Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hierarchy2 for Unity3d

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by thienhaflash, Dec 29, 2013.

1. rogueNoodle

rogueNoodle

Hey Thien - really like the potential of this extension, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly for me. I created a new project, added a cube and imported the extension. With the cube selected, right-clicking brings up the correct context menu but the "Edit", "Isolate", and "Create" submenus are disabled:

$heirarchy2.jpg

This is in Unity 4.3.3f1, running on Mac OS X 10.8.5.

It might be that I'm just missing something - any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Chris

2. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello rogueNoodle,

Firstly thanks for supporting me by purchase the package, I will have a look to see if there are any problem with unity 4.3.3 on Mac 10.8.5 or not, normally I don't do anything specific bind to windows platform but I will check it. Thanks for reporting, man.

3. pondybala

pondybala

Thanks much Flipbookee - nice catch. I was focused on the more common signature mismatch error that I missed the Action namespace collision. (Haven't used that delegate before - C++ in the longer former life). It still complained after said using: Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(2253,96): error CS0576: Namespace `global::' contains a definition with same name as alias `Action'

Changing instead (F2 refactoring) to using ActionH = System.Action; fixed that. So thanks for pointing that one out - sorted out the rest of the errors as well.

4. pondybala

pondybala

Aye - was wondering how to attach a local file - thought it would pick it up on sending. First message out - lucky you :p Anyways problem fixed and gratz on a cool extension.

5. woulverene

woulverene

I Would Love to try this version could you please send the link

6. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@rogueNoodle :

I figured out that it's a problem with Mac Editor, ContextMenu won't work exactly like Windows. I have a small fix, will send you a minor fix for that in PM. Sorry for this inconvenient, I don't own a Mac so can't test it thoroughly.

@pondybala : I'm happy it's finally work correctly for you. Hope you like it.

@woulverene : Currently I don't have a beta access for Hierarchy2 because it's already online but if you really want to try it out, please send me a pm, I will send it to you.

BTW, Hierarchy2 version 1.3.2 is online right now, go and grasp it everyone !!!

Thanks a lot.

7. rogueNoodle

rogueNoodle

@thienhaflash - Thanks, and yeah, sort of figured it was a Mac thing. Looking forward to the fix. My current workaround is to remove the sub-menus from the script, and keep all options at top-level. It works, but it's obviously less organized.

8. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

1.3.2 fixed the locking issues I had.
    Thanks!

9. Demigiant

Demigiant

I bow to the usefulness and beauty of Hierarchy2 :)

In case you're looking for suggestions about stuff to implement, I would reeeeally love to have a way to set a background color for objects inside the Hierarchy panel. I tried to implement that myself, but decided it was too much of a pain in the ass for now (considering the data that would need to be stored scene-wise, the undo management, and the fact that Unity Editor doesn't seem to have a way to tell you a useful type of event in connection with the Hierarchy Window callbacks) :p

10. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@rogueNoodle
    It will be comming in next minor update, maybe the up coming v1.3.3

@Devil_Inside
    I'm glad it works for you :)

Hello lzitmee, thanks a lot for your words and your feedback. For your request

I think it would be possible, not something technically hard. Currently the easiest way is doing like what FavoriteTab is doing, save all information into an Editor-only GameObject that have zero effects at runtime. There are several request for this already so I think it's time to work on it. So to confirm, this feature will be in for v1.5 or even v1.4 if things went well.

Thanks a lot lzitmee, your feedback is absolutely valuable to me :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Didn't think about the editor-only GameObject: definitely seems the way to go. Very happy that you'll implement that option :) Cheers!

12. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today Hierarchy2 v1.3.3 is on the way to the AssetStore adding some more minor fixes, featuring :

- Newly created GameObjects is now has the same layer as its parent (likely what most people expected)

- Allow rename locked GameObjects : When I used Hierarchy2 in my projects, I found it's quite troublesome to unlock, rename then lock the gameObject again, so I implement this. If you don't want to have this feature, you can turn it off by openning Hiearchy2.cs and change the variable AllowRenameLockedGO from true to false.

