Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Universal Fighting Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Mistermind

Mistermind

Universal Fighting Engine v1.8.6
    (UFE 1.X HAS BEEN DEPRECATED. USE UFE 2 INSTEAD)

Universal Fighting Engine (or UFE) is a toolkit designed to help you develop your own 2.5D fighting game, using a highly customizable open source framework and easy to use visual editors.
    Those who studied fighting games have probably realized just how complex even the smallest thing is when dealing with balance and frame data. Charts upon charts of information you just can't see while playing, not to mention the highly complex aspects of hitboxes and unique physics. That's where Universal Fighting Engine comes in. UFE provides you with an open fighting game engine ready to use, highly customizable data frame and easy to use character and move editors similar to those used by Capcom, NetherRealm and Double Helix to create games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct.

Feature Spotlight:

Supported Addons:

Try it: http://www.ufe3d.com/demo

Upcoming Features: http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/upcomingfeatures
    Videos: http://www.ufe3d.com/videos

Official Website: http://www.ufe3d.com
    Official Forum:http://www.ufe3d.com/forum

Requires Unity 5 or higher

$gameplay_screenshot3.jpg

Mecanim support
    $gameplay_screenshot6.jpg

Videos:
    Small tech demo (more videos available on my youtube channel):

Mobile demonstration (Android Tablet):

Mecanim Animations Compatibility:

UFE 1.6 UI Tutorial:

How move editor works:

Click here to watch more videos

UFE Features and Prices

$wiki:unity_as_badge.png $sellfybutton.png

Are you a student?

Send me a PM with the details of your course, school, and plans to use UFE and I'll provide you with a 20% discount on any version!

Current Version: 1.8.6 (change log)

Notes:
    • UFE Basic comes with 1 character: Mike
    • UFE PRO comes with 2 characters + 1 mecanim copy: Mike, Joan and Mecanim Bot
    • UFE Source and UFE Bundle come with all of the above plus Robot Kyle
    • If you bought UFE Source and would like to buy the Extension Bundle, upgrade to UFE Bundle instead. That gives you a $30 discount!
    • If you bought UFE through Sellfy and would like to upgrade, send me a PM with your receipt and I'll give you a discount relative to the upgrade.
    • The demo is loaded with Fuzzy A.I. by default. To see how Random A.I behaves, switch it under the main menu's option.

(*) Included on UFE Bundle.
    (**) Refers to UFE Source and UFE Bundle packages.

Click here to go to the original W.I.P. Post.
    You can use it as reference and to read more about the development history of UFE.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    John3D likes this.
  2. Mistermind

Mistermind

More Videos:

Fantasy Strike:

Grappling tutorial:

Kings of Kung Fu:

League of Legends Fighting Game Tech Demo:

Character Editor Tutorial:

More screenshots:

Workplace
    $workplace.jpg

Move Editor
    $MoveEditorTutorial.jpg

The Matrix!
    $HeIsBeginningToBelieve.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  3. marcipw

marcipw

Bought it!

Well done Daniel. I can not wait for the awesome updates to arrive in the new year.

AI is my most anticipated upcoming feature as I want to create a great single player fighter with a strong story.
    In the mean time, I have loads of things to be getting on with like creating characters / animations / storylines, etc.

Hopefully I will get loads of time over the festive period to give my project a proper kick start using UFE as an amazing foundation!

"I'm dreaming of a fiiiight Christmas. Just like the ones I used to know...."

4. Mistermind

Mistermind

New video is up!

5. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Is it on Asset Store? Because I can't find it.

6. Mistermind

Mistermind

Unity has recently removed the package from the asset store because of some small issues, but it will soon be back online.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  7. johnny12345

johnny12345

sorry to be a retard i cant even get the demo to work i click on start then i m stuck on character select page cant do anything from there,in unity it says Input Axis P1KeyboardHorizontal is not setup ,ive followed your setup instructions any ideas thanks

8. Mistermind

Mistermind

Have you gone through the installation notes?
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/installation

You need to replace the file InputManager.asset from the folder "ProjectSettings" inside your project folder with the file provided under "Assets\InputManager".

Sorry about this step, but currently there is no other way around with Unity since it doesn't let us export the ProjectSettings folder onto the package.

9. johnny12345

johnny12345

sorry im an idiot,id left both imput managers in there,but renamed the new one old lol thanks.
    on a side note or request if possible
    3d character selection,like a round plinth for each player, each character would be 3d sat on the plinth with a small animation as you cycle through the character the character changes on the plinth

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yup that is a great idea =)
    I'm actually planning on having several different character selection screens sold separately, and I even encourage other developers to create similar addons to the engine!

11. Nosferatu

Nosferatu

It may have been removed due to the uTomateProjectProperties.asset in the root as that could be found in the uTomate asset as well?

