Search Unity

TGK: TPS Game Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jonkuze, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hi all, most of you may know of my UnityAGK: Action Game Kit! While I do enjoy this Game Kit, and will still continue to Update it over time, I am now moving on to a New Project!

Yes, you read the title correctly...TGK: TPS Game Kit, is a Third Person Shooter Game Kit!

Now, i'm just kicking off this thread with an intro, just informing you all that I have this in the works... It's in early stages of Development so I don't have any Screenshots, or Demos to showcase yet, but I think it's coming along nicely and it's going to be awesome!

What I hope to bring to this TGK: TPS Game Kit is the Following:

• Easy to Use Editing Tools (could be inspector or custom extensions)
    • No Programming Required, all Setup is Done without Programming
    • Smooth Character Movement, Player and Camera Control (referencing Warframe's Player and Camera Controls)
    • Includes Health System for Player and Enemies
    • Includes Stamina System for Player Running Faster
    • Includes Ammo System for Player
    • Include Ammo, Health, and Stamina Pickup Items
    • Basic Player 2D HUD System that Displays Status of Player Health, Stamina, and Ammo of Equipped Gun
    • Combat System Includes Melee Fighting and Shooting
    • Both Players and Enemies can Attack in Close Range or Long Range
    • Include Basic Enemy AI with PathFinding and Obstacle Avoidance (utilizing A*Pathfinding Project )
    • Includes Weapon Pickup and Swap between Melee Weapons and Guns
    • Basic Start Game Sceen and Options
    • 100% Mechanim Support, Includes 20+ Character Animations for Re-targeting

I am aiming to Create one of the Best Unity Game ToolKits on the Asset Store that Provides 100% Support Mechanim Animation System! The Goal is to take the pain out of creating Action Games with Mechanim by providing you we an Awesome Framework that will be easy to use, but yet flexible enough for experienced Developers to add to it easily as well. I look forward to sharing the work in progress with you all, and even more excited about delivering the finished product! So I hope you are too, stay tuned all for more updates! = )

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. sicga123

sicga123

Sounds excellent. I'd buy it. I'll watch this thread carefully. Good news.

3. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks sicga123 for being the first to post and show interest. I'm sure once I get some screenshots, video previews, and demos up things will start to get pretty exciting here. So yes stay tuned, thanks again.

4. dragonstar

dragonstar

what you make available to work on mobile and the ouya:D

5. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

cool :) eager to see what you're going to come up with.

6. jonkuze

jonkuze

No unfortunately Mobile or OUYA Support is NOT planned yet, but probably in the future if it becomes a highly in-demand requested feature.

7. jonkuze

jonkuze

thanks rosor i think you will really appreciate this game kit! = )

8. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

hi Kuroato, what is the main difference between this kit and your current AGK? For me it sounds mostly identical ?!

9. jonkuze

jonkuze

well UnityAGK only offers a Top Down View, and Semi-Third Person View Camera (for best results), and is abit limited to creating a Linear Style Game where you must setup stages to progress from one Stage to the Next, that's abit hard coded into the Game Kit.

while TGK: TPS Game Kit will offer you a full Third Person 360 Degree Camera Control, 20+ Quality Character Animations to Retarget (re-use) on your own Characters thanks to Mechanim, and it will not be hard coded in the way UnityAGK was with the Stage Setups, you'll be free to setup your game's Levels or Stages as you want, or create an Open World style game. Also we using a much better AI and Pathfinding System, so that will allow developers to expand the AI together with a proven Path-finding System "A*Pathfinding Project"

check out this video at around 4:00, this is the kind of quality third person game mechanics we are aiming for:

http://youtu.be/zl5jWEvrLsU?t=4m

10. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Sir, that sounds awesome :D Cant wait to purchase it

11. Archania

Archania

Sounds very interesting. Will be watching what you come up with in terms of targeting and shooting.

12. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks guys, it should be Good! = )

I think I may be able to release the 20+ Character Mechanism Animations first as a Separate Asset on the Asset Store for now... it should showcase abit of the quality of this Asset I think. I'll keep you all posted on the Latest!

13. im

im

sounds very interesting, any timeframe, eta

any idea of what price range

but what happens if we already have license to "A*Pathfinding Project"

aslo do customers of UnityAGK have an upgrade path...

14. jonkuze

jonkuze

- price will probably be $50.00

- if you have a license for A* Pathfinding that's OK that means you'll be able to develop (expand) the Pathfinding more for your own custom needs... We are using the FREE version of A*Pathfinding Project so you will not be paying extra for it.

