Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Testing Unity on BB10

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by udik, Dec 17, 2013.

1. udik

udik

Hi Guys,

It seems that BB10 simulator does not support Unity (ouch! not sure why BB cannot fix this .. for such long time) - how do you guys test.. if you don't have 1k to shell for BB device...?

Cheers,
    Udi

2. Grespon

Grespon

Best way to test it:
    BlackBerry Giveaway
    Just upload what you already have, receive the Z10, and start testing on a real device.

3. udik

udik

Thanks!

4. udik

udik

Unity pro, $375 .... lots of money for Indie developers :) if I had this money I would have already purchased Z10 :)

5. Grespon

Grespon

I didn't understand.. what costs $375?

6. udik

udik

Clicking this link it says that you need to get BB add-on to Unity Pro in order to get the Z10, but Unity Pro by itself is like $1500 .. or $375+ x monthly.. or something like that,,

7. Grespon

Grespon

I think you need Unity PRO only for the Blackberry PRO license, because they are linked. The Terms and Conditions has two kinds of rewards. The first one (Z10) doesn't say anything about needing Unity PRO.

8. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Except that the Giveaway is for Unity Pro customers with iOS Pro and Android Pro.

9. udik

udik

That's my point :) if I had $1500+ for Unity Pro .. I probably wouldn't needed BB's help ..

10. udik

udik

Hmm when I go to https://unity3d.com/contest/blackberry and fill in the data it asks for Unity Pro serial number, which I obviously do not have :) how did you get around this? See attached.. $serial-required.png

11. Grespon

Grespon

I have Unity PRO... But I believe you can put the serial from your Unity Indie, don't you? My work coleague have Unity Free and registered. I'll ask her how she did it.

EDIT: I asked her and she told me this is the registration to win the BlackBerry PRO license, and she couldn't make it. She still didn't send the draft game to receive the Z10, so I can't tell you if it work or not anymore... sorry. BUT.. I think you should ask THIS GUY. He is a very prestative guy from BlackBerry. Maybe he can help you to register for the Z10 only.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  12. udik

udik

Thanks, yeah just asked him...

13. Grespon

Grespon

Cool.. let me know, right? I'm courious if my friend will be able to receive the Z10 too. :)

14. udik

udik

Sure will do, so far no answer ...

15. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Hello all,

Just to clarify, the offer mentioned at the following URL is intended for those with a Unity Pro license to begin with; for both Reward Category 1 (the BlackBerry Z10) and Reward Category 2 (the BlackBerry Pro license add-on.)
    https://unity3d.com/contest/blackberry

However you can still develop, package, deploy and sell Unity games on the BlackBerry platform for free as long as you are not making use of any Pro features; which, without the license in the first place, you likely wouldn't be.

So primarily what I imagine this is coming down to is having a test device on-hand, correct? While the in-Unity previewer does a very good job for the majority of testing, I agree that on-device testing is a key step. For this, I'm happy to test any BAR files created within Unity on physical hardware here, just fire me an email and we can sort out the details.

That being said, if you're well along into your development and you're looking for a testing unit, we do have a stock of devices available from time to time. Fire me an email to let me know (note that I'll ask for a BAR file as an initial evaluation of the application.) If I can see you've put in the effort (i.e. not just a shell of an application) then I'll do what I can on my end to get a testing unit (likely a Dev Alpha B device) shipped to you. In those cases where a Dev Alpha B (due to the 1GB memory) doesn't meet the needs of the testing, we can look at Z10 devices but that's a case-by-case decision.

Hope that helps / clears up some of the details.

Let me know if you have any questions.

16. anshVol

anshVol

Hey guys I got my app approved on the store but still I didnt get any mail on how to claim the device
    Can you please provide me further info on the same ??

17. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Best bet is to reach out to BlackBerryDeveloperProgram@blackberry.com, they run the offer and should be able to give you specifics on the next steps / confirm eligibility.

18. anshVol

anshVol

Well I think there is some problem with BB, as no one cares to reply for your email, I have sent 2-3 mails and got not reply.
    I once got a mail last week saying "Your app is captured in the Unity report. You should be contacted by Touchstone before the end of this week. Please make sure that it’s not marked in your spam folder ."
    Now again its been almost a week since that and got no reply. I even replied asking that I got no mail till now, no reply.

19. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Hi there, I see that you have already, but if this happens again by all means include me on the email and I'll do my best to speed things along where I can.

There was a slight difference between the email that was reported for where Touchstone would have contacted you, and the email that we are communicating with. If you haven't seen that email, please let me know and I will re-send it.

20. anshVol

anshVol

Hey Erik,
    Can you tell me how much time does it take for the device to ship. My gamepad order was placed on 10th January and Z10 device order was confirmed on 15th January, and I havent received any update yet.

21. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Generally devices/hardware are shipped within 2-3 business days and arrive 1-2 business days after that. Given the time it's been between the original requests, I would recommend reaching out to BlackBerryDeveloperProgram@blackberry.com to get their input. They can get information from the folks at Touchstone (who are responsible for the actual shipments.) Feel free to CC me and I'll poke them if a response takes longer than expected, but they tend to be good about response times.

22. anshVol

anshVol

Nope never happened, I never got response until I send same mail twice, thrice or even more, even when I has some issue regarding publishing my game on the store, that time too I had to send same mail again and again to get some response, now also I have sent 3 mails since 3 days asking if there are any updates regarding the shipping, its almost been a month now, no reply whatsoever, I have put you in CC as well, but you are out I guess, I hope to get a positive response atleast once you are back.

23. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Hi anshVol; I'll follow-up with the team to see what's going on. Apologies, I would have follow-up sooner but I've been out of the office since Thursday.