Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Martania™ "The Fall of the red planet" (Future Forward FPS)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Goregaming, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Goregaming

Goregaming

Martania™ "The Fall of the red planet" is SCI-FI FPS that is in very early stages. We decided to showcase the little we have done on unity forums so we can get members to join and become a part of the project.

Story

It was the year 2543 and Earth was far more evolved than it was before. All natural
    resources had run out. The universe had found a much more efficient way of living.
    In the year 2486 a man by the name Leith Adams discovered a new far more
    powerful fuel in Jupiter that could power anything the human race desired ,but the
    only problem was in the universe were 2 sides of living creatures. The Marians and
    the Humans. And Martians also wanted the fuel for their needs, but the humans
    discovered it first. So they in-forced a law that no human shall pass through mars to
    get to Jupiter.
    For years the two sides battled for this fuel, the battle was the greatest battle ever
    seen. It left a name of “the battle of the galaxy” because it was not like any other
    battle, this battle claimed the lives of many humans and Martians.
    The battle went on for years, until the Martians and humans decided that it was
    rather barbaric to wage a war that could not be won.
    The Martians and humans made an agreement that if anyone from earth trespassed
    to Jupiter (past Mars) to steal the fuel shall be killed and a war shall be brought upon
    their race. Mars also agreed to supplying earth with the fuel as long as they got
    slaves. Earth had no other choice as it was the only source of fuel they lived on.
    Everything was fine until…
    One man decided that it was not right for people to be traded for a fuel that the
    humans already found. Ashton Usher started a rebellion against Mars and it’s
    people. They raided the Martians Fuel bank, stole fuel and tried to over-ride the
    Martians. Many from the clan where captured in-prisoned and killed as the numbers
    of soldiers were in proportionate. The clan went by the name “The Golden retrievers”
    The leader of the clan (Ashton Usher) in-prisoned and found guilty of Mass murder,
    theft and Rule Breaking. He was charged with execution. Mars declared war against
    Earth. 2 days before execution Ashton had a helping hand from a clan member who
    supplied him with a Bug that tazzed people. With this he could escape out of prison,
    return to earth and prepare for battle!!

Character 1- Officer
    The Officers are the most easy to kill in this game. This type does not have any special abilities. They obtain an assault rifle each. And have the ability to melee attack when you come close to them.
    Health Level: 100

Character 2- Swat
    Swats do not have any special abilities. They carry a riot shield and an assault rifle . Swats are very deadly at long range as they can place a shield down and shoot you. Soldiers guard the outside star gates of the Sectors. Player will not come across them until the escape of the prison . Soldiers moves are unpredictable and they are heavily equipped with assault rifles, snipers grenades and Shields they are very hard to kill HEALTH : 250

Character 3 – Blazer
    Martians are not resistant to fire, fire is their only weakness. Blazers found in the game are Martians that obtain heavy fire resistant amour. They carry high tech flame throwers that can kill you almost instantly. Blazers can be avoided. At long range they are very useless. The player will be informed to stay away as possible from Blazers. The greater the distance between the blazer the more the advantage.
    HEALTH : 130

Character 4- Tachýtita

Tachytitas carry two primary weapons in either hands. Having the ability to swiftly dodge player bullets. The only reason being that they are fast is because they have barley any amour this makes them easy to kill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Theunitycritic

Theunitycritic

If you do not mind me asking, how many teams are within Goregaming. You seem to be running two projects at once surley there must be more people. Apart from that I think the story is quite original. Is this going to be linear or free roam sort of type, and will the entire game be set in prison. When will gameplay do you have plan this or randomly make things as you go along?

3. Goregaming

Goregaming

Thank you very much for your questions

Yes we have more than 1 team within Goregaming, the game will be linear and it will be set in prison. We will have proper gameplay soon. We also plan our work before executing it.

