Search Unity

Null

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JoshPDM, Jan 2, 2014.

1. JoshPDM

JoshPDM

Null null null.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  2. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

I LOVE this!

3. TheRaider

TheRaider

what did you use to make the 8 bit music?

4. Zelpi

Zelpi

Cool! Keep up the good work!

5. mateodon

mateodon

Very awesome, congratulations.

I really hope you plan on keeping the 2D character sprites in a 2.5D world, it gives the game a unique look. Also digging the chiptunes, and it achieved it's goal as I searched for your band, you guys are pretty good.

One critique though, and it's a common one in 2.5D platformers. Differentiate the walkable ground from the unwalkable (foreground from background) I saw a few spots where the player fell through when I was sure he'd land, it's an easy fix that could be as simple as slightly darkening the background texture. Not sure if I'm explaining this well enough, let me know if you want clarification.

6. JoshPDM

JoshPDM

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

TheRaider: Music was made with Plogue Chipsounds (amazing) and Pro Tools.

mateodon: Thanks a lot for the compliments, on all levels! I definitely plan on keeping the 2D sprites as I like how the art style is turning out. I'm hoping to eventually get a dedicated pixel artist or two on board to help with sprite and texture design.

Concerning your critique, you're not the first one to observe that. :) My final screenshot was actually chosen specifically to showcase that phenomenon. Depth perception can be determined by the length of the shadows beneath platforms and observing texture tiling repetition above platforms. Although those clues may not be readily apparent at first, it should be a somewhat quick learning experience for the player. I'm trying to introduce it early as a gameplay mechanic, as later puzzles will rely heavily on depth perception, depth movement, and tricking the player's eyes/brains. :)

7. TheRaider

TheRaider

On the game I was unsure how the character was moving back and forwards on the blocks. I thought he couldn't move back and forward then it appeared once he progress all of sudden he could jump on a block earlier he couldn't.

8. JoshPDM

JoshPDM

TheRaider: The player depth never changes in the video (though the game does have sections where changing the depth is possible). Nothing changes in the video as far as level accessibility goes... the player can always access the same platforms. Maybe you could give me a timecode from the video and I can figure out what you're referring to, because I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

9. Rockman420

Rockman420

Looks great! Though I have to agree with Mateodon. Changing the colors slightly will help differentiate between where you can and can't land. Even if you did that on purpose I'd still change it. Seems like it will just annoy the player.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Differently an interesting game that's for sure.

11. GeneBox

GeneBox

Looks interesting!

12. JoshPDM

JoshPDM

Updated the OP for the first time in over a year! Let me know what you guys think!

13. Razputin

Razputin

I wouldn't steal megamans animations like that. Could get you in trouble but not sure

Artstyle is dope af tho, sort of like Tomba if you've seen that before.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  14. JoshPDM

JoshPDM

The only legal case I've been able to find that's even close (and its a stretch) involves a pixel art version of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue album cover. http://waxy.org/2011/06/kind_of_screwed/

Protected under parody/fair use. It obviously has nothing to do with the Mega Man intellectual property nor does it try to claim any relation. Also if you notice, there are actually very few pixels that even line up the same in my animations, so really the only argument would be for depicting similar poses and having similar proportions.

Also the game is going to be distributed for free.

If you can cite any examples of legal cases involving pixel art that is < 32x32px, I'd be interested in hearing about it. There's really only so many combinations one can make with such a small grid.