Search Unity

Unity3D on Linux with Wine: Support thread

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wnk, Nov 15, 2013.

1. eluong

eluong

hey guys, I'm wondering if I could get some help getting this PoL script to work.

I'm running Debian 7 Testing, and I've run into an issue while installing Unity3D. The actual installation and script ran all the way through without any errors, but trying to launch Unity3D crashes immediately.

Here's the logfile:

[12/15/13 06:16:25] - Running wine-1.7.6 Unity.exe (Working directory : /home/user/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Unity3D/drive_c/Program Files/Unity/Editor)
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.
    fixme:wtsapi:WTSQuerySessionInformationW Stub (nil) 0xffffffff 4 0x86e64c 0x86e63c
    err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"WLDAP32.dll": libldap_r-2.4.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    err:module:import_dll Loading library WLDAP32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Unity\\Editor\\LIBPQ.dll") failed (error c000007a).
    err:module:import_dll Library LIBPQ.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Unity\\Editor\\Unity.exe") not found
    err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"WLDAP32.dll": libldap_r-2.4.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    err:module:import_dll Loading library WLDAP32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Unity\\Editor\\libcurl.dll") failed (error c000007a).
    err:module:import_dll Library libcurl.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Unity\\Editor\\WebKit.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library WebKit.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Unity\\Editor\\Unity.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Unity\\Editor\\Unity.exe" failed, status c0000135

If anyone could give me a hand, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. Tomza

Tomza

Change your Linux distro to openSuse 13.1, because there are many problem with other distros if you wish to run Unity3D. I'm testing it with Unity3D. Conclusions:
    So far no problems with Unity3D on openSuse. I've just changed the Wine version to the newest. It's running better than on Windows now. Games aren't choppy; FPS is much better than on Windows was before. I'm amazed. I had many problems with using my old Windows assets. There was a chaos. I tried all ways, and I was unable to solve it. The solution for it is just starting all from scratch. When you build your project from the beginning on Linux (without importing Windows projects) you have no problems with assets. No errors now! I'd like to use my old assets that I had on Windows before, but so far it's impossible. Too much strange errors.
    My advice:
    Just start developing your game from the beginning on Linux. Your old assets from Windows cannot work well. AND USE OPENSUSE 13.1 WITH PLAYONLINUX RUNNING THE RECENT WINE AND THE SCRIPT. I know that other Linux distros sucks. No Debian, no Ubuntu, etc. Maybe later other distros will be good too,but now you will be successful only with openSuse 13.1.
    $Unity4D-Wine-NewSystem5.jpeg

3. Tomza

Tomza

eluong, some libraries are missing. It's simple. if you have a 64 bit architecture, you can have some problems with accessing to the 32 bit libraries. There are some problems with running Unity3D on Windows 64 bit, so with Linux you will have even more problems. Use openSuse 13.1, wine 1.7.8, and the script. if you use Wine 1.7.8, change the line:
    POL_Wine_PrefixCreate "1.7.6"
    to
    POL_Wine_PrefixCreate "1.7.8"

In the script, you see:

export WINEARCH="win32"

so it's for 32 bit systems. To change it, you need some tricks, but I'm not sure you will be successful.

If I were you, I would download openSuse 13.1 32 bit and installed on your computer. There won't be problems with installing Unity3D.

Remember, even if you run Unity3D on Debian, the quality of the Editor won't be perfect. It because of graphics libraries and graphics drivers. To use 3D features on Linux, you should have the recent libraries and drivers. openSuse 13.2 uses OpenGL/ES 2.1 Mesa 9.2.3. I'm testing it, and so far I'm glad.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  4. pullmonkey

pullmonkey

5. eluong

eluong

Just to confirm; for anyone else who happens to stumble upon this page looking for how to install Unity3D on Debian, it works fine using this script.