4. Goregaming

Goregaming

$unnamed.jpg These are our new characters concept made by Oneil Grandison. We will release specs soon

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  5. Goregaming

Goregaming

$Environment concept art.jpg

This is our concept done by Oneil Grandison.

6. NoobFPSDude

NoobFPSDude

Looks promising, but what r you hoping to aim for? High level graphics, or r you more focused on gameplay? I'm wondering because the concepts look incredible, like near AAA good, but is the game going to end up looking like that? I'm not a 'graphics sell me or turn me off' kind of guy. I'm just wondering. :D

7. Goregaming

Goregaming

The graphics are going to be exactly as shown. The game is channelling towards looking like that. This is an indie game, but we hope to make it look as AAA as possible.

8. Goregaming

Goregaming

$Environment concetp art 2.jpg $Mars Soldier designs.jpg We have new Environment concepts and character concepts. All done by Oneil Grandison.

9. jmatthews

jmatthews

Concept art is very cool. The actual level will be pretty wild with that much emissive material.

10. Goregaming

Goregaming

Indeed it is. This means that our system requirements will not be suitable for those with laptops or bad desktop pc's unless the graphics card and the ram meet the requirements.

11. Goregaming

Goregaming

$image.jpg Prison Guard concepts

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  12. Myhijim

Myhijim

Concept art looks amazing, but that can't be all of it can it....

Any progress on modelling, animation or programming?

13. Goregaming

Goregaming

There will be an update soon enough. The models are looking good but, before we show them off. It must be perfect.

14. GeneBox

GeneBox

The art is... different, looks pretty cool though.

15. Goregaming

Goregaming

Thank you, our concept artist has worked really hard.

16. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

Yeah, obviously. Personally I love stylized concepts. So many people believe that the preproduction works are simply paintings of the characters/locations but they are so much more: Architectural drafting, color profiling and general aesthetic roughing. The crazier and more imaginative the art is, the more variety the production department has to work with. Love it.

17. Goregaming

Goregaming

Thank you, your thoughts and input is much appreciated.

18. IcHoRELiTE

IcHoRELiTE

Concept art looks nice, watching this.

19. gsokol

gsokol

So far all the concepts just seem really noisy. There are so many details that there is nowhere for the eyes to rest, and seemingly no purpose for much of the details. Maybe your concept guys could try mixing in some larger surfaces with all the crazy detail...would read better.

20. primus88

primus88

Came here to say this. As for the rest, the project looks promising!

21. Goregaming

Goregaming

The whole idea of the crazy detailed concept art is to give it a futuristic feel. The crazy detail makes it very original. Games that possibly have similar Ai and character design is Blacklight Retribution and Killzone. If you look at the characters in both games they seem very similar. We are trying to avoid that by making detailed characters.

22. monsieur_alpha123121

monsieur_alpha123121

This seems like your going a bit to far ahead of yourself for a indie game. But saying that i wish you the best of luck and i hope it looks as good ingame.

23. Goregaming

Goregaming

Thank you.

24. Goregaming

Goregaming

$image.jpg

This was basic character blocking done by our 3d modeller. This model will be complete shortly.

25. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Looks cool. Will it be open world?

I'm making a mars game too.

26. login4donald

login4donald

Keeping a good eye on this and I'm not even into shooters lol :) Keep it up.

27. Goregaming

Goregaming

Its a jailbreak game pretty much.
    I like mars games

28. MasonGaming

MasonGaming

This looks very promising!

29. KineticIons

KineticIons

Thanks for the constructive input and feedback. I will consider this in the future. Although I have seen many concept design work that are by far more detail that mine, done by well known professionals in the industry. You may want to have a look at Feng Zhu Designs and also George Hull's work for the Matrix, as well as Ben Procter's work for Transformers. Their artwork have way more going on than mine. Thank's again. Your comments are highly appreciated.

