Search Unity

Here's a font template... in HTML!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morgan, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Morgan

Morgan

I wanted to make a 10x10 (upper and lowercase) font template. One that put all the characters in their grid cells and let you change the font all at once. A Photoshop template couldn't do it.

Then I had an absurd idea: make an HTML template with CSS, and take a screenshot of it with OS X's font smoothing.

I know, I know, but it works pretty well :) Non-fixed-width fonts are still a pain to make (better to let Unity auto-import) but this did the job for my needs.

Why make your own font at all? Possibly if you have a font Unity can't import. But also because that way you can add multicolored effects like bevels in Photoshop (see the Wiki for alternate text shaders that allow this).

The HTML file is attached. Instructions for customizing is are on the page (defaults to 1024x1024). Let me know if I can improve it or the instructions in any way.

Attached Files:

2. Morgan

Morgan

Screenshot so you know what you're getting.

Attached Files:

3. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Smart. Thanks for the solution and for being so thorough! This should be in the wiki, no?

4. Richard_B

Richard_B

Neat trick!!

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Nice Work Morgan! DaveyJJ had an Illustrator template for fonts a while back (only uppercase though), but I can't find it now on the forums? It would be sweet to have this in an Illustrator file so you could pump it out to whatever resolution and not just a screen cap.

6. klindeman

klindeman

7. Morgan

Morgan

Added to the Wiki :) (on that page)

This is a pretty primitive solution, but it IS universally compatible with all users and all graphics programs. And you can globally change the texture size and font pretty easily, compared to some methods.

I suspect it won't end up being used much, but it's there if anyone needs it.

EDIT - updated Wiki link:

http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Font_Creation

8. mkingery

mkingery

hate to thread necro, but trying to run this app now won't seem to allow me to enlarge the window (to cap at 2048 for instance) - was wondering if there was a better option out there - came across this and it would solve all my issues :D