Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

InstantGUI - a GUI display system and GUI editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Actually... strike that... it appears that the size of the gui changes based on how large my editor window is.... I can't say I was expecting that. Is there a way to fix the size regardless of how large my editing window is? I'd rather it be based on the resolution set and not the window scale.

2. unexile

unexile

Hi,
    With IntantGUI, you can create the GUI without the problem of adapting any size and resolution of android devices?

You can easily change the textures, themes, colors etc?

Thanks

3. Wright

Wright

unexile, Hi. I'm afraid that after Unity released their new GUI system use of IntsantGUI can be a bit of... unprofitable. Yes, you can create resolution-independent gui (please note that it would be not scale elements, but extend them the way legacy gui does), and you can easily change textures and colors, but new Unity GUI system can do the same, and it is already integrated. I can't say that this plugin is discontinued since I still use it in my own project, so I'll fix the bugs I encounter or maybe add some features, but I've sent an asset store request to make it free

4. Demonith88

Demonith88

How to use background scene with this gui

5. PlatinumScales

PlatinumScales

Hi! I really hope someone can help me, Im using this pause menu:

But i cannot make the Gui appear when i hit pause (check the last if-else) what should i use ?

6. TheColdQuasar

TheColdQuasar

Hey,
    The code in the PDF for the button
    using UnityEngine;
    public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public InstantGuiButton testButton;
    void Hello()
    {
    if (testButton==null) testButton = GetComponent(InstantGuiButton);

if (testButton.activated)
    {
    Application.LoadLevel("Project_Survival");
    }
    }
    } '
    It doesn't work. Is there a fix?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  7. TheColdQuasar

TheColdQuasar

Use a plane and then drag the image you want.

8. spirit meme

spirit meme

Hi,

I just download InstantGUI when i see youtube video
    I create a new project with this package, but when i try to create an instantGUI, it flows a lot of the same error in the console
    here is :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    InstantGuiElement.Align () (at Assets/InstantGui/Scripts/InstantGuiElement.cs:233)
    InstantGui.Update () (at Assets/InstantGui/Scripts/InstantGui.cs:220)

Do you have an idea of what is going wrong ?

9. SamPav

SamPav

Same here...

10. Wright

Wright

I'd like to ask you guys one question - what is so good about InstantGUI? Maybe there is something that I have not figured out - but it seems that all of it's features were replaced by uGUI. So what features do you use?

11. Xeex

Xeex

As a (now) free asset, i think this thing is great! and as soon as i learn to customize it, im definitely going to try, although i do like this blue ;) My only issue so far is after i was done following the tutorial and then maximize on play, all of my buttons are skewed. Its like the text doesnt stick with the buttons , and ive no idea how to fix it. If i hit where the buttons are supposed to be, they do work lol, but then my menu button gets all.. wonky and goes off as well anyone have any advice on fixing this? Ive been messin with the anchors to try but, to no avail.

Gyazo links for pictures in order. They dont look like they attached properly
    pic 1
    pic 2
    and the menu button wonkyness pic 3

Thanks all, in advance for any tips =)

And, Wright, to answer your question, the drag n drop is what i like most about it. I have used unitys editor but, was only able to create very basic things that looked terribad. Even if your asset was considered "basic" along the lines of unitys UI editor, its still a heckuva lot easier to use for a nooblet like myself =) with one exception so far, and thats the fact that i havent figured out how to use a button to change scenes. but, im sure ill get it sooner or later ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  12. Wright

Wright

Just checked out if it could be Unity 5 problem - but it seems not, everything should work with a recent version of Unity. Do you have the same problem in Glow demo scene?

13. Xeex

Xeex

ill check right now actually, thanks for the quick reply Wright =) i hadnt expected to log in this morning and see a reply lol. this was such an old thread

*Edit* Nope, demo scene works perfectly of course lol. Soooo, ill make a copy of that gui, drop it into my scene, and just tinker with it. I'm doin sumthin wrong on my end and perhaps it will give me some insight as to how to fix my menu button.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  14. Ego65

Ego65

the same for me! still no solution ? demo scene works but nothing else
    edited : i've deleted it reimported it again although the errors still are showing after starting the game play mode it disappears, strange! but seems to work. so i say many thx for this nice tool ! for free

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  15. Wright

Wright

I plan to update all of my plugins (both paid and free) for the last Unity version and fix possible bugs. Right now I'm a little busy with MapMagic, but as soon as it will be released I'll tackle all of other plugins problems.

16. moliminous

moliminous

I can't seem to figure out how to make the gui buttons work with loading scenes I've read over the doc that came with it over and over, and I still don't see where the code should go. I know how to load levels on press but can't seem to target these buttons

17. varunvp

varunvp

I downloaded this package today, it's great, but I have one problem.

The GUI Elements' names have been converted to hexadecimal! Could you fix this? Or send a screenshot of the GlowStyleSet.asset? I'll rename them myself. Also noted another problem in the demo scene. All the text int the GUI elements was initially in hexadecimal, but after I clicked on them once, it turned back to normal. This is a really great tool, I don't want anyone to be turned off by hexadecimal text in the demo scene and not realise the full potential of this package!

And has anyone implemented any animations for these elements? It would be great to see some in action!

Unity version : 5.0.1f1

Thanks Wright!

18. varunvp

varunvp

Well, just reimporting the package fixed the issue...-_-. Still, it would be interesting to have animations and the ability to display these GUI in World Space, much like Unity's does

19. TurboD

TurboD

I find this package very simple to use in an editor, but I need to control InstantGUI buttons and InstantGUI windows from code. I can't figure out how to read a message from a button when message is enter in editor under "Send Message" field. And how to close windows from a script. I am just start learning C# so my knowledge is not so strong at the moment. Can someone give me the example how to control elements of this package in C#.
    Particularly I am interested (at the moment) at closing windows when button is pressed.
    Probably I should do something like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Update () {
    2.         if (button.activated)
    3.         {
    4.             print("Button is pressed..");
    6.            // here should be code for closing opened InstantGuiWindow ....how to close????
    7.         }
    9.     }
    Any help will be more than grateful.

20. TurboD

TurboD

O.K., find one solution --> window.closeButton.activated = true; It works.

21. varunvp

varunvp

Hey man, I'm getting this strange error

It is related to lists. I don't know how to solve this. This is the line of code which is giving the problem
    if (i+firstShown < labels.Length && firstShown >= 0) elements.text = labels[i+firstShown];

22. NoirKurosuKai

NoirKurosuKai

Does anyone have a script for a camera sensitivity slider?

23. mircamirca

mircamirca

How to make window appear on trigger enter? It's sound simple but i cannot achive that :(
    The idea is to trigger a dialogue when player get's in a range of some NPC.
    Please help me if anyone knows.
    By the way this asset rocks, all respect to the author!

24. Alexbeav

Alexbeav

Hello, is this still being developed? I ran across it in the store, but it seems it hasn't been updated for Unity5...

25. AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

Appears to be dead.

26. Meliendel

Meliendel

hello. I'm Japanese hololens developer.
    Can I set InstantGUI in world space?like unity standard UI "canvas".

27. gsammbunny

gsammbunny

hello
    first of all thanks for this kind of great asset
    im using this gui in my game to make beautoful menu system and shop but i dont know how can i use this to perform action/function from my script because till now i just can enable and disbale object nothing else
    please help me

Thanks