Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4.3.2 is out now ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spacefrog, Dec 18, 2013.

1. spacefrog

spacefrog

2. movra

movra

Might as well quote the release notes.

3. Arowx

Arowx

OMG and it's 1 Gig, come on UT please, please, please look into a patch based update?

And by patch I mean an install that only updates the files that are actually changed between minor releases.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  4. Metron

Metron

Ok... this is ridiculous...

a) Get your stuff straight... pull out the demo project from the installer and let it be in the Asset Store. I think this has been requested often enough.

b) Webcam pulled out... seriously... a patch for that... with nothing else?`

(*checking my calendar... yupp... 12/18... not even april 1rst...*)

5. vx4

vx4

They release new version just for WebCam
    What going on??????

6. Arowx

Arowx

It's a show stopper if you're trying to release your game on Macs.

7. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Why all the negativity?!

There was an issue with the Mac App Store which made publishing impossible (I believe)… so, if you were sitting on a project awaiting publishing you was screwed. This fixes it, which is a great update (if you need it). If you don't need it, just ignore it.

I agree the lack of 'patching' is annoying, but in this case, it is a simple 'do i need this update or not'.

8. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yes, we're working on that. (Unity->Preferences->Packages - it's not functional yet of course.)

9. virror

virror

Now this is good news : )

10. Arowx

Arowx

Yay, but won't that take a 1 gig download ;) :D

11. LaneFox

LaneFox

So..... People are going to download an reinstall Unity so that they can disable WebCam support in MacStandalone? Er...... Uhm.. What?

Or was this actually failing App Submission even if they weren't using the webcam support in the app?

12. eskovas

eskovas

Yeah, 1GB file for 1 fix seems like alot. Looks like that problem was very important and needed to be fixed as soon as possible.
    I was hoping for a fix in this update to a problem i am having, but i guess i'll have to wait for the next release.

13. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yes, it became impossible to ship a Mac App Store app built with Unity, so we made a 4.3.2 to fix that. Only customers who need to publish to the Mac App Store need this release. Anyone can download it of course, if they have the bandwidth and data allowance.

14. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yeah, it's like busses. There will be a second one (4.3.3) coming along shortly. That will be a 1GB download, but, I guess, if you need a fix, then it's a price worth paying.

15. lmbarns

lmbarns

Honestly if you're waiting on submitting why did you upgrade to 4.3 at the last minute anyway?

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's not the issue; you can't submit with 4.2 or other versions either, since they are all using the deprecated API.

I have to say it's totally bizarre that people complain about important fixes like this. Isn't this what you want? Smaller but faster patches, instead of having to wait for big updates?

--Eric

17. LaneFox

LaneFox

People want what suits them best at that point in time. Problem is not everyone needs/wants the same thing.

18. Mauri

Mauri

Most of the negativity is because it's only one single bugfix, but people still have to download a 1GB Unity setup for it. This was already mentioned very often before, not only in this thread. A patching system would be really handy for such sort of things. The good news is: it's already being working on. (Kudos for that :)).

19. Metron

Metron

Key word is smaller... thanks... it has been almost 1.5 years that we request to keep the updates smaller. Answer was: Isn't possible due to build pipeline...

So I'm happy to hear that they're finally working on that. But a (very) good first step would be to throw out that demo project. No need for that if you have so many in the asset store...

20. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Depreciated iOS been a issue since 4.0 not just for this, but general iOS if you open Unity app in Xcode you see error messages
    When iOS7 came out I thought Unity would update there coding to support new features and that nothing is depreciated.

21. Mikie

Mikie

1 fix. Not worth the time to download. Unity are you kidding me.

22. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

They are not, if I planned to publish a game through the Mac App store, I would definitely want this update ASAP. Read what their bug fix says. It said "Disable WebCam support in MacStandalone as it was using newly-deprecated APIs, which made publishing to the Mac App Store impossible. Web Cam support in mac standalone will come back in a future release.". They removed a feature so that people can publish their app to the Mac App store now, till they update the feature so it would be eligible to be published in the Mac App store in a future release.

