Search Unity

Odd flickering on iPhone4 / Touch4 with mobile shaders

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by skullthug, Dec 17, 2013.

1. skullthug

skullthug

Anyone else experiencing odd shader flickering on iPhone 4 / Touch4 devices with Unity 4.3? All I've been able to discover is that it possibly has to do with the SkinnedMeshRenderer.

I recorded a video of it occurring. You'll notice it actually doesn't happen on the second hand initially until the application is paused and then resumed, upon which the flickering starts up again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9bh4WWwWU

The shader I'm using on these hands is nothing complicated, just a modified version of the Unity Mobile_BumpSpec-1DirectionalLight shader with "noforwardadd" removed so I can use more than one directional light.

If you're experiencing this please consider adding some votes to the registered bug on Unity's tracker.
    http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/skinnedmeshrenderer-starts-flickering-after-resuming-an-app

2. Jessespike

Jessespike

3. skullthug

skullthug

Yeah, I saw a similar thread that suggested that as well. Unfortunately it didn't work here. I also tried toggling 24bit and 32bit depth but still no luck.

4. petey

petey

Hey skullthug, I'm having the same issue :( Just wondering if you ever found a solution?
    In the issue tracker it says "Fixed in future release" so that's cool but i'd love to get it working now 'cause I'm close to release.
    Pete.

5. skullthug

skullthug

Never found one. And yeah I can verify it's still happening in the latest release >:|

6. petey

petey

Ahh crap! So it's still happening in the latest beta??

7. skullthug

skullthug

I don't have access to the betas, so hopefully it might be fixed in them??

8. skullthug

skullthug

OK, i got my hands on the 4.5 RC and YES it appears as if it's fixed. Thank goodness!

9. petey

petey

Yeay! That's great!
    I'm holding out for it before I do my next update.
    Thanks for checking it out.

10. benni05

benni05

It's beginning of May and we are still waiting for a fix (more than 4 months). The bug simply means that at least one deployment target (iPhone 4) is rendered useless if you are making use of a Skinned Mesh Renderer - and that is highly likely. It's a shame! Anyone aware at Unity of how many users worldwide are still using an iPhone4? I would be looking forward to 4.5 if the upcoming version wouldn't mean that something else (mostly something very important) is going to be broken. And that is almost certain given the awful QA experience of the past.

11. petey

petey

IPhone 4 is at 11% so it's still a decent chunk. http://stats.unity3d.com/mobile/device-ios.html
    Unity 4.5 is apparently in the final stages so it should be out pretty soon... Hopefully : /
    My next release is ready to go as soon as a fix comes out!

12. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hi all,

This issue for me I do not think is fixed, I just been rejected by Blackberry store for the same problem.
    The problem also seems to be device specific, where the new Blackberry apparently has issue but older one does not.
    I have also seen this problem on the iPhone 4.

We should make this more visible to the iPhone teams.

Thanks.

13. petey

petey

It appears to be working for me on iPhone 4. I never had the problem on blackberry!
    Can you reproduce it? I only have a z10. Hopefully it's something that can be patched quickly through the new modules system...

14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

The exact words from Blackberry:

"I'm testing your app on BlackBerry Z30 and Z3. The characters are flickering on the main menu and during game ply. The game is fine on the BlackBerry Z10"

Will try and report this but I think maybe the fix was added to iPhone and issue may be present on all other mobile devices also, so really they should have checked all the other devices also.

Maybe there is explanation of fix from developers.

15. petey

petey

Ahh man, that's pretty disappointing. :(
    Seems like it took ages to get that fixed for the iPhone so I imagine it's gonna be pretty low priority on Blackberry...

I might have to make my blackberry port limited to Z10