Search Unity

Env - Abstract survival game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Adrianis, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Adrianis

Adrianis

Env is a first-person abstract survival platformer game

The foundation of the gameplay is a physics simulation in which I generate a very large flat grid of brick shaped objects, which get pulled apart / sucked up by 2 different physics actors with different behaviors - one a giant beam in the sky sucking things up, and the other a ball which flies around pulling everything in toward it. These are implemented with a modified version of Circular Gravity Force by Lanemax (http://u3d.as/content/lane-max/circular-gravity-force/4tu)

You play an insignificant avatar in first person, and you have to move around this environment, not falling into the 'water' whilst collecting bits of 'food' in order to not starve, and grabbing bits of 'tech' to upgrade your speed jump, making it easier to not die!

IndieDB page is up, with downloads for PC Mac

Additionally, the code I've written for this project can be seen here in case anyone is interested, excluding any code from standard packages / paid-for packages

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. primus88

primus88

Well that is original, I have to give you that. Also it is like orgasm for my eyes watching that ray wrecking havok.
    If I might add, I think that the sphere though it's pretty un-interesting compared to the ray. Maybe you should design them like Yin-Yang.
    One destroying the lands and the other trying to pull it back together. An eternal strife between the two.
    I think it will be a challenge to make it optimized, entertaining and long enough to keep the player satisfied.

3. Adrianis

Adrianis

Hehe thanks primus88 :)

I like your suggestion, I did originally plan to have it so you could directly reverse the effects of both the beam and the sphere. I quickly realised that idea, like yours, would probably make it more fun, but it wouldn't be coherent with theme - there aren't 2 opposing forces, there is nothing trying to pull it back, and the changes are irreversible. I'm not trying to make money with this, so I'd rather the meaning of it be internally consistent then the whole game be more entertaining. That can come later :p

That said, I'm certainly not trying to avoid it being entertaining! It's been... challenging to keep it optimized, draw calls are super low if shadows are off, but the physics calcs are obviously fairly significant. All the pieces in the grid are Kinematic until they are being affected by one of the actors, which pretty much saves the day. As far as being long enough, you have to survive for 6 minutes for the game to end, it's not intended to be long, but its challenging enough that it'll likely take a good few runs to complete

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. johnb2

johnb2

I just had an eye-gasm. Awesome, glorious!

/follow

5. Adrianis

Adrianis

Thanks johnb2, glad you liked it
    I'm happy to provide eye-pleasure whenever/wherever possible

6. GeneBox

GeneBox

Very cool!

7. virror

virror

Insanely cool : D

8. Adrianis

Adrianis

Thanks guys :)

I've updated the OP with links to playable builds. Would really appreciate some feedback!

9. Kinos141

Kinos141

I LOVE IT!!!! It's looks great and is a great idea!!! My suggestion make sure the distance between platforms is not farther than the players furthest jump. That might mean putting a clamp on the distance of newly created objects!!! HOwever, I haven't played it yet, but willl

AGAIN, LOVE IT and thank you for the code!!!!

10. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

Very cool concept, I can see how this could be adapted to become an analogy of.. Life and death, perhaps. Or the finality/inevitability of dying. It might sound like quite a depressing theme, but with the right visual style and atmosphere, it could turn into something very intriguing. Artsy even, for lack of a better word. I dig the world destroying super beam, it's equally fascinating and terrifying. :D

11. Adrianis

Adrianis

@ Kinos141 - Glad you liked it :) Thanks for the suggestion, when the game starts all the pieces are together in a block, and they are moved around dynamically when being affected by the physics - so the distance between them is not something I intend to try and control

@ Perpetual Diversion - Thanks! I'm no visual artist, so I don't really know how to represent this kind of theme as a visual style. I am a programmer however, so I've worked instead to represent the theme in the behaviour interaction of the gameplay systems. I'm not opposed to having a visual style to back it up, but I lack the skillset needed for it, however I do like your suggestion (I'm definitely into depressing themes :)).

It does, however, already have an analogy - my impression of our environment the forces acting on it changing it - to represent the kind of theme your suggesting I would re-design the mechanics to support that. That being said, I'm really glad to see someone takes a different interpretation of it! Thanks again

edit: btw I checked out your site, some really good looking stuff there, do any of those projects have playable builds available?

12. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

@Adrianis: Me too, depressing themes are strangely compelling. Not in a depressing way though, more like in a fascination-way. :)

Oh yeah, that makes sense now that you mention it! That's the cool thing about subtle/interpretative themes, people project different meaning to it. Most often something that is similar or at least relatable to the actual theme.

Thanks for the comment and for taking a look at my site! :D The only one I've got a build for is Mortal Spire. I might be able to get a build of Eira's Tale up too, the rest are WIP or lost in the void somewhere.

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Wow. Phenomenal. Well done!

Seriously, that's so awesome and yet simple that I want to riff on it myself.

14. sti4thewin

sti4thewin

I've only seen the video but I will try it out once i get back home. So simple but so awesome! dem physics

15. Lemo76

Lemo76

Simply Awesome. I'll give you that!

16. Adrianis

Adrianis

Thanks guys, really pleased to hear people like it

@angrypenguin - Sounds good, please do! I'd be interested to see what you come up with

@sti4thewin - Cool! let me know what you think of the game when you do

I'm currently testing a final build, representing about 7 weeks worth of work, which I'll post up when it's done, along with a new video.
    It has mostly the same features as the build in the OP, with some tweaked gameplay, extra sounds, slightly better performance some bug fixes.