In Debian 7, you must install the following 32-bit libraries via Multiarch:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    sudo apt-get install libldap-2.4-2:i386
    sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
    sudo apt-get update

Once everything completes, you should have a working Unity3D editor running on your Debian system. Runs very smooth and fully featured (except creating new projects). Confirmed working with the current version of Unity3D 4.3.1f1.

Cheers!

6. Tomza

Tomza

Great, eluong! libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 can be unstable. We wish to know if you will have any problems with Unity3D later.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  7. vet

vet

Thanks for this, but what packages is it downloading to be exact?

8. bubblybee89

bubblybee89

Waneck six, you rock!
    I had been struggling for what seemed like a decade, errors popping up left right and centre, frustration mounting, and then like a dream... I found this thread!

Unity works like a charm, the process was simple and straighforward, simply put: you are my hero!

So to all those Ubuntu users who are having a hard time installing Unity follow the instructions outlined above and hey presto! Unity you shall have.

Now to get down to some developing ^^,

**Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 64bit. Proof that it works.

$Screenshot from 2014-01-02 23:44:17.png

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  9. xplicit-ru

xplicit-ru

Can't get it working on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit. After running script Unity installer can't find free space on the drive. Wine configuration in the 'Drives' tab shows "Failed to connect to the mount manager, the drive configuration cannot be edited". Will try later with handy configuration of wine.

10. xplicit-ru

xplicit-ru

I manually created prefix "Unity3D" in playonlinux, checked that drives are mounted and than run script. Unity was installed, but I could not create new project, the error "Specified path is not valid (should be a name of non-existing or empty directory)" appeared. I found no way to create project from gui. I ran Unity from commandline with argument -createproject test and the project was created. Also I was able to open angry bots sample project, run it, compile to linux platform and run it without wine.
    One bad thing: after Unity3d runs the scene it drops all my custom videocard settings (gamma, color balance etc) to default and I have to run nvidia-settings every time after hitting "play" button.

11. Tomza

Tomza

Do you have Nvidia? There are some problems with Nvidia drivers. Please read all posts in this thread from the beginning. I won't be writing the same again.

12. alberto-lara

alberto-lara

Guys, I can't find the angry bots project, I'm using OpenSuse 13.1, any ideas?

13. xplicit-ru

xplicit-ru

Tomza: Yes, I have nvidia card. I did not see anything in the thread related to my issue of resetting color correction when hit "play" button in Unity 3D.

alberto-lara: It's located in drive_c/users/Public/Documents/Unity Projects/4-0_AngryBots folder. drive_c should be located under ~/.Playonlinux/wineprefix/Unity3D

I've got another issue: can't debug project with monodevelop. When I set breakpoint in monodevelop, Unity 3D editor hangs but monodevelop doesn't show the breakpoint is hit. f5/f10 buttons in monodevelop don't help to unhang Unity 3D.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  14. xplicit-ru

xplicit-ru

Also I made a fix in dotnet35 package installation script and sent it to Playonlinux developers. They updated scripts and dotnet35 now can be installed for higher versions of wine (previous script did not allow to do it). Installation of dotnet35 is necessary if you want to compile Unity 3D projects from monodevelop without every-time switching target platform of projects to .NET 4.

15. Damian-LinuxFan

Damian-LinuxFan

I have little repair of Script and unity 3d works better

Working Create Project 2d and 3d and all effect adding to project
    Working MonoDevelop
    and add to winebrowser (winebrowser.exe) in registry at end %1 write this because this a meany reg keys to change,
    this a repair to open web links in unity

assent store not working because winebrowser not working correct maybe any ideas to repair bug ?

