Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hierarchy2 for Unity3d

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by thienhaflash, Dec 29, 2013.

1. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello Meceka,

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm checking it right now... btw, can you give me more information on your unity version and OS ?

Thanks.

2. Member123456

Member123456

Did you get the bug report I submitted about the Undo issues?

thienhaflash likes this.
  3. Meceka

Meceka

It's windows 8.1 64 bit, unity 4.5+ always up to date (right now 4.5.5p1)

Repeating my question, how can I disable A and L hotkeys?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    thienhaflash likes this.
  4. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Zionmoose : I got it, checking ... thanks a lot for reporting this, man ...

@Meceka : You can temporarily disable A & L hotkey by opening Hierarchy2.cs, goto line 355, which currently is
    Code (CSharp):
    1. case KeyCode.L:
    2.           go.SetSmartLock(false, false);
    3.           Event.current.Use();
    5.            var oFocus = EditorWindow.focusedWindow;
    6.            vlbEditorWindow.Inspector.Repaint();
    7.            if (EditorWindow.focusedWindow != oFocus && oFocus != null) oFocus.Focus();
    8.       break;
    10.       case KeyCode.A:
    Change it to (Add /* and */ at the begining and the end, correspondingly)

Code (CSharp):
    1. /* case KeyCode.L:
    2.      go.SetSmartLock(false, false);
    3.      Event.current.Use();
    5.      var oFocus = EditorWindow.focusedWindow;
    6.      vlbEditorWindow.Inspector.Repaint();
    7.      if (EditorWindow.focusedWindow != oFocus && oFocus != null) oFocus.Focus();
    8.      break;
    10.      case KeyCode.A: */
    I'm working on a fix and will submit to the assetstore soon.

Sorry everyone for this inconvenience...

Meceka likes this.
  5. Demigiant

Demigiant

@thienhaflash Since you're working on shortcuts, it would be nice if one could simply disable all of them with an editor option :)

thienhaflash likes this.
  6. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@lzitmee : Yeah, that's what I plan to do, trying to find a good way to move all shortcuts to an external text file or something so everyone can change it the way he / she want. Still too early to say anything for sure, but ... that's it

7. Demigiant

Demigiant

If it may be of any help, in one of my internal plugins I have the shortcuts in an external class whose key values are re-written in the file itself each time the shortcuts are changed via an editor window. Works well in order to allow to change or completely disable them.

thienhaflash likes this.
  8. schmosef

schmosef

Dude, you've got bigger problems ;): seems like there are compiler errors with the Unity 5 beta that came out today.

I love using this asset. Hope you are able to resolve the issues soon.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    thienhaflash likes this.
  9. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@lzitmee : You are mention HOTween or DOTween, right ? I would definetely have a look ... btw, great works, man :)
    @schmosef : I know there might be problems with Unity5 and Unity4.6 but at least I will try to provide a working version with simplified features first and gradually update for all features ...

Thanks a lot then :)

10. schmosef

schmosef

I think that's a smart approach.

thienhaflash likes this.
  11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thanks :) And nope I wasn't talking about those, but about an advanced pooling system I made only for internal use and with collaborators. I just wanted to note that sometimes allowing editor scripts to actually change the content of CS files can be an alternate solution to some problems.

thienhaflash likes this.
  12. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Actually I also think about this option but this will require a recompile so maybe it's better to push all options to a text file then reload when there are changes

13. mdrotar

mdrotar

Any updates?

thienhaflash likes this.
  14. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Yes, actually. Besides fixing bugs I'm working on some new cool features.

So updating the new UI with new icons / color tone (from bac9-flcl's suggestion) and other small things like adding icons for static flag, tag, layer, prefab and the new one Parent Connector (You can see the link from the selected GameObject to its parents)

There are now 2 modes that you can switch between them quickly by Shift + MouseWheel Up / Down, compact shows only several essential icons like childCount, visible and script. The other mode contains all available icons (if being enabled in the Reference panel).

