Search Unity

[Dungeon Crawler] Dungeon Divers : Pixel Sidescroller

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Myhijim, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Myhijim

Myhijim

Introduction
    Overview
    Media

What a way to celebrate 1,000 posts!
    Love you Unity Community

Why make this game?

This game is currently a school project however I plan and have always planned to take it much much further than that. It is due at my school in around six weeks, but I will continue to develop it for much longer.

This is not only school-work, but also a challenge for me to develop something in under 10 weeks of substantial value and re playability.

When it is finished, I plan to release on PC for free and Android/iOS for .99c.

What is with the crummy graphics?
    Well, as you can probably tell, I am no artist. I am using Paint.Net and have no real artistic talent as my real talent lies in programming, ideas and design.

Why are you still talking?
    I don't know, let's move on!

Dungeon Divers is a randomly generated, room to room side scroller which contains many enemies, traps and various puzzles. It is a combination of solving puzzles and fighting slimes, spiders and other ghastly things.

By the end of development I hope to have the following achieved :
    Upto 8 people co-op.
    Over 10 enemies.
    Over 10 bosses.
    Randomly generated puzzles
    Level Builder
    An achievement system
    Ingame purchases/ Upgrades

Meet Pix

This is Pix

Pix has a wife, 2 children and his occupation as a pixel count was just not working out. He decided to try a new hairstyle :

Well... Several Hairstyles

OH and he has taken up a very rewarding job, dungeon diving. It's a shame the job advertisement didn't mention the gory pixel details. Death by slime, death by spikes, death by falling crate, and, worst of all, death by falling crate ridden by falling slime!
    It happens! Even ask our former... nevermind

For those who are eager and want to know more, here is the GDD : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R72fuKxBNVzgR5rsZ0LlIoacuXBJHieyxH6YTnqU-l0

(Images are less blurry than they seem)

Traps
    Spikes
    $SpikeAnimation.gif

Enemies

Slime
    $JumpAnimation.gif

Interaction Objects

Gravity Box
    $GravityBox.gif

Triggers

Character

World Generator

This world generator is by no means finished, this is one day in and rooms+tunnels are developed, over the next week or so I want to generate ladders, steps and traps!

Pics

Webplayer : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86347174/GenerationTest/GenerationTest.html

Thank you all, hope you follow the progress and enjoy the game (when it comes out soon) and well, here's to another
    1,000 posts! :D

Cheers Myhijim

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. TrueChaoS

TrueChaoS

Looking good, mate. As you know, I'm willing to help if you need anything.
    Just let me know on Skype if you do :3

Also, congrats on the 1k ^^

3. TheRaider

TheRaider

your art is actually pretty cool

4. Myhijim

Myhijim

Why thank you! They are my first attempts at pixel art so, hopefully over the next 6 weeks I will improve further.

@TrueChaoS
    Thank you very much, your testing will be required later on

On another note
    The next major update will most likely be Tuesday.

5. TrueChaoS

TrueChaoS

I actually have to agree with TheRaider by the way. Your pixel art isn't as bad as you say it is ^^
    I've tried pixel art before and you're leagues better than myself :3

And sweet. Will be keeping my eye here and on Skype for that next update and when you need me.

6. marak-v1

marak-v1

Nice, ill keep an eye on this thread, keep up the good work.

Also im jealous of your generator script, one day? S*** im still arguing with mine haha.

7. Seven

Seven

Really like the art style with this.

Find myself being drawn more and more into pixel art, going to have to give it a try sometime.

8. Myhijim

Myhijim

Thanks a bunch!

Haha yeah, it was a spree of flying code and pieced together algorithms, but it ended up working so yeah!

Thank you very much, I am unsure of my art talents so this is a very comforting gesture, thank you.

On another note

Try out some generation yourself, remember that this system is far from finished this is still VERY basic, it does not yet include perfect tunnels (some rooms aren't connected), rugged rooms and tunnels (waayyyy too smooth right now), limited tunnels (some levels generate like 5 tunnels to each room, insane) or any different block placement (Eg slopes and varied surfaces)

So here it is :
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86347174/GenerationTest/GenerationTest.html
    Please, feel free to post any generated dungeons you find to look cool! They will of course look cooler later when I add all of the other generation features

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  9. Blacklight

Blacklight

The shading on Pix makes him feel a bit out of place in the backgrounds shown.

Matching
    $pixel_shading-matching.png Shaded Pix is what you did, shaded crate is by me.

Mismatch
    $pixel_shading-notmatching.png

The difference is subtle but the matching styles are much more appealing to look at.

Also, what kind of algorithm are you using for your dungeons?

10. Myhijim

Myhijim

Cheers for the heads up Blacklight! I will see to it that it is fixed. I should've probably picked up that I uploaded the wrong version....

As for the algorithm I am using a custom method to handle it, fairly simple really. You cut out a square and then generate tunnels between them using their center co-ords. A simple but effective and fast system.

Edit: If you want a code example feel free to PM me

11. GeneBox

GeneBox

This is looking good!