30. Goregaming

Goregaming

$image.jpg

The Prision Guard

Health: 120
    The first enemy AI that is seen at the start of the game outside the cell.
    Abilities: Melee attack at close range. Fast runners(Light Weight)
    Immune to fire. Instant kill with electricity.

31. Cheburek

Cheburek

interesting concept art, I imagine sculpting every single segment must be pain in the behind! :D

32. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

The uhh, story seems a little flimsy in my opinion. Something about it just seems a little too generic? P.s "Golden Retrievers" I can just picture a bunch of dogs flying through space in suits xD Anyways, keep up on it man, looking good!

33. Goregaming

Goregaming

I agree. You are the only person that realised the "Golden Retrivers" bit :') The clan is subject to change. It's just there as a place holder whilst I think of some other name.

34. Natso

Natso

Somethings not quite right here.

Not to sound discouraging or condescending, but you'd think that someone who took their project so seriously would exhibit a bit more tact.

I'm also concerned about the scope of it all. I'm assuming that you guys don't have funding. Were that correct, the story is (-->)probably(<--) way too in-depth for a start-up developer to portray through any meaningful story telling. You guys probably (there's that word again), won't have the luxury of detailed cut-scenes. The art looks a bit noisy, but it's nice nonetheless. I'm just afraid of how that will transition into the game, and how much more precious time would be spent on that amount of detail.

My suggestion would be to shrink the scope. Don't focus on the story, and maybe simplify the art. Those two aspects alone seem to be taking up so much more attention than they should for a studio starting from the ground up. Please note that when I say to "simplify" the art, I'm not asking you to make it generic. There are plenty of games with simple art-styles that still look very beautiful, and undoubtedly took less time to create than what you guys are hoping to achieve.

I know it's not what you'd like to hear, but I'd hate for you guys to spend another year on the game, just to realize you may have bitten off more than your team could chew. I know because it's happened to me.

Regardless of your proceedings, I wish you good luck!

Tough Love,

Nätso

35. Goregaming

Goregaming

Natso you are correct in some bits of your statement. The entire game is set in prison. So don't worry to much about failure as it will be a simple basic jailbreak game with a bit of dialogue here and there. We will not have luxurious cutscenes of course.There is no need for cutscenes. All there will be is a bit of NPC dialog and animations .
    You are too much on "the outside" to judge on what we are doing with this project. This is an indie game. But efforts to make it better can be made.

Already been said. But thanks for the input.
    I am not sure I quite understood that. The story has been written already, if you're talking about in-game aspects and how it relates to the story, it's a prison break game.

It's happened to all of us, but we learn from our mistakes. This is why we are trying to make this simple.

In conclusion, we are trying to make the mechanics and in game experience simple. We are trying our best to focus on the environment. Having an amazing environment and a simple walk through will make the game amazing. We hope to focus on every department equally, weather it is story,character models, animation , GDD , ect... and put in to the best of our efforts.

I do appreciate your concerns raised , but don't worry we will be fine.
    Thank you for your time and your constructive criticism.
    - Michael

36. Natso

Natso

I'm sorry if I seemed a bit abrasive, however I am just as much "on the outside" as anyone else in the thread, whom I may add, you are asking to join you in development. I believe my criticisms were completely fair.

I personally wouldn't focus on environment over Gameplay Mechanics (especially with little to no funding) but it's your game, I can't tell you what to do with it. For all I know, you may create the best game that the indie scene has ever witnessed! I just know that from what I personally gathered, it seemed like a lot.

The focus on story was just an impression I got. It was, in fact, half of the first post. I didn't intend to stir up any negative emotions. I hope I didn't come across as such. My intentions were purely cordial. Plus, if I produced these thoughts, I'm more than likely not the only one. I'm just giving you a stranger's perspective.

I'd just like you to know that I mean no ill-will. I do wish your team the best in their endeavors, and hope you can see me as someone trying to help.

Good luck!

37. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

That model looks really high poly. How did you get it to look that good or is it high poly?

38. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

How many people do you have in the team?

