Search Unity

Could not serialize text file projectsettings/projectsettings.asset after upgrade

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bagelbaker_legacy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. We have asset serialization set to "Force Text".
    Our projectsettings.asset was in text format on 4.2.1
    We upgraded to 4.3
    The current projectsettings.asset is in binary. If we make a change and do File->Save Project we get the following error:

"Could not serialize text file projectsettings/projectsettings.asset because an error occured - we probably ran out of memory."

Memory on the system is not an issue (tons of memory in Activity Monitor + the bug happens even after a reboot).

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Yumby

Yumby

+1 - Seeing the same thing. It doesn't seem to cause any problems but the error message is annoying.

3. Lotti

Lotti

same here! we need this thing fixed!

4. vegashacker

vegashacker

I haven't yet seen the memory issue, but we are seeing that on upgrade to 4.3, our ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset is now in binary even though "Force Text" is set. Would like to see this fixed.

5. vokial

vokial

i'm also seeing this thing, just upgrade unity 4.2 to 4.3.1

6. SpookyFishGames

SpookyFishGames

just upgraded to 4.3.1 and having the same issue.

7. workaround:
    1. Create empty project with serialization set to "Force Text".
    2. Save project, make sure projectsettings.asset is now in text mode.
    3. Copy projectsettings.asset from empty project over the one from your project
    4. Redo changes...
    Not cool but works. Our projectsettings.asset is now in text mode and we can see readable differences when making changes for version control (git)

8. MrCranky

MrCranky

That's a good point bagelbaker. Looking back in my source control history for the file, it's obvious now that the 4.2 -> 4.3 upgrade converted it into a binary file for no good reason, even though our project is set to use text serialisation for assets. I suspect it's that disparity that's making Unity moan now - it's found a binary asset when it was expecting a text one. I will maybe see if I can't revert the file to the 4.2 version and then reapply all of our Player changes since then.

9. Tethys

Tethys

We get the following error every time we try to save the project:

Could not serialize text file projectsettings/projectsettings.asset because an error occured - we probably ran out of memory.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  10. Masashi-Wada

Masashi-Wada

The binary was contained in scriptingDefineSymbols [0] and metroCertificatePassword in my case.
    Therefore, I reset WindowsStore:Cerficate.
    And the following editor scripts were run.

[MenuItem("Tools/PlayerSettingsPresets/ProjectSettings serialize Repair")]
    public static void PlayerSettingsPresets_ProjectSettings()
    {
    PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(BuildTargetGroup.Unknown, "");
    AssetDatabase.Refresh(ImportAssetOptions.ForceUpdate);
    }

"Could not serializetext file projectsettings/projectsettings.asset because an error occured - we probably ran out of memory" and I do not see.

You can use binary2text.exe (Editor\Data\Tools) and can look for the non-text contained in the item of ProjectSettings.asset.

11. privman

privman

Thank you SO MUCH bagelbaker. This was driving me crazy! I can't believe it took me two months to discover your comment here :)

mateiasu likes this.