maybe next pals on this forum helping a repair next bugs :)

i use this script and works

i test on fedora 20 and ubuntu 1

Code (csharp):
    2.     #!/bin/bash
    3.     [ "$PLAYONLINUX" = "" ]  exit 0
    4.     source "$PLAYONLINUX/lib/sources"
    6.     POL_SetupWindow_Init
    8.     POL_SetupWindow_presentation "Unity 3D" "Unity" "http://www.unity3d.com/" "Unity3D"
    10.     #create prefix
    11.     export WINEARCH="win32"
    12.     POL_Wine_SelectPrefix "Unity3D"
    13.     POL_Wine_PrefixCreate "1.7.11"
    14.     #setup prefix
    15.     POL_Wine_InstallFonts
    16.     #POL_Call POL_Install_directx9
    17.     POL_Call POL_Install_dotnet20
    18.     POL_Call POL_Install_tahoma
    19.  POL_Call POL_Install_vcrun2008
    20. POL_Call POL_Install_vcrun2010
    21. POL_Call POL_Install_mono210
    22. POL_Call POL_Install_d3dx9_36
    23. POL_Call POL_Install_d3dcompiler_43
    24. POL_Call POL_Install_dxdiag
    25. POL_Call POL_Install_dxfullsetup
    26. POL_Call POL_Install_physx
    27. POL_Call POL_Install_corefonts
    28. POL_Call POL_Install_msxml6
    29. POL_Call POL_Install_wininet
    30. POL_Call POL_Install_ie6
    32. #Setting OS wer
    33. Set_OS  "winxp"
    35. #Setting mono forcing in MonoDevelop
    36. POL_Wine_OverrideDLL "native" "mscore"
    37. POL_Wine_OverrideDLL "" "mscorsvw.exe"
    41.     mkdir -p $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/LocalLow
    43.     #registry
    44.     regfile=$(mktemp --suffix=.REG)
    45.     echo "REGEDIT4" > $regfile
    46.     echo "" >> $regfile
    47.     echo "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion]" >> $regfile
    48.     echo '"ProductId"="12345-oem-0000001-54321"' >> $regfile
    50.     POL_Wine regedit $regfile
    51.     #rm $regfile
    53.     POL_SetupWindow_browse "Please select the location of the Unity3D setup executable" "Unity Setup Executable"
    55.     UNITYLOC=$APP_ANSWER
    56.     POL_Wine $UNITYLOC
    58.     POL_Shortcut "Unity.exe" "Unity 3D"
    60.     POL_SetupWindow_Close
    61.     exit

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  16. Tomza

Tomza

@Damian-LinuxFan, I tried your script out on opneSuse 13.1. I can't create Unity projects like before. Maybe, the reason is that I couldn't install

POL_Call POL_Install_ie6

that is Internet explorer 6 on PlayOnLinux. The same like before, I was forced to use the trick to use Unity3D, pointing to an empty directory.

I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks for your script. We can make it better in the future.

My error:

Error in POL_Download_Resource
    POL_Download - error during download! (2 attempt)

I tried to install IE6 from inside PlayOnLinux - the same problem.

And I got the error in the log file of PLayOnLinux:

[01/24/14 16:15:46] - Running wine-1.7.11 Unity.exe (Working directory : /home/poganin/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Unity3D/drive_c/Program Files/Unity/Editor)
    wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe"

It's clear, but I need find a way to solve it.

I can install IE8, but not IE6. Do you think we should replace

POL_Call POL_Install_ie6

with

POL_Call POL_Install_ie8

?

Do we need IE in Unity3D? I'll try do that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  17. Tomza

Tomza

It works!

Yes, I tried to install Unity3D again, and it really works. Yes, I was right - I couldn't install IE6, so I was unable to create Unity projects. It was like before - pointing to an empty directory. Now, however, I can create Unity project with no problems. It's great. What did I do?

I edited the script Damian-LinuxFan posted in this way:

Instead of

POL_Call POL_Install_ie6

I wrote:

POL_Call POL_Install_ie8

It works great so far.

Thanks Cauê for the script and Damian-LinuxFan for improving it. All Linux fans will be improving it further. I hope soon Unity3D on Linux will be so good as if it worked on Windows.