- Adjustable icons offset to prevent icons overlaps when using Hierarchy2 together with PlayMaker or DaikonForge. It's still not intelligent enough to detect other libraries' icons so you need to change it manually (Open Hiearchy2.cs and change the variable named IconsOffset to some value like 25f instead of the default 0f). It's not technical limitation or something can not achieve, just I don't have enough time to do the detection, so it will come in future updates, maybe Hierarchy2 v1.4

- Ignore scripts in specific folders when using Hierarchy2 with other plugins I see that most of the time, all GameObjects marked as green for has some scripts attached, this is not what I wanted, I wanted it to only show green only for scripts created by me so I add the ignore folders (can only adjust from editing Hierarchy2.cs ), right now, the scripts by NGUI, Daikon Forge, PlayMaker, iTween, 2D Toolkit, FlipbookGames and scripts from .dll won't be green anymore. This provide the cleaner look to the Hierarchy. You can change (add / remove) ignored folder / filename pattern by modify the variable IgnoreScriptPaths

- Fix the context menu for Mac

Thanks, and please do tell me if there are any changes against you.

13. wightwhale

wightwhale

Hi I'm new to the plugin and I was wondering if there's any way to make an object unselectable in the scene view. For instance my game uses background level images and I can click on them instead of the interactive items within the level. I was hoping the lock button would have this functionality but it doesn't seem to prevent me from selecting the game object.

14. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello wightwhale,

I found it frustrating to have locked object being selectable, too. Still looking around for a solution but not yet found it. I will definitely add this feature if I can find a way to do so.

@everyone : if anyone have some idea or suggestion on how this could be done please tell me, I'm on all of my ears.

Thanks a lot.

15. wightwhale

wightwhale

16. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@wightwhale : Unfortunately, HideInHierarchy will make it disappear from the Hierarchy and you have no chance to unlock it :(

Actually I did use HideInHierarchy alreadyin Hierarchy2, when you click on the number of children to enable combine mode (hide children), what I actually do is go through each child and set its HideInHierarchy flag, the code is exactly the same with the snippet you post above.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion :) I appreciated that :)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  17. wightwhale

wightwhale

So did you see how he was preventing selection if it was the hide in hierarchy? I haven't had enough time to give it a full look at.

18. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello wightwhale,

I didn't read the thread when you suggested, I thought that it's not working only by looking at the code you paste, my bad.

I've had a look again into the source of the lock utility and apply the fix. The locked GameObjects from now on should not be selectable from SceneView by left-clicked, still selectable by rectangle select or click on Hierarchy, just as in the original Lock utility.

Thanks a lot for the original author nickgravelyn and thanks a lot wightwhale for your help. I've issued another update for Hierarchy v1.3.6, It should be availabe in some more days.

Thanks again, wightwhale, your suggestion is excellent !!!

19. vidjo

vidjo

Hello Thien! Can you please fill in the field responsible for adding the relese notes to the asset store when you update? It makes it much easier for users :)

$Capture.PNG

20. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@vidjo : Oup, I didn't see where to fill that infomation, I will check again before issueing next update, thanks a lot vidjo. I did include a short message telling what's change to the reviewer everytime I update, though. I will also fill in the release note in next update.

Thanks again, man :)

21. Saxi

Saxi

I purchased this asset recently but it kills my computer. I've never seen an asset do this before, but whenever I import the asset I can no longer left/right click my mouse on things. Inside Unity works fine, but everything else is broken. I try to click Chrome, I can't even select the window, I can't select the address bar. I delete the folder for the plugin, and everything goes back to normal.

Windows 8.1 x64 Pro
    Quad 4.5Ghz
    32GB Ram
    SSD Drives
    Unity 4.3.4f1

