Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hierarchy2 for Unity3d

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by thienhaflash, Dec 29, 2013.

1. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hierarchy2 is a powerful extension to add the most demanding features to Hierarchy panel packed in a single, lightweight, concise and commented C# source code that fully integrated into Unity Editor.

Website / FAQ / Bug report / WIP thread / What's New, Tutorial, and Help

Things was going since my last update, check out the release forum post for more information, I'm trying to clean up this thread and provide only works that are in progress for upcomming releases

NEW Features in v1.3

Traverse to Parent and Back (shortcuts set to left and right square brackets [ ])

Look through this Camera

Capture SceneView Camera

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. LightSource

LightSource

Very interested, I would love to try it.

3. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello LightSource, thanks for your interest, I've sent you a PM with the beta version. Check it out ! :)

4. LightSource

LightSource

I will try it as soon as lenovo gives me my computer back (sheepish grin). I didn't realize you would acually give me a beta, sorry on my part. Any chance of you putting it on the asset store?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  5. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I already put a package in the assetstore but it's under reviewing, it will normally takes 3 or more days to complete.

6. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

7. LightSource

LightSource

Excellent, congratulations! I just got my computer back, so I can finally try this out.

8. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

An update (v1.1.0) is on the way (still in Asset Store processing queue) adding several more interesting features. In the mean time you can check out the Change Log / Tutorial / Help on product's website Hierarchy2 ( You definitely must have a look, I put a lot of effort for this Tutorial / Documentation thing :D )

Another update is in progress, too. Adding even more interesting feature requested around the world :D

9. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I'm super excited to announce that Isolate modes is now supported in Hierarchy2, here is a quick demonstration. It will still takes several more days to clean up the documentation and the update to be available on AssetStore

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  10. landon912

landon912

Looks cool!

I think think one button under Isolate should be "Reset" or "None". It seems a bit unintuitive to have to click the search clear.

11. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

thanks landon91235 :)

It's funny, as intitally I put it under Isolate / Reset but later on found that it might be cost a few clicks just to clear so try to simulate the search funtion by adding the text and the close button. Maybe I should add it back in next version :)

12. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

13. landon912

landon912

Good point. Not sure what you should do now.

My main problem is that it's not clear on how to reset the "Isolate" command. I could see many people searching around for that button, when it's hidden in plain sight.

Maybe a dedicated "Reset" button someone within the editor instead of the menus?

14. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks Landon, I will think about it.

15. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

And finally version 1.2.0 is LIVE with Isolate mode support ! Anyone has any suggestions you would like to be in the next version ?

16. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Got first comment and 5 star today on Asset Store, thanks Jess :)

btw, version 1.3 is on the way with some more interesting features, still have some road blockers to solve before putting it onto the store but I'm trying my best.

And special thanks to our customers for supporting it :)

17. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

One of the upcomming v1.3 features

Traverse to Parent and Back (shortcuts set to left and right square brackets [ ])

18. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Heard about this from Flipbookee. This looks really useful :) will be checking it out.

Is it possible to filter/isolate game objects that have a particular monobehavior script?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  19. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

There are several more isolate modes I planed to add on the next version 1.3, and this one will be in of course. Actually I can add isolation by an arbitrary criteria, so if there are any isolate modes you want to have, just raise your voice here !

btw, thanks Flipbookee for the great work !

20. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Funny, It's actually implemented in v1.2 but I forgot that it was, the Filter Script is what you've requested. Here is a quick demonstration

21. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Two new features (for Camera only)

Look through this Camera

Capture SceneView Camera

22. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Cool! :cool: Also want to give you special thanks for providing the source code - I hate it when devs do that then stop supporting the project and disappear, never to return again.

Request: Expand all game objects / collapse all game objects under the selected game object :D

Request: Disallow moving a game object to a different area of the hierarchy if it's locked.

Request: When filtering for a named script, don't require full path. (e.g. for me to filter GameData, I need to have the full path "Scripts/Data/GameData.cs" instead of just "GameData.cs")

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Isn't that already in Unity? Alt+expand/collapse arrow on Windows, I think. I'm not sure what's that on OS X.

24. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks Flipbookee for your help :) Alt-Click the arrows is one of the rarely known shortcut. Actually I planed on doing expand all / collapse all before, then discover that it's already in Unity so didn't do that :). Anyway, I put a link to the HotKeys so everyone can have a look http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/08/24/unity-hotkeys-keyboard-shortcuts-in-unity/

Thanks Nezabyte for this suggestion, this will be in for v1.3, have just done it.

I'm not really sure if I could change that but I will definitely have a look, this is a very nice idea I haven't think of before.

25. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Weird, I must be missing it. I've looked up and down the hotkey sheet multiple times and must be missing it. Could one of you circle it on the image? lol sorry, I must be blind here.

26. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Absolutely, man. I've thought much about it, even I myself could easily forgot that it was implemented, how can I blame on anyone else ? I will regroup, changing the names or so to make it more intuitive for everyone, and, of course, update the helps with circles.

I've found another way to do this, not exactly the same way you requested but at least, you dont' need to type full path in. This feature still takes much more time to complete so I just to inform you that I'm working on it and no worry, it's all now technically doable !

This new feature will be comming in v1.4 for sure, but if things gone well, it can even find itself into v1.3

I will try to make some screenshot asap (before v1.3 is upload to store on March 1st)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  27. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Just a quick update to tell that version 1.3 is still on the way to Asset Store, trying to finish the document things before pushing it live ...
    A bit late than expected, but anyway, it's comming
    :smile:

Some screenshots for up comming features / changes :smile: Mainly reorganize the context menu and adding shortcuts.

Though these shortcuts was carefully selected, any suggestion would be more than welcome !

28. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

29. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Hi thienhaflash, I purchased this plugin, it's very helpful.

However, when I updated my version, my only complaint is that the time it takes to import the images in the documentation is too long.

They take quite a long time to import, as my default import settings seem to compress them (in ETC 4 bits, since I'm in an Android build).

It's not like I'm going to use these images in my game, after all, they are documentation.

It would be nice to have all of those put inside a PDF file, or zipped, or something else, as long as Unity doesn't spend needless time importing those images.

But I still want to have a copy of them since I'll be looking at them, hence, I wouldn't want to just uncheck them upon importing of the plugin.

EDIT: I realized the previous version made use of a PDF file for the docs. Any reason why the documentation images aren't in a pdf anymore?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  30. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Hi another thing: this looks like a bug: I can't drag around my game objects via the hierarchy window anymore. If I delete the Hierarchy2 plugin from my assets folder, close and re-open my project, it works fine again.

31. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello AnomalusUndrdog,

Firstly, thanks for supporting me by buying Hierarchy2. For your questions :
    Actually after submit to the store, I found it's troublesome, too. Initally thought was png images may serve people better as they can browse in windows explorer and have a look. I will work on a PDF documentation thing asap and also a zip contains all PNG files then issue a minor update, maybe 1.3.1 :)

I've just had a look, seems that it's working fine. Is your gameObject being lock ? In this new version Locked GameObjects can not be move around, so make sure your Object does not being locked. If It's not locked and you still can not move it around, please tell me.

Update : I got the bug my side now, fixing and will be upload together with the new PDF documentation in several hours. Stay tune ! Big thanks to AnomalusUndrdog.

thanks AnomalusUndrdog again for reporting the problems, It's very very valuable to me.
    I will update this thread again after submiting the fix to the asset store.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  32. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Definitely a bug, and it's been fixed, I already issue the update to the AssetStore, so a small update, v1.3.1 is coming !

​Thanks AnomalusUndrdog again :)

33. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Just a kindly remind that if you have purchase the package, you can always PM me the invoice number to get the lastest version without waiting for Asset Store to approve for every update.

I did ask the reviewers to put me on instant- update mode. Still not got any response from them so this package might need several days more to be visible in the store.

34. georetro

georetro

This looks really good. I really like your work :) Good luck for the future :D

35. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks georetro :) I'm happy you like it :)

36. vidjo

vidjo

Hey guys, I'm not affiliated with Thien at all other than being another happy customer. But if you like his product, remember to rate and leave a review. This will get him more sales and help him continue to make amazing products for us to enjoy!

37. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

thanks a lot vidjo :)

yes, everyone, if you have bought Hierarchy2 please kindly write some review and rate it so it will help other people determine if the asset is good enough to buy.

btw, Hierarchy2 v1.3.1 is already up a mainternance build so make sure that you are updated .

thanks.

38. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Just FYI, there is another update, v1.3.2, on the way fixing some unexpected behaviours :) as suggested by Jerotas.

39. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hot news for today, Hierarchy2 was picked to be on 24-hours deal for today (April 15). Graps it while it still hot everyone :) Thanks a lot for your supported :)

40. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Hi!
    I've just purchased Hierarchy2 and for some reason Ctrl+Clicking the lock icon doesn't affect children. Ctrl+Clicking the eye icon works fine.

P.S. It would probably also be nice to add the locking options to the context menu when right-clicking the lock icon so it is consistent with the eye icon. Right now there's only the "recursive lock/unlock" option.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  41. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello Devil_Inside,

Firstly thanks for supporting me by buying Hierarchy2. The lock icon works a little different than the eye icons, actually most of the time, when you lock a parent GameObject, you wanted it to lock the children as well, because of this, I've made lock children to be default behaviour, that means when you click lock icon, children GameOjbects are also locked. To prevent this, hold down Ctrl (as you can see, Ctrl will affect lock of that child GameObject only.

Thing is a bit reverse when you are trying to unlock a GameObject, most of the time when you click to unlock you only want to unlock that GameObject, so it's default behaviour to have only that GameObject unlocked. If you want to unlock children as well hold down Ctrl.

Thanks. Hope this help !

42. pondybala

pondybala

Hi Thien, Cool extension, Worked once, then broke. I checked to see the compiler error, don't know if you uploaded a breaking change in the last 3 hours. The errors I am getting are mainly for:

Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(251,22): error CS1501: No overload for method `Add' takes `3' arguments

I checked the .cs file and there are two functions neither of which allow for just two parameters.
    1. Add(this GenericMenu menu, string text, Action func, bool selected = false)
    2. Add(this GenericMenu menu, bool has, string text1, string text2, Action<bool> func)

A typical point of call is this: menu.Add("New Empty Sibling", () => Hierarchy2Api.CreateEmptySibling(go));

Other errors are:

Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(402,25): error CS1660: Cannot convert `lambda expression' to non-delegate type `Action'
    Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(382,63): error CS0119: Expression denotes a `variable', where a `method group' was expected
    etc.

43. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Well, seems like that's not the case on my end.
    Locking the parent doesn't lock the children. And Ctrl+Clicking seems to not work as intended. It behaves as if I was Ctrl+Clicking the object itself - it selects or deselects that object.

44. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@pondybala :

Absolutely no, my update package v1.3.2 is still in the queue and not yet available. I will contact unity to see if they are changing anything. Can you pm me the Hierarchy version you have right now so I can perform a diff check ?

In the mean time can you help by create an empty project and import Hierarchy2 to see if it works ? Also please give me some more information about what is your Unity version ? are you on a Mac or PC ...

If it's working fine in an empty project, then it must be conflicting with other plugins, so can you tell me the plugins you have in that project so I can check ?

@Devil_Inside :
    For my last test in v1.3.2 it's working right, maybe in v1.3.1 it still has some bug. So please wait a bit, the update is still in the queue.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  45. Crystalline

Crystalline

Look through this camera is excelent!!
    Great work really!

46. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks a lot, Crystalline :)

47. pondybala

pondybala

Thanks for getting back Thien. I am on Windows 8 , Unity Pro (Windows ver) 4.3.4f1. The C# file version reads in the header: 1.3.0

So it works with an empty project. And it did work initially with my project like I said. I am PMing the assets list to you.

48. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@pondybala : I don't have windows 8 to test it out, but anyway, please send me the image again, the last time you send me is a link to your local image (C:\User\...) so I can't see anything :)

49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@pondybala Those errors might be coming because there's a type called Action in the global namespace somewhere in your project. This is making the compiler think the Action parameter refers to that type instead of System.Action which is the correct type.

I don't have access to the code, but I think adding this line at the beginning of the script will help:
    Code (csharp):
    1. using Action = System.Action;

50. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Oup, You are excellent Flipbookee :)