Tested on openSuse 13.1.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  18. Damian-LinuxFan

Damian-LinuxFan

I look, but on my pc works great, not work only asset store.
    I Tested on Fedora 20 and Ubuntu 13.10 maybe i look on OpenSUSE (old good times :) )
    I'am Working to modificate Wine for Unity 3d only i finish send links on this forum for share to all unity users

19. Tomza

Tomza

I can create unity projects, but cant run MonoDevelop (built-in), as Dominik-LinuxFan said. I got the error:

error parsing parser C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config

Parser returned error 0x8004001

I'll try install it from outside Unity3D.

20. Damian-LinuxFan

Damian-LinuxFan

maybe GG number for priv conversation ??

21. Tomza

Tomza

Damian-LinuxFan, I have GG, but I have never used it. I think it's inactive now.
    Please use:

pogtoma@gmail.com

22. Damian-LinuxFan

Damian-LinuxFan

maybe you use skype my nick live:dkpl

23. Tomza

Tomza

yes, i use

tomasz.zackiewicz1

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  24. Tomza

Tomza

I installed Notepad++ in Unity3D again. It works without problems. So if you can't run MonoDevelop like me, try Notepad++ for editing your scripts in Unity3D. Here's my tutorial:

http://tomaszzackiewicz.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/how-to-setup-notepad-for-unity/

Or maybe other editor. Damian-LinuxFan promised me to make Monodevelop run in Unity3D with no problems. He's working over Wine for better cooperation with Unity3D. I'll try to run MonoDevelop in Unity3D too.

25. Tomza

Tomza

I tried to install the recent MonoDevelop for Unity3D from outside Unity3D (in the same way as with Notepad++). The MonoDevelop installer (XamarinStudio-4.2.2-2.msi) started but didn't continue because it required at least GTK# 2.12.22. I installed all the packets in my operating system, however the installer still doesn't see them.

When I start MonoDevelop built in Unity3D, I still see the previous error. I tried to start MonoDevelop directly, clicking the start icon, and I still see the error. In other words, MonoDevelop built in Unity3D doesn't work on openSuse 13.1.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  26. Tomza

Tomza

I installed SharpDevelop instead of MonoDevelop. There's a similar error as during running MonoDevelop with Unity3D. However, the program starts with the opened file. I can edit the file. But I probably will be using Notepad++ for scripts in Unity3D.

$SharpDevelopError.jpeg

The error:

SharpDevelop Version : 4.4.0.9722-1cfe96d5
    .NET Version : 4.0.30319.1
    OS Version : Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    Current culture : Polish (Poland) (pl-PL)
    Current UI language : en
    Working Set Memory : 0kb
    GC Heap Memory : 11421kb

Unhandled WPF exception
    Exception thrown:
    System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.
    at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.ITfSource.AdviseSink(Guid riid, Object obj, Int32 cookie)
    at System.Windows.Input.TextServicesContext.StartTransitoryExtension()
    at System.Windows.Input.TextServicesContext.RegisterTextStore(DefaultTextStore defaultTextStore)
    at System.Windows.Input.DefaultTextStore.get_Current()
    at System.Windows.Input.TextServicesContext.SetFocusOnDefaultTextStore()
    at System.Windows.Input.InputMethod.EnableOrDisableInputMethod(Boolean bEnabled)
    at System.Windows.Input.TextServicesManager.Focus(DependencyObject focus)
    at System.Windows.Input.KeyboardDevice.ChangeFocus(DependencyObject focus, Int32 timestamp)
    at System.Windows.Input.KeyboardDevice.TryChangeFocus(DependencyObject newFocus, IKeyboardInputProvider keyboardInputProvider, Boolean askOld, Boolean askNew, Boolean forceToNullIfFailed)
    at System.Windows.Input.KeyboardDevice.Focus(DependencyObject focus, Boolean askOld, Boolean askNew, Boolean forceToNullIfFailed)
    at System.Windows.Input.KeyboardDevice.Focus(IInputElement element)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage message, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean handled)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

