Search Unity

2D Physics Puzzle Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dreeka, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dreeka

Dreeka

2D Physics Puzzle Kit is available to the asset store!
    Online Webplayer

$physics_sale_banner.png

Always wanted to create one of these puzzle solving contraption games that involve complex chain reactions? Or you just wish to learn more about game development? This toolkit gives you the freedom to easily learn and expand on a very polished game foundation.

Features:
    • Making use of the new Unity 2D features
    • Features 19 physics items with 9 unique behaviours
    • Complete and animated GUI system (title screen, level selection, pause and level finished
    • Easy to configure level goal manager
    • Save and unlock system for collected stars and level completion
    • 8 examples levels that show each assets function
    • Fully commented source code in C# and javascript
    • Can easily be expanded/modified with new levels or items for your needs!

It works with Unity built-in features and does not need any 3rd party tools to get it up and running.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. sicga123

sicga123

What is supposed to happen in the webdemo? Nothing can be moved around, other than a falling object there are no puzzles as far as I can see. Is one supposed to be able to move the basketball or the box or the shelf? The one hint points to one of the brackets holding the shelf up but this does not react to a mouse click or a key press. Whatever these are supposed to be you best explain them, give instructions etc. If they're just to showcase a falling object and the collisions, fine, but explain this otherwise people ooking at your demo will get the wrong impression. Much like I have.

3. Dreeka

Dreeka

Webplayer should work okay now. You should place the items from the toolbox to the level. The toolbox can be opened by pressing the button on the buttom right of the screen.

4. sicga123

sicga123

Works fine now. Possibly this was a misunderstanmding on my part so maybe you should add a few short instructions. Looks really good. Definitely buy a copy as soon as I can. Nice work.

5. p6r

p6r

The design is perfect ! The physics is perfect ! The idea is perfect !
    So, I think all is... perfect !!! :)

6R

6. sicga123

sicga123

@Dreeka - any chance of giving the price for the kit?

7. Dreeka

Dreeka

The price is $55.

8. sicga123

sicga123

Ok, thanks. I'll pick one up the moment it gets released, hopefully, the asset store will pull their finger out and approve it soon.

9. timdevil

timdevil

Does this work on mobile devices? And it looks like a complete amazing alex ripoff. I think using this kit will violate Rovio's license rights.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  10. Dreeka

Dreeka

2D Physics Puzzle Kit is available to the asset store!

timdevil:
    The kit does not work with touch input, and does not adopt to different resolutions at the moment. These will be added in the first update.

About the ripoff. Amazing alex is not the first game to use balls and pipes in physics games. Also, Rovio cant copyright game ideas, so this kit is not violating anything.

When we created the kit, we had 2 types of people in mind. The people who wish to learn, and the people who wish to create physics based puzzle games.

When someone wants to create his own physics puzzler, this kit is a great start. The main features are in the kit, like item placement, level modes, behaviour templates, and so on. The kit is quite modular, so it is easy to change the items and game logic, or create entirely custom ones. The art can be easily replaced as well to give a new/unique setting and feel to the kit.

11. VectorNector

VectorNector

The guy clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. I will keep an eye on this kit. Great work!

12. sicga123

sicga123

Already picked it up. Looks really good.

13. timdevil

timdevil

Thank you for your reply! I do understand your concerns but it's not just about the game idea but the interface.
    It really looks like a rip-off with just some texture changes (compare sidemenu, buttons in sidemenu, how items rotate, item pickup, etc).
    Though your kit looks very professional compared to others in this unity store.

14. johnny12345

johnny12345

great kit just bought it , haven't had chance to test the scenes on an iphone or ipad yet ,one obvious thing I see is the small ball doesn't rotate,and what updates are planned for the future,id like some fixed balloons where you would press them to expel air to move objects, also tap screen to make ball jump and a conveyor belt that would carry items along its path
    also an inclusion of NGUI would be appreciated as at the moment you average 24 draw calls where as having NGUI call all the objects you could reduce that down to 2 or 3

thank you

15. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Cool Package... Performance on Mobile is really crucial for me.

Can this work with Daikon Forge ?

16. Acumen

Acumen

Thank you guys for your purchase - means a lot after 4 months of extrahard work (with more downs than ups) to get acknowledged for that !

johnny12345, we were hoping that our customers would come up with new items we could/should implement. The conveyor belt definitely seems interesting, as well as the air pushing device. We'll note it down on our roadmap for sure !
    If anyone has additional ideas for items just drop it in here :)

And to adress the amazing alex references. For sure there are various similarities, we studied and implemented some of these polished tiny UI details to demonstrate that these things can make a difference in an actual game. We wanted to leave it out, at first, because it was just too much work and meant more and more delay, but especially UI is something people often totally ignore in their games. We learned a lot about the small details for ourselves and as Dreeka said, it's about the learning experience we wish to convey with the kit. We strip the game down to the essentials so it serves as a base of thought, inspiration and research and people put their own spin on it, make changes, additions and leave stuff out.
    Just lately we saw a good handful of awesome games that were done with our Infinite Runner Toolkit. We believe that offering more than just "programmer-art" gives a much better insight in how stuff is supposed to work and behave like.

