Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

24 Hour Terrain Demo

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 20, 2013.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Here's something Peter and me did in 24 hours.

It's Mount Rainier in Washington extracted with WorldComposer and futher textured and vegetated with TerrainComposer. For the terrain rendering RTPv3 shader is used, and for the vegetation rendering AFS Advanced Foliage Shader is used.

$3.jpg
    Screenshot made by Pete, our current favourite user screenshot.

Have fun and it's 900 square km. There's an easter egg in there, if you are the first to find it and prove it with a screenshot, you can win all the Assets that were used for making this demo. I have to admit that it's almost impossible to find though...But someone found it!

The easter egg has been found by Bocs Congratulation with your prizes!

In the next update we will place a different color egg in another position and then the egg search contest is starting all over again! Now you can still take screenshots to win!

Download the demo

TheSearch v1.1 windows 64 bit.
    TheSearch v1.1 Windows 32 bit.
    TheSearch v1.1 Mac 32 bit.

24 Hour Demo Tutorial document -> A pdf document how Peter and me made the 24 hour demo.

All Assets that were used:
    TerrainComposer
    WorldComposer
    RTPv3
    AFS Advanced Foliage Shader

$Logos.jpg

12 hours of added work for version 1.1, now 36 hours total Peter and me been working on it.

Many improvements map, image fx, vegetation, sound, manual DOF, skybox, sun, save position, save menu, and many minor tweaks...

The graphics are ultra high, you can dial them a lot down with performance options. Keep in mind we are pushing the limits of Unity here...

If you don't find the easter egg, don't worry. You can also participate in the screenshot competition. The 4 best screenshots will get 1 of the mentioned Assets. Post the screenshots here and a highly skilled jury will judge for the best ones :).

We had 3 winners in round 1 version 1.

Controls:
    Left Mouse Button -> Make a screenshot.
    Mouse Scroll Wheel -> Zoom in/out.
    Middle Mouse Button -> Reset Zoom.
    L -> Depth Of Field Lock/Unlock

Tab -> Map.

WASD/Arrows -> Move.
    Left/Right Shift -> Run.
    Space -> Jump.
    M -> Show Setup Menu.
    F -> Show Framerate.

Numpad 8462 -> Move sun.

$TheSearch20.jpg
    View attachment 79828
    $TheSearch95.jpg
    $TheSearch15.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Zottman and mukki014 like this.
  2. sonicviz

sonicviz

$TheSearch4.png

Nice, but after 10 minutes at that pace no way am I exploring 900 kms for a well hidden easter egg no matter how much I want it!

3. eagle555

eagle555

Great screenshot ;). We are still awake after continue through the night to make the demo, we finished at 9 o' clock this morning. Now we are searching for the egg ourselves in the build, we can't sleep as we know were we placed the egg, but can't find it...Enjoy the scenery! ;).

4. Becoming

Becoming

$TheSearch7.jpg

900 km² REALLY is BIG!!! :D

5. Createman

Createman

Reached the edge of the world

$TheSearch11.png
    $TheSearch12.png

EDIT: Thought the player starts from the middle of the world. It took about an hour to walk there..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  6. Lanaany

Lanaany

Unfortunately I didn't find the easter-egg. Nevertheless I had a really great experience by just wandering around :)
    $TheSearch7.png

seansteezy likes this.
  7. Tr1pl3Six

Tr1pl3Six

Any chance you can compile for mac users?

8. EvilFox

EvilFox

Cool demo, but ugly auto-focus DOF.

9. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

...yeah the DOF is a bit too much but the terrain looks fantastic !

I found Big Foot on the hill, got in panic and forgot to take screens : /

10. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

I also have Pictures from down under, after falling off the planet and looking up at this 900 Square Km World. This is shortly before going over the edge. Wish I had a base jumping suit and the Oculus Rift. $TheSearch31.png

11. Becoming

Becoming

The player starts closer to the edge than to the middle, so depending which way you went you had more or less distance to cover :)

DOF: yeah, since we only spent 24 hours to make it, the time ran out to tweak some thngs, as usual it was easy going in the beginning and hurry in the end. Was a lot of fun though to make it...

Good luck to everybody making the best sceenshots or even running into the EGG :D

Best of luck,
    Peter

ps.: The screenshots get stored in the data folder of the buld, in case somebody didn't find them.

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

Easter egg ? You've probably mistook holiday season... :) Will need to run the demo on my laptop, because my desktop PC is still 32bit. Very curious how fast does it work like.