---- Recent log messages:
    17:04:06.655 [1] INFO - Loading addin Debugger
    17:04:06.897 [6] INFO - Creating default project content
    17:04:06.917 [6] DEBUG - Loading PC for mscorlib...
    17:04:06.951 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5.1\pl\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.953 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5.1\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.953 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5.1\en\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.953 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5\pl\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.953 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.954 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5\en\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.955 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\pl\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.955 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.955 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\en\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.955 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\pl\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.956 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:06.956 [6] DEBUG - Try find XMLDoc @C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\en\mscorlib.xml
    17:04:07.104 [1] INFO - Loading addin XML Editor
    17:04:07.186 [6] DEBUG - Loaded mscorlib from cache in 268 ms
    17:04:07.487 [1] DEBUG - Trying to restore memento of '[AvalonEditViewContent C:\users\poganin\Moje Dokumenty\New Unity Project 5\Assets\test.cs]' from key '1e13ec5:C:\USERS\POGANIN\MOJE DOKUMENTY\NEW UNITY PROJECT 5\ASSETS\TEST.CS'
    17:04:07.532 [1] DEBUG - ActiveContentChanged to [AvalonEditViewContent C:\users\poganin\Moje Dokumenty\New Unity Project 5\Assets\test.cs]
    17:04:07.533 [1] DEBUG - ActiveWorkbenchWindowChanged to [AvalonWorkbenchWindow: test.cs]
    17:04:07.536 [1] DEBUG - NavigationService
    ActiveViewContent: test.cs
    Subview: ${res:FormsDesigner.DesignTabPages.SourceTabPage}
    17:04:07.537 [1] DEBUG - ActiveViewContentChanged to [AvalonEditViewContent C:\users\poganin\Moje Dokumenty\New Unity Project 5\Assets\test.cs]
    17:04:07.544 [1] DEBUG - NavigationService -- resume logging
    17:04:10.059 [1] INFO - Number of screens: 1
    17:04:10.060 [1] INFO - Screen {X=0,Y=0,Width=1280,Height=800}: Validating {X=10,Y=10,Width=750,Height=550}; intersection {X=10,Y=10,Width=750,Height=550}

---- Post-error application state information:
    Installed 3rd party AddIns:
    Workbench.ActiveContent: [AvalonEditViewContent C:\users\poganin\Moje Dokumenty\New Unity Project 5\Assets\test.cs]
    ProjectService.OpenSolution: <null>
    ProjectService.CurrentProject: <null>

$SharpDevelopError2.jpeg

the error with running MonoDevelop in Unity3D:

$SharpDevelopError1.jpeg

You can also use UnityDevelop for writing scripts in Unity Script (JavaScript). It's a rich IDE. When you open a file in UnityDevelop, there's an error in the beginning, but when you click OK, the IDE runs with your file opened.
    $UnityDevelopError.jpeg
    And the file opened in the IDE
    $UnityDevelopError1.jpeg
    You see that UnityDevelop for Unity Script is just like SharpDevelop for C#.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  27. Tomza

Tomza

I've just installed Mesa 10.0.2 on openSuse (there was Mesa 9.2.3 before). My system looks wonderful, but Unity3D with PlayOnLinux and Wine crashed :(. I have an Intel graphics card. So be careful with Mesa. Not all graphics cards support all features the new Mesa. Now, Nvidia seems the worst of all. In spite of these troubles, I won't come back to mesa 9.2.3; I won't simply be using Unity3D. Blender seems work very well (like other software in my system), so the problem is in PlayOnLinux or in Wine, I think.

My error was:

libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so

In other words, my DRI driver didn't work.

