Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

#Unity3D News Podcast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yourHost, Nov 25, 2013.

1. yourHost

yourHost

Hey Unity World!

My name is Chris and I started a Unity News Podcast. It's an Podcast/Audio Blog where I read you the latest and Unity News and talk about my personal experiences and the ups and downs of being an indie developer. I also cover apps, my favorite assets and more.

You really never know what you're gonna get.

I know it sounds weird, and it probably is, but I came across the idea a couple of months ago when I was Googling an error i had in Unity.

While I was searching, I came across a blog post on the Unity Blog which I was really interested in and wanted to read. I started reading however, I only read about 2 or 3 sentences before stopping and continuing on trying to find the solution to my problem.

It's not that I didn't want to read it, but I just didn't want to take the time to read it at that particular time.

I eventually found how to fix the error I had, but I never got around to actually reading the blog post, and have since forgot which post it was.

Anyway, I thought to myself, I would totally listen to somebody else read the post to me. Being a huge fan of podcasts and other Audio Blogs, I thought of why not just do it myself?

I thought I could kill two birds with one stone. Why don't I just take the time to read the Unity Articles that interest me, and record it, upload it and make a podcast out of it.

The whole podcast is an experiment and is on a trial basis.

I don't really know if it will catch on or if there is a demand for it, but that's the fun of it. I'll keep publishing a daily Unity Podcast until at least the end of December. If it looks like there is a core audience and it is big enough, I'll keep podcasting.

If not, then game over. I still had fun doing it.

There's currently 22 episodes and steadily growing.

Give it a listen, you might love it, you might hate it, either way it's all good.

Enjoy!

Podcast Time!
    Follow me on Twitter.

2. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I like it, I think the concept, its great to have a Unity radio station of the sort, and just catch up and listening in on other people's opinion, gossip or whatnot while working on the project (without having to go to the forum AND read about it).

Personally, I think the execution can be better, and the content aspect can expand greatly beyond just Unity specific news. How about including gossips from the forum, bits of tutorials and tips, new asset store items to watch out for (you may even eventually get sponsorship!), and maybe new CG/game techniques that may eventually come to Unity, and maybe even just MUSIC between those contents that would be great for coding/working... You can even run this 24/7 like a radio station! I think that would be great!

3. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

It would be nice to have a video podcast along with the audio, even if it was just images. Also a link dump would be nice, where you link everything you talk about. Makes it easier for us. I love the idea though, lots of things to improve but you're on the right track.

Would also be nice if you uploaded these on Youtube.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Deleted User likes this.
  4. VacuumBreather

VacuumBreather

Uh, why iTunes only? I don't use iTunes.

5. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

+1

I personally don't like ITunes and therefore haven't installed it on my computer (runs terrible, keeps whining about things etc.) An alternative source would be great

6. Archania

Archania

Ya you just cut off anyone without itunes. Not a good move I think because I could listen to them at work if could access them on my Android phone.

7. yourHost

yourHost

The show is also on Stitcher, so you can listen that way if you like. Also thinking about putting them up on YouTube as well.

8. yourHost

yourHost

You can also listen right from your browser with the RSS Feed: http://unity3dnews.libsyn.com. Click on the show and the click the Pod button.

9. Archania

Archania

Listened to a couple of your shows. Not bad. You can expand it to include a lot of things - interviews with indie games, tips tricks for Unity, etc.

10. yourHost

yourHost

Thanks. Yes, I would love to have indie game devs on the show and do plan on expanding. If anybody wants to be on the show, just let me know. The downloads are steadily increasing, it'd be a great way to gain some exposure for yourself and your game.

11. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Saying "you're cutting off people without itunes" doesn't really make much sense. It is choice you make. iTunes is free. If you don't want it then I guess you're missing out. However, you can even listen to the podcast from the web url:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/unity3d-news/id737568986

12. carking1996

carking1996

I'll be tuning in!

13. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

You can also appeal to wider audience by hosting the show on live streaming platforms like USTREAM, LIVESTREAM or JUSTIN.TV.

http://www.justin.tv
    http://www.ustream.tv
    http://new.livestream.com

I highly recommend the Justin.tv because they have the IRC like chat system built-in.
    Also I think Youtube does live streaming now too isn't it? Or do they called it Google Hangout?

14. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Or Youtube. >.<

15. yourHost

yourHost

Thank you, I'll definitely considering those.

16. dxcam1

dxcam1

YouTube definitely.

17. yourHost

yourHost

Even if there's no video?

18. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Yes. Even if it's just a thumbnail.

19. yourHost

yourHost

Done, now on YouTube as well.

20. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Awesome, if you upload them to the channel daily I'll watch them more. I don't head over to twitter too much. Loving it, only thing I'd say missing is a Link Dump. Just a webpage or even just a list in the description from what you talked about. So as you're talking about it, we can check it out.