39. Goregaming

Goregaming

No, I understand where you were coming from. Your criticism was completely fair and my apologies if I sounded a bit rude. I understand, really. I appreciate your thoughts and your help.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  40. Goregaming

Goregaming

6 People

41. Goregaming

Goregaming

It's high poly and our 3d modeller did it

42. MasonGaming

MasonGaming

Following this, it has great potential.

43. Goregaming

Goregaming

$image.jpg

Here is the Tachytita Enemy model. Improvements are being made.

44. Goregaming

Goregaming

45. Goregaming

Goregaming

$image.jpg Plasma Canon gun model is done.

46. Kelde

Kelde

Concept artist should approach the characters in a completely diffrent way, i think it would help the designs alot.

I can tell by looking at these that the details went in from the getgo, at sketchphase, im pretty sure im not wrong here. Then he started rendering those out along with everything else, resulting in a "messy" look because theres almost no way to know how light would hit all those, id have problems myself.

Whenever i do armor design, i do it ontop of "naked" mannekins, wrap large shapes around the characters to see what works.

The clue is to start with the large shapes, get those in place first. Large armor pieces like Pauldrons, Chest and so on,and shade them towards a main lightsource (usually top down for concept art, or spot on).Then after u apply the smaller shapes and detailes because its just so much easier to deal with them when u have the base covered.

47. gsokol

gsokol

I'd like to respectfully disagree with this. If they are subtle and you have to focus to see them, then they aren't large reads or focal points. Also, this is definitely your work, and you should do it however you want....but maybe consider the fact that multiple people are pointing out the same thing with some of the work you guys are doing. I think one of the hardest things to learn as an artist is that "less is more."

For the character sculpts, its hard to tell how the proportions read...it looks like you might have perspective turned off in those shots? if not...the Tachytita Enemy model has some realllly tiny hands. Also his arms are quite short.

Also, are you sure that the plasma Cannon gun is finished? It looks like its mostly using simple colored materials...no real texture to it. I'd be curious to see if you have a concept...as it is now, I can't see how this gun could even be operated or how it works. Obviously its not a realistic rifle...but it loses any believability when the design is so foreign.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  48. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I'm not a visual artist, but I like the concept art.

I think the people involved in making the game can immediately tap into the essence of the "world" being expressed in these visuals, and they have a much better chance of creating something congruent.

49. gsokol

gsokol

I dunno man. Ben Procters transformers work does combine high frequency detail with low frequency detail quite well...you might not be seeing it quite the same way as I am. Take a look at these concepts:

http://www.transformers2.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ben_procter_osprey.jpg
    http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ben_procter_rotf_20.jpg

I mean...yea sure, theres definitely a bit of high frequency detail going on...but its parts that are underneath and between plating. The paneling serves as an area to give the eyes rest...and really makes the high frequency stuff stand out more, honestly.

Same thing with the link from your past teacher or whatever. Besides maybe one character, all the rest have the same characteristics.

And certainly, I'm sure people like your work and are happy with it...thats totally cool. I'm not trying to dismiss their opinions. I'm referring to people who brought up similar points in this thread. Theres really no need to be defensive...its just a critique.

Also, as for the focal point stuff that is probably a little bit more geared towards the environment concepts...and if you think that things like focal points and reads are not important....then you might be limiting yourself a little bit. All the "true pros" are very well versed in composition, and they realize its important to any piece. (again..more directed to the environment stuff..)

Honestly...it seems to me like your quite closed off to any feedback right now...your going straight into defensive mode. You yourself said you are still learning (which is good), but it seems like your keeping your mind pretty closed off. Its unfortunate that any critique that comes your way immediately gets shot down without any consideration. Thats cool though, at this point it seems like I'm wasting my time offering any critique so I'll back off.

Good luck on the project tho :) Keep at it!

50. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I agree with George. Not even sure what to look at when I see your character. So much.

Deleted User likes this.