I solved the problem; Unity3D runs using Mesa 10.0.2 with no problems. If you ever have such errors, just go to the link:

http://tomaszzackiewicz.wordpress.c...-driver-i965_dri-so-a-3d-graphics-mesa-error/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  28. surfy1h

surfy1h

What version of Unity3d are you using ? becouse I can't passed the License popup at start up

29. Tomza

Tomza

Unity3D 4.3.0f4. The License can't be passed? It's strange. A Free License or Pro? I have never had problems with that, using both the first version of script and the second one. What distro do you use? This solution can work with distros in a different way. I use openSuse 13.1. I'm sure Unity3D works on this distro well. If you use other distro, I have no idea. People say that it works with other distros, too. Read the thread.

I think the License problem isn't connected with our PlayOnLinux and Wine work, it's something different - activation server. Read these:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/ManualActivationGuide.html

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/431262/license-server-problem.html

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/18469/unity-set-up-something-about-needing-a-license-fre.html

I hope it helps. If not, please write more.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry to be a little late to the party.
    Maybe you know,but there is a prototype of the Editor for Linux,but this prototype is not available for download.Finally,Unity Tech sees no reason to make this Editor version as commercial product.

31. Tomza

Tomza

No worries. We will do all to make Editor for Windows run on Linux. We are improving our solution, and soon you will see effects. Even now, Unity3D is good enough for game developing. I'm testing Unity3D all the time. By the way, I don't understand Unity3D Team. A good software should be accessible for all main platforms. Other companies make their programs for Windows, Mac, and Linux. For example, Netbeans IDE. They don't say that there are too few Linux users. They know that there are such users, and they have respect to them. That's all.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry for off-top,but it sounds like:

$you-underestimate-my-power.jpg

33. Tomza

Tomza

Hahaha! No, we should simply create some solution for Linux users. Unity3D Team underestimate Linux users' power :).

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, in any way I wish you all good luck :)

35. Tomza

Tomza

Thanks! We love Unity3D and wish to use the software. I use Unity3D on openSuse 13.1. It works great! Some things should be improved, but it really works.

36. Damian-LinuxFan

Damian-LinuxFan

I'm using Linux of 10 years and programing only, this is a next test for my knowledge, and achieve my target.
    But my progress in wine for Unity3d is still deputies further.
    I mod winebrowser and a couple regs for unity to use asset store works but not completly and crashing i think solve this problem,
    next problem to solve is a MonoDevelop maybe a couple tricks to works good and complie without errors

See you soon guys if i'am finish share with us the results of my work :)

Edited : I use Unity3d 4.3.3f1

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  37. Tomza

Tomza

As to Asset Store, I tried to add the unity3d.kharma protocol to Firefox (about:config) so that the web browser accept it and we can download assets, but so far I have achieved nothing. Maybe there are some Firefox specialists that know how to do that correctly.

The items in Firefox:

network.protocol-handler.external.com.unity3d.kharma;false

network.protocol-handler.app.com.unity3d.kharma;/home/poganin/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Unity3D/drive_c/Program Files/Unity/Editor

There are two ways as to importing Unity Assets: from inside Unity Editor and from outside Unity Editor. Damian-LinuxFan wishes to do that from inside, and me -- from outside.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  38. Tomza

Tomza

To make Unity3D Web Player run on Linux browsers, use Pipelight Project. I wrote an article on it. Alas, I couldn't run Unity3D Web Player, but some were able to do it.

http://tomaszzackiewicz.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/unity3d-and-pipelight-project/

As to Unity3D on Linux, I'm testing it. I noticed that Physics powered by PhysX from NVIDIA is really weak. You have to use really BIG numbers to see the results. For example, I use Gravity -2500 for Y in the Gravity Manager . It's because the environment Unity3D works is emulated.

Good news! FDS-Team from Pipelight Project helped me to run Unity3D Web Player in my browser under Linux. Now it works.

Now you can use Unity3D Web Player under Linux!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  39. Arczi

Arczi

Amazing, good one. I know it is really useful, Linux is kind of software with doesn't use such many RAM and processor like Windows, really helpful.