At least that's how I understood it.

23. Moonjump

Moonjump

They fixed an urgent bug. It is well worth the time to download it for those who needed it. Perhaps it would have been clearer if the release notes said it only requires updating if this one bug is important to you.

But I do find it daft that they still include the demo project when it is available on the asset store as well. I hate the longer download, then having to find the project and delete it yet again. What is worse when I have to delete my Unity settings because of an issue, which causes Unity to load the Angry Bots demo if I haven't deleted it (HDD space and this issue are why I now always delete the project immediately), which makes my Mac unresponsive.

24. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, but isn't that clear just by reading it and thinking "do I need the changes this update has?"

I think that half the reason people complain is an irrational need to be running "the latest" even if it doesn't change anything that effects them.

Unity, thanks for getting an update out for this. It doesn't effect me personally right this second, but knowing you're paying attention and addressed it before it was a problem for me makes me happy.

25. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

FWIW, AngryBots is 290MB when installed; Unity itself (on Mac, anyway) is 3.25GB. So AngryBots accounts for about 8% of the total installed size of Unity - assuming that the installer is in the same proportions, dropping AngryBots would only reduce the download from 1.2GB to 1.1GB.

Every little helps and all that, and it'd certainly be more *elegant* to have a 'Sample Projects' tab when first launching Unity that's fed by the Asset store, but it's definitely not the 'big step' towards reducing download size that people have suggested it is.

26. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Unity4.3$ du -h -d0 *
    599M Documentation
    4.0K Documentation.html
    311M MonoDevelop.app
    80M Standard Packages
    1.7M Unity Bug Reporter.app
    2.4G Unity.app

Unity4.3$ cd Unity.app/Contents/
    Contents$ du -h -d0 *
    5.7M BuildTargetTools
    72K CGIncludes
    8.0K Documentation
    377M Frameworks
    4.0K Info.plist
    43M MacOS
    96K PackageManager
    4.0K PkgInfo
    1.8G PlaybackEngines
    146M Resources
    53M Tools
    12K _CodeSignature

Contents $ cd PlaybackEngines/
    PlaybackEngines$ du -h -d0 *
    23M AndroidDevelopmentPlayer
    17M AndroidPlayer
    18M BB10DevelopmentPlayer
    17M BB10Player
    46M FlashSupport
    21M Linux32HeadlessStandalonePlayer
    66M Linux64DevelopmentStandalonePlayer
    23M Linux64HeadlessStandalonePlayer
    23M Linux64StandalonePlayer
    59M LinuxDevelopmentStandalonePlayer
    21M LinuxStandalonePlayer
    61M MacStandalonePlayer
    207M NaclPlayer
    720K WebPlayer
    102M Windows64StandalonePlayer
    107M WindowsDevelopmentStandalonePlayer
    102M WindowsStandalonePlayer
    832M iPhonePlayer
    70M macdevelopmentstandaloneplayer

So, if a future Unity downloaded the various platforms that you have in your serial number, and fetched them when you switched into that build target, the overall download would be much smaller. Also, downloading the project and docs on-demand looks like it would be a win.

27. spacefrog

spacefrog

I have no problem at all with those download sizes...
    Hey , i paid for all this ... so give me huge amounts of gigabytes ! The more the better !
    :D

28. ZJP

ZJP

So, i'm (very very) not interesting about Apple dev. Can i have a download link without this platform please?

29. bizilux1

bizilux1

guys get your heads out of your asses... you think they will make 10 different version of updates just for people that dont publish on iOS, or dont publish on android, or dont publish on consoles, or dont publish on windows phone.... cmon people start F***ing thinking with ur head...

that goes especially for ZJP

in 2013, it is expected that you have internet with unmeasured bandwith, atleast 90% of internet users... so where is the problem boys and girls?