Tom

P.S. And you guys haven't told me you were doing so pleasant demoscene... :)

13. lazygunn

lazygunn

Its too big! You should have provided an automobile and some form of eggdar detector. Nice work folks, you dont need to be reminded about the dof I guess, and on my machine id have put silly amount of trees everywhere, and looking for the egg is about as inviting as finding the right pyramid on that pyramid planet in Damocles (oooold game) with no clues

Gave me a sense of perspective! Having gotten world composer i decided to pull no punches and the terrain one can see at any point in my planned project means having 400kmx200km of it. Your demo gave me an idea of how big thats going to be... its gonna be pretty big!

I think it might make for a fun day to do something similar myself with the same assets, especially as they seem the essential tools list for unity terrain at the moment, if i can not feel like a day not doing something on some existing project is a wasted day

14. Piers909

Piers909

I love the screenshots. Can't wait to try it when I get on a decent computer.

Could you walk me through the development process? I'd love to try making something like this myself.

mukki014 likes this.
  15. Frednaar

Frednaar

is ther a way to fly or just walk ? also how can you disable depth of field...
    impressive demo congratulations...

16. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

I've checked every inch. No eggs :(

Anyway...slightly color tweaked...

17. Becoming

Becoming

We will probably make an update, improving some of the little things(DOF, etc.) and in case the egg wont be discovered in reasonable time we will add some things(airplane? car? jetpack? we'll see...) that make it a bit easier... i realized its really hard to find ... i didn't find it and i know aproxx. where we placed it, lol! it can only be that you run into it by accident, you can forget the systematic approach and ... comb it :D

We will also share some of the things we learned during the making...

18. ChadH

ChadH

Hoping for a Mac version … :D

19. Breyer

Breyer

Easter egg? xDDD

$TheSearch14.png $TheSearch14-mod.png

More serious... ;)

From "Mount Everest" Panorama

$TheSearch13.png

I was climbing on "Mount Everest" and made this screenshot

Look into Valley

$TheSearch8.png

20. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Ok! After a few hours now I have given up. Give us a little clue. I have been to the top of the mountains, through the forests and through the bleak land. Just what are we looking for? Some Idea please. Big or small? Does it move? In the mountains on the ground or in the trees? Then maybe give us a Helicopter. Can we see it from far away if we are in zoom? Can we shoot it? $TheSearch48.png $TheSearch48.png

21. Becoming

Becoming

Its too early for real tips but i really respect you endurance :D
    I can give away only a very small tip for now :) Its about half a meter in size and its colorful! Yes you should be able to zoom in and see it from the distance! If nobody will find it anytime soon we will add some things that could help!

22. Kinos141

Kinos141

Area needed a horse. Add a horse!! Still, GREAT WORK!!! Also, zooming in with the camera, the sensitivity should be turned down. It moved to fast once zoomed in.

$Capture.PNG

23. Becoming

Becoming

yeah great point, thanks a lot, where is your screenshot though :p

The senitivity is really much to high when zoomed... horse would be cool though hard to make it good, we have something else in our minds... will be very cool :D

24. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Please put an option for the DOF and motion blur......it's lil bit annoying...

25. SevenBits

SevenBits

I'm very impressed. 900 square kilometers... that's pretty huge. What method did you use to load the terrain? I doubt that you did it all at once.

26. Olafson

Olafson

Did you use satellite data, or made everything from scratch?

27. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Thanks for the Tip.

I wish everyone a lot of luck looking for this Easter egg. It’s not like looking for a needle in a hay stack but rather like looking for a pin on a planet. We need more clues; I do hope it is not in a tree because there are, hell of a lot of trees. Which direction is better? Towards the sun or maybe away from the sun.

28. Becoming

Becoming

We are working on it right now :) Mac build, and 32bit windows build will be added too.

Yes we do load it all at once... the terrain alone runs at 400-800 fps, only the trees and the grass slow it down a lot, even if not rendered. Only the existence of trees and grass on the terrain kill the framerate, so its not coming from the shaders. We hope to find ways to optimize it further.

29. Becoming

Becoming

Aerial Images/Heightmap of Mount Rainier were used, WorldComposer played a big part... it was also used to remove the shadows from the image so we could have proper realtime lighting.

30. SevenBits

SevenBits

Great... I'm personally waiting for the Mac build... can't wait to see this for myself.

I think the best option is probably just to add a menu to customize the shader options, such as the draw distance. But post the Mac build first, as I want to see this. Maybe look around for the Easter Egg too, though I really doubt that I'll find it.

31. Ninety_

Ninety_

This looks amazing, I'm awaiting the Mac build eagerly.