40. whatsoever

whatsoever

Hey I managed to install unity3d on Fedora 20 using POL and the script from this thread. I run it and am able to create a new project, but when it loads i get this picture, can someone please give me some advice how to handle this?

http://i59.tinypic.com/2lka33n.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  41. Tomza

Tomza

OMG! What is it?!!!!!!!! I have never used Fedora with Unity3D, but you should remember that your distro is unstable. It's hard to guess what's happening because I have never seen something like that. There can be many reasons. I need more details. But if you don't want any troubles, just use openSuse 13.1 with Mesa 10.0.3 and with Notepad++ for creating and editing scripts. This is my proposition. I'm testing it. People who use this configuration have no troubles. It's really stable - you can make games as if you worked under Windows. So far, we can't run Asset Store, but some day we will do that. Web Player is working for Linux, too.

42. whatsoever

whatsoever

This is the result of `lspci -v | grep VGA`

And this is the result of `glxinfo | grep OpenGL`

If that is any help to troubleshooting he problem

43. Tomza

Tomza

Oh, yes, now I see. You have NVIDIA. Well, the best is Intel. I have Intel.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ith-linux-pledges-help-on-open-source-driver/

There's a silent war between NVIDIA and Linux. Mesa is like Directx under Windows. Mesa is an open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification - a system for rendering interactive 3D graphics. New Mesa is fully supported by Intel, but with NVIDIA can be some problems. You need the recent drivers for your graphics card. Only such drivers and the newest 3D libraries can make Unity3D working well as if under Windows.

Sorry, I meant Mesa 10.0.2. Mesa 10.0.3 isn't available for openSuse yet; we have to wait some days to get it. I use the X11:XOrg repository.

You should know that it's important not only a distro you are using but also the company that made your graphics card. NVIDIA seems the worst choice for Linux nowadays. I hope NVIDIA and Linux will be living in peace some day.

44. Tomza

Tomza

Look at my results:

lspci -v | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.0.2
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    OpenGL extensions:

45. whatsoever

whatsoever

Is mesa compatible with Nvidia, or do i have to get nvidia drivers?

46. Tomza

Tomza

read about drivers on the Mesa website. Your graphics card seems supported.

http://www.mesa3d.org/systems.html

NVIDIA GPUs.

But I don't see Mesa in your results. Try to use openSuse. There's Mesa, but too old to render 3D graphics well, so I installed Mesa 10.0.2 and changed the software provider for 3D libraries. On Intel, it works perfect. I have no idea what with NVIDIA.

I have no idea if Fedora supports Mesa libraries.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  47. whatsoever

whatsoever

I'll play around with it and post results, thanks for the help. :)

48. Tomza

Tomza

You're welcome. Just do everything what is in my tutorials. If you need advice, feel free to write. Good luck!

49. syshex

syshex

Hey Everyone !

Been trying to use Unity3D in Linux using Wine, but just about gave up on it, due to much instability and just not being usable at all ( annoying problems with the save, speed, etc).

So, I've got no dual boot, I just use Linux for my day to day, and will not mess about with my hd just to accommodate a OS that I would only use for this. I went with VMware and got it to work beautifully. In case anyone wants to know how :

- Install proper video drivers on Linux, with 3d acceleration etc
    - Install VMWare player for Linux
    - Install Windows 7 in VMware.
    - Install VMWare Tools on Windows 7
    - Shutdown Windows 7 OS instance.

Now, go to the folder where the VMX files are and edit the VMX file to add or modify the following lines like so :

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
    mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE"

Save VMX file.

- Start Windows 7 Instance
    - Install Unity
    - Use Unity

50. Tomza

Tomza

Thanks for info. Unity3D runs on Linux very stable. I can make games as under Windows. The problem is to choose a suitable Linux distro and have recent drivers and libraries (Mesa). It's good to have an Intel graphics card, too. I will never be using Windows for Unity3D.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014