22. wightwhale

wightwhale

I'm hitting an error with the newest update.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    vietlabs.GameObjectUtils.SetFlag (UnityEngine.Object go, HideFlags flag, Boolean value) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:1921)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Api+<SetLock>c__AnonStorey4B.<>m__103 (UnityEngine.GameObject child) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:1183)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Utils+<ForeachChild>c__AnonStorey49.<>m__FF (UnityEngine.Transform t) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:924)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Utils.ForeachChild[Transform] (UnityEngine.Transform p, System.Func`2 action, Boolean deep) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:915)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Utils.ForeachChild[Transform] (UnityEngine.Transform p, System.Func`2 action, Boolean deep) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:912)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Utils.ForeachChild[Transform] (UnityEngine.Transform p, System.Func`2 action, Boolean deep) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:912)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Utils.ForeachChild (UnityEngine.GameObject go, System.Action`1 action, Boolean deep) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:923)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Api.SetLock (UnityEngine.GameObject go, Boolean value, Boolean deep, System.String undoKey) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:1178)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Api+<SetSmartLock>c__AnonStorey4C.<>m__104 (UnityEngine.GameObject item, Int32 idx) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:1204)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Utils.ForeachSelected (UnityEngine.GameObject go, System.Action`2 func) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:899)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2Api.SetSmartLock (UnityEngine.GameObject go, Boolean invertMe, Boolean smartInvert) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:1204)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2.EditLock (Rect r, UnityEngine.GameObject go) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:408)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2.HierarchyItemCB (Int32 instanceID, Rect selectionRect) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:590)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Delegate.cs:443)
    System.MulticastDelegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MulticastDelegate.cs:71)
    System.Delegate.DynamicInvoke (System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Delegate.cs:415)
    FavoritesTab+TreeViewTracker.HierarchyItemOnGuiCallback (Int32 item, Rect selectionRect) (at Assets/FlipbookGames/FavoritesTab/Editor/Scripts/FavoritesTab.cs:1486)
    UnityEditor.BaseProjectWindow.HierarchyView () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/ProjectWindow/ProjectWindow.cs:879)
    UnityEditor.BaseProjectWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/ProjectWindow/ProjectWindow.cs:465)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

23. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello Saxi, firstly thanks for supporting me by buying the package, looks like you catched a bug. I will fix it asap and issue an update. I'm really sorry for this incovenience.

@wightwhale Seems to be another bug, I'm checking. Thanks a lot for reporting this. man.

24. Saxi

Saxi

have you been able to identify or duplicate it?

25. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Sadly I can't reproduce the problem here but I've got report by my company fellow, too. I believe it must have something to do with focus handling, I applied some fixes regarding that, can not quite 100% sure about it as the problem seems to be only appear at some random point when we edit the project for long enough.

I will handling the fix to my company fellow to test it out for today. If the problem does not re-appear, I will submit an update, calling it's a fix. If you are willing to help, I can send you the newest package so you can see if it's working correctly or not.

Thanks a lot for reporting this, Saxi !!!

26. Saxi

Saxi

Sure, I can test it. Just send the details via PM if you like.

27. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Saxi : email sent :)

28. schmosef

schmosef

Hierarchy2 isn't working in Unity 4.5 for me.

Anyone else have this problem or is it just me? If so I'll submit a proper bug report.

29. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello schmosef,

Thanks for reporting this. I'm working on a fix for Hierarchy2 and it should be available next week. My bad, I should have test it with the beta version. The problem is it's under heavy reconstruction for v1.4 so I didn't have time to do that.

So, thanks everyone and sorry for this inconvenience.

30. mathias234

mathias234

Yes there is not searchfilter just remove everything with searchfilter in the code and you'll be okay i think until he gets to it

31. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Request: Keyboard shortcut to lock inspector (like clicking on the lock button in the upper-right corner of the inspector).

32. Etrain

Etrain

A bug i've run into is that in 4.5, with the hierarchy being made transform sorted, the hierarchy2 window (which seems to override the basic hierarchy) doesn't it. after commenting out references to searchfilter, and making an alphanumericsort script, I have noticed that a new hierachy2 window appears.

$example1.PNG

as you can see, two hierarchy windows now open . when you close the one on the right, it automatically reopens itself (the one without the multiple sort mode options), the one on the left however will close and stay closed as expected. Instead of posting code, the describe what i did inside the H2 class, is comment out all likes referencing the sf var, and the editor script i created was off the base hierarchy sort page

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  33. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Nezabyte : Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I will try to implement it in v1.4

@Etrain : Yep, there seems to be duplicated windows but what's really behind the scene is Unity 4.5 used a different type of HierarchyWindow (which is named SceneHierarchyWindow, btw). So you will now have 2 types of HierarchyWindow. The one open when you interact is the old HierarchyWindow.