You can also toggling Hierarchy2 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+0

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  15. mdrotar

mdrotar

Wow, nice! The new features look great! Thanks for the update.

thienhaflash likes this.
  16. Demigiant

Demigiant

WOhooooo this is so beautiful!!!! :)

thienhaflash likes this.
  17. Demigiant

Demigiant

By the way, what is the static icon for? Looks yummy

thienhaflash likes this.
  18. vidjo

vidjo

Wow this looks fantastic!

thienhaflash likes this.
  19. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks a lot :) This theme is actually come from bac9-flcl's modifications. I tried to make it exactly like his color tone but it's not yet very matched :D sorry bac9-flcl :D trying my best :D

Each gameObject has a static checkbox in the Inspector windows which used to make it static for batching or light baking I guess. Actually the idea come from victor_kallai. Thanks a lot Victor, btw :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  20. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today : Hierarchy2 v1.3.9 is already up. Please remove the old version completely and import this new one :)

Please Note that currently Hierarchy2 has some problem with Undo system, actually come from Unity side I believe. Unity 4.5+ always crash after lock a GameObject then Undo. So as a temporary fix I currently disable Undo for the lock. I did report a bug here (been more than half a month, no response yet). Hopefully it will be fixed soon (or if someone can point me to the right direction assuming I'm wrong on this)

Maybe i should also mention
    I can say I have never got a so much helpful and clear bug report as this one. Thanks a lot for investing so much time in creating the video and reporting it. Sadly I still can not figure out a way to make it works correctly yet. Currently with prefabs, the HideFlag information is not saved, so all locked GameObjects will be unlocked once dragged into Project panel to create a prefab. The same goes for Undoing things, Prefabs does not work very good with Undoing system currently. I'm still looking around for a possible fix but it should be fair to tell you the status on this... Thanks a lot again, man.

21. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

As of now Hierarchy2 is already working kind of OK for Unity 4.3+, maybe it's time to think of What's Next.

I got several cool ideas right now in my head but as some of those are quite easy to be broken on each new Unity updates (like the isolate things), I'd like to have a little survey here to know what are you expecting the most in Hierarchy2 to make sure that I'm not just wasting my time doing things that only one in a million (rephrase, only me) uses ?

So to begin with, I collected the feedback from some of my colleagues
    - Some refuse to use Hierarchy2 at all saying it's just cluttering the Hierarchy panel doing nothing good
    - Some told me that they only need the visible icons, other features are just clumsy, never used
    - Some say that the performance is terrible, it's slowing down their Editor

As I only have several people in the team, that's all about the survey :) A bit sad, but hard is what the bare truth used to be ... But for me, I'm absolutely in love with every features being developed :D

So, what are the most useful features you've ever wanted in Hierarchy2 (To make it easier, I list here all the features currently available) ?
    - The Visible / Active (the eye) icon
    - The Lock
    - The ChildCount (together with Combine children)
    - The Script mark (red for missing, green for Behaviours)
    - The Other icons (prefab, static, layers, tags)
    - The isolate thing
    - The parent indicator (white line on the left)
    - The quick create new GameObjects, Cube, Sprite menu / shortcut (Unity already have their own in 4.6)
    - The Camera Look Through / Capture SceneView
    - The goto parent / child / sibling
    - Other small goodies : break prefab completely, rename Locked Objects, Disallow drag Locked Objects

And which one should I put prioritize on ?
    - Implement new features
    - Improve current features
    - Update the documentation (It's currently from Stone Age, btw :D )
    - Make it more lightweight
    - Fixing the bugs
    - Make colors / icons / shortcut configurable (the reference panel)
    - Adding theme
    - Leave it as-is and create new extensions (maybe Inspector2 ? I did have some cool ideas in my head, then ...)

or do you have any suggestion ? I'm looking forward to hearing your feedbacks :)

In the mean time, An update (v1.3.10) is coming fixing several bugs and making Hierarchy2 compatible with Unity5 !

22. Demigiant

Demigiant

Here comes my votes! :)

Moste useful features (and the only ones I care for :p) in order of importance:
    - The Visible / Active (the eye) icon
    - The Script mark (red for missing, green for Behaviours)
    - The ChildCount
    - The Lock

Which ones should you priorities in order of importance:
    - Fixing the bugs
    - Make it more lightweight

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  23. schmosef

schmosef

My favourite feature is the camera look through / capture scene view. I also really like the child count and the lock.