We would love to find out what you come up with using this toolkit in one of your projects !

NGUI and Daikon Forge implementation should be a breeze to realize since we are using nothing but Unity's built-in toolsets. We decided to keep things separated so each and everyone can take what's best out of the current available toolsets without favoring anything.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  17. Toad

Toad

Are there any timescales for this update?

18. Dreeka

Dreeka

The update will be submitted in this or the next week.

19. pedroluis5

pedroluis5

hello, I bought this template so you can make games for ios and android. but your template uses the mouse as a means to play. when playing on an ipad I can not move right parts. Can you help me with some suggestions?

The template is incredible

thank you

20. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

Thanks for buying the kit!
    Mobile support (touch based input and multiple resolution support) will be added in the next update.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  21. peter_on

peter_on

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  22. Jianan-Xiao

Jianan-Xiao

I'm a new Unity3d developer, I really like this kit, and can I use all your assets in this kit to create a complete game and publish the game?

23. bravery

bravery

Hello,

I was reading the documentation of the kit, and the last part of creating new items need more clarifications maybe you can support the steps with screenshots might improve the process.

Also what is missing so far is how to utilize the kit to create a new tools with new capabilites like for example a how to create a rope, a hock, skyboards ...etc, please let us know how to utilize the backage to interoduce new tools with new functionality.

Thanks.

24. Dreeka

Dreeka

First of all, sorry for the late reply!

peter_on:
    It will be fixed in the next update.

Jianan Xiao:
    Yes, you can use every asset from the kit, and release it as your game.

bravery:
    If you would like to create new items, like a skyboard, you need the object base script (because every moving item needs it) and a new script, which is inherited from the PhysicsBase script. In this new script, you can create a new behavior for the object, and overwrite the Enable() and Reset() functions from the base class to match the new behavior (if needed).

25. DaniSanch

DaniSanch

Hi, I have sent a couple of emails with a series of consultations, if you do not mind I would like that could offer the answer because as I mentioned I run quite a hurry to travel themes, thanks.

26. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't available in the last few days. I have replied to every mail I have received now. If you need anything else, feel free to write again!

27. weilieschok

weilieschok

Hi Dreeka,

i jz bought the kit. could u tell me how is the play button manage to call up all the level sections?
    i didn't see any code tag to the play button in mainMenu scene.

Thank you.

28. mr_zog

mr_zog

Hi!

Looks really solid, BUT: when will the update be ready?
    Currently, items also disappear, if you try to place an item and it's red (e.g. cause blocked).

As soon as that's fixed, I'm buying!

Greets

29. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

Really sorry for the delay and silence! Had a big exam, along with a cold.

weilieschok:
    It is handled by the MainMenuManager script.

mr_zog:
    The next update with the mobile support and bug fixes will be submitted in the coming days.

30. UltraTM

UltraTM

Hello,

touch input works for me on android.
    But the screensize.
    the background in the game is not filled.

Comes there an update for this?

would be nice. Not fill Screen looks ugly^^

31. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,

The initial version does not support mobile input and resolution.
    These will be included in update 1.01, which will be submitted today or tomorrow.

32. UltraTM

UltraTM

When do you submit this?
    at the moment theres no update on the asset store?

THX

33. Dreeka

Dreeka

Update 1.01 has been submitted to the asset store, and it will be available soon!
    The update adds mobile support (with an aspect ratio based resolution manager), and fixes some bugs.

34. UltraTM

UltraTM

2 Days and even not in asset store downloadable. How long this takes at Unity. ^^

35. nickthegreek

nickthegreek

Unfortunately version 1.01 has more bugs. Now the play button on Unity does not work. Also touch on mobiles are still broken. At least that is the case with my Galaxy Nexus. Touch input does not work well on my case. Any feedback from the developer since he does not answer my emails...

36. Dreeka

Dreeka

Update 1.01 has been released to the asset store!!!

$physics_kit_update.jpg

nickthegreek:
    To make the butons work in unity, you simply has to unchech the use touch thick on the input manager. To see the input manager, click on the Overlord gameobject inside unity. The touch input works well on my Huawei Ascend Y300. If you would like to increate the "touch" area of the objects, you can add an input helper collider to them, like I did with the shelfs.

About the not response thing. I have received your email 6 hours ago. In that email, you refer to an other email, which I did not received. Sometimes, it can take 2-3 days to get my answer. However, I always answer, and just like with the kits, I give my mind, and my hearth to give the best.