- NO this is a totally different Project, UnityAGK is not related to this Project at all... two totally separate Assets, they won't be compatible with each other.

15. im

im

ok cool thanks. i'll keep an eye out for it!

16. Jianan-Xiao

Jianan-Xiao

Hope it can support Mobile.

17. jonkuze

jonkuze

Why don't people want to make PC Game anymore lol! or maybe a Browser Game lol! Well... Jianan Xiao, currently there will be no mobile support on release, but possibly in a future update.

18. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Good question. I hate mobile games. I have 3 smartphones but I think its sucks to play on them. Power is sucked up fast, its small and touchscreen is horrible as controller. Most ppl make mobile games because they think they can make a fortune with it selling in App Store but now soooo many games are there, chances are low to create a bestseller imho.

19. jonkuze

jonkuze

yea, i agree with you Devision4, but hey who knows who the lucky person will be huh... gotta be in it to win it lol!

anyhow, i think i may possibly be able to add support for Mobile easily with the help of another Unity Asset called "Control Freak" https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11562

I plan to use this to plugin to my other Game Kit Asset "UnityAGK" , so it works as well as i'm expecting it to, then i may extend the use of it into UniTPS! = ) So no worries... we'll figure it out if there is a high demand for Mobile.

20. rickcollette

rickcollette

Several reasons; Chinese investment groups are re-investing in mobile indie shops, CES this year was mobile focused, and articles like these are saying the desktop trend is finally, after nearly 40 years, over: http://blog.creamglobal.com/right_b...01/top-7-consumer-mobile-trends-for-2014.html

Desktop is the radio. It isn't completely gone, it's just changing.. our new desktops are our phones and tablets. When things like glass become more affordable, and thus widespread, your desktop will be any surface you look at, including the sky.

For me, I don't see many windows systems in my part of the world, so its weird to hear "PC" - I think they exist outside of where I am, otherwise I wouldn't hear about them all the time.. it's all mac and mobile here.. and typically, when silicon valley adapts a trend, it becomes more widespread within the next 5 years, or dies on the vine.

*shrug*

21. Ocid

Ocid

Funny when PC/desktop is growing bigger and bigger each year. Your own experiences aren't the best way to pass judgement on anything.

Anyway if you can hit the quality of Warframe I'll be really interested in picking this up. For the animations and possibly model quality alone.

22. rickcollette

rickcollette

I'd love to see those metrics.
    http://marketingland.com/report-nearly-40-percent-of-internet-time-now-on-mobile-devices-34639
    http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile...keting-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics/
    are just two places.. plus what Stanford is teaching currently...

23. jonkuze

jonkuze

I know that Mobile is on the Rise big time, and i'm sure there is tons of data to prove this... while there is rise in internet traffic on Mobile, high demand for Mobile Apps, that doesn't mean the Desktop PC, Macs or Laptops will Die anytime in the near future.

Does anyone really think Mobile will replace a Desktop Computers? There is still a need for Desktop Computers, and lets be real we can hold on to a Desktop Computer for about 5 Years before Buying a New one. So really there is no need to buy a New Desktop Computer every Year when you can keep Upgrading it slightly to Perform Better, use it for what you need it for, then switch to Mobile for the Rest of your Day while you're on the Go. The Lack of Sales of Desktops or Laptops in comparison to Mobile Devices also makes it seem like Mobile will be the New Desktop, but that's not very realistic...

There is still alot we can do, and still do on Desktop that we don't do on Mobile and probably will never do on Mobile Devices. Example, Most people will still continue to Use Desktop Computers for Software Development, Music and Video Editing, Playing Hardcore or Graphic Intensive Games, Printing, Graphic Design, Web Design, Word Processing, the List Goes On.

What we may see happening is exactly what the Data Shows, More Internet Traffic on Mobile Devices, and alot of Gaming on Mobile Devices because it's easily Accessible Everywhere, Anywhere, Anytime... so that makes sense... But Mobile will not be replacing Desktops anytime soon, and probably never will.

Although Mobile Technlogy is getting better year after year, it still can't replace the Processing Power and Capabilities of a Computer which alot of Specific Applications Require that probably won't Run on Mobile ever... if so probably never nearly as Optimized or as Good as it would run on a Desktop Computer.

Anyhow, I love how my thread turned into a small debate about Mobile vs Desktops LOL!!

@Ocid I will be doing my best to aim for Warframe Quality, although im not working off a Million Dollar Budget here like Warframe developers are im sure lol! so that may not be 100% possible, but that's what i'd like to aim for with the best of my ability and resources.