30. ZJP

ZJP

I am on Internet for almost 20 years. I've never written this kind of word. Some respect please.

31. bizilux1

bizilux1

whatever man think with ur head

do you REALLY think they will make special version just for those 3% that dont want to develop on iOS?

cmon...

32. ZJP

ZJP

No, they are trying to satisfy customers like you. End of discussion for me.

33. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

The problem is in same places like in canada we have a download cap. I had a problem where it wasnt opening some of the files and i upgraded unity now its working again. So maybe it fixed things without saying it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  34. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Alright settle down, because of how Unity is built, splitting up all those things up isn't actually possible right now. We rarely hear "give me less options!" Although we get that the download is quite large and it's not ideal for all of you and we are trying to make this better.

35. angel_m

angel_m

I 'll have to wait for a bigger bug fix... :(

36. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    Small frequent updates are very useful, especially when they address such problems.
    Downloading smaller sized updates would be really appreciated, if possible.
    I understand that it is not something that will happen overnight, but putting it in the TODO list would be great.

37. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

... really?

I'd understand it if a few bits and pieces are needed for each of the targets, but does Unity honestly have to download 832mb of iOS-specific stuff for, say, Windows desktop developers? Keep in mind that until very recently those Windows desktop developers couldn't even access the iOS stuff, at all.

I think that Graham's suggestion was pretty reasonable, with the only difference being I'd make it an install option to download those things rather than doing it on first switch.

38. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Lot of complainers on here, first complain about the size - firstly you dont need to download this build as its for iOS only bug fix.
    Yet you find a reason to complain and go offtopic. Why you got have this build if its a bug fix.
    For starters I have no issue with download size, try downloading Adobe products or Microsoft!
    In future project file removed will help and docs can be separate as for now this is the least of worries.
    Rather push for bug bashing

39. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

@Aurore,

One idea is that you could send 12 USB sticks (once a month) for those annual UnityPro subscribers for additional cost S&H.

One decade ago, we used to do back in the BBS days - send 12 sets of floppies, once a month to all our subscribers with USA Payroll updates.

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's a fix for Mac app store submissions, not iOS.

But they can now. (Also it's not actually downloading 832MB, that's the uncompressed size.) Anyway it's a moot point since they've already acknowledged the download size and intent to do something about it.

--Eric

41. philociraptor

philociraptor

Is there any chance of implementing the old occlusion culling system again? - it didn't kill performance and actually improved it for mobile?. The new one is better off not being used at all

Is there any chance of fixing T4M ? This runs at about 2 frames per second now and is pretty much unusable in its current state?

42. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

No mention of a fix for the Editor crash bug on MacOSX when debugging and no mention of a fix for Windows 8.1 offset/scaled input...

43. Murgilod

Murgilod

Want to try that again, champ?

44. Amon

Amon

Don't feed him.

His Troll post had exceptional power. The sweeping statement that everybody should have fast internet and unlimited data because it's 2013 was so Trolly powerful I actually am afraid for the human race.

Why?

There was a film I watched recently called Pacific Rim. That fissure between the tectonic plates is where these trolls come from. In human understanding that fissure is actually the absolute shallowest part of the Human Gene Pool. Even God is afraid.

45. Murgilod

Murgilod

They can't be coming from the bottom of the ocean because that would imply they've ever managed to bathe.

46. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

downloading the 1gb in 38 sec. :D Thanks to my ISP!

47. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Montly usage 175 GB??? omg thats nutz (sorry) ... Iam downloading 100 GB per day alone. Where do you live?

48. GregMeach

GregMeach

Ha! - I used to be the one installing those monthly payroll updates.... ah the memories... :)

49. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

We get 100GB a month between 4 :( New Zealand internet for the lose....

50. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Oh sad to hear :( In Germany we have flat rate, unlimited traffic with 150 mb/sec for around 40 EUR