For anyone that has not already, go read this thread, the advice there is invaluable

17. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Looks really cool Adrianis. Grats!
    Gigi

18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Rad. :D

I'll finish my current project first, but I really do love this idea, and I've already come up with a couple of mechanics which I think would go really well with it.

19. Adrianis

Adrianis

Just updated the OP with new links to the (tentatively) finished build, give it a go let me know if you have any issues / suggestions / feedback
    Should hopefully have a new video of a complete playthrough up soon! Been delayed by the start of a new project on a new frankly incredibly exciting engine (sorry Unity, I still love you I'll be back for you :))

@ Gigiwoo: Thanks, I appreciate it!

@ angrypenguin: Awesome, let me know what you come up with! It'd be cool to see, and maybe we'll get some cross-pollination of ideas going :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  20. gridside

gridside

It looks great! Good luck!

21. Adrianis

Adrianis

Thanks mate. I'm loving the look of Breed, good luck to you too :)

22. Adrianis

Adrianis

Updated the OP with a new video of a shortened version of the 'final' build. Of course, as soon as I decided it was final made the video I noticed a few annoying little things that totally-don't-need-but-will-be-anyway fixed
    Currently waiting for an IndieDB page to get authorised, during which time I'll make a few small changes do the final builds, then upload post a link

23. georetro

georetro

This sounds like a great game. However I feel that the new name is a bit too long. I feel it should be shorter, maybe stick with Env. I'm only one person so don't change your mind just because of me. This is just my opinion! Good luck on the project though :)

24. Meltdown

Meltdown

I think 'ENV' (all capitals) is a far more catchy name than 'Do you think the end of the world is coming'.

25. georetro

georetro

+1 I agree with this :)

26. deadfire52

deadfire52

This is crazy! Reminds me of This is the End.

27. Adrianis

Adrianis

Yeh, I think you guys are totally right. I want to try and make long names work, but this isn't right game or name for it :p Thanks

28. Adrianis

Adrianis

Updated OP with a link to the IndieDB page, it has a download for PC 64bit.
    32bit Mac downloads should be available shortly

29. TheShane

TheShane

Looks really interesting! Still waiting for the 32-but or the Mac build before I can try it though.

The sphere seems to not have much of an effect. Might be neat if it did repulsion instead of attraction and would go above and below the surface leaving gaping pits/mounds. Sometimes it could travel just under the surface for that sandworm/tremors effect.

There is something really compelling about how the physics is frozen--almost like time is stopped--in between the actions of the destructive forces. You get these interesting snapshots of destruction. I'm probably going to have to "borrow" (i.e. steal) from this idea at some point in the future. Not quite sure how yet. ;)

30. Adrianis

Adrianis

Thanks TheShane, the 32bit Mac builds are up now!

Sounds like that suggestion for the sphere could be cool but, it acts the way it does now for a reason, changing it would change what it represents and I don't particularly want to do that :)

The objects being frozen when not affected was originally a technical necessity (for performance reasons), but your right the effect is compelling I grew to like it over the course of development

31. Spelle

Spelle

Very original concept! Adrianis, you should make it into fully fledged game :) Just imagined the possibilities and I think it may become something very compelling.

32. Adrianis

Adrianis

Thanks Spelle, if I can think of a good way to expand it, I will :)

33. anszwa

anszwa

Very cool idea, good luck with that project!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  34. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

Looks fun to play once the real graphic is there.

Somehow it remind me of "The Reaper" when they attack the Earth in Mass Effect 3.

35. Adrianis

Adrianis

Thanks anszwa :)

You might be waiting a while for 'real' graphics :p
    (I think it's as real as it's gonna get)

36. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

Well, I'll keep myself busy while waiting. Haha :)

37. 0tacun

0tacun

Simple but fascinating! Very cool idea, it truely has a uncanny atmosphere, i like it! :)

38. OrbitusII

OrbitusII

Very cool, I feel like the giant attractor beam could be a great element for an alien abduction horror game, randomly appearing and trying to absorb you. :p

39. Zybox-Gaming

Zybox-Gaming

so simple but so fun?

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Love what you did here. Just mind boggling.

41. Adrianis

Adrianis

Thanks guys, I appreciate it :)

It's been out for just under 2 weeks now and I'm pretty pleased with the progress, few but good ratings, and some websites blogs have written unsolicited posts about it (including a spanish website that appears to be re-distributing it with their own installer, which is weird and slightly annoying, but flattering).

I'm confident that I know what worked and what didn't, now just need to figure out how / when to expand on it without detracting from what worked well, which is proving to be pretty difficult. There's a bunch of things I wanted to say with it that I didn't get in there with this first run, expanding on making more clear the core metaphor is going to be... challenging, what with no experience in the matter very few good examples to look at. Fun to try, though!

42. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Amazing concept, and very well executed!

This is great as it is... although once it's finished, I'd be curious to see a remake with some form of graphics implemented! See land and debris getting pulled by fancy beams, and such!

43. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Markiplier played it

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  44. Adrianis

Adrianis

Yeh right, thanks for letting me know. All the peaks troughs on the IndieDB stats page from previous weeks is now pretty much a straight line in face of the wall of downloads after this video.

Gotta love Lets Play'ers :)

45. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

This is awesome. Very simple and original but fun and interesting. xD