32. 87Roach

87Roach

As neat as this is and as beautiful as it might be, I couldn't get across the image effects which made me feel quite sick in a matter of seconds let alone minutes. As a result of this I feel I wasted my time downloading it.

Turn that stuff down man, c'mon.

33. Becoming

Becoming

Yeah, its already in there, but unity is not very clever about this it affects the performance even if the distance is reduced to a minimum.
    And yes, DOF will be optional and properly adjusted for those who want to have it. Same for Motion Blur...

34. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

$TheSearch26.png $TheSearch5.png

This is so nice :)

Edit: Can not add pictures :(

35. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

This demo keeps overheating my computer :(

36. jolo309

jolo309

Here's a picture :) Still looking for the easter egg tho, but in case i don't find it in time i just wanna be sure to have a chance to win something :)

$TheSearch12.png
    $TheSearch45.png
    $TheSearch66.png
    $TheSearch15.jpg
    $TheSearch23.png

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  37. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I now have taken 101 pictures but can not upload one anymore. I will try it tomorrow again because there are some nice ones.
    What i would like for the demo was a save function because now my wife do not want to wait anymore and i have to shut down the pc and start at the beginning tomorrow again.

38. Becoming

Becoming

With screenshots like that the chance is quite good! really nice composition :)

I found that quite encouraging! Thanks, i am glad you like it so much that you want to try it more than once... maybe we can build it into the demo for tomorrow already.

We are thinking of adding things to the demo so it will improve a bit and it will be more interesting to explore, the egg stays on its position though :)

39. ChadH

ChadH

Really looking forward to it :D

You guys need to get some sleep soon

LOL

40. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Now I know why we are trying to find an Easter egg at Christmas……..because it will take until Easter until someone finds it.
    By the way, you could most probably now fry the egg on my GTX580 Graphic card. I had to turn up all 4 Ventilators on my rig. I’ll try it tomorrow with the Quadro6000
    I am still very impressed with this and have now bought the Asset. Looking forward to getting it up and running for the weekend.

41. Becoming

Becoming

Haha, rofl! yes we were joking like that when we placed the egg, frying it on your gtx sounds convinient too, lol!! i hope you will live up to your username and find it!!

By the way, Mount Rainier National Park surely is an interesting place to visit in reality as well :

$mount-rainier-national-park-in-summer--30720.jpg

Also very interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rainier

42. jolo309

jolo309

Been looking for the Easter Egg for about 6 hours now straight only with 4 breaks that only were for about 10 minutes :p Yeah i'm a no lifer lol. So any other clue than the small tiny tip that the Egg is half a meter in size and its colorful? :)

43. eagle555

eagle555

WOW, we didn't expect such efforts, really!!! Much respect for your endurance! Its a bit too early for giving tips but we intend to add things to the demo that make it easier with each update... so if you give up for now it does not mean you have no chance, try with coming updates and it will be easier. Giving tips would also be a bit unfair because not all people would read it here and so i think adding helpfull things is the best way!

Nathaniel

44. jolo309

jolo309

I understand :) But i never give up! I will continue till i find that egg no matter what, i'm just gonna take breaks more often :p

45. Matt-Face

Matt-Face

Shame that this is windows only... I would have liked to have seen a Mac OS X build of the demo...

46. eagle555

eagle555

We will make a Mac build tommorow ;).

Nathaniel

47. EvilFox

EvilFox

Will quicker hack. How do you define honesty?

48. jolo309

jolo309

Added some more pictures to my previous post :) Anyway i guess i take a break ^^

49. lazygunn

lazygunn

What the feck aha, the demo was mt rainer? I' m not familar wth it cept for staring at it in google earth the last couple of days as it proved an ideal site for my next project (well and surrounding area). What a weird coincidence! I should have recognised it quickly since id been working around it so long.. I shoud post a screenshot of my marked up google earth file for proof or something. My imagining is definitely a bit different! Especially as rainer will be pouring fumes. Least now people can get an impression of what rainer would be like after an eruption in terms of scale with a bit of imagination

Even more weird how did eagleeyes fry his 580 on this, it was not remotely taxing.. i noticed on my 470 the fans would kick in when any blur based post effects went on so maybe it was the heavy handed dof that did that but my 580 was quiet as a whisper and i had no performance issues whatsoever. Needed a ton more trees

You should add a thingy to dial in more trees to see how many you can get in before it all starts falling to pieces, the whole area around and north of rainer is heavily forested and my new chief anxiety in the 'can this be done' list of things im not 100% can be done

50. Kridian

Kridian

I ran to the top of that mountain. Almost expected to get attacked by an Ice Ape.

Add one of these:

$Bloodfin+darth+maul.jpg