I think your top priority should be bug fixes and Unity 5 support.

24. mdrotar

mdrotar

The features I find most useful:
    • The Visible / Active (the eye) icon
    • The Script mark (red for missing, green for Behaviours)
    • Isolate. Even though I don't need it very often, it's very nice to have for the times I do need it.
    • I haven't had chance to use them yet, I think the other icons (static, layers, tags) will be very useful.
    Priority: Bug Fixes for 4.6. Unity 5 beta is still changing a lot and it is probably several months away from being officially released. So it'll be like playing wack-a-mole trying to keep Hierarchy2 bug-free with Unity 5 during beta.

25. Meceka

Meceka

Most useful features for me;

* Visible/Active : I wasn't using it earlier, but then I understood that it just enables/disables gameobject. I can recommend to change it's name to Active, and a tick icon could do better.
    * Script mark is great.
    * Chld Count helps a lot.
    * Parent indicator is great too.
    * Shift T and Shift N hotkeys to reset transform and create empty child: I am using it a lot.
    * lock kind of messed up my scene's once because of hotkey bug, I can say I hate it :), a way to disable all lock icons would help me as I am never using them.

Main priority is making it bug free. And please test hierarchy in every new patch release or beta test to make sure it will work fine after unity is updated.

26. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

I bought the extension so time for you to fulfill your promise :)

Also is there a way of hiding hierarchies but only for edit but not play? Or store/retrieve visibility sets? I would like to edit in clean environment but run with all object visible/running.

27. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I'm happy to have your feedbacks, guy. It's absolutely valuable to me, so to sum up :

1. Bug fixes, compatible checks, battle tests Unity 4.3+ and up, especially Unity4.6 and the upcomming Unity5
    2. Improve Performance
    3. Other priorities

The good news is I already working on those two and It's working rather stable my side. Just need some more clean up and upload :)

I'm really sorry for this. I will check this feature more carefully and will contact you for the help to make it work seamlessly. Thanks a lot for telling me about this !

Code (CSharp):
    1. Also is there a way of hiding hierarchies but only for edit but not play? Or store/retrieve visibility sets? I would like to edit in clean environment but run with all object visible/running.
    Currently Hierarchy2 won't automatically show / hide when switching playmode. I don't have a plan to implement it neither, but if you are using the lastest v.1.3.9 you can always use the shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Shift + 0 to toggle Hierarchy2 icons on / off

I will think of it, sounds cool, may become a next killer feature for Hierarchy2, then :)

btw, thanks for supporting me by buying the asset :)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. I bought the extension so time for you to fulfill your promise :)
    I will have a look and contact the author of UVC if needed to make Hierarchy2 work seamlessly with UVC but maybe it will takes some time as it's not in top priorities yet ...

Thanks again, everyone ! Your feedbacks really help ...

28. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@tosiabunio
    I had a look through UVC but seems that it does not work correctly with Unity4.6.1 on my side. I contacted the developer (Kjem) so hopefully we can find a way to make the two works correctly with each other.

Another good news for today, Hierarchy2 is now compatible with MultiScene

29. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

Good to hear that. You could also take a look at the Behavior Designer as well, as your icons conflict with BD icons.

30. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@tosiabunio : I will absolutely have a look at BD :) Thanks for the suggestion (I already contact the developer of Behaviour Designer for the integration )

31. super-cypher

super-cypher

hi

any news when the unity 5 update will come?

thanks

32. Dan2013

Dan2013

@thienhaflash
    @super-cypher
    I just bought this Hierarchy2 and use it with newest Unity (ver 5.1.2).
    It works abnormally, especially when I use the function to sync views of camera and scene editor.
    Thus, Hierarchy2 does not work very well with Unity5 now?

33. zKici

zKici

Nothing works with Unity 5 (on mac)

Author has abandoned this.

34. RupertMcG

RupertMcG

35. mdrotar

mdrotar

36. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

sorry everyone for being so late :( Please pm me for a working beta. I'm still under so much work recently but I will upload something this weekend.