12. Mistermind

Mistermind

oh wow was that in the package? Darn it, I installed it to try something else with package export but I guess I left a trail there.
    I believe I removed that trace in my last update to Unity, but its hard to tell what they mean without much information ><
    uTomateProjectProperties.asset is actually just a dummy file. The entire uTomate addon was removed from the package either way. But thanks for the heads up =)

13. Mistermind

Mistermind

Guys, couple question, and I don't want to use the poll system because I recently learned you can't change it or remove it once its there lol

What is more important to you right now?
    Demo of the product or the cheaper compiled versions? If the answer is the cheaper compiled versions, which one exactly?

14. liero116

liero116

I think for a great deal of casual users would find the cheaper compiled version fairly useful. I can easily see your framework replacing MUGEN altogether and it could potentially see a great deal of that community migrating over. Me personally, I couldn't live without the source code, but I think the Pro version would serve the vast majority of your users very well.

15. magnetoman

magnetoman

I have a question, will there be any Holiday day deals for the open source version? If not its cool, just thought I'll ask since it's going to take me a month or so to save up for it anyways. lol.

Same here!

I think a demo would be good, so that people can get some hands on experience, just to let them know what limitations/ non limitations , they are looking for.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  16. Mistermind

Mistermind

Unfortunately the holiday discount is the one that is already in motion hehe. The actual price for the source is $199. Also, as much as I'd like to, I can't offer more discounts as a consideration for those who already purchased =)

I actually decided to take road number 1 and I'm half way through maybe -just maybe- finish the pro compiled version. I'm also gonna update the prices a bit upon its release.

In essence I'll be getting rid of the advanced version and making the PRO compiled for just $95.00!

Now guys, trust me when I say this: If you really want to make a professional piece of work I honestly recommend the open source version. With the compiled version you might end up hitting walls in the long run.

Of course, I'll still offer ways for you to upgrade to pro source at any time.

As for a playable demo, its my next priority after this.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  17. magnetoman

magnetoman

That sounds fair. Never hurt to ask,lol. Will it be up on asset store later in the future.

18. Mistermind

Mistermind

Its already being reviewed by the Asset Store. With any luck, maybe today or tomorrow!

19. Mistermind

Mistermind

Good news guys.
    Prices updated once more, and pro version (compiled) has just been sent to the Asset Store.
    You can get it now on sellfy.

20. Kosidinma

Kosidinma

Leave both up in my opinion...some of us like to use source codes and some don't

21. Mistermind

Mistermind

They are both available =)

22. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

So, is it because of you are using FlyingTeapot's asset (but licensed and authorized right?) or is it because of you accidentally included the uTomateProjectProperties.asset that got your project removed from the Asset Store? I still like to see this on Asset Store because it is far easier to update through it.

BTW, did you email or private msg Caitlyn about this? You can also email Aurore and maybe she can pass on the message.

23. Mistermind

Mistermind

They didn't specify the reason. But regardless of what it was, I've updated the package on the same day (monday or tuesday I believe), removing all traces of third party packages.
    Today I received an e-mail reply from their support team, but they said they can't re-enable the asset themselves as the decision is up to the asset store team. He said he sent an e-mail to the asset store team about the subject, but no other information or development was given after that.

Thank you for those suggestions! I'll send one of them a private message.

24. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Subscribing to this thread :)

25. jerotas

jerotas

Subscribing as well. We may want this in the future.

26. dinkeytom

dinkeytom

How would you receive updates if you purchased on Sellfy?

27. Mistermind

Mistermind

There is an e-mail update feature on sellfy. When I update the link I can use it to resend the update to all users who purchased it. It resets the download attempts as well.

28. JohnGallet

JohnGallet

This package is awfully expensive. I think it will not sell. Sorry about this. I would buy the source code edition at $60. If you can sell a lot, then good for you, but you will not get my money at this price.
    (and your website has no contact form or any support form whatsoever!!!)

29. ninjasdf

ninjasdf

This could have been put into a more constructive form of price criticism. However, as a developer myself I can't stress enough how much work actually goes into something like this. Not only has this toolkit been developed to be expanded upon and customized, but it's fully commented and clean. 99% of developers would not be able to accomplish this. Compare this toolkit that I'm sure MMind developed for months on end with a graphical/sound asset someone put together in 2-3 weeks and you should clearly see why he might be inclined to charge a pretty penny. Especially considering he has the only Unity product catering to what ultimately amounts to a niche genre, and it's completely open source.

30. jaelove

jaelove

This tool is worth 10 times the asking price

Ghostpunk likes this.
  31. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

just try to hire a developer to come up with something similar to this. lol ... you'll end up in a 4 digits number easy (if it's not 5 digits ). This thing is a huge time saver. 250 bux for something like this when you're an actual indie developer is bargain.

32. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you so much for all that support guys =) I feel warm inside. Is it the xmas spirit? lol

As for the price, I'm not sure where you get the reference to why you think its expensive (maybe you are basing this on the price of an actual game?) but for a SOURCE product this is extremelly cheap. I did manage to find some what similar products with similar pricing tables eventually (a 3D Racing Game Toolkit to be exact) and they mostly charge twice of what I'm asking for the source code, as they offer some cheaper compiled versions.

