Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuse, Modo/ACS, Unity/Mecanim

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by atmuc, Nov 27, 2013.

1. atmuc

atmuc

Model is generated by Mixamo Fuse. Rigged my Modo/ACS. Animated by Unity Mecanim using Unity Raw Mocap animations.

http://youtu.be/Nw3laDhjPYs

2. rubu

rubu

Hi atmuc,

That's a really neat result. Watched the video. Congratulations. I really like the look of Modo, and would love for it to be my tool of choice for animation, and make something as good as that.

Would you be so kind as to either demonstrate this workflow, very briefly / roughly in a video... or even just lay out some more of the step-by-step instructions?

Alternatively, maybe you could just answer a simple question, which might be just as useful for me:

Can an .fbx file from Modo contain bones that can be "seen" or "found" by Unity, when imported into Unity? (Like, if I export an .fbx file containing a small mesh, and a handful of bones within the mesh, will Unity be able to see or find the bones?)

(I ask this last question, because the Unity Manual does not list bones, or bone-based animations, as being included in a Modo export. Whereas all the other software listed, Maya, C4D, 3DSM, LightWave and Blender, all list bones as being included in their exports. Link to this below... So, how was your animation done with mecanim, if bones aren't included in a Modo export?)

LINK: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectModo.html

Thanks for any advice you're able to offer the community! :)

3. atmuc

atmuc

Hi Rubu,

Unity can read/import modo files(.lxo) directly. so no need to convert it. Unity can import bones and animation from modo. mecanim can automatically or manually map your bones to it's default bone set. then you can apply your animations to your character. bone names are not so important. hierarchy must be correct.