What I can say right now is that the new SceneHierarchyWindow is a completely differerent beast (that co-exist with the old one) and I can not yet find a way to make Isolating works for this new beast. Maybe I will have an update for 4.5 that comes without Isolating, then will issue another update if I can find a way to make it works. At least, It will not completely broken like this.

I'm sorry for this inconveniences, but as Hierarchy2 used several internal APIs it's very easy to break. I will do my best to make it works again. Any ideas, suggestions are more than welcome as usual.

Thanks a lot everyone.

34. mdrotar

mdrotar

That would be great. I'd appreciate being able to use the other features, at least. Any idea how soon that could happen?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  35. tarzmedia

tarzmedia

great script. waiting a fix for unity 4.5.
    cant sleep nowadays.
    thank you.

36. tarzmedia

tarzmedia

somesays the removed API functions that is used in hierarchy2, will be back with unity 4.6 but not for 4.5.
    did you notice it ?

37. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@mdrotar : It supposed to be uploaded to the Asset Store today. Some more testing required before release ... I can send you the beta version if you wanted.

@tarzmedia
    I didn't notice that, can you share the link ? But I will test Hierarchy2 with 4.6 beta as well for sure

38. mdrotar

mdrotar

Sure, I'll give the beta version a try.

39. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Some more fixes for the bugs reported by our beloved beta users before pushing to the AssetStore. Not much changes compared to Hierarchy2 v1.3.7 but support for Unity 4.5

Isolate thing still not fully working yet, but seems that I saw some light at the end of the tunnel :) Still trying to figure it out ...

Thanks a lot everyone, for being so patient with me. This update Hierarchy2 v1.3.8 will also include some small handful features , too.

40. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks for your work to support this great asset.

I miss using Hierarchy2 and I'm glad to know that the update is coming soon.

41. Azaroth

Azaroth

Hello, i import the package but get these errors:

Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(981,27): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SearchFilter' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(983,12): error CS1061: Type `object' does not contain a definition for `ClearSearch' and no extension method `ClearSearch' of type `object' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(984,12): error CS1061: Type `object' does not contain a definition for `referencingInstanceIDs' and no extension method `referencingInstanceIDs' of type `object' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(1005,20): error CS1061: Type `object' does not contain a definition for `ClearSearch' and no extension method `ClearSearch' of type `object' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(1006,20): error CS1061: Type `object' does not contain a definition for `referencingInstanceIDs' and no extension method `referencingInstanceIDs' of type `object' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

42. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Azaroth Hierarchy2 doesn't work with Unity 4.5 (which I suppose you're on). A new update with a bugfix should arrive soon

43. Azaroth

Azaroth

Ok, thank you!

44. dbrian

dbrian

Aw, this is a real bummer. Such a great asset. I have to ditch it for current projects.

45. schmosef

schmosef

There's a beta that's compatible. You can PM @thienhaflash for access to it.

I think he's still working out some issues before submitting to the asset store but it worked for me in my limited testing.

46. dbrian

dbrian

Oh, good news. Thanks schmosef!

47. sledgeman

sledgeman

Wow, thats a hierarchy system, i´ve always dreamed of ! Really fast accessible & it makes every day work super comfortable. Great. Thank you very much for this gem !

48. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

I'm using UVC extension (for version control) which also displays simple status indicators/buttons on the right side of the hierarchy window. Would it conflict with Hierarchy2?

49. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@tosiabunio :
    Currently It only support automatically adjust for DKForge, PlayMaker icons. I will have a look to support UVC extension but in the mean time, there is a variable you can change to offset the Hierarchy2 icons to the left (maybe 20 pixels will works for you). I will happily modify it to make it work for you if you buy it.

Thanks a lot

50. Meceka

Meceka

Hotkeys "A" and "L" are ridiculous, they even work while hitting Ctrl-A to select all hierarchy after searching on textbox, or sometimes they work while typing name of object in hierarchy text box. If it's name has A or L, it blindly disables/enables or locks some objects, and for me it messed up my project until I realised hieararchy2 was causing that.

How can I disable this two hotkeys? And where can I see a list of hotkeys that are bundled with hierarchy2?