If you don't know what the source version is or what to do with it (basically you just want it because its the "best"), you shouldn't worry about purchasing it really, as the PRO version will offer you the exact same content for much much cheaper. The only difference is that the core of the engine is not open source, meaning there are some things you can't change. but you will still have an extremelly powerful tool in your hands. If you have any doubts, check the documentation. Everything there is available in any version. The scripts you will be playing with the most (GUI Scripts) are open source for all versions either way.

I wish i had some testimonials of people who purchased the PRO only version so you can have some idea of it. =)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  33. TaxisDude

TaxisDude

If I buy the pro version and after some testing, I need the source edition, I need to pay the full price or will be possible to pay only the difference or apply some discount?

Sorry if you have already answered my question before ^^U

Fake-edit: I'm subscribed to this thread :D

34. Mistermind

Mistermind

Absolutely.
    Sorry the option is not available right now, but I'll have it available very soon

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  35. liero116

liero116

Here's my thought on it. You only need the source if you plan to create something very unique from the normal style of fighting game.

Really, he could have charged way more than he is charging now simply due to the fact that there currently isn't any other open source fighting engine at all. The closest possible things you can get are MUGEN and EF-12; neither of which are open source. As a matter of fact, the cheaper Pro version of UFE is nearly identical to both of those. The key difference is you don't have to code anything at all for UFE and it's all laid out nicely. I did some pretty extensive tinkering and found UFE to be 90% ready for me. A couple things need to be updated here and there, but MMind put all of them on his to-do list pretty much immediately.

Long story short, if the price is too high for you, you have other options, but you'll have no real control over the final product and should you choose to sell your game later, youre out of luck.

36. Mistermind

Mistermind

Guys I'm currently out of town and I don't have access to all my tools, so I'll be available for Q&A only for most of this holiday. As soon as I get back I'll start running some small polls to determine the priorities of the upcoming features.
    Also don't forget guys: If you need any specific feature and enough people agree with you, provide me with the animations (and any other required asset) and I'll make that feature free of charge, as long as you let me promote it using your assets in a video. Don't worry, your assets won't be used for anything other than the video.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  37. jaelove

jaelove

I've been working with it all week I have a few suggestions though could you make it possible to edit the camera parameters real time It's rough having to restart the program after every little edit also I think you forgot to add Announcer to the to do list but it's a great tool can't wait for the updates

38. Mistermind

Mistermind

With a few tweaks I believe that is possible . You mean the standard camera position right? (not the cinematic one)

You're right. There is a way to do it using the OnAlert event inside GUIScript.cs, but it requires coding. I'll add the visual editor option in the upcoming features right now.

If you need anything else let me know

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  39. jaelove

jaelove

Yeah I was referring to the standard camera but another thing that would really come in handy is to be able to preview the animation speeds real time in the move editor window currently you have a scrub bar but we'd get a better feel with a real time speed playback option

40. Mistermind

Mistermind

I tried that at first but I ran into some code limitations. I'll give it another shot when I get back. I can see how useful something like that could be.

41. Mistermind

Mistermind

Small update:
    Skype support added for those who purchased the Pro open source!
    For those who want my live support, PM me with your receipt number and skype ID and I'll add you to my skype. I wont be so active during the holidays (currently out of town) but when I get back u can count on me to help you out and get you up to speed in any of my updates =)

42. jaelove

jaelove

cool good to know I don't think I will need any help as of yet I am currently converting all of my stages to Unity I should be done by the new year then the real fun begins lol

43. Dean Avanti

Dean Avanti

I would love to see a demo showing objects in the background, I want to see how 'parallax scrolling effect' movement effects how distant objects look, so I can decide, single image for background, or cut it up and use layers to get '3d styled' object movement when the players move. There is not an editable demo I presume?

44. Mistermind

Mistermind

Not only there is an editable demo, its recommended that you use some of its asset as a base to your future work :)
    In fact the live docs makes constant reference to it as it provide great examples of moves, character, general configurations and even full open source GUI scripts for all versions of UFE.

Im also currently working in a playable demo of UFE that should come out before the year ends.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  45. Mistermind

Mistermind

This is a quote from the W.I.P post:
    Input Leniency added =)
    $InputLeniency.jpg

For more on input leniency, check out this link:
    http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2010/jan/11/understanding-input-leniency-street-fighter-4/

I'm still rapping up some other small updates (mainly to the demo that comes with the package) and will be updating the engine soon!

46. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Is there a playable demo anywhere?

47. Mistermind

Mistermind

Not yet. I just figured I had to have this feature in if I wanted to have a decent playable demo for you guys.
    I'm currently working on the demo. Should be out tomorrow =)

48. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Nice one!

49. Mistermind

Mistermind

Small question guys:
    Is anyone interested in the basic version? I'm thinking about pushing some updates ahead of its release.

50. jaelove

jaelove

From your last poll it seemed like only a few people were interested in the basic version the pro source seemed to be the majority consensus vote