Search Unity

Glitches/crash on OpenGL ES 3.0 devices when built with Open GL ES 2.0

Discussion in 'Android' started by Wom, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Wom

Wom

No problems in my game when when running on PC/OS X/iOS.

Upgraded to Unity 4.3, everything was going fine - tested with a Nexus 1, Nexus 7 (2012), iPad 2 and iPad Air - no problems.

Then I tried it out on some friends more modern Android devices and got graphical glitches and/or game crashes on every one.
    The devices tested were:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3
    - Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    - HTC One
    - Sony <... something, I think Xperia>

I also finally this week got my hands on my own Nexus 5... and got the same graphical glitches (mostly with the rendering of NGUI textures).
    Yay - now I have a device I can reproduce the problem on!

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL_ES; of the Android devices I'm seeing problems with, all of them support Open GL ES 3.0

What I've seen is that when I build the game targeted at Android with Graphics Level at Open GL ES 3.0 - the game works on my Nexus 5!
    I've only reproduced on the Nexus 5 so far - but I'm pretty confident I'm on the right track.

When I revert back to Open GL ES 2.0, the game starts glitching again - successful reproduction, problem solved!

But now what? I had just assumed anything that supported ES 3.0 would support ES 2.0. Is this a bug that can be fixed by Unity - or is this a choice I have to make between ES 3 and ES 2 Android devices? Is anyone else seeing this - maybe I'm doing something crazy with my shaders or something?

Is there a way to switch between Open GL versions on the fly, or do I need to make multiple versions if I want my game to run on a 2012 Nexus 7 and a Nexus 5?

----

2013-12-06 Edit:
    I found this post about multithreaded rendering, which seems more likely the cause of this problem: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/211913-4-3-Multithreaded-rendering-crashes-when-running-on-device

For info though if it helps anyone, this week I tried out an "OpenGL ES 3.0" build on two of the devices listed above:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 - didn't run at all; I think because it doesn't actually support ES 3, which blows my "ES 2 build running on ES 3 capable devices" theory out of the water anyway
    - HTC One - rendering was absolutely fine; this is one of the devices that the game actually crashed on last week when it was build with ES 2 + multithreaded rendering

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. SkaiCloud

SkaiCloud

Nope your not crazy. I'm getting the same issue with Samsung Note 3 and S4. I don't no if this is unity issue but when I disable ALL Ngui gui and build to ES 2 the game runs fine of course with no GUI! Once I turn on my gui cam back on and build to ES 2, graphical error glitch and eventually crash. I think it has something to do with NGUI panel sorting layer. I hope someone can solve this issue, I'm going to post on NGUI as well.

3. Wom

Wom

I run NGUI too and was able to avoid the issue by disabling the GUI.
    I think it's possible it might be related to multi-threading and having multiple cameras (NGUI uses a second camera).
    But I'm not willing to try and diagnose it (not after the answer on the thread I linked) - I just switched off multi-threaded rendering and got on with my development.

Does switching off multi-threaded rendering not help for you?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  4. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

heads up: NGUI bugs with OpenGL ES2 multi-threaded rendering should be fixed in 4.5.2 Patch 3 (to be released soonish).
    Please try it out when it is available

5. hectorAtPetro

hectorAtPetro

6. 3adnaan

3adnaan

Arabic letters not rendering on devices with OpenGL ES 3 like Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.
    Any help please !
    Thanks in advance