If someone has not receive an answer in 3 days, then you should send another, or ask in the forums.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  37. nickthegreek

nickthegreek

Dreeka

Thanks for the reply. I have sent you two emails, one 20 days ago and one today. As I developer myself I don't expect to reply at once but 20 days is a long time. Anyway it doesn't matter any more since you replied and said that you haven't received it. So, it is ok for me.

When donwloaded the new version I quickly run through the documentation and I didn't find anything about the "Use touch" option so I thought that it will work the same as before. Then I had to look at the code to discover that there is a new boolean "use touch" that has to be disabled in order to test the game in Unity! What a waste of time. A single line in the documentaion for the new version would have saved so much time for your users.

Anyway thanks for the reply,
    Nick

38. Dreeka

Dreeka

nickthegreek:
    You can disable it in the inspector, so you dont have to read the code for it. But you are right about the documentation, I will update it ASAP.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  39. UltraTM

UltraTM

The documentation is really good.

But to make more Levels it would be also good. That we can add easyli more level pages.
    im not so the coder. Thats a bit hard for me now.
    maybe you can help how to do this?

40. Dreeka

Dreeka

I can add a second, example page in the next update.

41. UltraTM

UltraTM

Would be very nice :)
    Because im a new Unity3d developer. And would be nice to learn that.
    Or you can post what i need to change in the code to get a second page.
    Because dont know when you plan your next update?

42. Dreeka

Dreeka

The next update will be released after the runner update.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  43. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

I just got this kit yesterday and it's great (though a bit tricky for me since I am new to Unity). I managed to get a few levels made really easily after a bit of fiddling. I am planning on making a full game with this, but with my own graphics, and slightly altered physics items.

I have a few ideas for new objects for the kit (including a few already mentioned in this thread):
    * rope (that can swing and/or be tied to other items)
    * teleporter (drop an item in and it comes out of a matching teleporter somewhere else)
    * sticky floor (e.g. a ball will get stuck, so you have to avoid it)
    * catapult/cannon (activate a trigger of some kind to launch a projectile)
    * air blower
    * conveyor belt
    * pendulum (something that swings and can hit other items)

Excellent kit!

EDIT:
    One more thing I'd like to see: some way of differentiating between an object the player has put on the screen and an object that is a fixed part of the level (e.g. a shelf that the level designer placed and a shelf that the player placed from the toolbox). This would make it a bit less fiddly with more complex levels. It drove me mad sometimes on Amazing Alex.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  44. Dreeka

Dreeka

Thanks for your opinion and ideas! We will consider them in the next update.
    When you finish your game, please post something about it in this topic, we really like to see what people did with our kits! :)

45. UltraTM

UltraTM

When comes the update? Still waiting ti make new levels with a second page example ^^

46. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hey,
    I will do it as soon as possible.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  47. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

I think support for multiple goals would be great (e.g. getting *2* objects into the box). I might try adding this myself if the code is straight-forward enough...maybe just a matter of turning the goals into an array and waiting until all are achieved?

48. widebeam

widebeam

I'm sorry, must be really dumb here but is the Overlord' game object you mention a typo? Can not find Overlord anywhere! Really struggling to get the GUI to respond inside unity without this. Please can you post screenshots of step by step where to go to un-tick this 'use touch' checkbox?

[EDIT- found OVERLORD in left on the level scenes and that works now. There was no OVERLORD in the main menu so I copied it over from a level, untucked 'use touch' then on the right I used 'add component' to add Main Manager (Script) and chose 'LevelSelet' [sic] in the Level Select field and added the Level Select scene.
    After that levels would not load as got errors saying the level scenes were not added to the build. So i opened each scene in turn and then used the build window to 'add current' to the build and hey presto it all worked! All 'use touch' will need to be unticked in every scene in the game - bit annoying - can a detection of what platform it is running on simply override this setting eg if it detects is running in Unity then set this to false thus negating the need for multiple 'use touch' check boxes?]

[EDIT 2! Found that using the exit to menu button in a level means on return to the main menu the play button is now not working - maybe something needs resetting on return to menu this way (seems ok when heading back from level select) or maybe my crude fix is not the best way]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  49. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

My game is suddenly suffering from an issue. Some toolbox items can't be placed on the game screen. I get the red feedback when nothing is colliding with the object. I have not changed any prefabs or scripts before this started happening, and it doesn't happen consistently enough to see an obvious pattern.

Sometimes returning the item to the toolbox and trying again will work, but sometimes I cannot proceed in a level at all because I can't place anything. For example I have a level with 3 'corner pipe' items in the toolbox. The first one can be placed, but the 2nd and 3rd just will not give me a green feedback circle no matter where I try to place it.

Any ideas? Is this a known bug?

EDIT: FWIW the bug doesn't exist when playing within Unity, but does on my (Windows RT) tablet.I suddenly got the issue after everything working fine until now.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  50. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can i make a puzzle bigger then one screensize?
    Maybe with a precam that shows the whole level before it start.
    IU just ask because in the demos all levels are exact one screensize and i read about the automatic screenresolution matching.