weapon, most of the puzzles here involve your spear that you get within the dungeon. The puzzles in this dungeon are kind of a tutorial of the basic features.

I plan on making a Youtube dev episode later with me talking about the update. I think it will be better and more interactive.

New features -

- Switches
    - Graphical updates

The 1st dungeons base design should be done tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  40. Flint Silver

Flint Silver

no more Updates? :sad:

41. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Dev Update - 11 (Boss Battle)
    Sorry about the wait. I was a little busy and I'm the one man dev team for this game haha. In this episode I show how the Boss battle for the 1st dungeon is coming along so far. I hope you like it. Have a good day/night everyone!

Also if you like my work please subscribe to my Youtube or like my Facebook page and comment as it gives me a little boost of motivation each time.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  42. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Just a quick update just to let people know I am still working on this in my spare time. Right now I'm working on the final touches to the first dungeon and thinking of more terrain art to give the game world more life. Perhaps when the first area is done I'll release a demo or web player.

43. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Dev Update - 12 (Bringing the world to life)

This Dev update is to showcase some new animations and sign interactions. I've completed the first dungeon and I'm close to releasing a demo. I want to insure it is a great quality demo.

Next update I'll be changing interactions so the "e" button is only for inventory and "q" is for talking/general interactions. Inventory needs a little improvement along with the GUI. It's been a long journey and I'm lovin it in the words of Mcdonalds. Have a good day/night everybody!

44. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Nice progress :D it will definitely be better when you have a separate key for inventory and interaction (watched the video before reading and was wondering why the inventory always popped up after reading a sign ^^'). Text boxes are definitely the thing I will add next in my game but working on some graphics first before I go back to "programming mode" ;)

45. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thank you! :D yeah I was thinking wow this is annoying as I was testing out the signs. I'm not sure what aspect I like better in making a game programming or graphic design. Graphics are always what catches peoples eye, but programming makes everything tick. Best of luck to you and your game. :)

46. Heu

Heu

Lookin' great so far. Can't wait for the first demo!

47. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Thank you! I can't wait to release the first demo!

48. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

I like programming the most cause it's the "easy part" :p It's funny cause I'm actually more of an artist. I had drawing and animation lessons when I was a kid, did artistic studies and in college I learned digital painting and 3D modeling. Problem is that I have become so critical of my own art that sometimes I give up before even starting ^^' But it's going fine at the moment with the sprites of my game, the progress is a bit slow though because I keep changing pixels till it looks "perfect" (which is never 100% the case) :p

I also learned programming (C++) at school, it's something I always wanted to be able to do and it's a nice change from doing graphics. Already got a list of things to program when I'm done with some graphics! :)

49. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

I'm not sure if I'm more of a programmer of artist. I've always liked to draw and I almost did Graphic Design in college then changed to Information Systems. I enjoy programming alot as well. I took the hardest programming classes in college and was so interested I got A's in both. 3D modeling is a beast of it's own. It would take alot longer to make a 3d game with all original models. I'm glad everything is going well and your game looks really good so far, sometimes I'm really critical of my art sometimes as well. I cant wait to see what you add to your game!

Here is an a small update - New menu!

$Menu.png

It was definitely needed and I finally got around to it. I have been smoothing alot of things out including animations. I'm excited to release my demo hopefully soon.

50. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Quick update! - Fixes

- Changed inventory button to "e" and interaction button to "q".
    - Re-coded the dialogue script to refresh correctly

Polishing
    - Redoing the pixel art on the main character
    - Added pot breaking animations

The dialogue coding was actually harder than I thought it was going to be.

Next is the inventory controls. They could be more user friendly. I want to add gamepad functionality, that will come after the demo most likely.