Deleted User likes this.
  21. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

The podcast has potential. Here's some feedback:

- Consider shortening the intro ident audio to <= 5 seconds
    - Guest interviews would add interest
    - Consider reducing to one podcast a week - you'll be able to be more choosy over posts covered and improve overall content quality
    - Consider summarising forum posts rather than reading verbatim
    - Consider highlighting what the next few minutes will be about with a leading sfx - folks listening while working may not be interested in certain subjects and can then shut off until the next section of the blog
    - Consider adding more audio idents for frequent sections like interviews, unity feedback, forum summary ( I think you did this once for kiss my asset )
    - YouTube would be the easiest for me to listen ( and you to chain shows together )

It's a big commitment, so kudos for giving it a shot. If it gains traction, consider editing for brevity, but for now it's fine.

22. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Listening to it right now, a suggestion I have is to reduce the amount of reading straight from the forum posts, seems to run on for too long, just summarize it but focus on the topic and information. When you read out a very VERY LONG quote / paragraph from the forum it is quite easy to lose track of the topic and lose interest.

Also, you don't really need to fluff the the show for things to say, like I said before, you could put music on (ambient, industrial, techno, light listening, whatever) and then come back to talk about some interesting topics, and go back to music if you run out of things to talk.... ;) Just prepare a list of interesting topics before hand and a playlist of music and I think you should be sweet!

Keep it up! I am looking forward for more! :)

23. yourHost

yourHost

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. :)

Thanks for listening.

24. TimBorquez

TimBorquez

I like podcasts that overview things fast and just direct me to the detailed info if I am interested in them. Also like DA BAWSS said breaking up the stuff with music could make it nice to listen to.
    PS Soundcloud is da bomb, I would do itunes + soundcloud and only link to them from youtube if it were me

25. droderick

droderick

Hi Chris,
    congrats on starting the podcast. As a new commuter I am excited by the idea of having a unity-focused podcast. Below is some feedback and although it may seem critical, just want to let you know - you have some great things going for you already.

Good stuff:
    1. You have a great personality/voice and sound very comfortable in front of a mic which is great. can't over emphasize this as it is either a skill you have or don't have.
    2. There's an interested audience ready to listen

Constructive Feedback:
    3. I'd suggest doing a one hour show once a week. Spend time organizing your thoughts and creating an outline for the show.
    4. Don't just read posts. It makes me think you aren't preparing for the show ahead of time. (you probably aren't preparing adequately if you're doing one of these every day.
    5. Get others involved in the show. This goes back to point #3. If you're shows are daily - you don't have time to line up others to become involved.
    6. Less complete reads on topics/news items. It's better to give an overview of things that are new allow listeners to do additional research on their own if it peaks their interest.
    7. Music - this is a personal preference - but i don't like your musical intro. It is too long (before VO starts) and feels very dated. (kinda 90's 4th of July barbecue music).
    8. Prepare for your shows. In one of your podcasts, there was a word that you mispronounced in a way that made me think you didn't know its meaning. If you are going to talk about something, make sure you understand it enough so that your presentation sounds polished.
    9. Consider bringing in another person to join you. (also if this is once a week, then you can appropriately schedule it)
    10. Don't be too concerned with getting a following (yet). Your content and delivery needs to improve first. If you have good content - people will listen.
    11. Don't read every tweet you get. If there is something interesting then read it - but it feels a bit like many lame news organizations that are reading peoples tweets...

Once again, please don't take the feedback too negatively. There's a definite market for this but the information needs to be presented in a much more professional way and i'd love to see your project succeed. Also - find your favorite podcast and dissect it. What do they do well, how is it organized, etc.

Good luck! excited to hear more as you progress.
    d

yourHost likes this.
  26. DSebJ

DSebJ

Keep it up.

I thinks some of the others have posted good suggestions.

Really appreciate having a pod-cast to go to to catch up on Unity happenings!

27. yourHost

yourHost

Hey guys,

Over a year on and the podcast is still going strong and focusing more on Unity Devs as guests instead of just Unity news. I had an awesome time in episode #87 hanging out with Nick Turinetti the Project Lead of Saurian: Hell Creek (and 5 other of his team members). Which looks awesome, btw.

You can listen and read a little bit about the show here.

Thanks for listening guys.

Happy Coding!

28. yourHost

yourHost

Hey droderick,

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I really do appreciate it. It's not taken negatively at all. I've taken most of your advice and implemented it as the show has moved forward.

I do like the unedited approach though, I know not everybody does or agrees with it or likes it. I think it makes the show more real. Yes, people make mistakes, technical difficulties, mispronounce things, etc but it's real.

Podcasts where everything's scripted with multiple takes, etc seem and feel fake to me.

In reality, nobody is perfect and I think a lot of people can relate to that.

At any rate, thank your constructive feedback, I really do appreciate it.

29. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

I've tried a couple of times to find your podcast on iTunes but didn't have any luck. I don't generally use iTunes so I may be doing the search incorrectly but tried many variations of Unity, Unity3D, Unity 3D News, etc. I am probably just overlooking something simple. If I click a link off of here then it prompts me to download iTunes, but I already have it installed on the computer. Running Win 10. Any suggestions?

30. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

@Dan_Miller It looks like the OP's twitter has been inactive for the majority of 2016. The show might not be available because it doesn't exist anymore. I can't seem to find it though their provided links either.