Search Unity

Metadata failure after checkout from SVN

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by chufraise, Jan 1, 2014.

1. chufraise

chufraise

Hi all!

First of all I just want to state that this question is a duplicate from Unity Answers. I did not get an answer there so I was adviced to post it on the forums.

I have a serious problem regarding metadata and SVN. Before I initially imported the project into the repo I tried to do everything according to the best practices I found in the docs.

1. Enabled "Visible meta files" in the Edit->Project Settings->Editor prefs.
    2. Closed the Unity editor, just to make sure everything's saved.
    3. Declared some new ignore rules in my svn-client:

Code (csharp):
    2.         $PROJDIR/Temp/
    3.         $PROJDIR/Library/
    4.         $PROJDIR/Obj/
    6.         *.csproj
    7.         *.unityproj
    8.         *.sln
    9.         *.user
    10.         *.userprefs
    11.         *.DS_store
    4. Then I just imported the project into the repo.

I then checked out the project on another computer. The missing Library folder was rebuilt, as expected.

But when that was done and the project was opened, all prefab links was broken. Which means the metadata was got screwed up for some reason. I tried to also check in the Library folder from the first computer, then delete the newly built Library folder on the second computer, and check out the original Library folder on the second computer. That made it work.

Somehow the visible meta files which lies next to all the assets are not working. The metadata in the Library folder is still needed for me, which means that I cannot ignore that folder when importing the project. And this despite the docs saying that you should ignore the Library folder.

I'm using Unity Free 4.3 BTW.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks!

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

3. chufraise

chufraise

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem.

This answer suggests, just like the docs, that the Library should be ignored. And turning on Visible meta files should suffice. There must be something wrong with my setup for some reason. I've tried with several projects, and the same svn import procedure (Turning on visible meta files and then import to svn without the Library folder). Without the original Library folder the project is messed up. Prefabs and scripts not linking.

Other ideas on what could be the problem would be much appreciated!!!

4. chufraise

chufraise

Anyone?

5. siradam

siradam

@chufraise, have you figured out a solution or work around? I am truly stumped. I also tried putting my project in a git repository and getting it from there -- same results.

I am thinking a bug was introduced in Unity 4.3. Or something in the procedure changed that isn't reflected in the documentation. Sure would be nice if someone could shed some light on this...