NOTE: when i meant Quality, I wasn't talking about the Character Design and Model Quality, I'm talking about the Game Mechanics like Camera Control, and Combat System.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  24. Ocid

Ocid

I'm too lazy right now to dig up any articles arrested but if mobile was taking over then why desktop revenue for software increasing year over year?

Kuroato is right though of course mobile internet usage is on the increase. You've got a device in your pocket that can access the internet anytime you want. Taking a S*** - go on facebook/twitter/play a game, waiting on the kettle boiling/at the pub/on a break/waiting in a queue? - go on facebook/twitter/play a game etc. It isn't replacing desktop usage its supplementing it.

As also pointed out I'm not buying a new desktop every year/2 years. I'm incrementally upgrading it. Last desktop lasted 6 years and only thing I replaced was graphics card. Still outperformed consoles and mobile. Kuroato also pointed out what you can't do on a mobile device that you can do on a desktop. That stuff would be so painful to do on a mobile device.

Just looking at from a gaming standpoint are you really going to want to play starcraft or planetside 2 or counter-strike (list goes on) on a touch screen? No. Lack of good input and imprecise controls.

Ah right gotcha. Think i misinterpreted what you were getting at. Makes sense now. Still even if there's not that kind of animation even getting that kind of quality for camera control and combat should still be something plenty of people would want and could learn from.

25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Wonder how many of us are developing for unity using our tablets or phones... :)

Been doing some research... 2014 total app (mobile and tablet) revenue expected to be 35b across all app stores.

50% of consumer time spent in games, 80% of consumer revenue in games, $26b expected to be spent in games in 2014. The dominant business model is fremium.

Interestingly, the average developer revenue is around $1500 / month. As one app in a million how do you do something that stands out from the rest - to me that says more about inability of developers to market and monetise than lack of a market.

The press seems to love to slam windows, but its massively dominant, and unlike my mac, can function both as a workstation and a tablet. I use it in tablet mode to play, and in workstation / desktop mode to work. My kids love their surface pro's, and the gaming on it is sweet. That said you need the right hardware for windows to shine.

Personally I don't play games on my mobile - its too small - but on tablet, which is your ipad / surface device it rocks and x-platform delivery on tablets is where we should be focussing imho. Tablets are still graphically constrained so every bit of performance counts.

Desktop isn't going away any time soon either.

26. neopan

neopan

i started working on my mmo as a non game devoping app developer... i got bored of banking systems... in 1999... now i think im ready to begin the profuction part/phase [lol] ... im leaning towards ulink for networking unless somebody surprises me.. iw ant scalability.. and i figured jus throw it around a framework.. i like dungeon breaker but i need guns.. lots of guns.. so i hope you make as detailed as you can

for pathfininding and ai i am using RAIN.. i hope it can be swapped out easily with a*?

any hints or tips you have for what systems.. please let me know

27. StarAbove

StarAbove

Just curious. Are you still working on this project?

28. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

This looks really interesting and I'll probably pick it up when done.

I would suggest you look into having an NGUI UI package as an option. That way, we could choose to either use Unity GUI or NGUI. I personally hate coding GUI's so I'd love it if this was taken care of for me. However, I'm not a fan of Unity GUI ... much prefer working with NGUI.

29. Treasureman

Treasureman

Hey, I just have one question. I'm going to publish to PSN with help from Respawn Entertainment and I was wondering if I could use you kit in the published product? I have no problem putting your name or username in the credits. I'm sorry I can't pay you but I don't trust people on the Internet (I was raised way too well).

30. jonkuze

jonkuze

If you are referring to the current Action Game Kit v1.3 Thread found here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/202654-UnityAGK-Action-Game-Kit-v1-0

then yes ofcoarse you can use it to publish your game to any platform you like... no limit or royalties needed... but royalties does sound nice haha! but chances are the Asset Store would not exist if everyone had to pay royalties for using the Assets off the Asset Store... so you are in luck! Publish to any platform you like! = )

31. JouTaino45

JouTaino45

Is this Third Person Shooter Game Kit still on the development phase or is the kit dead? :(.

32. jonkuze

jonkuze

Actually yes, only I am keeping the name of Action Game Kit in accord with my current game kit found here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/agk-action-game-kit-v1-3.202654/

It will be called Action Game Kit (v2.0) so look out for updates.

JouTaino45 likes this.
  33. JouTaino45

JouTaino45

Awesome, will definitely keep an eye out for it.

jonkuze likes this.