Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion-blur caused by LCD screens

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imaginaryhuman, Nov 16, 2013.

1. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I'm on an iMac and also targeting Ouya on an HDTV. I'm making a side-scrolling 2D shootemup similar to Defender, which has a dark background and lots of colored sprites. The player ship flies fairly quickly and there is almost constant scrolling and a lot of movement of enemy sprites. On these supposedly high-quality modern screens, there is a horrible motion blur that occurs when the game scrolls. The sprites become so blurred that you can't make out any of the details and it becomes impossible to focus. I can see this being extremely nauseating/headache inducing so I'm seriously thinking I have no choice but to stop trying to make these kind of scrolling games. I can't expect customers to know how to tweak their TV to try to improve anything, and many TV's can't even be improved in this area because it boils down to the slow transition of picture cells in the display. I had no idea this was such a problem. Back in the CRT days you could get very crisp scrolling graphics at any speed but now the LCD screens are a total blurry mess. I guess I'm just complaining but its disappointing because there's nothing I can do about it. Has anyone else found this, or has it become reason to not pursue fast-scrolling action games? When scrolling is fairly slow it's not so bad but this limits the fun.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Did you get the cheapest TV possible or something? I haven't had this problem in years.

3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

No its a pretty decent 32" LG tv which cost like $450 a few years ago... and my iMac is a 27" top-of-the-line model from a couple of years ago and both have this same issue. I am wondering if the issue is made worse by the high-contrast between a black background and the sprites?

4. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This page is interesting http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/zeromotionblur/
    http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

I guess I'm not nuts :)

Dabbling with the graphics and trying some other scrolling games, I notice that a game like Sonic 4 doesn't show the blur too much mainly because most of the screen is of similar contrast, brightness, color, and there aren't a lot of fine details. In my case it seems i hit on the worse case scenario - high detail, especially high detail in the horizontal direction which matches the scroll direction, fast scrolling, white-on-black high contrast at the edges of moving objects, strong brightness transitions within sprites, etc...

I also switched off bilinear filtering and locked sprite coords to integers and that helps a little bit. But I'm still put off by the remaining blur which is still strong. I guess a game where you're having to focus on and track moving objects with high speed and accuracy is probably not suited to these displays.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  5. Voronoi

Voronoi

Can you lower the frame rate? I once blew up a LCD running a game all day and it was the refresh rate out of unity was too high.. Couldn't keep up.